or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Problem with MacBook Pro Nvidia Graphics card
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Problem with MacBook Pro Nvidia Graphics card - Page 2

post #41 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMan View Post

I am greatly surprised that Apple has put the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory in the latest greatest new MBP Retina

They just had a manufacturing defect with that model and I think it applied to a batch of the 9600M GT models. Beyond that, they didn't have any problems - NVidia don't purposely make defective chips or they'd go out of business fairly quickly. Apple shipped the NVidia 320M after the issues with the 8600M GT. They just phased NVidia out for a while. We probably won't know all the reasons behind it. It might not have been related to the defects but which GPU options were best at the time. Quite a lot of manufacturers are going with NVidia now so they must have done something right this time round.
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMan View Post

post, which Huddler has chosen not to quote at all…

I thought the exact same, you know? But there hasn't been any problem with the 9400M or 9600M in the intervening years, and that was the last nVidia card Apple used after the fiasco, so I suppose Apple trusts them again. So, until nVidia proves us otherwise, I imagine they're trustworthy.

They have a history of cards that run hot, and jabs are taken at them in much the same way "elevator shots" were jabs against the Apple rumor community years ago (before we adopted that as a joke of our own), but I don't think any of their cards since the 8600M have failed so spectacularly. I guess they're good.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #43 of 80

Yes they are a reputable company, well thought of in many circles. Also the new MBPr is getting fantastic reviews. So I guess everything is going well. I had read some grumbling about Apple switching back on the new unit and I was just curious. Seems in looking at all the different ones out there AMD and NVidia pretty much are running neck n neck. I'm not in the market for a laptop now that I have an iPad; it pretty much serves all my portable needs and a lot less to carry around I might add. Thanks for the info

post #44 of 80

Apple gave me a new replacement computer because of the NVIDIA graphic card issue due to my computer having multiple repairs and continued graphic failures. I had a 15-inch Macbook Pro with the bad NVIDIA graphic card. Apple replaced it with a brand new 15-inch Macbook Pro. Yes, I am a happy Apple customer. But I do understand and feel for all the customers who have had the NVIDIA issue and who have not fared as well as me.

 

My 2008 Pro failed less than 3 months ago and was diagnosed by an Austin Apple store as having the graphic card failure. Apple replaced my logic board for free to fix it. I also had Apple replace my hard drive before I brought it home because a genius said it was beginning to fail. It wasn't long afterward that I had the same graphic problems and took it back to the same south Austin Apple store, which again diagnosed graphic card failure on my computer and replaced the logic board a second time. 

 

Not longer that, I had the same problems show up a third time: no video, distorted video, the computer screen spontaneously dimming at times, geometric designs periodically popping up for a few moments and filling my entire computer screen, and other issues. I took it back to the same south Austin Apple store and got a jerk genius. He looked and saw I had two graphic card failures and right off told me that was not the problem again, though he clearly saw there were major video problems with the computer. He said the issue was Safari and he reinstalled it. That did not work. Then he said it was operating system and he wanted to keep it yet again overnight and reinstall it, though the operating system had just been reinstalled by Apple. He told me geometric designs suddenly popping up on my screen was normal and everything was normal, and that the video issue was probably just a minor thing. He said because Apple had installed new graphic cards with a NVIDIA fix on them in my computer, and it certainly wasn't the graphic card. He was very protective of Apple and basically telling me it was not Apple's problem. I decided I didn't trust him with my computer and told him I didn't want to give it up right now to get it fixed and left with my poorly working computer. When Apple sent me a customer survey to follow up on the visit, I gave the genius a scathing review. I was a most unhappy Apple customer.

 

For more than 2 months after that I basically had no video. I dealt with the dimming computer screen, geometric designs popping up on my screen, etc., just because I did not want to deal again with Apple. As my 90-day warranty for the last replaced logic board was nearing its end, I took my computer to the Apple store in north Austin, which is closer to my home. Here I got great service. The genius ran diagnostics and tried to fix the video and could not. I said I wanted a replacement computer because of the continued problems and that I was aware of the Seattle small claims court case where Apple reps testified that all the NVIDIA graphic cards available to repair computers with this issue were all defective, meaning, in essence, that a bad NVIDIA card would be replaced with another bad NVIDIA card when a repair was made, resulting in an unreliable repair. I said that meant Apple could not reliably fix my computer. I was very nice and matter-of-fact about it.

 

The genius looked at my history of multiple graphic issues in less than 3 months and went to talk to his manager, and they both came back and told me Apple was giving me a new computer. The manager said my continuing problems with the computer were unacceptable to Apple and a new 15-inch Macbook Pro replacement would be provided me. Truthfully, I was stunned, and asked them to repeat that. The genius and manager made me feel like a very valued customer and couldn't have been nicer. I was charmed.

 

I left the store less than 30 minutes later with my new Macbook Pro, joyfully shocked. Yes, I'm a happy Apple customer and will sing its praises to everyone I meet, but I get I'm a lucky customer on this issue. I’ve read the tons of complaints from Pro users left with broken computers because of the NVIDIA defect and feeling Apple left them high and dry. I think Apple needs to address the NVIDIA issue in such a way to take care of all its customers who unknowingly bought  defective computers and are finding their computers  dying prematurely. Apple is better off with happy customers. 


Edited by Ilene - 7/20/12 at 8:48pm
post #45 of 80

Just to clarify my last post: I had three graphical failures with my computer before I got the replacement. My 2008 Pro failed in spring 2012 and was diagnosed by an Apple store as the NVIDIA GPU issue, and I was given a free replacement logic board. That replacement failed and I was given  another free logic board replacement. When I had more graphical failures during the 90-day warranty period of the last logic board replacement, I was given a replacement computer. Original logic board plus two replacement logic boards all apparently failed. I will say that the Apple store did not definitively say my GPU had failed the third time when it gave me a replacement, though the graphical problems were the same problems I'd had all along. The Apple store manager just said I'd had enough problems - three computer failures of the same nature - to warrant a replacement.

post #46 of 80

Last year I had my 8600m GT graphics card replaced under the 4 year extended warranty program. I bought my 15" MBP in August 2007, and the Nvidia card was replaced last June, 2011. Of course it was replaced with the same defective unit and my replacement card started failing this past March again, less than a year after the warranty replacement, but outside the 90 day warranty. The failures weren't too bad, mostly weird looking widgets etc but are starting to get worse and now are throwing windows server crashes all the time (as a result of the nvidia card). I got it replaced in Pasadena Ca, but have moved to Colorado since, and took it into the "genius" bar in Boulder, Co on Sunday and was told i was out of luck, except for a flat $300 fix. Of course, the "genious" kid didn't really give me the time of day, just looked up my history and then told me in more ways than one that apple wouldn't honor the previous repair.

 

Am i really out of luck? Is there anyway around the 90 day warranty, especially if they were knowingly replacing the part with another defective part? I realize that 4 years out of a computer is average, but i expected more when I shelled out $2000 for my MPB. 

post #47 of 80
Originally Posted by CharlieTheCat View Post

Am i really out of luck? Is there anyway around the 90 day warranty, especially if they were knowingly replacing the part with another defective part? I realize that 4 years out of a computer is average, but i expected more when I shelled out $2000 for my MPB. 

 

Tell your story to the manager, say you know full well about the problem and how all defective units are simply being re-replaced with more defective units, and that you'd like another replacement, as this is unacceptable.


Or you can e-mail… forget his name; you'll have to look it up on Apple.com… the VP of customer relations, tell HIM your story, give him case numbers and whatever, and one of his associates should get back to you like that.

 

The 8600M fiasco never should have happened, and they should have just given all users brand new 320M computers.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #48 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleProUser View Post

I bought my first ever MacBook Pro in late 2007, and I'll be honest I really liked it until it died on me out of blue. Upon talking to Apple Technical Care Rep, Visiting the Store and again talking to Apple Care Rep they all conluded that unfortunately my MacBook Pro had the defective Nvidia that Apple and Nvidia bothk new and both companies very smartly decided to address the issue only for those users whose machines died early in their life cycle and left others sitting on the ticking time bomb to explode in the matter of time.

Maybe both these companies saw this as a money making opportunity?

I always heard good feedback and had a positive customer service experiece until I ran into this problem. Today when I visited the apple store in Yorkdale Mall in Ontario Canada rep was like "Graphics card dies on you if you want it to be fixed you need to pay $525+, otherwise you are wasting my time kind of look". Very BAD experince. I am just 4 months above the timeline that Apple and nvidia had decided to fix it, if you are lucky enough to have it gone bad in period of 4 years they will fix it for you.

At the time of purchase I even purchased extended Apple Care/Protection Plan that itself costed me around $300+ additional, if I remember correctly that time I spent close to $2800 on this MacBook Pro purchase, which comes around 2-4 Windows Laptop, depending which brand and configuration you buy.

Since my first purchase I have bought various apple products including software and hardware, including all OS that were released since then until now. Recently being my new iPhone 4S.

If Ihave to go the path that Apple reps are asking me to take, it comes pretty close to $800 per year expense with owning this Apple MacBook Pro, which is beyond my understanding.

My point is if part would have gone bad due to any other issue or mis-use I am ok to take the hit, but if Apple knew about bad part I would have expected Apple to correct it for all identified serial numbers.

Instead of taking care of the issue Apple is trying to hide behind Nvidia and blaming them for the problem, I DID NOT buy Nvidia product I bought Apple and I want Apple to take care of this issue.


If anyone of you are going through the same issue please chime in, if you are one of those who is sitting on the ticking bomb take this as a piece of advice and make sure you take regular backup.


I AM RETHINKING ON MY DECISION TO WHETHER TO SHIFT TO APPLE OR STAY WITH MY MORE RELIABLE WINDOWS BASED PC, ATLEAST THEY ARE CHEAPER TO FIX AND WORST CASE JUST BUY NEW ONE THAT WILL COST LESS THAN APPLE REPAIR COST.

The exact same thing happened to me. I purchased mine in 2007, June... and it went bad. They released the official publication on apple.com saying they acknowledged the defect, of the May 2007 manufactured devices... and they would fix them, if they were in the 4 year timeline... IN september 2011. When I pointed out that they released this after many of these computers were already 4+ years, they basically told me to screw off, OR pay 300 dollars.

post #49 of 80
Same problem as the rest of you
Paid for apple care then system fails a few months after the 4 year limit
spoke to apple care Canada - no they won't repair under warranty. They didn't even offer to repair for the $300 I see mentioned here. The so called senior supervisor Kevin said "knowone in corporate apple is allowed to authorize warranty repairs outside of the warranty period". That seems VERY unlikely!

To the person with the replaced MBP - were you within the 4 yr time limit when you initiated your first repair? What store handled this for you?

Apple's support on this issue is shameful. If it was up to me I would at least offer affected users a substancial upgrade discount to move them into a more reliable version and turn them back into satisfied customers.

I speak from first hand experience in the electronics industry where we would NEVER leave customers unsatisfied as a result of a known manufacturing defect. We did whatever it took to satisfy a customer when we had a series of bad circuit boards. Warranty period had no bearing. If the failure was a known defect we replaced or repaired all the components free of charge including inbound and outbound shipping no questions asked.

Discouraged ... to see this from Apple who charges a premium price and sugests premium service and support. My $300 bucks for apple care down the drain

Thinking of smashing my MBP outside the local Apple store and picketing ouside to get the word out on how poorly customers a being treated on this issue. Might slow their business down a bit. Any others interested? we could get pickets going across a large area on the same day and maybe make the news. Some negative CNN coverage might elevate this issue. Maybe then they would take a more responsible position.

Customers unite to send Apple a message regarding their lack of Apple care
post #50 of 80
Originally Posted by wtf12srs View Post
Customers unite to send Apple a message regarding their lack of Apple care

 

Four years of out of warranty service on the defect. There was no "lack" of anything. No news station is going to pick this up. No lawsuit is going to be allowed. 

 

You want to be dumb enough to destroy your possessions, feel free. You'll be left without a computer. What are you gonna do, go to DELL?! HA!

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #51 of 80

I was apparently "out of the cutoff period" by 8 days. 8 Days. The machine started having issues on Sept 17 while on vacation and ended up completely failing on Oct 3rd. I decided to look into what was happening and see if MAYBE I could repair it when I found this massive GPU issue. I scheduled time on Oct 8th in hopes of getting it repaired. Apple told me...after looking up all my information via my Applecare info...that I purchase on Oct 31st. Which means I was out of luck by only 8 days.

 

NOW...to any one on here that says...it was out of warranty, tough luck. I get that. Out of warrany is out of warranty.

 

HOWEVER...I have a problem for two major reasons.

 

1) I bought Applecare. Which meant that I registered that MBP with them. So they KNEW every thing about me...email...phone...address...what I bought...when I bought...etc. AND they knew I had a machine that MIGHT have the GPU issue. So why not send out some form of letter to allow me to understand, completely, that this issue might happen and if so....well hey we're being nice to fix it FOR FREE.

 

They didn't. But they were more than happy to let me know I was 8 days out of luck.

 

Car companies do this on regular basis. I got a letter about an issue with a car that I had traded off. Turns out the issue that the car MIGHT have had...mine did...AND if so they would gladly repay me for the cost. I didn't even buy that car new or still own the car...but some how they knew how to get in touch with me and let me know that if it happened please let them know.

 

Interesting that Apple, a genius among computer companies, can't be bothered. Of course they can send me email receipts on purchases.

 

2) This is the issue that REALLY gets me! They issue the notice on July 2008...apparently after researching this. And yet they continued to sell these machines. I bought mine Oct 2008. 2 months after the fact.

 

I don't know it's frustrating and disappointing. I've been an Apple fan since my 7200 in college. I've literally spent 1,000 on Apple. I've always had good luck. But this is really stinky.

post #52 of 80
Originally Posted by jbfatcats View Post

1) I bought Applecare.

 

The warranty on the GPU was extended for all owners.

 

So why not send out some form of letter to allow me to understand, completely, that this issue might happen and if so....well hey we're being nice to fix it FOR FREE.

 

They did, at least twice.

 

They didn't.

 

They did. At least twice.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #53 of 80

If a product is bad, it's bad. Time should not be an issue for replacement if the defective part is the cause for failure of the unit. The 4 year limit is not fair practice if a manufacturer defect is the only reason you are stuck with a dead computer versus a working machine.

 

I don't buy into the concept of planned obsolescence or a 4 year life cycle for a $2000 dollar device being acceptable. People have been acclimated to it with the way ipods die directly outside of warranty, but that doesn't make it right. I have other laptops that still run fine, like my 2001 Titanium, and a couple of other machines. It should be the customers choice when they decide to stop using a machine, not that a company feels 4 years is long enough for a machine to work. 

 

My 2008 MBP's logic board just failed so I'm basically out of luck since the recall program ended January 7th. And the resale value is barely above the cost of replacing the logic board with the same part which is known to fail, so it's a bad investment.

 

It's a given that the power supply will fail. Instead of designing the unit so the weakest part (the wire with the magsafe connector which should cost $20) can be replaced, you need to buy an entire replacement unit for 4 times the cost. This is a cash cow for Apple. Mine failed, but it was expected so I priced it in as part of owning a Mac laptop.

 

I had the display replaced after that failed 6 months after I bought the machine, luckily that was still under warranty.

 

My superdrive failed, outside of warranty, another part which has a high likelihood to fail on the MBP, so I just don't have a usable drive in my laptop for the past year. Not a big deal if the core machine still worked.

 

At this point I'm going to do a bake since it's just an aluminum paperweight and not worth putting any money into so if I can breath a bit more life into it it's worth a shot. I 've been an Apple user since my Powerbook 100  (it still runs), but I can't see investing in another mac again. Not with how the company culture has moved away from core qualities of a machine that is internally sound versus a fancy chassis filled with substandard components. My IBM Thinkpad, my Viao which are both over 6 years old have never had any issues, so saying that a computer lasting 4 years is great is simply not true. Plenty of computers last a lot longer than 4 years and a premium product should be the front runner in terms of reliability, not at the bottom of the list.

post #54 of 80
Originally Posted by Fudomyo View Post

I don't buy into the concept of planned obsolescence or a 4 year life cycle…

 

Should have stopped here instead of continuing with conspiracies.

 

My 2008 MBP's logic board just failed so I'm basically out of luck since the recall program ended January 7th.

 

You could always pay for it.

 

…I can't see investing in another mac again. Not with how the company culture has moved away from core qualities of a machine that is internally sound versus a fancy chassis filled with substandard components.

 

Goodbye. If you want to make up reasons for problems that aren't true, even in the face of being told exactly what the truth is, go ahead and buy something else.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #55 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Should have stopped here instead of continuing with conspiracies.

 

 

You could always pay for it.

 

 

Goodbye. If you want to make up reasons for problems that aren't true, even in the face of being told exactly what the truth is, go ahead and buy something else.

 



Every problem I listed is true and has been experienced by many other people who bought this computer. (as I discovered by trying to find out why my computer died)

 

The admission by Apple that they had sold a defective product isn't something that anyone is making up here, so why are you making it your mission to shoot down anyone who talks about it?

 

Rather than using inflammatory words like conspiracy to build a straw man argument, either accept the fact that there are issues with this computer, or provide evidence to the contrary. The only thing that matters to anyone is getting value for their money or not.

 

Why should I pay for something I already paid for?  That is the bottom line.

 

If you don't see how illogical it is to say "you could just pay for it", I really don't know how to explain it any more clearly.

 

I work hard for my money. I get paid for doing good work. If I buy something that comes broken in the box why should I accept that as normal?

 

Rather than being demeaning, perhaps you could explain why this is acceptable.

post #56 of 80
Originally Posted by Fudomyo View Post
Every problem I listed is true and has been experienced by many other people who bought this computer. (as I discovered by trying to find out why my computer died)

 

Indeed. I myself have this model and have experienced problems. What you are claiming, that this whole thing was by design, is off.


The admission by Apple that they had sold a defective product isn't something that anyone is making up here…

 

Correct, Apple has acknowledged the faulty Nvidia chips.

 

Why should I pay for something I already paid for?

 

You were given four years from purchase date to take it in and get it fixed. That's plenty of time for any excuse.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #57 of 80

New user here (PC builder, no less), just read through the whole thread- very interesting. Figured I would add my story...

My GF has a Macbook Pro, circa May 2008 with a Nvidia 8600M GT GPU. She has just recently been experiencing problems with her display. Some background: she leaves it on 24/7, and is in sleep mode except mornings (~8-9AM) and evenings (~5- 12AM).

One evening she pops it open and the display is blank- no video. I power the Mac down and I grab one of my Viewsonic monitors with a DVI to VGA adapter, plug it into the Mac, and power the Mac on to see if it's actually putting out any video... surprisingly the screen comes to life and all is well.

The next day, same drill- no display. Hook it up to the monitor, this time nothing. Start at step 1 again: turn off Mac, connect monitor, turn on Mac. Sure enough, attempt #2 is successful! Super, but going downhill.

Today I come home earlier than the GF, and attempt to wake the Mac... HD spins up, display is a no go. OK, been here before: hook up monitor, boot up, no display. OK, do it twice. Nothing. Third time is the charm (playing statistics)... no dice still. White flag is up when the GF arrives. She hits the power and with her magic Mac fingers, the beast awakens!! Great! Until the next time.

She is using it as I type this entry on my trusty, 8-year-old, handbuilt, forged, polished, PC. OK, maybe not forged or polished, but the other adjectives are true.

 

So this problem drove me to this forum and this post. A new logic board seems like the catch-all problem-solver, but no thanks for 9 bills (http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-17-Inch-Model-A1229-2-4-GHz-Logic-Board/IF187-058?utm_source=ifixit_guide&utm_medium=guide_intro&utm_content=required_items&utm_term=macbook_pro_17%22_models_a1151_a1212_a1229_and_a1261).

Ebay guy seems legit for $170 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Pro-A1260-A1229-A1226-A1211-logic-board-REPAIR-/230633002794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b2cc572a#ht_2688wt_983), however does anyone on this forum have experience with this eBayer? Are there any other viable options I can look at?

 

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll be sure to post back results if I go with the eBay fix, or otherwise - all based on your responses.

 

 

 

Thank you to Tallest Skil for the links!

post #58 of 80

The eBay guy has some negative feedback but none about the 80 logic board repairs he's done on that model so I'd say it's the best option. Just be sure to remove the hard drive and back it up if possible, possibly remove any sexy pics of your girlfriend on there or other personal info before sending it. The drive can get damaged during shipping.

Also be aware that the repair most likely involves a used part because they were manufactured so long ago - they won't have made any new parts for a long time. The defect will appear in all machines after a given time and people have found that a replacement part can fail soon after a repair. They do give a 30-day warranty though.
post #59 of 80

I had to join to reply to your insensitive and ignorant comments. 

 

Quote:
You were given four years from purchase date to take it in and get it fixed. That's plenty of time for any excuse.

As many times as you might repeat that Apple notified customers twice about this issue, it is not true.  I purchased applecare with my 2008 macbook pro and had discussed problems numerous times. Never was I told about a logic board issue.  Also never received ANY correspondence from apple regarding this issue. It should not have been difficult considering I had applecare on the computer. Fortunately, I talked to an exceptional senior advisor at applecare when my Nvidia crashed  (this is after taking the computer to the genius goons  at the Apple Store who fed me with so much misinformation it was sad. I received a new logic board and no only is the display back up and working but issues with the trackpad were also resolved.

post #60 of 80

I also have a MBP purchased in Dec 2007, ordered online and shipped, purchased AppleCare so they had my info, I have not moved. I have never received any notification about a faulty part, it should not be my responsibility to scour the web for possible recall information on a product, why would I think my brand new MBP would have an issue? I have received recall information in the mail for my car, why didn't apple go to the same lengths to notify it's customers?


Edited by HappyAcresKY - 1/17/13 at 5:07am
post #61 of 80
Originally Posted by HappyAcresKY View Post
I also have a MBP purchased in Dec 2007…

 

Then you've had five years of use. Time to move on.


I was also able to get it to boot…

 

Wonderful! Now they'll be able to run the test again. Don't expect anything, though, even if it comes back 'Nvidia'.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #62 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Then you've had five years of use. Time to move on.

 

Wonderful! Now they'll be able to run the test again. Don't expect anything, though, even if it comes back 'Nvidia'.

I don't appreciate your condescending tone. 

 

I just left my genius appointment and they are fixing my MBP at no charge to me. It would not boot so they couldn't run any tests but I went in prepared and stated the facts. It wasn't easy but I am determined... was there for an hour and 15 min, talked to a 'genius' and 2 managers. 

post #63 of 80
Originally Posted by HappyAcresKY View Post

I just left my genius appointment and they are fixing my MBP at no charge to me. It would not boot so they couldn't run any tests but I went in prepared and stated the facts. It wasn't easy but I am determined... was there for an hour and 15 min, talked to a 'genius' and 2 managers. 

 

Good. Congrats.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #64 of 80

Well this just happened to my old laptop. I first found out about this at this time. I don't ever recall hearing about this before. It is the GPU failure for sure. I luckily had the MBP set up for remote screen sharing and could run it remotely without it's screen. The system report shows integrated graphics and no Nvidia card at all. I am way past the deadline of course so doubt that I will even try since they would probably not do it. At least it still runs without the screen...

post #65 of 80

A month ago my 2008 MacBookPro suddenly developed what I quickly discovered was the fatal NVIDIA fault.  But after reading posts from other UK owners I realised that in the UK we have the additional protection of the Sale of Faulty Goods Act.  I got confirmation of the fault from the Genius Bar (nice chap there, genuinely knew what he was talking about), contacted Amazon, from whom I'd bought the laptop, and explained that the Act covered the purchase of any product which turned out to have been faulty when dispatched for up to 5 years (Scotland) or 6 years (England).  I cited the Apple website's admission of fault and the legal case between Apple and NVIDIA.  Amazon took it up with Apple on my behalf, and Apple collected my laptop, repaired it for free and even as a goodwill gesture gave me a brand new battery!  My MacBookPro was returned by courier promptly, politely, and fully fixed for free.  I am very, very pleasantly surprised - all credit to Amazon and Apple on this occasion!  I couldn't recommend this approach more.  Just stay calm, be polite, and cite the legal obligation if you bought your laptop in the UK.

post #66 of 80

Hey There- I am wondering how it went with your scenario.  Am having a similar experience and disappointed that despite 3 fixes noone even bothered to inform me of this "problem".  Deception?  or ignorance?  both are crappy! Now I am finally informed but feeling powerless as I am out of the time frames.  Help!

post #67 of 80

Same experience- never notified despite being easy to find.  Am not in the habit of searching for problems before signs and symptoms.  Nor am I a "computer person" who would know what to look for and where.  My MBP has the doomed nvidia and has had 3 replacement logic boards and I have not heard a peep about the nvidia/apple catastrophe.  Only found out today as I felt brave enough to search for the reason for my initialization error with inserted dvd's.  What a freaking shock to discover all of this.  My question is to anyone out there who experienced a resolution... are they replacing with anything other than the faulty nvidia's?  And are your problems still resolved?  I am/was a huge apple fan but believe reality has altered my perspective- time to peel the apple off my truck.

post #68 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirljourney View Post

are they replacing with anything other than the faulty nvidia's?

The NVidia chips are soldered to the motherboard so they can only put in the same boards, which have the same defects. They stopped manufacturing them years ago so they'll run out of motherboards eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirljourney 
I am/was a huge apple fan but believe reality has altered my perspective- time to peel the apple off my truck.

It was NVidia's fault, there's not much Apple could have done about it. A $1500 laptop bought in 2007 would be worth about $300 today so perhaps Apple could have offered a trade-in value against the purchase of a new Mac or iOS device for remaining people affected by it but it could affect as many as 5 million people and I think they've covered the legally required timeframe for support. It sucks to be on the receiving end of it but it's the same for Apple. They don't want unhappy customers and the cost has probably been over $1b to sort out and the fault of NVidia.

It affected PC users too because they used the same chips.
post #69 of 80

Doesn't change the fact that I've been to the apple store 4 times and 3 logic boards later no one has mentioned the word nvidia to me.  That's not about windows or nvidia- that's apple.

post #70 of 80
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned NVIDIA in the three times you've been to an Apple store, as when I took mine the chap recognised the fault straight away and then ran the 'NVIDIA' test on it (although having read up before going, I was primed to ask about it). If you live in the UK then I can only recommend doing what I did. I don't know whether my logic board has been replaced with one with the same potential problem or not, but if it fails again then I will do exactly the same...
post #71 of 80

"The NVidia chips are soldered to the motherboard so they can only put in the same boards, which have the same defects. They stopped manufacturing them years ago so they'll run out of motherboards eventually." ,  from Marvin's response.

I took my MBP in with a black out and was told for $310 they could ship it to Memphis and no matter what's wrong that price would cover it.  Actually made it sound like I was getting a good deal.  When I got it back I was told I got a new logicboard.  Then she got new symptoms within 3 weeks and they sent it back to Memphis under warranty.  This time was told they replaced the logicboard and increased the RAM(?)  am not a techie so just felt pretty darn grateful.  Then it blitzed 5 weeks later and was told the logicboard was replaced.  Now I get "initialization error" each time I insert a dvd so I googled it and voila... found out all this about NVidia.  News to me.  Kind of disappointed.  My MBP is like an older nice car with very low mileage so to hear it's not worth much and has a terminal disease is a nightmare.

post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirljourney View Post

Doesn't change the fact that I've been to the apple store 4 times and 3 logic boards later no one has mentioned the word nvidia to me.  That's not about windows or nvidia- that's apple.

I refuse to believe that. It's just not possible if you're actually having this issue.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #73 of 80

4 times at the apple store with 2 different MBP's and not one word from the apple geeks?  does not matter what you refuse to believe.  tis my experience... not yours.  any explanations for the lack of transparency while you're offering your opinions?  don't get me wrong, i could never go back to pc or windows.  i am just not as fanatic anymore.

post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirljourney View Post

4 times at the apple store with 2 different MBP's and not one word from the apple geeks?

Right; if you were there for the nVidia defect each time, it's statistically improbable that they'd never actually SAY that.
Quote:
i am just not as fanatic anymore.

For something nVidia, not Apple, did?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #75 of 80

 "it's statistically improbable that they'd never actually SAY that it's statistically improbable that they'd never actually SAY that".

Read my lips- The symptoms were always similar and each time they did their diagnostics and some times they sent them away for work and sometimes they found nothing upon evaluating and sent me home.  NEVER ONE WORD ABOUT MY  MBP NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD. PERIOD.  I don't give a rat's ass about your statistics.  My complaint is currently beyond the problems and culpability issue and about transparency of this issue with MBP's.

Good Day.

post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirljourney View Post


Look, I get what you're trying to say, but if you were there for warranty service on the computer for the 8600M failure, they're going to have said 'nVidia' at some point. It's in the name of program under which the service was done!

If you had "three fixes" for this purpose, you would have been informed at the first one (all of them) that this was the reason the service is being done.
Quote:
each time they did their diagnostics and some times they sent them away for work and sometimes they found nothing upon evaluating and sent me home.

Then how do you even know the GPU was the problem?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #77 of 80
I am in the same boat. I purchase my MacBook Pro into thousand seven. I have had no major issues until the video became distorted recently first I took it to the apple store then to one click. Both said the same thing they are no longer supported I feel the same way you do Apple should support the product I am still researching finding a replacement video card for the computer or some other fix upgrade or whatever if possible so far I've found nothing not even including a video card that would be a sufficient replacement I think I am done with Apple products in light of the fact that other products are much cheaper I am going to go back to PC however if I can find a reasonably priced video card replacement for my MacBook Pro 17 inch I would consider purchasing it and replacing it


Sent from my iPhone
post #78 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2925 View Post

Apple should support the product I am still researching finding a replacement video card for the computer or some other fix upgrade or whatever if possible so far I've found nothing not even including a video card that would be a sufficient replacement I think I am done with Apple products

The graphics chips are soldered to the motherboard. You have to get another motherboard but they don't manufacture them any more, which is why they have to stop supporting them. The machine you have is worth about $300-500 just now. If you really want to stick with the model you have, you can pick up an older model from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-Pro-17-Laptop-MA897LL-A-June-2007-/221348730956

They'd probably accept a lower offer than $450. It will fail eventually too though.

There are also repair services:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACBOOK-PRO-17-820-2262-A-LOGIC-BOARD-MOTHERBOARD-NO-VIDEO-REPAIR-WARRANTY-/170894626232

All that Apple could really do is offer a trade-in value for your machine towards the purchase of another one but there's no way they could go as high as $500, it would be more like $200 and they aren't obligated to do this just like every other other company.

As far as going the PC route, they were affected too and no PC manufacturer would support you after 6 years either:

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/dell-xps-m1530-8600m-gt-failure-t2713.html

While you might get 6 years use out of a much cheaper PC, you'd have 6 years of having to deal with Windows. It's not worth it.

The cheapest Apple replacement with a warranty would be one of these refurbs:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD103LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7

That one's not as high resolution as the 17" or Retina models but is a good computer for $1450.
post #79 of 80

Oh, this is terrible. After 6 solid years of service, my laptop starting wigging out and, sure enough, MacDoctor in my area says it's the graphics card and it would be about $550 to get it shipped out, rebuilt, and shipped back by a third party.

 

I am a neophyte to computer tech. I understand that Apple has finally stopped accepting these models, but is there anything I could feasibly do to salvage this? I hate the idea of all of my laptop being trashed or shipped and torn apart for a few metals when so much of it still works.

 

Links for how-tos and condolences are both legitimate responses.

post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClack View Post

Oh, this is terrible. After 6 solid years of service, my laptop starting wigging out and, sure enough, MacDoctor in my area says it's the graphics card and it would be about $550 to get it shipped out, rebuilt, and shipped back by a third party.

I am a neophyte to computer tech. I understand that Apple has finally stopped accepting these models, but is there anything I could feasibly do to salvage this? I hate the idea of all of my laptop being trashed or shipped and torn apart for a few metals when so much of it still works.

Links for how-tos and condolences are both legitimate responses.

There's no point in getting it repaired but you can sell it for parts on eBay. How much you get will depend on the model you have. You might get $200-300 for it as people can use the parts for repairs or they can repair it themselves and sell it on. Just take out your hard drive so you can get all your data back off it if you don't already have an external backup:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Core+2+Duo+Model+A1211+Hard+Drive+Replacement/459

As for options, you can get a 2013 13" Air for $979:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD761LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

or a 15" Retina MBP for $1659:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE664LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macBook-Pro-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display

The Air is faster than your MBP but if you had a 15" MBP, 13" might be too small. I don't know if you can hold off for 8 weeks as they'll probably update the laptop line later in the year and the refurb prices should drop further.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Problem with MacBook Pro Nvidia Graphics card