or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung looks to replicate Apple's advertising thunder [u]

Samsung looks to replicate Apple's advertising thunder [u]

post #1 of 95
A report published on Monday outlines a recent interview with Samsung's marketing chief who explains the impetus behind the South Korean electronic's maker's Apple-bashing commercials, and details the company's plan to win over the hearts and minds of consumers worldwide.

During the Consumer Electronics Show in January, All Things D sat down with Samsung's head of marketing Younghee Lee, and found that the company is looking to create a brand status similar to Apple's in order to boost sales.

Lee, a former employee of cosmetics brands L'Oreal and Lancome, said customers should be obsessed not only with Samsung's products, which include the Galaxy line of Android smartphones and tablets, but with the company itself. Much like Apple, the Korean company wants to build a base of repeat customers who make purchases based not only on features alone, but on brand loyalty as well.

Striving to gain Apple's level of success is not surprising given the Cupertino, Calif., company's record-setting performance last quarter.

"Especially in [the] U.S., people are obsessed with Apple," Lee said. "It's time to change people's attention."

The most recent Samsung TV ads are crafted to do just that, making overtly aggressive statements as to the lack of certain features from what is clearly an iPhone. The commercials also take tongue-in-cheek jabs at Apple customers themselves, who are usually depicted as "campers" waiting in line at a product launch.

Lee, however, made no mention of an outright attack against Apple, and instead focused on how she saw a huge potential to invoke emotion from her company's devices by interpreting "difficult technology" into "consumer languages," or non-technical terminology.

Apparently her way of thinking was accepted, and instead of running ads that rattle off tech specs and laundry lists of features, Samsung is now focusing on the relationship customers have with its mobile products.

An upcoming Super Bowl spot, which is a first for Samsung's cellphone division, will reportedly up the stakes with a new product unveiling, though Lee refused to comment on what exactly will be announced.

"Mobile can be a symbol of who you are," Lee said. "A lot of people believe 'what I have in my hands is me.'"

Apple users also identify strongly with their devices, and it is unclear as to why Samsung would belittle their loyalty if it aims to accomplish the same with the new ad campaign.

Update: Samsung in a press release on Tuesday has confirmed that the Galaxy Note will be the mystery product announced in its first-ever Super Bowl spot. The company notes that they "handpicked" Bobby Farrelly to direct the commercial. Farrelly is one half of the "Farrelly brothers" who, along with his brother Peter, have directed a number of winning box-office movies including "There's Something About Mary," "Dumb and Dumber" and "Kingpin." The Galaxy Note ad will air during the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLVI on February 5th.
post #2 of 95
Samsung is about to launch a series of commercials with multicolored people dancing on featureless white or black backgrounds.

Quote:
It's time to change people's attention.

No, you don't want us looking at you more closely. This is a "from 200 yards away, everyone's gorgeous" scenario.

And now someone will say, "It can be ten feet away if you're a Samsung lawyer! HI-YO!"

Quote:
An upcoming Super Bowl spot, which is a first for Samsung's cellphone division, will reportedly up the stakes with a new product unveiling, though Lee refused to comment on what exactly will be announced.

"On February 24, Samsung will release "Granny Smith", and you'll see why 2012 won't be… like… 2012?"

Quote:
"Mobile can be a symbol of who you are," Lee said. "A lot of people believe 'what I have in my hands is me.'"

"Hey, guys, I have a great idea for a marketing campaign!"

"What's that, Lee?"

"First, let's mock and demean a caricature of our competitor's customers to show how stupid they are for caring so much about a cell phone…"

"Okay, I like it, sounds good, can't possibly see where that could be misinterpreted, please go on…"

"…then we build advertisements of our own around how our phones should define who our customers are!"

"… um…"

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #3 of 95
So how does this in a way not seem like an attack on Apple? And it seems more than ever that their just copying Apple's tactics to begin with.
post #4 of 95
A copy is never as good as the original.
Samsung is through-and-through a case in point.
post #5 of 95
Good luck with that bitch!
post #6 of 95
You have been samsunged.... Pondering about that. What it really means is: you have been copied.
To samsung, that should be another phrase for "to rip off".
post #7 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"First, let's mock and demean a caricature of our competitor's customers to show how stupid they are for caring so much about a cell phone"

"then we build advertisements of our own around how our phones should define who our customers are!"

In a nutshell.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #8 of 95
Their intent of wanting to be like "Mike" and then their subsequent attacks on "Mike" confuses me as a consumer. Apple product owners are very product and brand loyal. The Samsung message of negativity should only be targeting Android OS or RIM users for conversion. The Apple message for people in line (or buying online) is not one of 4G speed. It's about the user experience.

In Samsung's eagerness to get under the skin of Apple, their ad agency has lost the way of the message. To me, it's a waste of ad money.
post #9 of 95
Samsung could actually start by building products with constant update (you can't find that in those android phones/tabs), better rebate process (very hard to get the rebate back from Samsung), and products that last (they look great the first year, but break down soon after).
post #10 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Samsung could actually start by building products with constant update

Wait, you want them to be MORE like Apple? I thought the fact that the software that comes with your Samsung phone is the software you'll have three years from now was one of their defining features.

post #11 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by IYFCalvin View Post

Their intent of wanting to be like "Mike" and then their subsequent attacks on "Mike" confuses me as a consumer. Apple product owners are very product and brand loyal. The Samsung message of negativity should only be targeting Android OS or RIM users for conversion. The Apple message for people in line (or buying online) is not one of 4G speed. It's about the user experience.

In Samsung's eagerness to get under the skin of Apple, their ad agency has lost the way of the message. To me, it's a waste of ad money.

That's the funniest thing about it. Samsung is obviously going out of their way to make the products look as much like Apple's products as possible. And now they're going to try to convince us that Apple's products are bad.

I don't think they've thought this one through....
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #12 of 95
This company is so low that they have to copy everything about Apple and Apple products that they need to be taught a lesson. Boycott Samsung consumer products.
post #13 of 95
Wow what a great way to get customers mock them for being stupid for buying the iPhone and then expect them to buy yours after just calling them stupid............... Hmmmmmm. Samsung will never get my business, even if they were the last cell phone vendor on the planet I would go without one. They can keep there oversized bricks.
post #14 of 95
Samsung's brand name is good. Quality products for a bit cheaper then the other high end brands.

For me Samsung is dead. I hate my Samsung stuff at home and tell my friends who have Samsung phones that Samsung is an unethical company.

2005: Apple give Samsung 1 billion to build NAND Flash factories. Apple is Samsung's largest customer. Apple orders SoC, touchscreen, memory, flash and other components from Samsung.

Samsung have Apples roadmaps for the coming years.

"why not make phones/tablets that look exactly like Apple?"
=
Samsung is awarded with billions on sales.

Wonder what Samsung's battle cry will be.

Apple:
Here's to the crazy ones...
Samsung:
Here's to the intelligent ones that don't buy Apple.
post #15 of 95
This ad campaign sounds like the one FORD came up with the seventies to sell their poorly built cluelessly designed cars to the "world market". They pointed out that the tail-lights on their piece of sh!t cars looked just like the tail-lights on Mercedes Benz! Samsung has overlooked the fact they have zero clue to excellent design. But they do seem to be very adept at coping Apple products and calling the design their own.
post #16 of 95
Samsung = Evil Copyist
Gnusmas = 악마 = Devil in Korea

Samsung is not a brand name. No image comes to mind when thinking about Samsung.
Samsung is not creative. They can only copy. Consumers have no loyalty to a copyist.

Even worse: why would any consumer align with the Devil?
post #17 of 95
Perhaps Sammy can get Eric Schmidt to star in one of their commercials and wiggle his ass for the camera.
post #18 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lee, a former employee of cosmetics brands L'Oreal and Lancome, said customers should be obsessed not only with Samsung's products, which include the Galaxy line of Android smartphones and tablets, but with the company itself. Much like Apple, the Korean company wants to build a base of repeat customers who make purchases based not only on features alone, but on brand loyalty as well.

Branding is very important, and it's never going to happen with a name and logo like "Samsung"...
post #19 of 95
Weak! Very weak!
post #20 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Hey, guys, I have a great idea for a marketing campaign!"

"What's that, Lee?"

"First, let's mock and demean a caricature of our competitor's customers to show how stupid they are for caring so much about a cell phone…"

"Okay, I like it, sounds good, can't possibly see where that could be misinterpreted, please go on…"

"…then we build advertisements of our own around how our phones should define who our customers are!"

"… um…"

Subtle... Kinda' like:

if you grab them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #21 of 95
So Samsung's thinking is: If you walk up to a line of people waiting to get into the hottest restaurant in town and hand them a McDonald's coupon, not only will they feel like idiots for waiting on line but people who see this will decide that restaurant wasn't all that great after all, and also head to McDonald's.

Yeah, good luck with that.
post #22 of 95
So if the USA is obsessed with Apple - the answer is to make fun of Apple? Not smart, Samsung!

Apple won by being they best they could be, not by trying to out do Microsoft. Samsung should be the best they can be. And the rubber has to meet the road. Who cares what ads they put out. They need a product you can actually purchase and use that is awesome. Samsung doesn't even have their own OS like Apple does. So what can Samsung really do besides promote someone ELSE's operating system? In a company's heart and soul, you just cannot promote someone else's stuff with the same spirit you can promote your own.
post #23 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Branding is very important, and it's never going to happen with a name and logo like "Samsung"...

Logo, I agree, name? Could work.

But the product names. SUCK!! And they need to strong arm the carriers for one (USA) it shouldn't be:

"Hey I got the new Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic Touch 4G what do you have?"

"Oh I have the AT&T 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket"

No one will care about that.

And the iPhone line waiter mocking commercials aren't trying to attract those who would be in line.
post #24 of 95
Wow. Many of you do not realize that these ads are working. Samsung nearly equaled Apple iOS in sales with 35million units. Clearly the ads are working. Ridiculing Apple iOS buyers waiting on line has touched a chord with the public. This will be fun to watch at Superbowl.
post #25 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Wow. Many of you do not realize that these ads are working. Samsung nearly equaled Apple iOS in sales with 35million units. Clearly the ads are working. Ridiculing Apple iOS buyers waiting on line has touched a chord with the public. This will be fun to watch at Superbowl.

I'm sorry, where did you get your figures from?? Samsung don't report sales figures. Yet again you fail.
post #26 of 95
Quote:

Let's see. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1235527.html

Yep. The ads are clearly working.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #27 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I'm sorry, where did you get your figures from?? Samsung don't report sales figures. Yet again you fail.

Since you won't bother to just Google it, here is one of the many hundreds of articles stating that figure.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/06/sam...rtphones-sold/
post #28 of 95
I was wondering where Samsung's copycat culture had its origin.

For this interview was Ms. Lee dressed in an outfit similar to one of Lady Gaga's?
post #29 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Logo, I agree, name? Could work.

But the product names. SUCK!! And they need to strong arm the carriers for one (USA) it shouldn't be:

"Hey I got the new Sprint Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic Touch 4G what do you have?"

"Oh I have the AT&T 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S 2 Skyrocket"

No one will care about that.

And the iPhone line waiter mocking commercials aren't trying to attract those who would be in line.

The Logo... no impression -- I'd have to look it up... not worth the effort

The brand name...maybe -- see below *

The product name... LOL what are they thinking -- It's an iPhone, Beemer, Corvette, T-Bird, Dusey... those are product names... (as opposed to spec sheets)

* as to the brand name -- every time I hear the name spoken, it reminds me of this -- which was quite popular in its day:

Sticks in your brain

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #30 of 95
Quote:

What? WHAT?

Is Sammy going to run an ad making fun of those waiting in line to get into the Superbowl?

Good idea, that!

Let's see... If I ridicule and embarrass you in public... will you be... won't you be my friend?

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #31 of 95
You love Apple, you love Samsung. No no no no no no no. You hate Apple, you love Samsung. No, that not good too. Let see:

Think Differently. Samsung.

Hears to the crazy ones. Samsung.

iMac. iPhone. iPad. Samsung.
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
post #32 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIVE View Post

You have been samsunged.... Pondering about that. What it really means is: you have been copied.
To samsung, that should be another phrase for "to rip off".

Excellent

If your iPhone happens to get samsunged, use "Where's My iPhone" and "Remote Wipe" before the samsung has a chance to samsung any of your personal data.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #33 of 95
Quote:

Since you won't bother to just Google it, here is one of the many hundreds of articles stating that figure.

Yep. According to your source, Samsung sold 35 M smartphones in the 4th quarter.

Apple sold 37 M smarthpones.

So tell me again how the ad is working?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #34 of 95
Samsung really has it's act together. Let's bash people for buying a quality product that's not ours (which makes us look like a bunch of miserable wannabe posers) and then *force* people to buy our product with ads because, you know, the public are just mindless sheep that will do what we tell them to do (especially if we give the crap away for free that we make except for the ones with the actual up-to-date OS on them). Let's not focus on making anything innovative, let alone anything that is user-focused because we are a profit driven and clueless corporation that thinks our poo poo don't phew phew.

Did I peg it?
post #35 of 95
Quote:

But I thought that Samesung sold more smartphones than Apple in the previous quarter. They're slipping! Samsung is doomed!

Oh, and iOS sales are much more than 35m - 35m is iPhones alone.
post #36 of 95
Unfortunately Apple's success is derived from being a market leader in terms of innovation, not advertising. Samsung can certainly replicate Apple's branding, advertising, product designs, and so on, but Samsung cannot overtake Apple because it cannot replicate Apple's history of market disruption, nor its rate of innovation.* Apple's success stems from its corporate culture; Samsung is cultivating a copyist culture, and that means that Samsung will always follow, and Apple will continue to lead.

*Note: don't confuse innovation (Apple) with invention(Samsung).
post #37 of 95
Quote:

hey slappy, these are estimates. Samsung stopped releasing actual numbers. Find an actual press release by Sammy.
post #38 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The Logo... no impression -- I'd have to look it up... not worth the effort

The brand name...maybe -- see below *

The product name... LOL what are they thinking -- It's an iPhone, Beemer, Corvette, T-Bird, Dusey... those are product names... (as opposed to spec sheets)

* as to the brand name -- every time I hear the name spoken, it reminds me of this -- which was quite popular in its day:

Sticks in your brain

exactly...I swear these telecoms and OEMs do not live in the modern world.

PS. Those were real product names. lol
post #39 of 95
I wonder if Samsung will give out stickers with its logo on it with every product it ships.
post #40 of 95
can we stop responding to Slapppy? He derails every conversation ALL THE TIME with his bullshit...true or not, partially true or not, lie or not, it's all pointless.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung looks to replicate Apple's advertising thunder [u]