or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Met Office responds: Daily Mail made numerous errors and was misleading

The Met Office responds: Daily Mail made numerous errors and was misleading

post #1 of 4
http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2...-january-2012/

Quote:
Today the Mail on Sunday published a story written by David Rose entitled Forget global warming its Cycle 25 we need to worry about.

This article includes numerous errors in the reporting of published peer reviewed science undertaken by the Met Office Hadley Centre and for Mr. Rose to suggest that the latest global temperatures available show no warming in the last 15 years is entirely misleading.

Despite the Met Office having spoken to David Rose ahead of the publication of the story, he has chosen to not fully include the answers we gave him to questions around decadal projections produced by the Met Office or his belief that we have seen no warming since 1997.

For clarity I have included our full response to David Rose below:A spokesman for the Met Office said: The ten year projection remains groundbreaking science. The complete period for the original projection is not over yet and these projections are regularly updated to take account of the most recent data.

The projections are probabilistic in nature, and no individual forecast should be taken in isolation. Instead, several decades of data will be needed to assess the robustness of the projections.

However, what is absolutely clear is that we have continued to see a trend of warming, with the decade of 2000-2009 being clearly the warmest in the instrumental record going back to 1850. Depending on which temperature records you use, 2010 was the warmest year on record for NOAA NCDC and NASA GISS, and the second warmest on record in HadCRUT3.

The author of the Daily Mail article, David Rose, has a history of being intentionally misleading with his "reporting" on global climate change. Here, he cherry picked a graph to hide the incline in temperatures.

If you happened to be one of those who bought into the Cycle 25 article, do the intellectually honest thing and admit David Rose misled the public. His arguments have been debunked--THOROUGHLY. You may not be convinced that global climate change is real, but you certainly cannot use David Rose's article to support your position.

We all know who you are. Post your retractions in this thread. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just a quick "I acknowledge that the Cycle 25 article was intentionally misleading" would be enough to demonstrate you actually have the slightest shred of integrity.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 4
Scale!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #3 of 4
That's one without integrity.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

That's one without integrity.

Love it. You pre-empt any disagreement with your conclusion by stating that the only people who have integrity are ones that acknowledge you are correct. You're one step away from robocalling people to tell them I want to force holocaust survivors to eat non-kosher.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Met Office responds: Daily Mail made numerous errors and was misleading