or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New photos hint Apple may still have plans for new iPod nano with camera

New photos hint Apple may still have plans for new iPod nano with camera

post #1 of 39
A new set of photos published this week may hint that Apple is still exploring the possibility of adding a digital camera to a new iPod nano that largely maintains its diminutive clip-on form factor.

The , which first appeared on the website apple.hs and were republished by Apple.pro when that site fell offline, show an iPod nano with a rear-mounted iPhone-style camera peering through a circular recess in its clip.

It appears from the photos as though a portion of the camera module sits outside the rear of the nano's casing, wedged between its backside and the clip, which would provide Apple with necessary real-estate to equip the player with a camera without compromising its tiny footprint.

Evidence that Apple has been exploring the possibility of returning camera functionality to iPod nano isn't new and dates back to last April when the same publication published photos of a prototype iPod nano casing with space reserved for rear-mounted camera but no clip.

A similar photo appeared a month later, appearing to show a completely assembled version of the nano with with what was claimed to be a 1.3-megapixel camera module, leading to speculation that Apple introduce such a model last fall at its annual music and media event.

Instead, Apple in October chose to introduce no changes to the existing iPod nano's hardware design, but equipped the players with new software and expanded fitness features while dropping the price of the 8GB model by $20 to $129 and the 16GB model by $30 to $149.

While its unclear if the latest photos are indicative of plans by Apple to bring such a device to market this year or simply represent the remains of an abandoned project, patent filings from the company published as recently as this past November on a new nano speaker design included diagrams showing the same circular recess in the nano's clip seen in this weeks photos.

A camera on the iPod nano wouldn't be a completely new concept. A couple of years ago, Apple introduced an elongated 5th-generation iPod nano with a low-resolution video camera but later removed the feature when it redesigned player with its current form.
post #2 of 39
I don't care about a camera on my Nano. I think I'd fall into the majority of people who use a Nano primarily for Some sort of exercising. How about Apple focusing on more Nike+ stuff instead of deciding what to do with their unused supply of iPhone 3G cameras (I know it's a 2MP but these are just rumors anyway)?
How about GPS? Or 3G OTA syncing for run tracking? Speaker could work but would never be loud enough. and Bluetooth could be cool to hook up for bike rides.
post #3 of 39
Craziness. What's the point? Everyone uses these as watches. Even Apple acknowledged that. You can't use a camcorder when you're using it like that, much less NORMALLY. How would you even hold it?

I just want Bluetooth 4.0 and the ability to act as a notification screen. Granted, I already have one of the current ones and won't be upgrading, but to see that be available to others would be neat.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

I don't care about a camera on my Nano. I think I'd fall into the majority of people who use a Nano primarily for Some sort of exercising. How about Apple focusing on more Nike+ stuff instead of deciding what to do with their unused supply of iPhone 3G cameras (I know it's a 2MP but these are just rumors anyway)?
How about GPS? Or 3G OTA syncing for run tracking? Speaker could work but would never be loud enough. and Bluetooth could be cool to hook up for bike rides.

Agreed GPS would be better then a camera, but battery concerns maybe the prevent that feature
post #5 of 39
My 5th gen nanos with video have been insanely useful. They've flown on kites at 100 ft., been mounted on bumpers, put on poles to look at bees' nests and high-up cactus flowers, and I have plans for more mounting schemes than I have time for. They still record for 1 1/2 hours after two years of more or less steady use, maybe a few times a week. Fantastic devices, with the proviso that the viewing screen be only so big. The iPhone and the touch are about right.

A wearable, square version would be far more useful. Easier to mount, so I hope this one is true. Been waitin' for it.

Apple knows we're headed toward wearable from portable.
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

My 5th gen nanos with video have been insanely useful. They've flown on kites at 100 ft...

So easy to strap two or three on the body of a rocket - light - and VERY durable
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Craziness. What's the point? Everyone uses these as watches. Even Apple acknowledged that. You can't use a camcorder when you're using it like that, much less NORMALLY. How would you even hold it?

Easy to visualize the right sort of wristband, probably already in the works if this is true. The wrist makes a good steady cam as well.

But more useful mounted elsewhere, you're right about that.
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

So easy to strap two or three on the body of a rocket - light - and VERY durable

Hadn't got that far, as I'm more of a blimp kind of guy. Durable for sure.
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Evidence that Apple has been exploring the possibility of returning camera functionality to iPod nano isn't new and dates back to last April when the same publication published photos of a prototype iPod nano casing with space reserved for rear-mounted camera but no clip.

So they were wrong last year- and now they're showing the same pictures this year? Ok....

I'm indifferent to a speaker or a camera (moreso the camera). If either are there- cool. But if not, thats fine too.

Just give me my nano I can use as a watch, and have it feed notifications via Bluetooth to it, access certain apps (pandora, tunein radio, etc.) via bluetooth and improve battery life, and I'll buy it day one. Until then, it just plays music. My phone does that (and running- a $10 arm band is better than a $129 nano).

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #10 of 39
I'd rather have the Nano turn into a SmartWatch with wireless headphones like this from Sony... http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...#view=overview
post #11 of 39
what's even more amazing is the diagram shows a speaker in the clip part. that's crazy. if apple can pull all these features off.....better than bread
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #12 of 39
I call BS on this. Many reasons - camera on clip would be useless, whether clipped to your pocket or used as a wristwatch. Also, is that an SD card slot? Definitely not an Apple product. I suspect this is a Chinese knock-off you'll get for $9 online.

My 2 cents.
Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

Also, is that an SD card slot? Definitely not an Apple product. I suspect this is a Chinese knock-off you'll get for $9 online.

Have you ever seen an iPod nano? That's a Dock Connector. We've seen old prototype parts with camcorder holes in them. It's not a knockoff.

post #14 of 39
I'd like to see a camera on my earphones, magsafe charger, mouse, keyboard and of course my apple remote.
post #15 of 39
Hmmm...

Replace kite with remote toy helicopter and you have a poor man's
surveillance camera.

Man, I think it's time for McGyver revival.

Quote:

My 5th gen nanos with video have been insanely useful. They've flown on kites at 100 ft., been mounted on bumpers, put on poles to look at bees' nests and high-up cactus flowers, and I have plans for more mounting schemes than I have time for. They still record for 1 1/2 hours after two years of more or less steady use, maybe a few times a week. Fantastic devices, with the proviso that the viewing screen be only so big. The iPhone and the touch are about right.

A wearable, square version would be far more useful. Easier to mount, so I hope this one is true. Been waitin' for it.

Apple knows we're headed toward wearable from portable.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #16 of 39
Quote:

I call BS on this. ... Also, is that an SD card slot? Definitely not an Apple product. I suspect this is a Chinese knock-off you'll get for $9 online. My 2 cents.

Ah... been around Apple products much? That's the slot for the standard 30-pin dock connector.

Way to waste 2 cents...
post #17 of 39
Quote:

Have you ever seen an iPod nano? That's a Dock Connector. We've seen old prototype parts with camcorder holes in them. It's not a knockoff.

Ooops. You are correct. Still, I doubt the veracity of this.
Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster
post #18 of 39
Quote:

Ooops. You are correct. Still, I doubt the veracity of this.

Yep, still could be a knock-off, or -up, way too soon to get excited. I've been burned before on this one.
post #19 of 39
I know this only matters to very few, but after a couple of instances locally where joggers were killed by hit and run drivers, it would be nice to have some technology in the Nano that might capture a sudden jarring movement and transmit geo info and a picture to a preset address.
post #20 of 39
Quote:

I just want Bluetooth 4.0 and the ability to act as a notification screen. Granted, I already have one of the current ones and won't be upgrading, but to see that be available to others would be neat.

Um ... James Bond wristwatch facetime?!?!

post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Hmmm...

Replace kite with remote toy helicopter and you have a poor man's
surveillance camera.

Man, I think it's time for McGyver revival.

Been thinking about it. It weighs 35.7 grams or 1.26 oz.. A mount might weigh an ounce, or 28 grams. Nobody ever talks about total payload on those helis, yet. I'd rather not mess with a single camera, though, and set up a left and right for 3D. Might as well go for up to date, or the future. Total weight would be under four ounces.

Lemme know if you find a good one, would you?
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Um ... James Bond wristwatch facetime?!?!

As there's no front camera, that's pretty pointless. And since they couldn't possibly put a Wi-Fi or 3G chip in there…

And what's with the "James Bond" references here? I could have sworn Dick Tracy did it first.

Actually, I've never seen Bond with such a device at all…

post #23 of 39
Quote:

As there's no front camera, that's pretty pointless. And since they couldn't possibly put a Wi-Fi or 3G chip in there

And what's with the "James Bond" references here? I could have sworn Dick Tracy did it first.

Well, it *could* have the front camera as part of the screen. There was an apple patent along those lines years ago.

But yeah, Bluetooth 4.0 would be the best new feature to have.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #24 of 39
Apple is gonna make a Dick Tracy video wristwatch! Wasn't that once some kind of tech holy grail?

I'm with Flaneur. Lots of interesting things up high that I'd like to investigate. Who makes a good tough balloon that won't pop going through tree branches? There are radio controlled toy helicopters...

I've been wanting the square Nano just as a wristwatch but we have so many Apple devices...thanks Flaneur, now I am obsessed with getting this if it comes out!!
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

I know this only matters to very few, but after a couple of instances locally where joggers were killed by hit and run drivers, it would be nice to have some technology in the Nano that might capture a sudden jarring movement and transmit geo info and a picture to a preset address.

Wow, now there's some urban thinking. But it would be useful for wildlife and such, maybe.
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Apple is gonna make a Dick Tracy video wristwatch! Wasn't that once some kind of tech holy grail? [ . . . ] now I am obsessed with getting this if it comes out!!

I second your obsession. Wearable/flyable cameras first, then wearable screens, and then . . . who knows? This is the kind of R&D that $100 billion and a spaceship headquarters will provoke. Blessings to Steve Jobs for having flown that high himself.
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Well, it *could* have the front camera as part of the screen. There was an apple patent along those lines years ago.

But yeah, Bluetooth 4.0 would be the best new feature to have.

Still eagerly waiting for that camera-screen myself. As a matrix embedded across the screen, I wonder if it could do light-field tricks, or 3D, or what.

So how do you envision the Bluetooth working? If it could output the video that the camera is seeing, that would be a great boon. The trouble with the 5th gen nano is that you can't monitor when you're using it remotely.

See you guys later, I'm starting to look like Ireland here, with all the what-if posts.
post #28 of 39
This is a privacy nightmare. Small and concealable for taking videos in the girls locker room without getting spotted. At last the 5th gen Nano was larger and easier to spot.
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

This is a privacy nightmare. Small and concealable for taking videos in the girls locker room without getting spotted. At last the 5th gen Nano was larger and easier to spot.

Hah... They make cameras smaller. Trust me- this isn't the go-to camera for peeping toms

post #30 of 39
A good feature or not this looks authentic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Agreed GPS would be better then a camera, but battery concerns maybe the prevent that feature

I'd rather have BT that was good enough to allow for wireless headphones. Of course, I'm also hoping for power efficiency so they won't die after an hour of use but I'm wishing here.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd rather have BT that was good enough to allow for wireless headphones. Of course, I'm also hoping for power efficiency so they won't die after an hour of use but I'm wishing here.

Hey, Bluetooth 4.0 probably allows at least a few hours of listening.

post #32 of 39
Quote:

Hey, Bluetooth 4.0 probably allows at least a few hours of listening.

The Low Energy feature of Bluetooth 4.0 doesn't have near enough bandwidth for streaming music as far as I understand it. And I don't think the standard form of Bluetooth 4.0 has significantly improved on power usage. I'd think that would likely come from better HW tech.

post #33 of 39
I want the click wheel back or I'll hold on to my 5th gen nano forever.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I want the click wheel back or I'll hold on to my 5th gen nano forever.

Enjoy forever, then.

*looks at cursor as it hovers over the Reply button*

OH MY GOSH, WORTHLESS SAFARI 5.1.3 GIVE ME BACK MY REAL POINTER FINGER. WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS, KIDDIELAND?!

What was Apple THINKING changing the cursor?!

It was clean, it was elegant, it had a SINGLE PIXEL removed for the beautiful arc thingy on the top of the glove and now it looks like an amateur hour map on the Alternate History forum.

post #35 of 39
Quote:

Enjoy forever, then.

*looks at cursor as it hovers over the Reply button*

OH MY GOSH, WORTHLESS SAFARI 5.1.3 GIVE ME BACK MY REAL POINTER FINGER. WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS, KIDDIELAND?!

What was Apple THINKING changing the cursor?!

It was clean, it was elegant, it had a SINGLE PIXEL removed for the beautiful arc thingy on the top of the glove and now it looks like an amateur hour map on the Alternate History forum.

This kind of change in a tertiary update makes me wonder if it will look great with HiDPI displays which makes me wonder if we'll get them on Macs before 10..7.4 is out.

post #36 of 39
Will do.

Quote:

Been thinking about it. It weighs 35.7 grams or 1.26 oz.. A mount might weigh an ounce, or 28 grams. Nobody ever talks about total payload on those helis, yet. I'd rather not mess with a single camera, though, and set up a left and right for 3D. Might as well go for up to date, or the future. Total weight would be under four ounces.

Lemme know if you find a good one, would you?
post #37 of 39
Quote:

With a clip, you can maybe plug it as a spycam?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #38 of 39
i am going to get one cuz i dont have a mp3 player yet so it will work for as for a bigger capactiy its gonna be hard use flash memeory like that as far as i know flash ememory limists right for a resonable prie is set at 4 gb
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RereTrosseJax View Post

i am going to get one cuz i dont have a mp3 player yet so it will work for as for a bigger capactiy its gonna be hard use flash memeory like that as far as i know flash ememory limists right for a resonable prie is set at 4 gb

Only if you have the world's tightest definition of 'reasonable'.

You can get 16GB of NAND flash memory that fits into a MICROSD CARD of all things for $12. That's WAY smaller physically than the chip in the iPod nano.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › New photos hint Apple may still have plans for new iPod nano with camera