or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google reportedly hired away Apple senior director for 'secret project'

Google reportedly hired away Apple senior director for 'secret project'

post #1 of 58
A new report claims Google has managed to hire away Apple's senior director of product integrity to work on a "secret project" in its highest-level recruitment pull from its rival.

VentureBeat claims to have learned that Simon Prakash, an eight-year Apple veteran whose currently lists him as Senior Director of Product Integrity, is leaving the company for Google. Report author Dean Takahashi called the new hire "historic" for Google, as Prakash is reportedly the most senior person that the Mountain View, Calif., company has recruited away from Apple.

In his new role at Google, Prakash will allegedly work on a "secret project" that may be led by co-founder Sergei Brin. Brin is believed to be in charge of a number of clandestine research and development projects at the company, including an "X" lab that works on speculative technology.

Apple has viewed losing its workers to Google as a problem in the past. In 2007, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs sent an email to then Google CEO Eric Schmidt asking that the company not actively pursue Apple's employees.

"I would be very pleased if your recruiting department would stop doing this," Jobs wrote. Schmidt took immediate action and one of the offending employees was promptly dismissed.

In 2009, reports claimed that the two companies had unwritten agreements not to go after each other's employees. The U.S. Department of Justice also opened an investigation into whether several major technology companies, including Apple and Google, had entered into such agreements illegally. The companies eventually settled with the DoJ and were ordered not to make "no solicitation agreements" for five years.

The Justice Department investigation sparked a class-action lawsuit from former employees that alleged the companies had conspired to "suppress compensation" of their workers.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims Google has managed to hire away Apple's senior director of product integrity to work on a "secret project"...

He's a double agent.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #3 of 58
Quote:

...Google... ..."secret project"... ...Senior Director of Product Integrity...

"We need you to take this..."

*shows him Android*

"...and make it not suck."

O~R...

"We need you to oversee these guys to make sure they don't put tracking, pharming, or otherwise evil crap in our products."

"... You know, my old job description meant the OTHER kind of integrity..."
post #4 of 58
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #5 of 58
It's a shame Apple can't cut former employees tongues out.

(though Steve probably wouldn't have made quite as great a comeback had he been rendered tongueless ).
post #6 of 58
The guy was actually the Director of Silly Projects but the sign on his door was faded.

Seriously though, what does this say about Google's confidence that they can innovate? They got a leg up on ripping off iOS from inside information now they need some ideas about what on earth the next big things will be. Surely this hire won't be good for them in future law suits.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #7 of 58
Quote:

A new report claims Google has managed to hire away Apple's senior director of product integrity to work on a "secret project" in its highest-level recruitment pull from its rival.

VentureBeat claims to have learned that Simon Prakash, an eight-year Apple veteran whose currently lists him as Senior Director of Product Integrity, is leaving the company for Google. Report author Dean Takahashi called the new hire "historic" for Google, as Prakash is reportedly the most senior person that the Mountain View, Calif., company has recruited away from Apple.

In his new role at Google, Prakash will allegedly work on a "secret project" that may be led by co-founder Sergei Brin. Brin is believed to be in charge of a number of clandestine research and development projects at the company, including an "X" lab that works on speculative technology.

Apple has viewed losing its workers to Google as a problem in the past. In 2007, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs sent an email to then Google CEO Eric Schmidt asking that the company not actively pursue Apple's employees.

"I would be very pleased if your recruiting department would stop doing this," Jobs wrote. Schmidt took immediate action and one of the offending employees was promptly dismissed.

In 2009, reports claimed that the two companies had unwritten agreements not to go after each other's employees. The U.S. Department of Justice also opened an investigation into whether several major technology companies, including Apple and Google, had entered into such agreements illegally. The companies eventually settled with the DoJ and were ordered not to make "no solicitation agreements" for five years.

The Justice Department investigation sparked a class-action lawsuit from former employees that alleged the companies had conspired to "suppress compensation" of their workers.

There are actions Apple can take.

Right off the bat, they will probably send a reminder to the employee (possibly copying Google) reminding him that he signed a nondisclosure agreement and can not use any confidential information he obtained at Apple. That puts everyone on notice.

If the guy uses Apple's confidential information, they can sue both the employee and Google.

And, in extreme cases, they can file to have the employees employment terminated. If they can show that it's impossible for him to work for Google without violating his NDA, it is possible (although very rare) to block his employment.

That said, it's simply a tempest in a teapot. The guy is a "Senior Director of Product Integrity", which is, essentially, a quality control type job. It is unlikely that he has advance knowledge of future Apple plans, other than perhaps having some working knowledge of anything that is very close to release.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #8 of 58
If this super secret thingy is a competitive product with Apple, e.g., iTV or iTunes or Siri, then this could be really interesting in a few years. It will be interesting to know if there is a non-compete clause in the contract and if it will be invoked.

Regarding good people leaving Apple for other jobs, in a deep sense this is good. Apple has developed a remarkable set of business practices and values that are 180 degrees out of synch with standard MBA-babble [look at the CALPERS wanting the change Apple Governance to align with mediocre industry performance best practices].

Getting truly novel and innovative practices out there [back to the future] on user experience, value, and quality cannot be all bad. Driving real innovation vs me-too-ism or copying [SAMSUNG and Google anyone?] will also be great for industry, practice, economy, and customers.
post #9 of 58
Lol. He didn't take a blood oath for Apple. As long as what he does doesn't violate anything he signed all is well.

You lot are acting pathetic as if no one is allowed to go anywhere once they get to Apple. If he felt this was the right move and he has been part of Apple's rise to dominance then obviously Apple felt he was a worthy man and it goes without saying that others see it too.
post #10 of 58
The description about hiring each others employees is somewhat inaccurate. The 2007 & 9 discussion and agreement was about one firm cold calling employees at the other firm and pitching them about job offers, not about simply taking the employees from the other firm. So if someone at Apple applied for a position at Google that was ok, it was the cold calling that the 2007 & 9 agreements centred on.

It's very likely that this chap has a non-dislosure/non-competition clause in his contract. Since Apple hasn't put up a fuss its probable that the job at Google is unrelated to his work at Apple and all this has been talked through at both firms. Otherwise there's be a Papermaster like scene over the hire.
post #11 of 58
"'...Regarding good people leaving Apple for other jobs, in a deep sense this is good. Apple has developed a remarkable set of business practices and values ...

So Apple works for years to develop a unique business paradigm, risks the farm more than once, becomes the world leader in its' field...therefore...in your opinion.......they should share their experience with competitors who aren't able to achieve it on their own.

"...Getting truly novel and innovative practices out there [back to the future] on user experience, value, and quality cannot be all bad. Driving real innovation vs me-too-ism or copying..."

And, in your opinion, hiring someone who brings Apple's mindset, techniques, experience ISN'T "me-too-ism"?

As liberal as I am in most thinking, this approach is the basis for "spreading the wealth" in a way that says everybody will benefit, we must share among ourselves, even if we cannot innovate, we are entitled to being successful too.

Those are NOT words from the mind and soul of an entrepreneur. Perhaps from the mind and needs to other categories of thinkers.
post #12 of 58
Hmmmm... this secret project sounds more like one of Apple's fake projects to test the new hire's loyalty.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Hmmmm... this secret project sounds more like one of Apple's fake projects to test the new hire's loyalty.

I buy that. Apple's fake projects are SO fake, they masquerade as Google projects.
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificfilm View Post

"'...Regarding good people leaving Apple for other jobs, in a deep sense this is good. Apple has developed a remarkable set of business practices and values ...

So Apple works for years to develop a unique business paradigm, risks the farm more than once, becomes the world leader in its' field...therefore...in your opinion.......they should share their experience with competitors who aren't able to achieve it on their own.

"...Getting truly novel and innovative practices out there [back to the future] on user experience, value, and quality cannot be all bad. Driving real innovation vs me-too-ism or copying..."

And, in your opinion, hiring someone who brings Apple's mindset, techniques, experience ISN'T "me-too-ism"?

As liberal as I am in most thinking, this approach is the basis for "spreading the wealth" in a way that says everybody will benefit, we must share among ourselves, even if we cannot innovate, we are entitled to being successful too.

Those are NOT words from the mind and soul of an entrepreneur. Perhaps from the mind and needs to other categories of thinkers.

You seem to be mistaking "monopolist" and "entrepreneur". If only one company is allowed to have the best brains, it turns into a monopoly. It then stops innovating. That's not entrepreneur's mindset, unless you consider late-era Rockefellers "entrepreneurs". I believe Steve Jobs/ Larry Page are entrepreneurs. Steve Ballmer, not so much. He'd love your way of thinking though.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #15 of 58
So can the loose Apple employee be remote wiped?
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
Hey, this Kool-Aid is delicious, what do you put in it?!
post #16 of 58
I wonder how long it will take before Apple begins to hire Google employees?? Tim is not Steve, and working conditions at Apple may improve dramatically in the coming years. Steve did not head up Apple Skunk-Works, he took the projects that everyone said had a future, he brought them forward. So it is only a matter of time, this goes back and forth all the time.
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

So can the loose Apple employee be remote wiped?

Quick! Find My Employee in iOS 6.
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon View Post

I wonder how long it will take before Apple begins to hire Google employees?? Tim is not Steve, and working conditions at Apple may improve dramatically in the coming years. Steve did not head up Apple Skunk-Works, he took the projects that everyone said had a future, he brought them forward. So it is only a matter of time, this goes back and forth all the time.

Google need ideas. Apple doesn't exactly need engineer.
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

You seem to be mistaking "monopolist" and "entrepreneur". If only one company is allowed to have the best brains, it turns into a monopoly. It then stops innovating. That's not entrepreneur's mindset, unless you consider late-era Rockefellers "entrepreneurs". I believe Steve Jobs/ Larry Page are entrepreneurs. Steve Ballmer, not so much. He'd love your way of thinking though.

I'm not sure if you read his post closely, or if you interpreted it to fit your viewpoint. He advocates "driving real innovation vs me-too-ism or copying" by attempting to use Apple's "remarkable set of business practices and values tat are 180 degrees out of synch with standard MBA-babble" which is hardly entrepreneurial. "Hey, Apple seems to go against traditional thinking and copying. Let's do what they're doing, so we can be non-traditional too."

I've had many many entrepreneurial ventures, some successful, some not so successful. All I can say is, the argument he presents and you seem to support, isn't innovation or entrepreneurial in the slightest degree. I don't think this is a huge loss for Apple, just a sign of wanting what Apple has in its' DNA. I don't think most people working aren't, at heart, entrepreneurial, which is as it should be, and keeps the wheels of the machine turning, having a spectrum of mind sets.

Steve Ballmer runs from true entrepreneurial spirit in every major thrust MS has taken. I'm not clear at all why you think he would endorse a true innovative spirit. He is a sales guy.
post #20 of 58
Quote:

I wonder how long it will take before Apple begins to hire Google employees??

Is it Apple's goal to do that?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 58
Quote:

I wonder how long it will take before Apple begins to hire Google employees??

I'm guessing 50 years. That's how long it will take before Google has anyone that Apple wants to hire.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is it Apple's goal to do that?

I would be absolutely delighted by such an official hiring confirmation. That would be confirmation that Google is indeed hiring sorely lacking 'product integrity'. That special project wouldn't come a moment too soon, and kudos to Apple for possibly welcoming Google to liberally tap its most valuable, albeit less encroach-able, trademarked commodity.

I would certainly wish all the luck in the world to Simon Prakash. The world would be pulling for you Simon ...for it deserves to have, for once, Google's name permeated in some ways with the all too rapidly vanishing ideal of integrity. But somehow, secrecy and integrity make for very strange conceptual bedfellows ...but then who's watching ...right?
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

I would be absolutely delighted by such an official hiring confirmation. That would be confirmation that Google is indeed hiring sorely lacking 'product integrity'. That special project wouldn't come a moment too soon, and kudos to Apple for possibly welcoming Google to liberally tap its most valuable, albeit less encroach-able, trademarked commodity.

I would certainly wish all the luck in the world to Simon Prakash. The world would be pulling for you Simon ...for it deserves to have, for once, Google's name permeated in some ways with the all too rapidly vanishing ideal of integrity. But somehow, secrecy and integrity make for very strange conceptual bedfellows ...but then who's watching ...right?

It's not that kind of integrity, as my joke earlier indicated.
post #24 of 58
This is just great. What are they going to introduce now that's been stolen from Apple. Stay classy Google.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
After 3 netbooks from acer, toshiba, hp, I find contentment in my 11.6 MB Air. Hoping the 8-hr battery version shows up soon.
post #25 of 58
"The rats are leaving the Titanic." --slappy
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm guessing 50 years. That's how long it will take before Google has anyone that Apple wants to hire.

Is that how long we have to wait to get an Apple mapping application? Seriously it shouldn't be that hard. People sometimes say that Google has several years head start with all their street view assets but actually they are on their third time through my neighborhood as they just updated the photo of my house for the second time in four years and Microsoft was able to gather their own street data in about a year. Maybe Google is paying Apple so much money to keep Google Maps on iOS that they can't justify replacing it.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"The rats are leaving the Titanic." --slappy

We need a slapppy disention generator that will take positive terms from every AI article and twist it into a lame negative slant on Apple's impending demise.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #28 of 58
Obviously false...

No way Google understands the meaning of "secret"...

Maybe they're confusing it with "secrete"...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We need a slapppy disention generator that will take positive terms from every AI article and twist it into a lame negative slant on Apple's impending demise.

Oh, it's quite simple to parse on your own. Just ignore the appropriate words while retaining word order and this article becomes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappified article

...Google has... ...a "secret project"... that... ...is... ..."historic"...

...Google... ...is... ...the most...

...a "secret project"... ...led by co-founder Sergei Brin... ...is believed to be... ...technology...

..."I would be very pleased if your... ...would stop doing this," Jobs wrote. Schmidt... ...dismissed... ...the... ...agreements...

...The U.S. Department of Justice also opened an investigation into whether... ...Apple... ...entered into... ...agreements illegally.
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's not that kind of integrity, as my joke earlier indicated.

Thank's, I should have known your sarcasm preempted irony...
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is that how long we have to wait to get an Apple mapping application? Seriously it shouldn't be that hard. People sometimes say that Google has several years head start with all their street view assets but actually they are on their third time through my neighborhood as they just updated the photo of my house for the second time in four years and Microsoft was able to gather their own street data in about a year. Maybe Google is paying Apple so much money to keep Google Maps on iOS that they can't justify replacing it.

Ha!

Your comment about Street View conjures an image of large camera-equipped trucks driving erratically through the neighborhoods...

That, in turn, reminded me of this:

Quote:
For the second time in recorded history, a motorist has been arrested for driving a Zamboni under the influence.

the police may arrest you for DWI even if you are driving a Zamboni ice machine at the time

and

Quote:
Two employees of Idaho Ice World, a skating rink in Boise, were fired this week after they made a midnight fast-food run. That might not ordinarily have been a problem except that they were driving their Zambonis.

This kind of Zamboni is not designed for street use, let alone to use the drive-through lane at Burger King. But it does fit, evidently, because the two employees each drove one to Burger King, through the drive-through lane and back to Ice World at about 12:30 a.m. on November 10. The round trip totaled about 1.5 miles, which would take almost 20 minutes at top Zamboni speed. I was sorry to find out that Boise does not seem to have had enough snow and ice recently that the Zambonis actually could have been used to smooth a path to Burger King and back, although I guess that would have given them away for sure.

Rink Employees Fired For Late-Night Zamboni Run

post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ha!

Your comment about Street View conjures an image of large camera-equipped trucks driving erratically through the neighborhoods...

One of my favorite street view stories involves their face blur technology where it actually blurred the face of a perfectly anonymous horse in New York's Central Park.

http://failblog.org/2008/08/12/faceblur-fail/

post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Lol. He didn't take a blood oath for Apple. As long as what he does doesn't violate anything he signed all is well.

You lot are acting pathetic as if no one is allowed to go anywhere once they get to Apple. If he felt this was the right move and he has been part of Apple's rise to dominance then obviously Apple felt he was a worthy man and it goes without saying that others see it too.

Its like a cult. Once you join one, you are not supposed to leave.

That would be a baaaad move.
post #34 of 58
Not surprising, after all Google is one of the best companies to work for.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...apshots/4.html
post #35 of 58
Quote:

One of my favorite street view stories involves their face blur technology where it actually blurred the face of a perfectly anonymous horse in New York's Central Park.

http://failblog.org/2008/08/12/faceblur-fail/

Why shouldn't Sarah Jessica Parker have her face blurred?

edit: Dammit! Commenters on the site beat me to it.

post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Not surprising, after all Google is one of the best companies to work for.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...apshots/4.html

Of course! Work is less stressful when you don't have to think, you can just copy from others.

post #37 of 58
Quote:

Of course! Work is less stressful when you don't have to think, you can just copy from others.

Whatever...
post #38 of 58
Quote:

Why shouldn't Sarah Jessica Parker have her face blurred?

edit: Dammit! Commenters on the site beat me to it.

If you read that far down the page you probably got a chuckle or two. FAIL they beat you to it 4 years ago

post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Whatever...

You should learn what emoticons mean.

Quote:

If you read that far down the page you probably got a chuckle or two. FAIL they beat you to it 4 years ago

Nah, i just thought about it after I posted, then did a page search for her name.

Regarding your earlier post about Google Maps, I wonder if Apple can incorporate their own mapping software which I wouldn't be surprised if it gets demoed with the iPad over the iPhone due to the large display into Maps but still license Street View from Google since that is one aspect they will likely not ever invest in.

I'd also like Street View to note the permanent fixtures and remove people, cars, etc. from the image prior to uploading.

post #40 of 58
Quote:

That's because the horse was a copyrighted horse ... of course!

http://bussongs.com/assets/midi/A_Ho...Is_A_Horse.mp3

It's worth repeating: Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google reportedly hired away Apple senior director for 'secret project'