or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung Galaxy Note Super Bowl ad takes more jabs at Apple users

Samsung Galaxy Note Super Bowl ad takes more jabs at Apple users - Page 3

post #81 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't think Stylus is needed for a phone but it will be great to have on a tablet.

And by all accounts the stylus on the Note is awesome.

I wonder if they'll have software that integrates it with the CS apps.

That'd be beyond awesome.

I do feel it's too large though to be a phone. I hope they release a tablet that utilizes the s-pen
post #82 of 336
Quote:

Well, at least there's a C word in there.

And I didn't said it's right or wrong. Calm down. I only said they're not innovative (for making devices at least).

Google doesn't make devices.
post #83 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Google doesn't make devices.

Rather they make the code for the devices, which in turn can be used pretty much by everyone else.
post #84 of 336
Too big to be used as a phone, too small to be any good for note taking, even using a stylus.

I use a stylus on an iPad for taking notes all the time(notes plus, a great app), but it needs all of the iPad screen. Any smaller and it would be annoyingly cramped.

I think Samsung is casting for ways to differentiate from the iPad, so note taking probably isn't a bad approach, it is just the execution is a fail as the galaxy note is too small. If it was a twelve inch screen it would be more effective for that specialized purpose. Next Tab perhaps?
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
post #85 of 336
Quote:

And by all accounts the stylus on the Note is awesome.

I would be excited though if it'll work on a Tab.
post #86 of 336
Samsung spent $10,000,000 on this Super Bowl commercial for the Galaxy Note... and the iPhone 3GS will outsell it.

post #87 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daramouthe View Post

Rather they make the code for the devices, which in turn can be used pretty much by everyone else.

The horror
post #88 of 336
Quote:

I would be excited though if it'll work on a Tab.

That'd be nice. Not really interested in the current generation of Android tablets though.
post #89 of 336
Quote:
Also making an appearance is the "barista" character from previous ads in the campaign, who makes the rather droll remark, "well that was over the top," at the commercial's close.

Also making an appearance is Miranda Kerr at 1:08.
Probably the best thing in this ad...
post #90 of 336
What a crappy ad. If they're going to make a stupid ad with singing and dancing and zero plot, they should at LEAST budget for a few of the minor "Glee" stars ...
post #91 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Samsung spent $10,000,000 on this Super Bowl commercial for the Galaxy Note... and the iPhone 3GS will outsell it.

How short sighted. They are trying to build a brand, like Apple did a while back.

And to all the folks who have nothing but bad things to say about it, I have the Note. Its an awesome phone, all my iphone buddies want it, love it, always ask for it and want to use my phone now that they are tired of Siri. And yes, before the obvious jokes start, it fits in my jeans. I dont wear skinny jeans:-s

And just use what you like. Without actually even having seen it, let alone used it, lots of flamers up here. I love my phone, you love yours. Both iphones and Sammy's are excellent pieces of tech. All android and Apple fanboys, its getting pretty annoying now. Dont want to use it, keep your big sized fonts at home. Scream at yourself in the mirror.
post #92 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

racist comment removed

Neither will anyone else. Trust me. Pen computing was tried for two decades and hasn't gained any traction. Apple perfects the touch screen and suddenly touch interfaces are the new gold rush. Pen computing ain't coming back. A year from now, this Superbowl ad will be as quaint and as big a waste of money as the "1984" Xoom ad was last Superbowl.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #93 of 336
Where's the thread about Apple's Super Bowl ad?
post #94 of 336
I own an SGS2 and would really like to try out a Note. Everything about my device is badass, and I have big hands so a larger device would be no problem. Apple gets the nod for creativity. Without Apple our devices would all be shitty Windows Mobile 6.x clones.

edit: to keep it on topic, the the Samsung ad still falls short. C'mon guys. give the SG Note the justice it deserves. Save the stupid dirtbike stunts for someone else
post #95 of 336
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avTwunfm698

If you ask me I would want it now after seeing the stylus in action that is pretty ligit for a phone. I hope to see this on tablets soon. Then I would plunge and buy one.
post #96 of 336
It has a stylus? Like my PalmPilot? How nostalgic!
post #97 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Too big to be used as a phone, too small to be any good for note taking, even using a stylus.

I use a stylus on an iPad for taking notes all the time(notes plus, a great app), but it needs all of the iPad screen. Any smaller and it would be annoyingly cramped.

I think Samsung is casting for ways to differentiate from the iPad, so note taking probably isn't a bad approach, it is just the execution is a fail as the galaxy note is too small. If it was a twelve inch screen it would be more effective for that specialized purpose. Next Tab perhaps?

GN Spen is not perfect, but it is a really great tool. Only issue with GN Spen from us is that it is a bit slippery to write on the glass. There are some digitized pens compatible to Galaxy Note. I am looking at one particular pen that comes with several different tips. I am sure that some screen protectors will be available especially for stylus devices.

I bought Galaxy Note for my wife about 3month ago. I can tell you that this is best smartphone available.
post #98 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post

How short sighted. They are trying to build a brand, like Apple did a while back.

And to all the folks who have nothing but bad things to say about it, I have the Note. Its an awesome phone, all my iphone buddies want it, love it, always ask for it and want to use my phone now that they are tired of Siri. And yes, before the obvious jokes start, it fits in my jeans. I dont wear skinny jeans:-s

And just use what you like. Without actually even having seen it, let alone used it, lots of flamers up here. I love my phone, you love yours. Both iphones and Sammy's are excellent pieces of tech. All android and Apple fanboys, its getting pretty annoying now. Dont want to use it, keep your big sized fonts at home. Scream at yourself in the mirror.

Oh I wanna get my hands on it for sure. I can't comprehend a phone that big!

I could have gone Android after my last Blackberry... but I went iPhone 4S instead. My first iPhone. I like it.

Yes... Samsung is trying to build a brand... but they can't force it.

Apple began its journey to become one of the biggest consumer electronics brands over 10 years ago with the iPod... and again 5 year ago with the iPhone.

Samsung seems impatient. Instead of earning it... they just attack Apple and its users.

And another thing... the whole "Samsung brand" is a mystery to me.

Samsung makes Android phones. Guess what? Motorola makes Android phones. HTC makes Android phones. LG makes Android phones. A dozen companies make Android phones.

What does "it's a Samsung" mean anyway?
post #99 of 336
Of the 99 posts in this thread alone, 15 are from AbsoluteDesignz.
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #100 of 336
Agreed! Who does use a stylus anymore? Wern't those on early palm pilots in the late 1990's? I honestly think android has the ugliest GUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoops. Something strange happened here. It overwrote my original comment...

Anyway, the best line in the thing was, "Whoa, it has a pen?"

Steve Jobs was right. "Who wants a stylus?" No one. People want pens.
post #101 of 336
inappropriate post removed
post #102 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

As someone who owns an iPhone 4S but doesn't harbor the late Steve Jobs' ill will toward Android (I bought a Nexus One in January 2010 and still have it), the Samsung ad fell flat to me. A stylus isn't that attractive. Plus, you don't tend to get new customers by insulting the very people you seek to attract.

I've heard comparisons to the Mac vs. PC commercials, but I disagree. The Mac vs. PC ads were comparing the two PRODUCTS, not customers. It was telling Windows CUSTOMERS that it was OK to like the Mac. The Samsung ads are essentially telling Apple customers that they are idiots, which doesn't tend to endear them to people. Rightly or wrongly, most people don't like being told they are fanboys or idiots.

I guess it takes one to know one.
post #103 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The reason we used pencils and pens isn't because fingers weren't as good. We used pens and pencils because neither ink nor graphite comes out of our finger tips to write on dead trees.

No. There are finger paints, after all.

We write with pens because they are more precise. I don't know if you've ever attempted to "write" anything with your finger on an iPad, but it is exceedingly difficult.

On another note, the Mac vs. PC ads were just as smug and stupid. I'm glad they're over and don't specifically like the Samsung ads either. When Apple or Samsung/whoever go for an "emotional" angle they are reaching for the masses, who generally don't do research and just buy whatever crap catches their eye (yes, Apple absolutely does this too.) I feel like the Fantards (Apple or Android) make up an extremely small subset of the mobile market, and even that subset seems to be less concerned with performance and perhaps just swayed by a different sort of emotional manipulation. Anyway, the informed buyer is an outlier, was all I'd meant to suggest.

I feel like the stylus would be good for writing Cantonese/Mandarin specifically, and that isn't necessarily a small demographic, although there are input methods that are more efficient than "writing" them with a fat feckless finger OR marginally more precise stylus/"pen."
post #104 of 336
Quote:

inappropriate post removed

Understood.
post #105 of 336
I'm curious. What makes having a stylus so '90s? What about pen and pencil? Or mouse and keyboard? Hey, what's the point of having any of those now that we've touchscreens? Our fingers work great for writing, right?

The Galaxy Note runs Android with the inherent multitouch support. The stylus is a precision tool for writing and drawing for apps that supports it. I would be interested in such a device for work. Plus, the stylus is stored on the device such that you can't even tell there's a stylus hiding inside. http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find

The article claims that, "Setting itself apart from Apple's handset and tablet offerings, the Note utilizes a stylus as its main form input instead of the finger-based scheme made popular by the original iPhone." Your fingers are still the primary input; it's running Android for gd sake. The stylus allows you the option of precision writing/drawing when necessary. FYI: It's almost impossible to take engineering notes with a keyboard. You'll need to use your fingers or a stylus to do some drawings.
post #106 of 336
post #107 of 336
Why is everyone here so butthurt? Not even sure why this news was posted here.

It's an incredibly successful phone. Get over it. 700,000 sold just in South Korea and it just launched there recently.

Spec-wise it's also the best phone on the market.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #108 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palalune View Post

http://www.titleofsite.com/2012/01/samsung-vs-baristas/

Shamesung FTL

Such a reputable source.
post #109 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Of the 99 posts in this thread alone, 15 are from AbsoluteDesignz.

iPhone defense squad. I wonder if he gets paid.

Too bad everyone in this thread isn't even open minded enough to try this device. It's had amazing reviews, battery life is incredible, and it's ridiculously fast (4G and benchmarks).

It's only too big if you're wearing your little sister's pants

post #110 of 336
Is the author of this article a little butthurt or just plain stupid?

"...the Note utilizes a stylus as its main form input instead of the finger-based scheme made popular by the original iPhone."

ROFL - that's a straight out lie!!

And as if iphone was the first touch phone damn sheister.
post #111 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoled View Post

Is the author of this article a little butthurt or just plain stupid?

"...the Note utilizes a stylus as its main form input instead of the finger-based scheme made popular by the original iPhone."

ROFL - that's a straight out lie!!

And as if iphone was the first touch phone damn sheister.

Keep in mind the author of the article has never touched the device. Also it's on Apple Insider, of course it will be simply wrong.

And yes, we know the iphone wasn't the first touch screen phone. At least I sure hope most of them know

post #112 of 336
I thought it was a good ad, but the product doesn't appeal to me. It seems like a pretty good device for using as a mini tablet at home, but too big for a phone or portable device.
post #113 of 336
If Apple wanted to hit back in a negative way, all they'd have to do is show musicians creating music on iOS devices, something which Android just can't do due to inherent lag because of the way Android works.

If Apple wanted to stoop so low, which I highly doubt.

ZDnet has already described the ad as "lame" when describing the Best Buy ad as the best of the Super Bowl tech commercials.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #114 of 336
I did not wait in line when 4S or iPad2 launched in India, I walked in and walked out with the purchase.. Soooooooooo I am thinking the ad is not targeting me.. Looks like the PC vs MAC all over again.. Will apple retaliate with its own ad mocking Samsung.. I think not, it will be admitting that Samsung is a threat and surely it is not considering the sales that Apple has reported. I guess Interesting times ahead..
post #115 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If Apple wanted to hit back in a negative way, all they'd have to do is show musicians creating music on iOS devices, something which Android just can't do due to inherent lag because of the way Android works.

If Apple wanted to stoop so low, which I doubt they would.

Implying real musicians make music on an iphone
Implying any of that BS can't be done on any Android
Implying this device has lag.
Implying Apple has made tons of attack ads before

Oh you.

post #116 of 336
Quote:

ZDnet has already described the ad as "lame" when describing the Best Buy ad as the best of the Super Bowl tech commercials.

link? It says nothing about the Note on their website. All I can see are the articles criticizing Apple for being greedy with iBooks

post #117 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Implying real musicians make music on an iphone
Implying any of that BS can't be done on any Android
Implying this device has lag.
Implying Apple has made tons of attack ads before

Oh you.

Yawn!

Educate yourself.
post #118 of 336
Wow, that was $10.5M well spent!

Stylus (pen)? A bunch of people singing and dancing for a reason that gets lost pretty quickly? A conclusion that admits the ad was "over the top"?

Who hired the ad agency and did (s)he know they were obvious Apple fanboys?

How embarrassing!
post #119 of 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

link? It says nothing about the Note on their website. All I can see are the articles criticizing Apple for being greedy with iBooks

Yeah it's there, but look who the author is

"Jason O'Grady is a journalist and author specializing in mobile technology. He has published six books on Apple...."
post #120 of 336
Quote:

Yawn!

Educate yourself.

Read my previous post again.

Phones are not for making music. I don't care who you are. They're toys when it comes to making music.

And what does an awful "music app" have to do with the superbowl ad again?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung Galaxy Note Super Bowl ad takes more jabs at Apple users