or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Halliburton to ditch BlackBerrys in corporate transition to Apple's iOS platform

Halliburton to ditch BlackBerrys in corporate transition to Apple's iOS platform - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

Halliburton is not the best of companies

Er, OK....

Quote:
but few can match their logistics and distribution capabilities.

Huh? Somethings out of whack here....
post #42 of 75
I really don't understand why they choose Apple's iOS over android! Some sources, which I am not allowed to reveal have clearly shown, that iOS has no future, and Apple is for sure doomed! ;-)
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's an interesting article I ran across:

Apple's iPhone Business is Now Larger Than All of Microsoft[/B]

Isn't it amazing!
Quote:

[B]
and this classic;

Ballmer Laughs at iPhone

Seen this video a hundred times, and it still gives me laughs! Sometimes, I hope they keep chair throwing monkey boy for many years to come.
post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post

You want to talk about stealing taxpayer dollars, let's start with the massive entitlement apparatus being expanded and entrenched daily by your liberal wacko heroes.

You do realize that the greatest subsidies go not to the poor, or women, or racial minorities or healthcare, but to big businesses that push an agenda that sells us all short while proclaiming to be "pro-business" and small government. They don't want small government - unless that means just cutting out the parts they're not selling to / providing for. And as far as pro business goes - they're all in it for themselves.

So go watch some more fox news so you can be told what to hate tomorrow.
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

As they should, Halliburton is a bunch of a$$h0le$ directed by Dick C.

You (obviously don't) realize Cheney retired from Halliburton and sold all of his stock almost 12 years ago?
post #46 of 75
Liberal media?
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple doesn't dictate who can or cannot use it's products.

That's up to each and every corporation to adopt or not.

This is true. I'm sure there are many other dodgy enterprises which make use of Apple products as well.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

You do realize that the greatest subsidies go not to the poor, or women, or racial minorities or healthcare, but to big businesses

I was going to say 1/3 of the budget goes for defense, 1/3 for entitlements such as social security and medicare, and 1/3 for everything else.

Nevermind - entitlements are now 50%, Defense 1/4 and everything else 1/4: http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/...n_0010#usgs302

Lovely. Our capsizing is happening faster than predicted.

Quote:
So go watch some more fox news so you can be told what to hate tomorrow.

Shooting the messenger rather than the message just makes you look like you don't have an intelligent point to contribute.

And it's pretty lame. Cheap and easy, but lame all the same.
post #49 of 75
Quote:

For 5 years over a decade ago. Let it go.
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

the company I work for is now giving the iPhone 4s as an option to the blackberry, if you already have a blackberry then you cannot switch unless your BB is broken. you guessed it, mine broke and I got an iPhone. Seems more and more blackberry are breaking around here. as an employee, good for all that either get an upgrade to an iPhone or at least have the option to use one or the other.

LOL... "My brand new BBM is broken. It was working fine yesterday before I dropped in that bucket of drain opener."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I really don't understand why they choose Apple's iOS over android! Some sources, which I am not allowed to reveal have clearly shown, that iOS has no future, and Apple is for sure doomed! ;-)

Is your source using a forum handle that rhymes with "crappy"?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Is your source using a forum handle that rhymes with "crappy"?

Huh! How could you possibly have guessed this? Crapppy Slapppy is not so happpy now is sh/he?
post #53 of 75
I don't understand why this gets the red breaking news color. Big companies move to iPhones and iPads all the time. Maybe a company moving 100,000 devices would be slightly newsworthy, but this doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
post #54 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Huh! How could you possibly have guessed this? Crapppy Slapppy is not so happpy now is sh/he?

At least slapppy or whatever their name is doesn't sail under false flags, unlike some other hypocritical people here who bash Apple, yet still use Apple products.
post #55 of 75
Quote:

Dick Cavett runs Halliburton?
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

As a left-winger I agree with you and I say: "Oh my god! A deal with the devil!"

But as a stockholder I say: "Business is business; ka-ching ka-ching."

Left winger and a capitalist? Apples and oranges!
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I don't understand why this gets the red breaking news color. Big companies move to iPhones and iPads all the time. Maybe a company moving 100,000 devices would be slightly newsworthy, but this doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Agreed, reading today that Apple's iPhone division alone is worth double all Microsoft's divisions combined is starting to make news like this seem like reporting rain is wet. Why wouldn't large companies want the best?

BTW the rest of Apple minus the iPhone is also worth more than double what all of Microsoft is worth too
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by macclone View Post

Left winger and a capitalist? Apples and oranges!

Read any work by Adam Smith?
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I was going to say 1/3 of the budget goes for defense, 1/3 for entitlements such as social security and medicare, and 1/3 for everything else.

Nevermind - entitlements are now 50%, Defense 1/4 and everything else 1/4: http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/...n_0010#usgs302

Lovely. Our capsizing is happening faster than predicted.

Shooting the messenger rather than the message just makes you look like you don't have an intelligent point to contribute.

And it's pretty lame. Cheap and easy, but lame all the same.

Can we get back to talking about Apple?
post #60 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

As a Right-Winger I say "boy it sure didn't take the moon-bats long to derail this one!"

But as a stockholder I say: "Business is business; ka-ching ka-ching."

Is that as funny as yours was?!

You honestly have no idea about Halliburton.....All you know is that bull that Michael Moore has peddled and liberals have eaten up for years. Too bad no other multinational corporation was able to provide any services for troops or volunteered.

Halliburton is a great company with great leadership and great employees. Too bad liberals criticize them, while drinking four dollar lattes, for having a sound business model and true leadership. Obama could learn something from Mr. Lesar. They provide a service and if you would like, you can stop using that product they help produce and boycott their customers. Doubtful though it would really do anything.

Good for both Apple and Halliburton. Having first hand experience, Halliburton employees, they hated the corporate BlackBerry. Many of them carried the BlackBerry and a personal iPhone.
post #61 of 75
That's a big company. That's going to piss off a lot of tech weenies. Hahahaha. Losers. Some would rather keep their BB to themselves and responsible for their own costs.

On a separate note...can someone tell me how good are the iPhone's enterprise security policy management tools?
post #62 of 75
And mobile management nightmare is starting @ Halliburton.. and a lot more expensive too! All apps are associated to an Apple ID.. when someone leaves the company, bye bye app! Apples solution? Buy the app again for the next user!! Fine and dandy for Apple since they make 30% every time you buy an app.. sucks for the company having to rebuy an app over and over and over again!

I'm sorry but Apple sucks @ enterprise..
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jla0 View Post

And mobile management nightmare is starting @ Halliburton.. and a lot more expensive too! All apps are associated to an Apple ID.. when someone leaves the company, bye bye app!:

If a company does not know how to manage their own hardware/software/company purchases, then they deserve to lose the app.
[quote]Apples solution? Buy the app again for the next user!! Fine and dandy for Apple since they make 30% every time you buy an app.. sucks for the company having to rebuy an app over and over and over again![/quotee]
Why wouldn't a company manage AppleIDs for their own hardware/software/company purchases? Let the employee use to and when the employee leaves, the company issues it to another employee?
post #64 of 75
Quote:

And mobile management nightmare is starting @ Halliburton.. and a lot more expensive too! All apps are associated to an Apple ID.. when someone leaves the company, bye bye app! Apples solution? Buy the app again for the next user!! Fine and dandy for Apple since they make 30% every time you buy an app.. sucks for the company having to rebuy an app over and over and over again!

I'm sorry but Apple sucks @ enterprise..

Enterprise Application management is different than public Consumer Apple ID management.
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

For consistently reinforcing my decision to put you on the ignore list!!!

Enjoy your class guilt, your entitlement jingoism, your desire to run the world into the ground for no effective improvement to the human condition. Fake ideals are far more important than real influence, than really making a difference. Remember, it's all about you, and what you believe. Not reality.

Now there's a guilty conscience.
post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Enterprise Application management is different than public Consumer Apple ID management.

Really? All I see is volume purchasing, but no volume management. Unless the provided documentation on the VPP program is really lacking, all VPP looks to do is provide codes for employees to use to redeem and "purchase" the app from the App store. I have seen nothing about how to attach that App to a corporate identity so the app can be harvested and reused if the employee or device is re-assigned, or if you are in a Bring Your Own Device environment - which is becoming far more common.

Hopefully I'll be getting our VPP account set up in the next week or so and I'll have a chance to play with this myself, but so far it looks like Apple only has a partial solution and jla0 is - unfortunately - very correct.

And as for the idiotic suggestion about "corporate Apple IDs" - again unless something very fundamental is not spelled out in the provided online documentation, Apple IDs can only be attached to 10 devices. Yeah, that's real practical
post #67 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Now there's a guilty conscience.

No, just another rational person who is disgusted by the baseless class warfare and labelism that's substituted far too often for intelligent thought

Why bother to form your own opinions when you can find a group, join them, and then just hurtle slogans back and forth?
post #68 of 75
Directly from Apple:

"Distributing redemption codes

You can distribute the redemption URLs by email or SMS, or post them on a website that you make accessible to the appropriate groups and users. You may want to create a website that offers a catalog of the apps you purchased and that issues redemption codes to authorized users. Many third-party Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions also provide a way to centrally manage and distribute codes.

Users install the apps you purchase for them by going to the redemption URL on their iOS device. This takes them directly to the App Store with the redemption code already entered, so all they have to do is authenticate with their Apple ID. It’s the same process as with any other app from the App Store, but because you’ve provided the prepaid redemption code, users aren’t charged for the purchase.

Each redemption code can be used only once. Each time a redemption code is used, an updated version of the purchase spreadsheet becomes available for you at the Volume Purchase Program website. Download the spreadsheet to see how many codes have been used, and to view the remaining redemption codes.

Once a user installs the app, it’s backed up and updated just like any other App Store app."
post #69 of 75
Quote:

Directly from Apple:

Here it comes...

Quote:
so all they have to do is authenticate with their Apple ID.
[...]
Each redemption code can be used only once. Each time a redemption code is used, an updated version of the purchase spreadsheet becomes available for you at the Volume Purchase Program website. Download the spreadsheet to see how many codes have been used, and to view the remaining redemption codes.

Thank you for proving my point for me. Once used, the code is gone. Poof! It's attached to "their Apple ID" - straight from Apple, as you say.

So what do I do when the user leaves the company or no longer needs the app? How do I harvest that license to reuse it?

Answer: I don't.

Huge shortcoming.

Granted, iOS apps are typically a fraction of a cost of traditional apps - but not when you start talking business apps. The prices shoot up dramatically making this even more of an issue.
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

This is true. I'm sure there are many other dodgy enterprises which make use of Apple products as well.

Don't forget "dodgy" governments...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #71 of 75
Quote:

Here it comes...

Thank you for proving my point for me.

Yes! The exact point *I* was trying to make!

Quote:

Once used, the code is gone. Poof! It's attached to "their Apple ID" - straight from Apple, as you say.

So what do I do when the user leaves the company or no longer needs the app? How do I harvest that license to reuse it?

Answer: I don't.

Huge shortcoming.

Granted, iOS apps are typically a fraction of a cost of traditional apps - but not when you start talking business apps. The prices shoot up dramatically making this even more of an issue.

Like I said.. Good for Apple, they make 30% everytime, VERY bad for businesses, Apps are now like pencils.. dispensable!
post #72 of 75
Quote:

Directly from Apple:

"Distributing redemption codes

You can distribute the redemption URLs by email or SMS, or post them on a website that you make accessible to the appropriate groups and users. You may want to create a website that offers a catalog of the apps you purchased and that issues redemption codes to authorized users. Many third-party Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions also provide a way to centrally manage and distribute codes.

Users install the apps you purchase for them by going to the redemption URL on their iOS device. This takes them directly to the App Store with the redemption code already entered, so all they have to do is authenticate with their Apple ID. It’s the same process as with any other app from the App Store, but because you’ve provided the prepaid redemption code, users aren’t charged for the purchase.

Once a user installs the app, it’s backed up and updated just like any other App Store app."

Did you read the part where it said Halliburton worked closely with Apple on this?....Guess not. The apps Halliburton has/will develop INTERNALLY will NEVER be found in the App store or distributed by Apple!

Here is a link to Apple's "Build breakthrough apps for your employees . Learn about in-house app development for iPhone and iPad".

http://www.apple.com/business/accele...e-process.html

Here is how the Apps will be distributed. DIRECTLY FROM APPLE'S WEBSITE!

http://www.apple.com/business/accele...tribution.html

Distribute apps to your users.

Distributing in-house apps can be done either by hosting your app on a simple web-server you create internally, or by using a third-party Mobile Device Management solution. Your specific requirements, infrastructure and level of app management will dictate which solution makes the most sense for you.
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefthinker View Post

Did you read the part where it said Halliburton worked closely with Apple on this?....Guess not. The apps Halliburton has/will develop INTERNALLY will NEVER be found in the App store or distributed by Apple!

Here is a link to Apple's "Build breakthrough apps for your employees . Learn about in-house app development for iPhone and iPad".

http://www.apple.com/business/accele...e-process.html

Here is how the Apps will be distributed. DIRECTLY FROM APPLE'S WEBSITE!

http://www.apple.com/business/accele...tribution.html

Distribute apps to your users.

Distributing in-house apps can be done either by hosting your app on a simple web-server you create internally, or by using a third-party Mobile Device Management solution. Your specific requirements, infrastructure and level of app management will dictate which solution makes the most sense for you.

Please read so you don't sound like an idiot.

I never said they'd pay for in-house apps!

You REALLY think they'll use JUST in-house apps??
post #74 of 75
Nice. Now those "private security companies" can all Instagram their prisoner abuse.
post #75 of 75
Quote:

Don't forget "dodgy" governments...

Indeed. A free latest iPhone model from the US is probably the best bribe out there in the developing world, and probably Africa.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Halliburton to ditch BlackBerrys in corporate transition to Apple's iOS platform
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Halliburton to ditch BlackBerrys in corporate transition to Apple's iOS platform