or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: First Enyo-based iOS app, New Zealand trademark dispute
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: First Enyo-based iOS app, New Zealand trademark dispute

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
The first app developed for Apple's iOS using the now open-source Enyo 2.0 framework has hit the App Store, while Apple seeks to bar the trademarking of a mobile device case called the "driPhone" in New Zealand.

First Enyo 2.0 iOS app

Developer James Harris has launched his FlashCards To Go iPad app on Monday, and is the first iOS program written in the Enyo 2.0 framework following HP's decision to make webOS available to open-source projects, reports The Verge.

In failing to find a licensee for its webOS mobile platform, HP announced in December that it would be contributing the operating system and its Enyo framework to the open source community. A major selling point for the software is its cross-platform coding ability, and developers like Harris are beginning to take advantage of the JavaScript framework.

Apple's iOS is the sixth mobile platform to support the learning tool, and Harris hopes to leverage Enyo's flexibility to bring the app to Mac and BlackBerry sometime soon.




The $3.99 app currently runs on any iPad with iOS 5, with support for older versions of iOS coming in the future.

driPhone trademark dispute

Apple is opposing the plans of New Zealand-based mobile phone case maker Hayden Crowther to trademark the name "driPhone," and offers the suggestion that the letter "i" be switched with "y" to avoid confusion with the company's iPhone monicker, according to Stuff.co.nz.

The iPhone maker claims that the driPhone trademark "would be likely to deceive or cause confusion" and that the proposed trademark is not in line with New Zealand law.

"The applicant's trademark, or an essential element of it, is identical or similar to a trademark that is well-known in New Zealand," said law firm Henry Hughes, Apple's Wellington-based legal representation, in reference to the iPhone.

The currently-named driPhone is a waterproof case that fits an assortment of smartphones, including the iPhone as well as some Android models. According to the company's website, similar cases for the iPad and other tablets are coming soon.


driPhone case pictured with iPhone. | Source: driPhone


Crowther refuses to rename his invention, saying that the "driPhone" logo takes up less space than the proposed "dryPhone," and estimates that fighting a possible Apple suit would be cheaper than rebranding. He goes on to say that he will continue with plans to register the trademark worldwide.


[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 19
Ok please explain this? I must have had too many beers. Maybe a comma missing ... lol

"The $3.99 app currently runs on any iPad with iOS 5, with support for older versions of iOS coming in the future."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #3 of 19
The "driPhone" is looks a lot like an AquaBox series 100.
http://www.aquaboxproducts.com/series100.htm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuping View Post

The "driPhone" is looks a lot like an AquaBox series 100.
http://www.aquaboxproducts.com/series100.htm

It's like Samsung was involved with the design. I'd say that Kiwi — a company that has to be from NZ — licensed the case from AquaBox for sale in NZ or AquaBox partnered with them in order to sell their case locally.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ok please explain this? I must have had too many beers. Maybe a comma missing ... lol

"The $3.99 app currently runs on any iPad with iOS 5, with support for older versions of iOS coming in the future."

All iPads can run iOS 5 so I guess this means that it's for those that don't upgrade.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #6 of 19
DRYPhone is a better name anyway... otherwise you have a waterproofing product with DRIP in the name!
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All iPads can run iOS 5 so I guess this means that it's for those that don't upgrade.

I was being facetious as I'm sure you know, " ... older versions of iOS coming in the future" just made me chuckle.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was being facetious as I'm sure you know, " ... older versions of iOS coming in the future" just made me chuckle.

I completely missed the part you were referring to. While not the most clear statement I think it's accurate as support would be the subject.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I completely missed the part you were referring to. While not the most clear statement I think it's accurate as support would be the subject.

Ok, I wasn't an English major, it just read kind of ambiguously to me After a few bottles of Sam Adams (still in mourning for the Patriots) .. and I was just joking around
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ok, I wasn't an English major, it just read as kind of ambiguous to me After a few glass .. and I was just joking around

But you're English!!! I thought the only thing the English majored in was English and tea time.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But you're English!!! I thought the only thing the English majored in was English and tea time.

Ha ha ... Noo I have the linguistic ability of a door knob. I do still like tea though.

Edit ... Forgot to mention I am American now BTW
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Ha ha ... Noo I have the linguistic ability of a door knob. I do still like tea though.

Edit ... Forgot to mention I am American now BTW

1) Linguists is a pain in the ass. You have to really love it to wade through all the inconsistent crap.

2) When did you get sworn in? And congrats!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Linguists is a pain in the ass. You have to really love it to wade through all the inconsistent crap.

2) When did you get sworn in? And congrats!

Thanks . October, 2008 in Tampa. I still have a British passport, not sure if it is valid though.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks . October, 2008 in Tampa. I still have a British passport, not sure if it is valid though.

Not valid!!! The TSA will have you doing the pledge nude after a body cavity search.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Not valid!!! The TSA will have you doing the pledge nude after a body cavity search.

Haha ... Ouch , I wasn't thinking of testing it believe me. The US do quire renuciation of previous nationality so I take them at their word. Although I have read the British authorities have a different approach to the whole having to give up the citizenship thing than the USA do. It is very hard to get any information on any of this. I personally know Brits who claim to keep the UK passport updated long after becoming US citizens. I won't be doing that.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #16 of 19
FYI, its Enyo 1.0, not 2.0. 2.0 was announced by HP, but will not likely be out for a while, 1.0 was just open sourced.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Haha ... Ouch , I wasn't thinking of testing it believe me. The US do quire renuciation of previous nationality so I take them at their word.

At the oath you renounce your foreign citizenship, but as it turns out the State Department has a much more "open" feeling about dual citizenship. The Supreme Court has ruled that dual citizenship is allowed so that declaration during the oath is essentially meaningless. You're free to continue maintaining your UK citizenship (by updating your passport if you like). I understand if you wish to take the oath "seriously" and not do this though. The State Department's official position is that dual citizenship is "troublesome" and they rather you not do it (because it can cause issues like: whose embassy deals with you if you get into trouble in a foreign country), and certainly when in the US you should avoid calling yourself a dual citizen to avoid any conflicts.

Quote:
Although I have read the British authorities have a different approach to the whole having to give up the citizenship thing than the USA do. It is very hard to get any information on any of this. I personally know Brits who claim to keep the UK passport updated long after becoming US citizens. I won't be doing that.

Last time I entered the UK with a US passport, they saw that my passport said I was born in the UK, and asked me for my British Passport. I don't know how common this is, but as far as the UK is concerned you're still a British Citizen and as such should show a British Passport. I'm guessing if you don't have a current one they wouldn't bar you from entry with US one though.

Personally I use my US passport for all my travel, except to the UK, where I take my UK passport with me. Upside: You get through immigration faster!
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

At the oath you renounce your foreign citizenship, but as it turns out the State Department has a much more "open" feeling about dual citizenship. The Supreme Court has ruled that dual citizenship is allowed so that declaration during the oath is essentially meaningless. You're free to continue maintaining your UK citizenship (by updating your passport if you like). I understand if you wish to take the oath "seriously" and not do this though. The State Department's official position is that dual citizenship is "troublesome" and they rather you not do it (because it can cause issues like: whose embassy deals with you if you get into trouble in a foreign country), and certainly when in the US you should avoid calling yourself a dual citizen to avoid any conflicts.


Last time I entered the UK with a US passport, they saw that my passport said I was born in the UK, and asked me for my British Passport. I don't know how common this is, but as far as the UK is concerned you're still a British Citizen and as such should show a British Passport. I'm guessing if you don't have a current one they wouldn't bar you from entry with US one though.

Personally I use my US passport for all my travel, except to the UK, where I take my UK passport with me. Upside: You get through immigration faster!

I truly appreciate the response and so sorry for getting so OT. I have sent you a private message.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I truly appreciate the response and so sorry for getting so OT. I have sent you a private message.

Once the thread starts to die down or is old getting OT is fine, IMO. I love this site because of the different topics that are discussed in the forum. I could go to dozens of sites if I just wanted the news but I come here for the conversation and information.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: First Enyo-based iOS app, New Zealand trademark dispute