or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › FBI file on Steve Jobs reveals he was considered for White House position
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FBI file on Steve Jobs reveals he was considered for White House position

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation has released its 191-page file on Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, revealing he was considered for an appointment to the White House in 1991, and that there was a bomb threat against him in 1985.

The public document is now available to view in its entirety at the FBI's official website. The document, first highlighted by Gawker, reveals that Jobs was considered for appointment to the President's Export Council by the George H.W. Bush administration in 1991.

A level III background investigation on Jobs was conducted at the request of the White House as he was being considered for the position. The file, author John Cook noted, includes an uncharacteristically high number of derogatory comments for an FBI investigation.

"Often the agents only interview employers and people who are suggested by the candidate," Cook wrote. "It's obviously unclear who these quoted folks are, but if they were among the people Jobs referred the agents to, then he didn't know his friends very well."

The names of the people who made the comments are redacted, but they include numerous statements characterizing Jobs as "deceptive," and having "questionable" moral character. One person said that "Mr. Jobs has integrity as long as he gets his way."

The documents also reveal a bomb threat that was called into Apple's headquarters on Feb. 7, 1985, in which an unnamed caller claimed to have placed "devices" to go off in the homes of certain individuals. The person said that a million dollars must be paid to them or they would detonate the bombs.




In response, the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office canine unit made sweeps of the victims' residences and vehicles. No bombs were located.

The FBI's San Francisco Division maintained contact with Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., but no additional threatening calls were placed to the company. With no new information obtained, the case was considered closed as of August of 1985.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 45
It seems in Steve Jobs life.
post #3 of 45
So every person who has a background check done by the FBI, even if they are only being considered for a government position, can have that report publicly displayed later? Seems like a big privacy issue. How many other people have had their entire history put online for everyone to see by the FBI?
post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A level III background investigation on Jobs was conducted at the request of the White House as he was being considered for the position. The file, author John Cook noted, includes an uncharacteristically high number of derogatory comments for an FBI investigation.


I wonder if that is why he was passed over for appointment? Who got it instead?
post #5 of 45
...iFBI
post #6 of 45
So a very successful thirty-something has people who will say bad things about him behind his back. Surprise surprise.
post #7 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

So every person who has a background check done by the FBI, even if they are only being considered for a government position, can have that report publicly displayed later? Seems like a big privacy issue. How many other people have had their entire history put online for everyone to see by the FBI?

on top of that, they left his Social Security # completely viewable...
Maybe it doesn't matter once you are are dead perhaps but it seems like someone could try to steal his identify nonetheless.
post #8 of 45
They recommended him for a position of trust and responsibility, according to the FBI files.

Several individuals questioned Mr. Jobss honesty stating that Mr. Jobs will twist the truth and distort reality in order to achieve his goals, according to the FBI file.

then this:

One section said, It was [redacted] opinion that honesty and integrity are not required qualities to hold such a position.

According to http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...U1Q_story.html

No wonder people hate the government....
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post

on top of that, they left his Social Security # completely viewable...
Maybe it doesn't matter once you are are dead perhaps but it seems like someone could try to steal his identify nonetheless.

Your SSN becomes public record after you die, in case you weren't aware, in the Social Security Death Master File. In fact one of the reasons it's done is to prevent identity theft after death.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The public document is now available to view in its entirety at the FBI's official website.

Wow. The document contains horrible stuff. It should be read or a least glanced through.
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

So every person who has a background check done by the FBI, even if they are only being considered for a government position, can have that report publicly displayed later? Seems like a big privacy issue. How many other people have had their entire history put online for everyone to see by the FBI?

Likely it depends in large part on the historical importance of public figures. It is difficult to think that private individuals are under the same rules as celebrities and other public figures.

The other consideration is transparency in government. It seems like a good thing that the FBI's work product be scrutinized, absent national security issues.
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Several individuals questioned Mr. Jobss honesty stating that Mr. Jobs will twist the truth and distort reality in order to achieve his goals, according to the FBI file.

Translation: RDF

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Translation: RDF

Exactly. And how is that different from any politician?

"Steve Jobs actually had something come out of his RDFing as opposed to deadlock and political nonsense?"

Well, yeah...

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #14 of 45
[REDACTED], so that jealous people could tear him down.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I wonder if that is why he was passed over for appointment? Who got it instead?



Quote:
Despite reservations about his personal integrity, the interviewees all said there was no reason Jobs should not be given the presidential appointment to the Export Council, which he subsequently received.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...jobs-fbi-file/
post #16 of 45
He would have made a great president. His ability to successfully invoke the reality distortion field would have come in handy. Term after term administrations have attempted to do this unsuccessfully. It just comes off as bald-faced lies.
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

He would have made a great president. His ability to successfully invoke the reality distortion field would have come in handy.

The same could be said about Obama, but he's been a terrible president. America resembles Nazi Germany more and more every day.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #18 of 45
I have it on good authority that...

▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬ ▬▬▬. ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬. ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬.

▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬. ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬. ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬. ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬ ▬ ▬▬▬▬.

Or so I'm told.


edit: Hey what happened to my post? Must be Carnivore.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The same could be said about Obama, but he's been a terrible president. America resembles Nazi Germany more and more every day.

17 posts in and you invoke Godwin's Law. A new record?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The same could be said about Obama, but he's been a terrible president. America resembles Nazi Germany more and more every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

17 posts in and you invoke Godwin's Law. A new record?

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

People who say 'X' resembles Nazi Germany tend to have absolutely no idea what Nazi Germany was like.

For one thing, America if anything is becoming more socialist, i.e. left wing, not fascist, right wing.
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The same could be said about Obama, but he's been a terrible president. America resembles Nazi Germany more and more every day.

Why? Are we finally building decent highways? Hosting the Olympics?
post #22 of 45
See page 80, likely to be from Susan Kelly Barnes, former Controller of the Macintosh Division at Apple, VP and CFO at NeXT:
"She considered the Appointee to be a person of high integrity who was ethical and honest."
"The Appointee was well off and had more money that [sic] he could spend in a lifetime and his chief concern was how that wealth would be used after he was gone."
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

17 posts in and you invoke Godwin's Law. A new record?

The only difference here is it's true.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The only difference here is it's true.

True or not, let's keep views on the government that aren't humorous caricatures of the concept of government in general in PoliticalOutsider.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The same could be said about Obama, but he's been a terrible president. America resembles Nazi Germany more and more every day.

Ireland, you need to have a pint of Guinness and then lie down somewhere quiet until you feel better. Really.
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

So every person who has a background check done by the FBI, even if they are only being considered for a government position, can have that report publicly displayed later? Seems like a big privacy issue. How many other people have had their entire history put online for everyone to see by the FBI?

There's got to be a time limit for privacy, or we'd have no history books. No biographies written a century later. I believe his privacy rights ended with his life.

If this had come out at the time, as it might have if there was a Senate hearing needed, it would have been a stink.

In actual terms, this is a decent report. The guy had enemies who said nasty things. Ho-hum. Bill Gates was arrested in New Mexico for late night hijinks. Ho-hum.

If he was dropped, by which president or president-elect(?) in 1991? Bush I or Clinton? I'd like to know the story.
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

True or not, let's keep views on the government that aren't humorous caricatures of the concept of government in general in PoliticalOutsider.

Just one more?

[redacted by agent Flaneur]

How about that, Ireland?
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Just one more?

[redacted by agent Flaneur]

How about that, Ireland?

Lol

Assuming you're being sarcastic of course.
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Lol

Assuming you're being sarcastic of course.

Dead serious, in a way.
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Ireland, you need to have a pint of Guinness and then lie down somewhere quiet until you feel better. Really.

Good advice, I think I'll take it for him.
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

For one thing, America if anything is becoming more socialist, i.e. left wing, not fascist, right wing.

Both actually.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

There's got to be a time limit for privacy, or we'd have no history books. No biographies written a century later. I believe his privacy rights ended with his life.

If this had come out at the time, as it might have if there was a Senate hearing needed, it would have been a stink.

In actual terms, this is a decent report. The guy had enemies who said nasty things. Ho-hum. Bill Gates was arrested in New Mexico for late night hijinks. Ho-hum.

If he was dropped, by which president or president-elect(?) in 1991? Bush I or Clinton? I'd like to know the story.

Ok, but who decides, why did the FBI choose one person over another? I look forward to seeing Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, JFK, RFK, MLK, J.E. Hoover, Michael Jackson, and Patton's entire file put up on the internet too.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Both actually.

Touche!
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Good advice, I think I'll take it for him.

Yeah, actually I'll join the both of you. Love me a Guinness. And the lying down bit, too.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

People who say 'X' resembles Nazi Germany tend to have absolutely no idea what Nazi Germany was like.

For one thing, America if anything is becoming more socialist, i.e. left wing, not fascist, right wing.

I find it true that people who say "X" resembles socialist, left wing, or communist, have no idea what socialist or communist society would be like.

If America is getting closer to becoming more socialist, taxing the rich and give more benefit to the poor wouldn't even be a subject that needs discussion.

As far as economic policies goes, America is indeed getting closer to what Nazi Germany was like. Politically, you can characterize it as more authoritarian, without needing to specify it as left wing or right wing, because both wings behave pretty much the same at their extreme.
post #36 of 45
One of the individuals interviewed by the FBI said that he did not think that Jobs was ethical or trustworthy, but that Jobs was nonethteless definitely qualified for a government appointment, because such jobs do not require any ethics. Ha!

From context, it's pretty obvious that the interviewee was Woz. I love that guy.
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

They recommended him for a position of trust and responsibility, according to the FBI files.

Several individuals questioned Mr. Jobss honesty stating that Mr. Jobs will twist the truth and distort reality in order to achieve his goals, according to the FBI file.

then this:

One section said, It was [redacted] opinion that honesty and integrity are not required qualities to hold such a position.

According to http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...U1Q_story.html

No wonder people hate the government....

It's pretty clear from the unredacted portions of the summary of interview that the person who said that was Woz. I love Woz.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

For one thing, America if anything is becoming more socialist, i.e. left wing, not fascist, right wing.

Erm, (from wiki) "Nazism, the common short form name of National Socialism "

His regime reeked of socialism. How else could you get so many stupid people to do so many stupid things!
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

How else could you get so many stupid people to do so many stupid things!

You could start a tea Party, and call yourself "patriots".
post #40 of 45
Glad he didn't get the role actually. He would have been under the reign of the second biggest knob head in world history.

The first was obviously junior.

I surmise that he hated government because they get in the way of innovation at the behest of big business "who care about as much to me as a festering ball of dog snot. If you combined their IQ you might have enough intelligence to tie their shoelace... if they didn't drool over themselves in the meantime."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › FBI file on Steve Jobs reveals he was considered for White House position