or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple again highlights Siri with new 'Road Trip,' 'Rock God' iPhone 4S ads

Apple again highlights Siri with new 'Road Trip,' 'Rock God' iPhone 4S ads

post #1 of 36
Apple on Thursday posted two new video ads showcasing how the Siri virtual assistant on the iPhone 4S can help people achieve dreams like cross-country road trips and playing in a rock band.

The promotional spots went up on Apple's website and its YouTube channel on Thursday as part of a series of ads for the iPhone 4S. Though the iPhone maker has also published commercials highlighting iCloud and the upgraded camera on the device, the bulk of its advertising efforts for its latest handset have been spent on showing off what Siri can do.

The "Road Trip" commercial shows a man asking directions from the east coast of the U.S. to the west coast. He and a companion are then depicted as going on a road trip and using Siri to search for restaurants, activities, directions and other information. The commercial ends with a shot of the couple standing at the Pacific Ocean.

"Remind me to do this again," the woman tells Siri. "Okay, I'll remind you," she replies.

"Rock God" begins with a young man telling Siri that he's "gotta get a guitar." The voice recognition software then helps him learn to play the instrument, make a list of band names and send a message to his friends that his band is playing in a garage.

"Call me a Rock God," he whispers to Siri after finishing a song. She responds with: "From now on, I'll call you 'Rock God'. OK?"

Apple focused on Siri with its first television ad last October. A couple months later, Apple's holiday-themed ad featuring Santa using Siri and the iPhone 4S was voted the most effective ad of the 2011 season.

The company has some work to do in convincing some skeptical customers that Siri, which is still in beta, is more than just a gimmick. Though initial reviewers touted Siri as a worthwhile reason to upgrade from the iPhone 4, a number of pundits have voiced disappointment in it.

Apple's cause isn't helped by the fact that the feature is only available in a few languages and has limited functionality in some regions outside of the U.S. The company has promised support for additional languages later this year, with one rumor suggesting that Siri will speak Mandarin, Japanese and Russian in March.

Siri's limitations notwithstanding, Apple has enjoyed phenomenal sales of the iPhone 4S thus far. The handset was the top-selling smartphone in the U.S. last quarter, followed by its predecessors, the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. Apple sold a record 37 million iPhones in the December quarter, up 128 percent year over year.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday posted two new video ads

It would be nice if I could view them, but Safari 5.1.2 is now refusing to play most videos, and keeps auto-reloading the whole web page.
post #3 of 36
I like how Apple's Siri commercials show what you can do with the new phone.

Compare that to these kinds of Android commercials, which are only about the specs.

http://youtu.be/9cU7MX1q9lI

Some people complain that Apple products are all shine and no substance. I'd say Android commercials give off that image more, if you just look at the marketing.
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Steve View Post

It would be nice if I could view them, but Safari 5.1.2 is now refusing to play most videos, and keeps auto-reloading the whole web page.

Works here, both on Apple and on Youtube. I'm on Safari 5.1.2. and Snow Leopard still.
post #5 of 36
It seems like they are constantly improving it. These queries are more advanced than in the original ads, requiring more context to understand.
post #6 of 36
These ads are good but I don't think they can be used in the UK since the sequences are shortened.

Quote:

You have a problem with your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Compare that to these kinds of Android commercials, which are only about the specs.

Some people complain that Apple products are all shine and no substance. I'd say Android commercials give off that image more, if you just look at the marketing.

The ad for the Galaxy Nexus isn't bad. It's about 80/20 with trying to evoke an emotion and throwing some features at you. The features at the end are all OS features, I think, so it doesn't come across as childish like in Droid ads. All in all it's a good ad. It's certainly not humorous like the Samsung ads but it also doesn't alienate the consumer like in the Samsung ads, thus making it the best Android-based phone ad I've seen. It's still not going to get me to buy a Nexus but I got to give credit where it's due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It seems like they are constantly improving it. These queries are more advanced than in the original ads, requiring more context to understand.

The beauty of server-side processing.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #7 of 36
Quote:
Though initial reviewers touted Siri as a worthwhile reason to upgrade from the iPhone 4, a number of pundits have voiced disappointment in it.

Yeah, isn't it why they're pundits? To take a huge dump on other people's achievements, not that they could ever aspire to achieve anything comparable? Pundit is just a vanity title for "paid bloggers."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, isn't it why they're pundits? Which is vanity title for "paid bloggers"?

I always seem to confuse the words pundits and dipshits.

post #9 of 36
I've had my iPhone 4S since November and have never used Siri once.

However, I DO use the new voice dictation that is now available in all apps.
post #10 of 36
Apple couldn't show these ads in the UK as Siri can hardly do any of this here. No maps, no business look ups - in fact pretty hopeless. In fairness Apple did put in tiny writing somewhere on their website that these services would only be available sometime in 2012 and yes I know its in Beta but really surprised as to whats holding them back. Its not like the information isn't available.
post #11 of 36
Quote:

If you are running Lion (10.7.3), try upgrading to 5.1.3.

Just a thought.

Also, have a look at the Activity Monitor in Utilities and see how much free memory you have. Safari can suck up all that is available over time and then Flash really plays up. Just quitting and re-starting Safari will free up a lot of memory. (Apple is working on this problem and I think that the latest update addressed this specific issue. Safari now for me, doesn't claim free memory the way that it did before the latest update and Flash is now reliable.)

All the best.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #12 of 36
... is how fast Apple will advance Siri and its abilities.

we can all imagine major advancements. how about voice recognition for security and telling different users from each other? how about alternative Siri personalities, like Hal? and once it's running in multiple languages, can't it be a universal translator too? i'm sure everyone here could add many more incredible ideas ...

if Apple keeps pushing the envelope, Siri could rule the world. (is this the birth of Skynet?).

anyway, i gotta teach it to call me Big Daddy right now.
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

... is how fast Apple will advance Siri and its abilities.

we can all imagine major advancements. how about voice recognition for security and telling different users from each other? how about alternative Siri personalities, like Hal? and once it's running in multiple languages, can't it be a universal translator too? i'm sure everyone here could add many more incredible ideas ...

if Apple keeps pushing the envelope, Siri could rule the world. (is this the birth of Skynet?).

anyway, i gotta teach it to call me Big Daddy right now.

Someone get on with a universal translator! I travel a lot for work and it would be funny to have a conversation with our phones as middlemen.
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by memotry View Post

Someone get on with a universal translator! I travel a lot for work and it would be funny to have a conversation with our phones as middlemen.

Surely this is a very bright light at the end on a now not nearly so scary, dark tunnel. The real question is... will you let a new acquaintance join your personal hotspot? Answer me that!

(Perhaps if he, she or it thinks that you are hot!)
post #15 of 36
How do they expect to sell any iPhone 4S devices if they don't slag off Android users....oh no, hang on a minute
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boich View Post

Apple couldn't show these ads in the UK as Siri can hardly do any of this here. No maps, no business look ups - in fact pretty hopeless. In fairness Apple did put in tiny writing somewhere on their website that these services would only be available sometime in 2012 and yes I know its in Beta but really surprised as to whats holding them back. Its not like the information isn't available.

I can find out what Orion looks like, the size of the Grand Canyon and set a reminder to "do this again" all the other questions only provoke an apology that sounds more like "sorry you're not in the United States perhaps you should move there."

Come on Apple isn't time us UK 4s users had the same service as the US. It's only rocket science.
post #17 of 36
Quote:

Agreed. I think more importantly, Apple has a clear vision on how to advertise it's products aids the end users on a daily basis. If you look at Droid commercials, it aims to be cool and hi-tech but completely out of touch with end users.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barstep View Post

I can find out what Orion looks like, the size of the Grand Canyon and set a reminder to "do this again" all the other questions only provoke an apology that sounds more like "sorry you're not in the United States perhaps you should move there."

Come on Apple isn't time us UK 4s users had the same service as the US. It's only rocket science.

Pfft, dont look at it that way...we are beta testers for rest of the world
post #19 of 36
I like Siri. (I'm using the British butler version of Siri, and it works fine.)
The most obvious thing that I'd like Siri to do is read things for me on the go.
Like, whatever is on the screen, web, Pages, notes, mail, iBooks etc.
post #20 of 36
He is just getting started. He should have said "Call me rock intern." Why did Siri not know this? I am beginning to suspect she might be a computer program.
post #21 of 36
Quote:

it's a sandbox feature -
post #22 of 36
Quote:

Agreed. Apple's commercials are masterful.

Unlike the ones that brag that the demand for their phone is so poor because no one wants them enough to wait a little bit.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #23 of 36
Only got sound on my ipad2....
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga View Post

it's a sandbox feature -

You look foolish making fun of something when you know absolutely nothing about it. Don't drag your lack of knowledge of a topic outside its original thread.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #25 of 36
Really going for the young crowd here. That couple on th road trip - is he really old enough for a drivers license? :P
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

However, I DO use the new voice dictation that is now available in all apps.

Oh, come on. You've had Siri for 3 months and you haven't even asked her what she's wearing, or asked her to open the pod-bay doors? How incurious can you be?
post #27 of 36
In the second spot, isn't that Justin Long from "I'm a Mac" fame?

Is anyone else with me? It makes sense then why they would only show the man's face from the nose down on close ups but they show the woman's entire face.

Voice and face are very similar, if it's not him.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by totencough View Post

In the second spot, isn't that Justin Long from "I'm a Mac" fame?

Is anyone else with me? It makes sense then why they would only show the man's face from the nose down on close ups but they show the woman's entire face.

Voice and face are very similar, if it's not him.

Not even close.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #29 of 36
If my SO spent our entire vacation talking to their phone, I'd dump them.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #30 of 36
I had to laugh at the coverage on one major news site over this ad, the focus was all on the fact Apple lied in the ad ... They Scream Siri cannot understand "Remind me to do this again".
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The beauty of server-side processing.

You know Apple don't make enough of this IMHO, yes it gets better but it could also be leveraged so sweetly for specific events: Take for example SuperBowl ... Siri knew nothing about it... yet here was an opportunity for the team to add a load of funny and serious stuff about an event they had to know would attract a lot of questions albeit for a limited period. What a great opportunity for free PR.
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris v View Post

If my SO spent our entire vacation talking to their phone, I'd dump them.

That's because of the misconception they are 'talking to a phone'. If you think of it as talking to a 'knowledge base' instead then asking about Orion or the depth of Grand Canyon makes total sense on a vacation in an educated and an ever keen for knowledge family.
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Call me a Rock God," he whispers to Siri after finishing a song. She responds with: "From now on, I'll call you 'Rock God'. OK?"

I don't have an 'S', does this really work? If so this ad will spawn a wave of people stealing other people's iPhones and telling Siri to call them all sorts of silly things. Wonder what I will tell Siri to call my wife?
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

Agreed. I think more importantly, Apple has a clear vision on how to advertise it's products aids the end users on a daily basis. If you look at Droid commercials, it aims to be cool and hi-tech but completely out of touch with end users.

The commercials speak to ordinary people. I'm sure the Droid commercials, with their odd, techno-gladiators fighting robots theme will go over well with the "I has bigger ghz than you suckaz" Slashdot trolls

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Call me a sceptic, but...Never? Not even one quick play? Not even to see if it works, before turning it off?

I don;t even *have* a 4S, and I've had a play with it.

I find this very, very surprising. Just saying.
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You know Apple don't make enough of this IMHO, yes it gets better but it could also be leveraged so sweetly for specific events: Take for example SuperBowl ... Siri knew nothing about it... yet here was an opportunity for the team to add a load of funny and serious stuff about an event they had to know would attract a lot of questions albeit for a limited period. What a great opportunity for free PR.

Don't give them any ideas. You don't want Siri pitching George Lucas movies and Chevrolet and Coca-Cola in your ear, or favoring certain restaurant chains when you ask what food is nearby, just because they paid for the Siri endorsement.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple again highlights Siri with new 'Road Trip,' 'Rock God' iPhone 4S ads
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple again highlights Siri with new 'Road Trip,' 'Rock God' iPhone 4S ads