or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › AT&T's 4G-compatible micro-SIM cards prompt speculation of LTE 'iPad 3'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T's 4G-compatible micro-SIM cards prompt speculation of LTE 'iPad 3'

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
AT&T stores have begun receiving new micro-SIM cards compatible with the carrier's LTE 4G network, prompting speculation that they could be compatible with a new third-generation iPad from Apple compatible with 4G LTE networks.

Pictures of the new LTE micro-SIM cards were published on Friday by PhoneArena.com. The cards are arriving in stores before the launch of the 4G Nokia Lumia 900, but also come weeks ahead of an anticipated announcement from Apple of a third-generation iPad.

Apple currently uses micro-SIM cards in both the iPhone and 3G-capable iPad for wireless data connectivity. But those cards are not compatible with AT&T's new high-speed 4G LTE network, available in select markets. Apple has yet to sell an LTE device.

Rumors of an LTE-capable iPad are not new. In January, Bloomberg reported that Apple had begun building a third-generation iPad with LTE connectivity built in. That report said the so-called "iPad 3" would launch in March.

Apple is expected to hold a media event the first week of March to introduce its third-generation iPad. The anticipated device is rumored to feature a high-resolution Retina Display.

While claims about the next iPad's display have been relatively consistent, little has been said about the 3G capabilities of the rumored device. Last year, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said poor battery life and other issues with the first generation of LTE chips were enough to dissuade the company from pursuing an LTE iPhone.




3G-compatible micro-SIM cards were first adopted by Apple in 2010 with the first-generation iPad. The smaller cards, which allow more space inside the device, eventually made their way to the iPhone line as well, and are still found in the new iPhone 4S, which is a world phone compatible with both GSM and CDMA networks.

In late 2010, it was said that Apple was developing its own open embedded SIM card that would work with multiple carriers. That change would have allegedly allowed customers to shop for mobile service directly from an Apple Store, eliminating the need for users to work with the carriers.

But Apple was said to have abandoned those plans after carriers in Europe allegedly threatened to cut subsidies. Mobile operators reportedly accused Apple of trying to wrest control of customers away from the carriers.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 45
I think the code for LTE found in iOS 5.1 looks more compelling.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #3 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T stores have begun receiving new micro-SIM cards compatible with the carrier's LTE 4G network, prompting speculation that they could be compatible with a new third-generation iPad from Apple compatible with 4G LTE networks.



LTE? Of course. See below:

Quote:
As for the iPad HD:

Quad rez screen, natch.

Driven by an A6 Multi-Core procesor and

Maybe a PowerVR Series6 GPU?

The main camera will be the same 8 MP currently found on the iPhone, while the front facing one will be the best on the market. The cameras will need to be top-notch due to the high rez display.

Thunderbolt? Yes indeed.

LTE? Of Course. It is needed to power:

Siri II, better than ever, with some exclusive features.

Mapping will finally do away with Google. Apple's mapping investments will pay off with the best free mapping the world has ever seen. It will blow away anything/everything currently on the market, because it will use...

Augmented reality baked into the OS. Powered by Siri. Nobody will ever leave the house without taking their iPad, because the word will seem devoid of content without it.



Each of these is currently available and Apple is technologically able to give us each of this things. Right now. In the new iPad HD.
post #4 of 45
isn't AT&T already selling LTE phones? i bet these use micro-sim cards
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T stores have begun receiving new micro-SIM cards compatible with the carrier's LTE 4G network, prompting speculation that they could be compatible with a new third-generation iPad from Apple compatible with 4G LTE networks. ...

Occam's Razor says these are not for the iPad 3.
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

isn't AT&T already selling LTE phones? i bet these use micro-sim cards

LTE sim cards currently used by att and Verizon are regular size
post #7 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Occam's Razor says these are not for the iPad 3.

A link to a Wikipedia entry does not an argument make.

LTE is where 3G was when the iPhone 3G/s was: It's a huge battery suck on any smartphone, so it may not be in Apple's best interest to push a device with battery problems. Their LAST response to 3G battery suck was to make the device (the iPhone4/s, iPad1/2) MOSTLY battery. They *may* beg off of LTE (due to all the carrier whining about 'lack of bandwidth' that started, ironically after AT&T botched the T-Mobile M&A).. so as to let the poor little carriers 'catch up' with their build out. That would also simplify the battery issue in the short term. But-

It's also (less, but I hope) likely that we'll all be pleasantly surprised if there's one device than can connect to all the carriers. With NO contract, like the iPad/2 are, but again. All carriers. It would certainly fit with Apple's theme of "simplify for the consumer".

Whatever Apple does with the cell/gps-enabled iPad (regardless of whether it's LTE or not) they will build on, and then push to the next iPhone. We'll know what that is, soon, I think.

Quote:
"In late 2010, it was said that Apple was developing its own open embedded SIM card that would work with multiple carriers. That change would have allegedly allowed customers to shop for mobile service directly from an Apple Store, eliminating the need for users to work with the carriers."

What's established is that now the carriers are in Apple's sights, and there is conflict brewing. And Apple, to sell even MORE hardware, wants to flatten/level them in much the same way they did with the Music Industry.
post #8 of 45
I think all iPhones and iPads will be LTE going forward. LTE is starting to really take off. Both AT&T and Verizon are ramping up as fast as they can. We already have it in many areas in Southern California. If the new iPad doesn't have it I will be really surprised and disappointed.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoofborg View Post

A link to a Wikipedia entry does not an argument make....

I was trying to be brief.

What I meant was that since the Lumina 900 is due out in early March and will use an LTE MicroSIM that alone could conveniently explain the sales of said SIM. Occam's Razor says that the simplest explanation or the existence of a simpler explanation generally discounts the more convoluted explanation or the explanation that requires extra assumptions not in evidence.

Therefore we don't need to leap to the conclusion that the next iPad has LTE because the sale of these SIMs is already explained by the Lumina 900.

It may have LTE anyway. My point was only that this is not necessarily evidence of that.
post #10 of 45
LTE on the 3rd generation iPad is looking very likely at this point though I think it will be the first time that Apple has put new cellular tech in the iPad before the iPhone.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoofborg View Post

LTE is where 3G was when the iPhone 3G/s was: It's a huge battery suck on any smartphone, so it may not be in Apple's best interest to push a device with battery problems.

The only factors that limit iPad battery life are cost and weight. There is lots of room in the case. I have a new LTE device from AT&T and the battery is pretty small, yet it lasts all day. I don't know what chips are inside but it seems to work. For Apple not to include LTE from now on would be insane. Perhaps there should be a settings option to turn it off, but it definitely needs that feature IMO.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The only factors that limit iPad battery life are cost and weight. There is lots of room in the case. I have a new LTE device from AT&T and the battery is pretty small, yet it lasts all day. I don't know what chips are inside but it seems to work. For Apple not to include LTE from now on would be insane. Perhaps there should be a settings option to turn it off, but it definitely needs that feature IMO.

Let's find out what chips, battery size, etc. What is the device to which you refer?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Let's find out what chips, battery size, etc. What is the device to which you refer?


Sierra Wireless Elevate

AirCard 754S Mobile Hotspot

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #14 of 45
Pantech burst uses a Micro Sim. Nothing to see here.
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

But it makes sense moving forward since Apple has moved to an update schedule of the new iPad many months before the new iPhone. (Or many months afterwards depending on how you look at it.) The iPad 2 did give us a sneak peak at the A5 for the iPhone 4S so it only makes sense we will see the new A6 and LTE in the iPad 3. By the end of 2012 all three major Apple carriers will cover more than 120 million people with LTE and more than 275 million by the end of 2013 assuming they meet their schedules.

I think Apple will keep the iPad and iPhone about 6 months apart due to the number of common components and likelihood that customers of one will be customers of the other.

As for the A4 and A5 chips coming to the iPad first is an indication that we'll see new cellular HW in the iPad first, there is no precedence for that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sierra Wireless Elevate

AirCard 754S Mobile Hotspot

There is so much different between an end user device and a personal hotspot that I can't begin to find ways to compare them.

Have you connected via LTE and run the battery from full to empty to see how long you can get with the device on idle and in heavy use?

edit: I couldn't find the internal HW specs outside of the basic network types it connects to but I did find one review that listed its usage. They state the "battery lasted 4 hours, 35 minutes of streaming over HSPA." That's not all day, nor is it even LTE. Now there is a hit for a hotspot due to the cellular and WiFi being pushed at the same time but it also doesn't' have a lot of the other processes of a smartphone or tablet. Do you have the extended battery pack?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps there should be a settings option to turn it off, but it definitely needs that feature IMO.


There certainly will be an option to turn it off. Large parts of Apple's target markets do not yet have it.

The option to use higher-tech, if available, will be included.
post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

LTE sim cards currently used by att and Verizon are regular size

Yes, but the soon-to-hit-shelves Nokia Lumia 900 with LTE uses micro-SIM cards....

Regs, Jarkko
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is so much different between an end user device and a personal hotspot that I can't begin to find ways to compare them.

Have you connected via LTE and run the battery from full to empty to see how long you can get with the device on idle and in heavy use?

I know, they are completely different. An iPad uses a lot more battery with screen display stuff and the hotspot uses more battery because it is using both WIFI and LTE at the same time.

I have not really drained it ever. I'm probably not the right person to test it since I'm too busy to go out and experiment. On idle and with moderate use it lasts several hours.

Overall it is a really nice piece of kit. I bought it mostly to connect my MBP. And I got the unlocked version from Amazon for when I travel abroad.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #19 of 45
GOD please make it so. All i care for iPad 3 is retina and LTE. What they do with cpu/gpu-cameras-ram i dont care.

BUT PLEASE LTE!!!
post #20 of 45
Question i was planing on using my unlimited ipad sim card on ipad 3. If it is LTE it wont work, so will calling AT&T for a transfer work?
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Question i was planing on using my unlimited ipad sim card on ipad 3.

Good luck with getting "unlimited".

Quote:
If it is LTE it wont work,

That's not true.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good luck with getting "unlimited".



That's not true.

I already have unlimited in my ipad original. By this report i cant just use the same micro sim it has to be micro sim for lte (If ipad 3 is LTE).

by the way this year usage is 700+gig on the ipad, so yes it is unlimited...
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

by the way this year usage is 700+gig on the ipad, so yes it is unlimited...

So you're tethering against your EULA? Again, good luck with continuing to have an actually unlimited plan once this thing is released. Particularly since you're tethering, too.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you're tethering against your EULA? Again, good luck with continuing to have an actually unlimited plan once this thing is released. Particularly since you're tethering, too.

No tethering, Netflix and video files from dropbox then using airplay to the tv...
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

No tethering, Netflix and video files from dropbox then using airplay to the tv...

An Apple TV would do the exact same thing FASTER without a monthly charge to use the data!
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

An Apple TV would do the exact same thing FASTER without a monthly charge to use the data!

I just dont see what apple tv do that i can't do right now. Without apps i cant explain teh purchase...
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

No tethering, Netflix and video files from dropbox then using airplay to the tv...

You're using 3G at home?
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #28 of 45
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You're using 3G at home?

I am. But DSL should be coming to my new apartment in a few weeks, assuming the telco doesn't horribly mess it up like a few months ago.

As for LTE, currently only up to 5km from the CBD in my city, though recently I've looked at the map and it's gone a bit beyond that... But for home/home office you still can't beat teh cable/ADSL for bandwidth and data allocation.

That said, I can regularly hit 6mbit/sec, sometimes past 7mbit/sec within 5km from the CBD through tethering my iPhone 4S (Telstra 3G [NexG])... but in any case I'm about 8km from the CBD.
post #30 of 45
LTE is the future, it has been agreed upon internationally. There is also the post-N WiFi coming soon. It would be great if the iPad 3 has both of these.
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

LTE on the 3rd generation iPad is looking very likely at this point though I think it will be the first time that Apple has put new cellular tech in the iPad before the iPhone.

It actually makes sense. Many folks that get Cellular iPads don't use that connection all the time since they can actually cancel it with no penalty. They might be counting on that on/off to lessen the load and give them a kind of beta run on LTE before it goes whole hog in an iPhone

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #32 of 45
The rest of the world has much more developed LTE networks and more usage.

Saying that Apple is building LTE iPads to "lightly test the LTE network" doesn't make sense outside of the USA.

An explanation that makes more sense is the limited availability of newer LTE chips at this time. Apple makes many more iPhones than iPads. By debuting the LTE chipset on an iPad, it gives Apple's supplier(s) time to ramp up production volumes so when the next-generation iPhone does arrive, there's (mostly) enough capacity to handle the demand.
post #33 of 45
Hi there I'm new to this forum. I would just like to add something regarding LTE. You see there is an alternative to LTE which WIMAX. Wimax is just wifi in steroids. It's unlimited data just like our internet connection although not as fast as LTE. They are both 4G technology but LTE is promoted by big wireless network because they can charge more. They can charge voice, text, and data volume. or data plan. In other works 4G LTE is just 3G (data plan) on steroids which enables the user to consume your data plan at a faster rate. Hence the user can quickly surpass their XGByte limit and penalize the user. But who cares, I am just a low life, nonsense, non-technical customer anyway.
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I am. But DSL should be coming to my new apartment in a few weeks, assuming the telco doesn't horribly mess it up like a few months ago.

As for LTE, currently only up to 5km from the CBD in my city, though recently I've looked at the map and it's gone a bit beyond that... But for home/home office you still can't beat teh cable/ADSL for bandwidth and data allocation.

That said, I can regularly hit 6mbit/sec, sometimes past 7mbit/sec within 5km from the CBD through tethering my iPhone 4S (Telstra 3G [NexG])... but in any case I'm about 8km from the CBD.

Sorry to hear your telco screwed up.

I understand using 3G if it's for temp usage before getting DSL or another type of 'permanent' internet connection, but ShAdOwXPR has used 700+ GB in 42 days over OTA with his iPad(?) I don't understand why he didn't get DSL. Or isn't it available everywhere? 'It' being internet, not specifically over a copper phone line.

I now have a better understanding why people would want LTE. For me, it's a non-issue since it's only available from one telco (Tele2) in The Netherlands and only in a small part of the country, which is already small (1/4 of Texas).

Don't forget that a map can tell you you are 8km away from your CBD, the cables may be laid out less logically than one would expect. I always have to explain to people why their DSL is advertised at a 'maximum possible of xxkbps' and that that number depends on the distance to the telco switching thing, whatever it's called in English.

I sympathize with US citizens for the internet offerings from telcos. Internet speeds seem to be so much better here in Europe. Cheaper too, but I digress (using that word a lot, I seem to like it).

Best

PS: I looked up 'CBD', but Wiki gives me 'CBD is an abbreviation for Central Business District or Compulsive Buying Disorder. The latter may apply to some getting their Apple gear, but in this case: what does it stand for?
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Sorry to hear your telco screwed up.

I understand using 3G if it's for temp usage before getting DSL or another type of 'permanent' internet connection, but ShAdOwXPR has used 700+ GB in 42 days over OTA with his iPad(?) I don't understand why he didn't get DSL. Or isn't it available everywhere? 'It' being internet, not specifically over a copper phone line.

I now have a better understanding why people would want LTE. For me, it's a non-issue since it's only available from one telco (Tele2) in The Netherlands and only in a small part of the country, which is already small (1/4 of Texas).

Don't forget that a map can tell you you are 8km away from your CBD, the cables may be laid out less logically than one would expect. I always have to explain to people why their DSL is advertised at a 'maximum possible of xxkbps' and that that number depends on the distance to the telco switching thing, whatever it's called in English.

I sympathize with US citizens for the internet offerings from telcos. Internet speeds seem to be so much better here in Europe. Cheaper too, but I digress (using that word a lot, I seem to like it).

Best

PS: I looked up 'CBD', but Wiki gives me 'CBD is an abbreviation for Central Business District or Compulsive Buying Disorder. The latter may apply to some getting their Apple gear, but in this case: what does it stand for?

It's not 42 days I'm counting from march to march which is when the ipad comes out...
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

It's not 42 days I'm counting from march to march which is when the ipad comes out...

Strange that over here you wrote 'this year', but anyhoo, why don't you have WiFi at home, if I may ask? Is internet unavailable at your location? Is it remote?

Thanks
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] micro-SIM cards compatible with the carrier's LTE 4G network [...]
[...] iPad from Apple compatible with 4G LTE networks. [...]
[...] not compatible with AT&T's new high-speed 4G LTE network [...]

Please use "LTE" and "4G" more accurately. They are not the same, and should not be used together.

LTE is an interim step. It is a precursor to true 4G networks. Yes, LTE does use some technologies
that that will be used in 4G networks, so those technologies may be referred to as "4G technologies."

But LTE is to 4G as a skateboard is to an automobile. Skateboards can be said to use "automotive technology"
because they have four wheels. But there's obviously a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Please use "LTE" and "4G" more accurately. They are not the same, and should not be used together.



Calling pre-LTE stuff 4G shouldn't happen. I agree with that.

But not calling LTE 4G? So what's LTE, then? Still 3G? 3.5G? Tell that to every single telecom out there. They'll never buy it.

"G" is what it's claimed to be. When everyone defines it as such, that's what it is.
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Please use "LTE" and "4G" more accurately. They are not the same, and should not be used together.

So you dn't want to call LTE '4G' even though...
  1. ...there is no worldwide body that says the number 4 and the letter G can only refer to LTE Advance
  2. ...that it's the 4th generation network architecture used by most MNOs
  3. ...and, that the ITU, the body that governs the specific definition within their limited space at you would have originally cling to has themselves loosened '4G' to include not only LTE but also HSPA+.
Your adhering to the ITU's old definition with an inability to recognize their current (and over a year old) definition is like the rumour of Japanese soldiers not knowing the war is over. The difference is they had no access to information and you're choosing to ignore it.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #40 of 45
Looks like the cellular-based iPad supply is constrained. It's looking like we will see the 16GB WiFi-only iPad 2 being sold along side the iPad 3.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • AT&T's 4G-compatible micro-SIM cards prompt speculation of LTE 'iPad 3'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › AT&T's 4G-compatible micro-SIM cards prompt speculation of LTE 'iPad 3'