or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs wins posthumous Grammy, accepted by Apple iTunes chief Eddy Cue

Steve Jobs wins posthumous Grammy, accepted by Apple iTunes chief Eddy Cue

post #1 of 29
Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was awarded a Grammy Trustees Award on Saturday, and Apple senior vice president of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, accepted the award on his behalf.

The National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences awards its Grammy Trustees Award every year to "individuals who, during their careers in music, have made significant contributions, other than performance, to the field of recording." Past recipients include Walt Disney and Dick Clark.

Jobs was recognized on Saturday as part of the Grammy Special Merit Awards, winning a trustee award for his part in creating the iPod and iTunes, and the effect both have had on the music industry.

Cue, accepting the award for Jobs, said people first questioned why Apple would make a music player when the first iPod was unveiled in 2001. He said that Apple chose to make the iPod because they loved music, and Jobs believed it's always good to do something you love.

"Steve was a visionary, a mentor, and a very close friend," Cue said. "I had the incredible honor of working with him for the last 15 years. Accepting this award means so much to me, because music meant so much to him."

Jobs won the award along with Dave Bartholomew, a prominent New Orleans band leader and arranger, and Rudy Van Gelder, an American recording engineer specializing in jazz.

That Jobs was awarded the Grammy was first announced in December, but the statue was not officially handed over until Saturday. A formal acknowledgement will be made during the Grammy Awards telecast Sunday evening.

The award is the second Grammy given to Jobs. Apple won a technical Grammy award in 2002.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 29
Nice! Congrats to Steve.
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs won the award along with Dave Bartholomew, a prominent New Orleans band leader and arranger, and Rudy Van Gelder, an American recording engineer specializing in jazz.

Does anybody really think Steve deserves to be mentioned alongside the great Rudy Van Gelder?
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Does anybody really think Steve deserves to be mentioned alongside the great Rudy Van Gelder?

Yes. Recall Apple invented the iPod (1,000 songs in your pocket) and saved the recording industry from pirates. Thanks to Steve Jobs, Apple has long taken a leadership role in respecting the rights of musicians and the industry.
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yes. Recall Apple invented the iPod (1,000 songs in your pocket) and saved the recording industry from pirates. Thanks to Steve Jobs, Apple has long taken a leadership role in respecting the rights of musicians and the industry.

^^^^ Agree
post #6 of 29
Quote:

Quite obviously, the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences thinks so.

And you do realize Rudy Van Gelder did not win this Grammy for anything related to performing music?
post #7 of 29
Quote:

Do you think anybody shives a git what you think other than you?

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quite obviously, the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences thinks so.

And you do realize Rudy Van Gelder did not win this Grammy for anything related to performing music?

Given that the category he won is for non-performers, yes.
post #9 of 29
Quote:

And?
Steve Jobs won for non-performer also.
post #10 of 29
Quote:

And?
Steve Jobs won for non-performer also.

And nothing. I was answering a question which was asked of me.
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Do you think anybody shives a git what you think other than you?

Could somebody take that knife off Realistic?

That's the second vicious post I've seen in as many days.

He seems...aggravated.

(I'm just kiddin' with you, Realistic. Don't stab me!)
post #12 of 29
Quote:

So back to the beginning, you feel the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences made poor choice and they don't know what they are doing because they selected Steve Jobs?
post #13 of 29
Steve Won a grammy. SO here it goes. This is my contribution to his win. Text to speech the following and you will agree that this is of an artistic nature.

I'm sorry but the song you have requested is not available. The iPod is booting up. Please check back later when my sprinkler goes, shipshipshipshipshipshipshipshipshipship ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. Thank you the iPod is now booted up and ready to play head games. Have a nice f ucking day.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #14 of 29
Quote:

So back to the beginning, you feel the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences made poor choice and they don't know what they are doing because they selected Steve Jobs?

No.

///
post #15 of 29
Steve had the Midas touch, everything he touched turned into gold. Just accepted it.
He was not sufficiently appreciated when alive, and now his absence is so apparent.
post #16 of 29
Congratulations Steve Jobs!
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Steve Won a grammy. SO here it goes. This is my contribution to his win. Text to speech the following and you will agree that this is of an artistic nature.

I'm sorry but the song you have requested is not available. The iPod is booting up. Please check back later when my sprinkler goes, shipshipshipshipshipshipshipshipshipship ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. ship. Thank you the iPod is now booted up and ready to play head games. Have a nice f ucking day.

?????????????
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

?????????????

Of course you would say ??????????????. It was meant to make no sense at all. But it was fun to post it any way. LOL.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #19 of 29
Apple came up with the iPod, but was by no means the first MP3 player. What they did was make it smaller and better than what was already on the market.
post #20 of 29
Quote:

No.

///

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ok so you first comment (last comment in the quotes) I do not know who Rudy Van Gelder is and had to look him up. Now he maybe great Jazz engineer, but Steve was not limited to one genre and allowed people to listen to various different genres much easier then going to record store and having to go through vinyls, which took time and effort. Think before you speak and understand the contibution of the person!
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Think before you speak and understand the contibution of the person!

The Zither etc etc guy is just full of it - I mean, himself.

Just posts for the sake of sounding smug. Ignore him.
post #22 of 29
You know what I think Jobs should have been awarded while he was still alive? The Nobel Prize for Economics. For creating the greatest sustainable economic value compared to any other corporate CEO during the past few decades (I am guessing for all time, although I cannot be sure).
post #23 of 29
Congrats Steve!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The Zither etc etc guy is just full of it - I mean, himself.

Just posts for the sake of sounding smug. Ignore him.

Zither? You mean "cough" Conrad "cough" Joe...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Apple came up with the iPod, but was by no means the first MP3 player. What they did was make it smaller and better than what was already on the market.

More than that, Apple made it sexy to buy and enjoy music.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You know what I think Jobs should have been awarded while he was still alive? The Nobel Prize for Economics. For creating the greatest sustainable economic value compared to any other corporate CEO during the past few decades (I am guessing for all time, although I cannot be sure).

I am sure that Mr Jobs would have gladly used the monetary prize for rebuilding the glass cube in NYC with even larger glass panes, or some other equally worthy goal. However, as it turns out, the The Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences is usually given for contributions to economic sciences, not for making a pile of money, as admirable a feat as that may be. It's a noble thought though, so maybe one day when you become a part of the Nobel committee you could try to tweak the rules so that future entrepreneurs could take advantage.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

More than that, Apple made it sexy to buy and enjoy music.

Thank you for noticing.

When other people look at me they see a disheveled old man but when I've got my iPod plugged in, I feel sexy!
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #28 of 29

Academy says it awarded this Grammy because Steve ...

"made significant contributions ... to the field of recording"

Hell, could be argued he "Saved Their A$$"

And with all due respect to Eddy Cue's ...

"why Apple would make iPod ... because they loved music (etc)"

Well, maybe sorta ...

Steve said it best at Keynote Intro in 2001, with his smirky grin

"Music is low hanging fruit"

post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Could somebody take that knife off Realistic?

That's the second vicious post I've seen in as many days.

He seems...aggravated.

(I'm just kiddin' with you, Realistic. Don't stab me!)

Don't worry, virtual knives don't stab.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs wins posthumous Grammy, accepted by Apple iTunes chief Eddy Cue