or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Three alleged 'iPad 3' parts assembled, including possible Retina Display

Three alleged 'iPad 3' parts assembled, including possible Retina Display

post #1 of 39
Three parts claimed to be from Apple's forthcoming third-generation iPad have been assembled to confirm that they do, in fact, properly connect to one another.

An LCD panel from Sharp, a back plate with an Apple logo, and a 30-pin dock connector all claimed to be from Apple's so-called "iPad 3" were obtained by iLab Factory. When all three were placed together, the site found that they were a match, suggesting the components are from a prototype build of the next iPad.

The site noted that the backplate of the iPad 3 is slightly thicker, at just more than a millimeter. But aside from that, it is the same size, allowing it to fit a 9.7-inch display just like iPad 2.

The rear panel also has a different screw alignment, as was previously spotted in another component. Those screws line up perfectly with the Sharp LCD display obtained by the site, one that could be the new high-resolution Retina Display expected to be featured on the next iPad.

For the final piece of the puzzle, the new dock connector believed to be for the next iPad was placed onto the back panel, and the site found that the part connected just right with the screw holes on the back panel.

Finally, the site also noted that the iPad 3 rear casing has a different hole for a camera from the current iPad 2 rear panel. The size of the two holes is said to be about the same, but on the alleged iPad prototype part, the camera mount is different on the back side.

The components support previous rumors that have suggested that the next iPad will feature an external design largely similar to the currently available iPad 2. A recent report suggested the defining feature of the next iPad will be a "truly amazing" screen.

The Sharp panel featured among the assembled components was already pictured in a separate story last week. It was said to be a QXGA 9.7-inch display with three flat cables that connect to the base of the LCD.

The screen is believed to feature a high-resolution 2,048-by-1,536 display, resulting in a pixel density of about 260-pixels-per-inch. The current iPad 2 and first-generation iPad have a resolution of 1,024-by-768 pixels, which amounts to a density of 132 pixels-per-inch.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 39
WIth this huge increase in resolution, can we finally have a makeover of the core iOS UI? It just seems like the grid of icons is wasted on such high resolution displays. This isn't 2007 anymore.

The pull-down notification system was a nice step in the right direction, but I'd also like a more interactive lock screen with weather/customizable widgets, etc. Some of things that Android does like live news feeds and email feeds directly on the homescreen would be a nice touch.
post #3 of 39
Of course the backplate isn't going to change dramatically. The design of the iPad is defined by its usage as a "pad".
post #4 of 39
I'm a lot more inclined to believe it possible that the ipad 3 will have the higher resolution screen if it is the Sharp IGZO technology being used. The reason is that I don't believe for a second that Apple would be willing to sacrifice weight, battery life, etc. in order to deliver the higher resolution.

At one point the rumour was that Apple was considering both the IGZO and conventional technology using an additional backlight. Ludicrous. The two technologies would have required rather different internal designs and there is no way that Apple would have allowed this process to force them to be designing two iPads at the same time.

The next iPad has to be lighter than the iPad 2 and preferably with even better battery life. This is how it would have been if Steve Jobs were still alive. He never would have signed off on an iPad 3 that represented a downgrade in terms of weight and battery life. Jobs would have insisted that upping the screen resolution would wait until Apple could get it right and I have no reason to imagine that the current management team would do it any other way.

One more thing. While I could easily imagine that Apple might just continue selling the iPad 2 for a while at a discounted price, something like $399, I don't think there is an appetite for moving off of the price point of the current design. In other words, the higher-resolution screen only makes it into the iPad if Apple can deliver that screen for a starting price of around $500. That's the sweet spot in terms of pricing and one of the keys to the iPad's amazing success.

The iPad will slot into the $500-$800 price range and the higher pricing will be for the laptops.
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

WIth this huge increase in resolution, can we finally have a makeover of the core iOS UI? It just seems like the grid of icons is wasted on such high resolution displays. This isn't 2007 anymore.

The pull-down notification system was a nice step in the right direction, but I'd also like a more interactive lock screen with weather/customizable widgets, etc. Some of things that Android does like live news feeds and email feeds directly on the homescreen would be a nice touch.

I agree.

I'd like to see (eventually) Siri voice integration not only for the core iOS apps, but also the added functionality of finding, and then launching, third-party apps.

I find myself endlessly swiping through homescreen pages and the plethora of app badges only to give up.... and then Spotlight searching.

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Of course the backplate isn't going to change dramatically. The design of the iPad is defined by its usage as a "pad".

I had hoped the next cellular iPad would feature an antenna behind the Apple logo so that the existing antenna stripe could be removed.
post #7 of 39
Quote:

iOS 6
post #8 of 39
Quote:

Some of things that Android does like live news feeds and email feeds directly on the homescreen would be a nice touch.

new emails you can already see on lock screen if you activate it in the notifications in iOS 5 but you can't see the whole email-box at the home-screen which i feel is better… but i would like the news feeds on the home-screen for sure…

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For the final piece of the puzzle, the new dock connector believed to be for the next iPad was placed onto the back panel, and the site found that the part connected just right with the screw holes on the back panel.

New dock connector? All new accessories? This could get expensive.

How is the dock connector new? What are the differences?
post #10 of 39
4 different resolutions (3GS, 4/4S, iPad/iPad 3)? Sounds like fragmentation to me......<ducks>
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

The next iPad has to be lighter than the iPad 2 and preferably with even better battery life. This is how it would have been if Steve Jobs were still alive. He never would have signed off on an iPad 3 that represented a downgrade in terms of weight and battery life.

The iPhone 4 was slightly heavier than the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4S is slightly heavier than the iPhone 4 with worse battery life.
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

4 different resolutions (3GS, 4/4S, iPad/iPad 3)? Sounds like fragmentation to me......<ducks>

It would be a second resolution, not a third resolution. Quadrupling would also make scaling easy, the same as it was on the iPhone.
post #13 of 39
Quote:

I agree with you on that but I know Apple is always trying to make it simple for regular folks but they should at least give the option to do it for us more tech savy people.. I always wanted the funtion of resizing my App icons to make them bigger...
post #14 of 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

I agree.

I'd like to see (eventually) Siri voice integration not only for the core iOS apps, but also the added functionality of finding, and then launching, third-party apps.

I find myself endlessly swiping through homescreen pages and the plethora of app badges only to give up.... and then Spotlight searching.

I don't see the need or desire on Apple's part to change the interface. They just introduced this exact look to Mac OS X. They are not going to go and change it again. It is the simplest way to present it. Some of the visual representations some of the Android UIs do is just hiding that it is doing the same thing as iOS. One continuous scroll, with or without "seeing" them scroll into the main area (a la Star Wars Crawl, etc)? Just a different way of presenting the same exact information.
post #15 of 39
Quote:

The iPhone 4 was slightly heavier than the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4S is slightly heavier than the iPhone 4 with worse battery life.

Different situation in that weight is so low on the phone, even within the variations that you note, that it's simply not a factor. As for battery life, we're talking insignificant differences between the 4 and the 4S. In some categories, the 4S has better battery life than the 4. I mean a 10th of an ounce is such a miniscule amount that I doubt any mere mortal would notice.

The iPad is a different matter because the iPad 1 was too heavy for a tablet, the iPad 2 is better but still too heavy. There needs to be a further weight reduction in order for the iPad to be where it should be for extended use. To revert from let's say the weight of the iPad 2 to that of the iPad 1, really, would feel like a regression. If we're talking immaterial weight differences, like those involved in comparing the 4S and 4, well, that's another matter. That sort of variation in weight has no impact on the user experience. Not so with a device like the iPad, unless the weight difference is exceedingly small.

If Apple had had to resort to using current LCD tech with two backlights rather than just one, the additional weight of the second backlight and that of a heavier battery to compensate for the additional power drain, are not design compromises that I see Apple embracing.

Could be wrong, but it does seem to me that this is not a route Apple would likely take.
post #16 of 39
these upgrades that Apple makes are always a joke IMHO.
as long as they continue to support the iPhone 3Gs and the original iPad, none of this stuff matters.
higher resolution and faster CPU.....big whoop. the developers still can't make use of the technology unless they are willing to shut out the majority of the market.
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

as long as they continue to support the iPhone 3Gs and the original iPad, none of this stuff matters.

The 3GS is their WORST-selling phone. It sells single digits of the iPhone market. And it STILL sells better than ANY device made by ANYONE else. It'll be killed off this year. So, what, Apple is dead after that? :roll eyes:

Quote:
higher resolution and faster CPU.....big whoop. the developers still can't make use of the technology unless they are willing to shut out the majority of the market.

What the heck does this mean? More 'walled garden is a failure' crap?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #18 of 39
Quote:

No. Unless you want Apple to query the UI first and then load a completely unique UI for the iPad 3 instead of the ubiquitous UI across the iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 3.x, iPhone 4.x; and if that is the case I say again, No.

It's a waste of time and resources when there is much more Apple can focus on getting right before making a few people happy the grid has changed.

You're never going to get a customizable UI to fit your tinkering desires. Go use Android.
post #19 of 39
Quote:

these upgrades that Apple makes are always a joke IMHO.

Wake up. The majority of the market where developers actually make money is iOS. They will most certainly be using the strengths of the CPU cores and GPU cores in iPad 3.
post #20 of 39
Somehow I can't get rid of the feeling that the upcoming version will be called iPad 2s, rather than iPad 3. I believe that the upgrade will be similar to the iPhone 4s over the iPhone 4, and not as earth shattering as some might hope.
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Three parts claimed to be from Apple's forthcoming third-generation iPad have been assembled to confirm that they do, in fact, properly connect to one another.

I, for one, am happy that a third party is double-checking that all the pieces are from the same product. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten an iPad with an iPhone screen...
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I'm a lot more inclined to believe it possible that the ipad 3 will have the higher resolution screen if it is the Sharp IGZO technology being used. The reason is that I don't believe for a second that Apple would be willing to sacrifice weight, battery life, etc. in order to deliver the higher resolution.

At one point the rumour was that Apple was considering both the IGZO and conventional technology using an additional backlight. Ludicrous. The two technologies would have required rather different internal designs and there is no way that Apple would have allowed this process to force them to be designing two iPads at the same time.

The rumor mill in Korea says people are working overtime at LG's South Korean flat panel factory to deliver LCD panels for the new iPad.
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is there something wrong with you? I mean other than the fact that you've never made a single post where you've said anything good about Apple, that is.

The 3GS is their WORST-selling phone. It sells single digits of the iPhone market. And it STILL sells better than ANY device made by ANYONE else. It'll be killed off this year. So, what, Apple is dead after that? :roll eyes:

The heck does this mean? More 'walled garden is a failure' crap?

Feisty moderator.
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Feisty moderator.

Insult-flinging moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil
Is there something wrong with you?
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

The rumor mill in Korea says people are working overtime at LG's South Korean flat panel factory to deliver LCD panels for the new iPad.

The rumor (rumour) mill in Korea has been rather active, claiming a lot of contradictory stuff. Fact is, I would imagine that given an option, Apple would much rather have Sharp for a business partner than Samsung or LG in that Sharp is not in the business of producing products that compete directly with Apple. Even if Apple starts offering a big-screen TV, chances are Sharp is going to be supplying Apple with panels for that device.

I'm not saying that I have inside information but it does seem to me that it will require a more efficient technology like IGZO to make a high-resolution screen viable for a tablet in the size range of the iPad. If Apple could have brought to market a high-resolution iPad using the technology available when the iPad 2 came to market, the iPad 2 would have had such a screen.

Apple has always been about bringing to market product when the technology is available to offer a fully realized device. Rushing products to market is what the others specialize in and look where it has gotten them.
post #26 of 39
Quote:

The 4S is slightly heavier with vastly improved battery life.

I get 3 days of use with my 4S instead of the daily charging the 4 required.

This is running 3 exchange accounts all using Push, 1 iCloud account with push. I also clock up 20 hours of outbound calls per month.

When I first got the 4S the battery would die within a day and after the faulty unit (which also kept losing the signal) was replaced I tweaked the location settings and reduced the exchange accounts to only sync 1 week of mail and boom, battery life sorted. 5.1 will extend this even more for me as I will be able to disable 3G too.
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If, as the article says it's "1mmm thicker" then the iPad will be about 20% heavier overall.

I'm betting that this is just the typical lack of facility with the English language shown by bloggers and that what they actually mean is that it has 1mm greater depth instead.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If, as the article says it's "1mmm thicker" then the iPad will be about 20% heavier overall.

I'm betting that this is just the typical lack of facility with the English language shown by bloggers and that what they actually mean is that it has 1mm greater depth instead.

When dealing with an object the size of the iPad, what exactly is the difference between thickness and depth?

What sort of track record do you have when posting about the meanings of words?
post #29 of 39
Interesting to see that the camera lens on the "iP3" back has a bezel with a metal ring that looks exactly like the one on iPhone 4S. Maybe the 1mm extra depth in the back cover is to allow room for the 4S five-lens camera, as well as more battery and/or backlight. The new screen will make good use of such a camera. It will be an amazing thing to see your photographs and videos displayed on that screen, just like it is amazing on the iPhone 4s Retina display.

Any extra weight from the improvements will pale in significance when we see what high definition really looks like.

And Zither, would you check your FUD portfolio this morning? The change in the 30-pin connector they are referring to is the right angle bend in the internal ribbon plug.

Open your eyes and look at the nice pictures.
post #30 of 39
Quote:

That would be copying Android. Surely that would hurt the ego of Apple fans.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #31 of 39
Quote:

Is there something wrong with you? I mean other than the fact that you've never made a single post where you've said anything good about Apple, that is.

and you sir have never accepted ANY criticism aimed at Apple without showing your true colors.
Quote:

I do not believe I said anything about Apples death??

Quote:

The heck does this mean? More 'walled garden is a failure' crap?

No, it simply means developers often complain about having to support Apples old technology. Something that you apparently are not aware of.
post #32 of 39
Quote:

…your true colors.

Silver, black, and white. Also, sure I haven't.

Quote:
I do not believe I said anything about Apples death??

Never said you did. Was trying to parse your logic in your post.

Quote:
No, it simply means developers often complain about having to support Apples old technology. Something that you apparently are not aware of.

And now I know your ACTUAL angle; thanks for clarifying. To which my response is:

Heaven forbid developers have to make software for the hardware that people actually own.

Oh, but also, they don't. Plenty of apps don't work on iPhones pre-4. Plenty of apps don't even work on the 4. Just like there will be apps that don't work on the iPad or iPad 2. So your entire point is completely moot.

post #33 of 39
All these folks with leaked iPad3 parts should all get together and just build one!
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

And Zither, would you check your FUD portfolio this morning? The change in the 30-pin connector they are referring to is the right angle bend in the internal ribbon plug.

Open your eyes and look at the nice pictures.

No need to be so rude. I find myself wondering the same thing. New dock connector? If the position has moved, it means it won't work with my dock, thus increasing the price of upgrading.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Computer applications have long since adapted to various hardware configurations, there is no reason mobile software could not do the same. Computer games support various aspect ratios, resolutions, and hardware configurations by toggling their graphical settings. Low-end systems use low resolution textures, circular shadows, etc. while high-end receive realistic shadow and lighting effects.
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

No need to be so rude. I find myself wondering the same thing. New dock connector? If the position has moved, it means it won't work with my dock, thus increasing the price of upgrading.

Zither is so eager to stir up doubt about Apple's competence and regard for their customers, that he doesn't see that there are two ends to the connector assembly. He's talking about the wrong end, and so are you.

But you are exempt from my "rudeness," because you are probably a sincere poster, whereas he is a veteran dissembler around here.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Zither is so eager to stir up doubt about Apple's competence and regard for their customers, that he doesn't see that there are two ends to the connector assembly. He's talking about the wrong end, and so are you.

The wrong end? Can you explain? Which end is there, other than the end that goes into the iPad? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. I'm hoping the iPad 3 will work with my iPad 2 dock (and smart cover, though it's sounding like it will work with smart covers).

I'm very excited about the iPad 3. A retina display (or something close to it) will be absolutely amazing on a screen that large. The iPad is such an interesting device, really. I thought it was a gimmick until I finally decided to buy one. Then I quickly realized why so many people are replacing their laptops with iPads. My main system is a Mac Mini. I have a laptop too, but I haven't touched it since buying an iPad.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

The wrong end? Can you explain? Which end is there, other than the end that goes into the iPad? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. I'm hoping the iPad 3 will work with my iPad 2 dock (and smart cover, though it's sounding like it will work with smart covers).

I'm very excited about the iPad 3. A retina display (or something close to it) will be absolutely amazing on a screen that large. The iPad is such an interesting device, really. I thought it was a gimmick until I finally decided to buy one. Then I quickly realized why so many people are replacing their laptops with iPads. My main system is a Mac Mini. I have a laptop too, but I haven't touched it since buying an iPad.

Sorry you got caught up in Zlither's net, and in my exasperation with his games. The pictures of the old and new 30-pin connectors are here, halfway down the page:

http://ilab.cc/staff_blog/5559.html

The part of the connector that goes to the outside of the iPad remains the same and in the same position, centered at the bottom, where it has to be for docks, for balance and access. The changed part is at the other end, where it bends 90 degrees to connect to its board at a place or angle different from the iPad 2 arrangement.

These are old pictures from weeks ago, and since Zlither spends his day pretty much full-time on this site, he should have remembered them, or at least checked the link in today's story before he tried to get people worked up about Apple abandoning their legacy 30-pin ecosystem. Shameless careless, venal, incompetent, corrupt -- in the best tradition of American obstruction of progress. Tone deaf to hardware as well.

You, on the other hand, exhibit the best kind of Apple appreciation, IMO-- enlightenment through experience. I also was surprised by how the iPad took over a huge chunk of my life. No wonder Steve thought it was the best thing he ever did . . . .
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Somehow I can't get rid of the feeling that the upcoming version will be called iPad 2s, rather than iPad 3. I believe that the upgrade will be similar to the iPhone 4s over the iPhone 4, and not as earth shattering as some might hope.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Three alleged 'iPad 3' parts assembled, including possible Retina Display
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Three alleged 'iPad 3' parts assembled, including possible Retina Display