or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › British network allegedly warns Apple again not to use 'iTV' name [u]

British network allegedly warns Apple again not to use 'iTV' name [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 128
just use 'iVision' instead.
post #42 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

How can some little pipsqueak local company prevent the worldwide use of a known brand name by a multinational company like Apple?

How can that be fair?

So to you, "fair" would be a large multinational corporation just stealing the name from a tv station that they have been using for more than half a century?
post #43 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

Well Apple does have a track record of disregarding trademarks and dealing with the monetary consequences later. A bit of a bully. They didn't really show much respect for Apple records. Who thinks of them now when you hear "Apple"? Sitting on top the biggest pile of cash does give one a sense of power.

Given that the timeline and disputes adjudicated and the results of said adjudication are all freely accessible, there is no evidence of bullying, and in fact the final resolution was for Apple Corps to transfer all rights to Apple, Inc., and license the use of those back from Apple, Inc, for an undisclosed amount of money. In doing so (following the settlement of the EMI suit) both Apple Corps and the Beatles' existing and legacy estates gained substantial monetary gain by the digital reissuance of the Beatles' catalog on iTunes, resulting in more than 1.4 million songs and over 119,000 albums sold in the U.S. iTunes store in the first week alone.

I would LOVE if Apple came and bullied me like that! Maybe I need to start up a Company as a tax shelter that would be of interest to Apple, and negotiate some of that bullying!
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
post #44 of 128
Quote:

How can some little pipsqueak local company prevent the worldwide use of a known brand name by a multinational company like Apple?

How can that be fair?

This is ridiculous. Apple hasn't even announced a product, much less a name, and people are already up in arms over the fact that someone else uses the name that Apple might or might not use if the ever do release a rumored product?

I'd suggest joining the real world rather than letting your fantasy world get the best of you.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #45 of 128
So call it iTV everywhere except GB, which is the only place anyone has ever heard of ITV.
post #46 of 128
Why involve the term "TV" at all? I would hope that anything Apple would come up with in this space would be different enough from what's gone before that "TV" might no longer be a relevant term.

For example, it's "iPad" not "iPC" or even "iMac".
post #47 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

So to you, "fair" would be a large multinational corporation just stealing the name from a tv station that they have been using for more than half a century?

To the whole world, iTV would mean an Apple product. IMO, Apple should own the "i" prefix. It has always meant "Apple". Back when everybody was using "e", Apple innovated to use "i".
post #48 of 128
IF it must be labeled anything then call it...

STD...

Siri-ous
Television
Domination

Tag Line: “It won’t ‘infect’ you but it will ‘Affect’ you!”

OR

STFU...

Siri-ous
Television
For
U

Tag Line: “All other TVs will be left speechless!”

But why does a television set have to be "named" anyway?

Just put the appropriately sized "Apple" logo front and center and be done with it like the other TV manufacturers have done. When browsing the TV aisle at my local store I see 'Sharp', 'RCA', 'Samsung', 'LG', 'VIZIO' etc. so why not 'Apple' or the Apple logo and let the branding speak for itself.

iTV sound "meh" anyway... and no love lost if it were not called iTV. I don't see other TV's naming their product other than who its from and nothing is wrong with Apple doing the same.

Save your money Apple, you don't need to buy ITV so you can call your TV the iTV. Just call your TV "Apple".
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #49 of 128
I think this name issue comes from casual corporate management attitude: "I name it because i like this name".

I have seen this too many times. That fact is: no you do not name it the way you like it, but you name it: a) so it makes sense to everybody and it is easy to sell; b) the name is free from legal obligations.

There are things that corporate management does not seem to get.
post #50 of 128
The market value of itv is about $3.7b

I think iView would be more likely than a silly bun fight with itv they couldn't win, so probably wouldn't start in the first place.
post #51 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Why involve the term "TV" at all? I would hope that anything Apple would come up with in this space would be different enough from what's gone before that "TV" might no longer be a relevant term.

For example, it's "iPad" not "iPC" or even "iMac".

That mirrors my thoughts on the matter. TV should go the way of the Wireless !
post #52 of 128
Quote:

How can that be fair?

BTW itv own the itv.com domain. Not saying the TV station cant change is name but it had it first so Apple will need to pay to get it. They just said they dont want to change it may be a message to Apple to get ready to pay a truck load of cash if they want it.
post #53 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I think iView would be more likely than a silly bun fight with itv they couldn't win, so probably wouldn't start in the first place.

The reality is though, I bet ITV are secretly hoping Apple DOES want their name. If Apple really wanted it, ITV could make an easy fortune I'm sure.

I would say the iVision/iView route is more likely though.
post #54 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrnight View Post

found to be false..

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/13/27...-apple-warning

It sounded dubious that a real company would be responding to just rumor blogs by going directly to Apple. IF they approached Apple, I'd think it'd be a response to an Apple Inquiry. Apple reached agreement with Cisco on iOS vs the IOS trademark that applied only to software on networking gear.
post #55 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

I think this name issue comes from casual corporate management attitude: "I name it because i like this name".

I have seen this too many times. That fact is: no you do not name it the way you like it, but you name it: a) so it makes sense to everybody and it is easy to sell; b) the name is free from legal obligations.

There are things that corporate management does not seem to get.

Is that the same "casual corporate management" that generated $100B cash and one of the world's most valuable companies?
post #56 of 128
i love animals so pls excuse the expression. "there are lots of ways to skin a cat"

iTEEVEE
post #57 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkroeger View Post

In the first week of an Apple iTV, more people in the world would know the name than all those "decades" have produced. If ITV were smart, they would license the name to Apple and reap the huge rewards of search engines sending people to their web site. As for sales, who is going to confuse a consumer product with a television network?

Like the fools that mistook a record label for a computer company.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #58 of 128
Apple is not stupid enough to try to use the name even before the 2010 "don't you bloody dare" messages. Nothing has changed since then. Which is why Apple hasn't bothered trying to talk to iTV. There's nothing to talk about since they aren't going to use that name just like they didn't before. And probably were never thinking about it.
post #59 of 128
No problem. Apple will be changing television. Call it something else all together.

'TV' is so 20th Century.
post #60 of 128
Quote:

How can that be fair?

As far as I know the UK station is the only known use of the ITV brand name (other than bloggers). Who else is it you are suggesting is a "known" user of that brand name other than them? (If you answer Apple, can you please point us to evidence of it's use by Apple?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

One would think that the Telegraph would have learned by now that building vaporous rumorware doesn't work well, and that rehashing an old issue in order to drive new interest is a crap-shoot at best, and makes you look extremely silly.

What the Telegraph has learned is that if they put useless crap about some made-up Apple-related controversy on their web site, then a lot of Apple and tech blogs will link to their story and their ad revenue will go up from all the people clicking on those links.
post #61 of 128
Quote:

How can that be fair?

I do hope that that is meant to be sarcastic. Because iTV is not a little local company and IP laws shouldn't give automatic preference to the big boys. in fact I would say that the existence of "big boys" is exactly why such laws are needed. It keeps them from bullying their way around doing what they want because they want it.
post #62 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by iConrail View Post

Of course, I agree fully. ITV clearly need to just accept the new reality of the situation and begin the process of finding a new name.

By the way I've just registered iConrail. I'd appreciate it if you would stop using your account and register a new name now, thanks.

Haha, zing!

I hope you got he was being sarcastic, right?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #63 of 128
Quote:

Some China cities order halt of iPad sales
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8DD3AX20120213

Apple's iPad Trademark Case In China Is Getting Even Uglier
http://www.businessinsider.com/down-...ampaign=recirc

Chinese City Confiscates iPads As Trademark Fight Continues
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...ght-continues/

Do you event read the articles or just the headlines?? (besides being gloriously off-topic??)

In the Reuters article:
Quote:
Reuters could not independently confirm the reports and Chinese officials and Apple in China were not immediately available for comment

Josh' blog is a bit better, but that's beside the point - right? All the speculation is just that in terms of impact. Whether this is an actual impact or Proview trying to get some advantage in negotiating it's position on the iPad moniker.

And "Business Insider" home of the incredible Henry Blodget, and sponsor of the China Hearsay blog by Stan Abrams. The fact that Stan can't seem to wrap his head around why a handful of iPads were pulled from some resellers in a smaller city, when the BAIC could have stepped in and hit the Apple Retail Store in Beijing speaks volumes to the academic nature of his background, not to mention essentially "Laowai/Gweilo" in terms of the culture. He apparently is not a business insider in Beijing, or else he would have been able to predict the nature of the response and why Proview went with smaller hits. And why BAIC is reluctant to step into this mess.

I am not disputing the facts on the ground in this case only the speculation that this is somehow "big news". It ain't. The Beijing Store being hit by the BAIC would be big news, not this. How about getting back on topic now??
post #64 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I personally prefer Apple TV as oppose to iTV. I think the former is a much nicer name!

I think if they were going to change the name to anything it would be iTunesTV but that's a mouthful so they will likely stay with Apple TV.
post #65 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I bet ITV execs wouldn't be so "furious" if Apple offered them $100 million to share the trademark.

I don't see Apple offering them that much, but I do hope they offer them something because iTV is clearly the only just name to give such a product.
post #66 of 128
Quote:

It is happening today. Reuters reported it 3 hours ago. Why do you call that "old"?

And so what if it is. ThreadJacking much aren't we.
post #67 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

They'll just buy the name like they did with Cisco. Many people don't know this, but the iPhone name actually belonged to Linksys. Cisco purchased Linksys and Apple paid an undisclosed amount of money to Cisco to buy the name. They even announced the iPhone name before the deal was closed. Having more money than any company in the world allows you to do that!

You might want to do some more research because you left out a huge hunk of info. Like the fact that Cisco had abandoned the mark the for several months and was literally days away from losing it completely when they tried to reclaim it because Apple wanted it. And the courts saw their action for what it was and said they would have to share with Apple.

That kind of mark abandonment hasn't happened with iTV. It is owned and being used actively and has been for years. So the two are in fact not at all similar.
post #68 of 128
Hmm. I don't seem to recall Apple releasing a product called "iTV", much less announcing a product with that monicker. In fact, the only similar product is called "AppleTV".

So why all the hubbub?

Did I miss the memo where we're now utilizing the services of precogs ala Minority Report? Did a wooden ball come rolling down that says "iTV"?
post #69 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't see Apple offering them that much, but I do hope they offer them something because iTV is clearly the only just name to give such a product.

I expect ITV would do a deal, but the amount would be starting at $2b for the name (that's assuming ITV is worth under $5b as an entity) because it is a 56 year old brand that broadcasts to over 60 million people - and possibly more in the future if they have internet distribution plans beyond national itv player software on various systems. There is always a price, it's just whether anyone would pay that price.
post #70 of 128
Prediction:

It's called Apple Cinema TV

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.8
White iPad (3G) with Wi-Fi | 16GB | Engraved | Blue Polyurethane Smart Cover
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #71 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

The simple and obvious solution is for ITV to change it's name.

I'm not sure how many people on this planet would confuse a physical TV sold world wide by the largest company on earth with a tv station in a small island off the coast of Europe?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #72 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Prediction:

It occurs to me it could be AppleTV and Apple change the current AppleTV to AirportTV.
post #73 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It occurs to me it could be AppleTV and Apple change the current AppleTV to AirportTV.

Why? The Airport and the Apple TV are in no way similar devices and don't even perform similar functions.
post #74 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Why? The Airport and the Apple TV are in no way similar devices and don't even perform similar functions.

I didn't say they did, I was simply suggesting Apple already have a great name for their new TV but it is in use by themselves and this could be solved by renaming the Apple TV. Sorry I thought what I said was self explanatory.
post #75 of 128
iDisplay
iPortal
iTheater
iCinema
iHub
iCanSeeYou

...oh wait, the last one is the name of Google's soon-to-be-announced competing offering, complete with a new "privacy" statement
post #76 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I expect ITV would do a deal, but the amount would be starting at $2b for the name (that's assuming ITV is worth under $5b as an entity) because it is a 56 year old brand that broadcasts to over 60 million people - and possibly more in the future if they have internet distribution plans beyond national itv player software on various systems. There is always a price, it's just whether anyone would pay that price.

Yeah, they have a market cap of slightly under £5B, but a more important figure is their cash, which is likely around £150M. If Apple offered them 50+M they'd be stupid not to accept it. After all this a physical product, not a channel. Apple should just name it iTV and then challenge them in court. They don't make hardware after all.
post #77 of 128
Quote:

Prediction:

Prediction:

Haha.
post #78 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

$4.9B actually.
post #79 of 128
Quote:

Prediction:

Nice call. That sounds like a fantastic name IMO.
post #80 of 128
[QUOTE=AppleInsider;2044330]As rumors of an Apple television set continue to swirl, Britain's ITV network has reportedly warned Apple that its name is off-limits [updated].

Apple anticipated television has been called the "iTV" by some pundits, following the same branding as Apple's other popular products like the iPhone and iPad. The rumors and speculation have apparently been enough,

Sorry, iTV but unless and until Apple calls their produce/service iTV you don't have reason to complain. So far it's rumor and speculation, and you can't file suit and/or claim damages based on that alone. Anticipatory litigation for what you 'think' will happen isn't possible.

Another non-news article of minimal value. Time to move on...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › British network allegedly warns Apple again not to use 'iTV' name [u]