or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reportedly squeezing supplier to stop building MacBook Air clones from Asus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reportedly squeezing supplier to stop building MacBook Air clones from Asus - Page 4

post #121 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It already runs on ARM.



Our ability to not be completely mired in anti-Apple nonsense.



Not as a viable retail product, no. But as an ever-present threat to Intel if they let their release schedule or performance increases fall to IBM's standard? Of course.



How do you know it has failed when Windows 8 isn't even out yet?

define 'run' and show me where os x is running on ARM? i ain't talking about Darwin or IOS.

2014 before any 64bit ARM chips (probably at best)
any porting of a full blown os like 7/8 or os x would be only for 'neato' factor. even if it was done and available now the performance would soon have you not using the device. Can anyone say 'Atom'??
post #122 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

define 'run' and show me where os x is running on ARM? i ain't talking about Darwin or IOS.

2014 before any 64bit ARM chips (probably at best)
any porting of a full blown os like 7/8 or os x would be only for 'neato' factor. even if it was done and available now the performance would soon have you not using the device. Can anyone say 'Atom'??

Darwin isn't OS X but Mac OS X and iOS are both OS X. See that banner in the back right from Apple's own event.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #123 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Israel is technically a Parliamentary democracy. You might be one of those misguided leftists who hate Israel for whatever reason, but that doesn't change what they are.

Don't try to pigeon-hole me into left and right, as you always try to do to everyone to dismiss them. Again, this isn't the place for it, but Israel is not a democracy, no matter how much they keep parroting the phrase 'greatest/only democracy in the Middle-East' along with their US based apologists and Lobby groups. Israel can call itself whatever it wants, but democracy has certain requirements, and it is missing many, many ingredients to fulfil that requirement, in terms of how most human being define democracy here on planet earth. Again, you don't strike me as an open-minded or objective enough individual to honestly look into the situation to re-evaluate your views, so I don't expect you to. Suffice to say you parroting that Israel is a vibrant democracy is akin to those parroting about how Apple abuses Chinese workers (who you decry)- it's shallow mainstream media blabber whose truth is utterly superficial for anyone who has cared enough to do some research.
post #124 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Darwin isn't OS X but Mac OS X and iOS are both OS X. See that banner in the back right from Apple's own event.


if that is so then why can't i run apps written for os x on the ipad? and vice versa?
you can't. os x is not ios. they are related no doubt about that but one does not = the other
post #125 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

It took me more than a few seconds to see the three chilling letters that must have caused Intel executives to lose sleep that night. That is hilarious.

Intel? lose SLEEP over that? Stop it.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #126 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

define 'run'

"Operate as it would on a standard desktop", I imagine.

Quote:
and show me where os x is running on ARM?

An intern leaked that there's an internal build of OS X running on ARM.

"That's not proof!"

It is when OS X ran on both PowerPC and Intel chips from version 10.0a to 10.5.8.

We know that Apple has a contingency. We know that the only other architecture out there is ARM.

Unless Apple has their own quantum fab center. Which, given their money, is truly not nonsensically outlandish.

Quote:
2014 before any 64bit ARM chips (probably at best)

That sounds quite realistic.

Quote:
even if it was done and available now the performance would soon have you not using the device. Can anyone say 'Atom'??

Right; exactly. Even the best ARM*chip really isn't powerful enough right now for all of OS X, and the architecture itself currently lacks many features that X86 affords and with which we really couldn't do without.

But in the future? A future where Intel can't deliver on PPW or reasonable release dates? Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Intel? lose SLEEP over that? Stop it.

I know a guy at Intel. Chip fab division. He says they're genuinely concerned about ARM. It's sometimes a 'scramble around to make stuff better' level of concern.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #127 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

if that is so then why can't i run apps written for os x on the ipad? and vice versa?
you can't. os x is not ios. they are related no doubt about that but one does not = the other

You're asking why you can't run Mac OS apps on iOS. You really should know why. It's the same reason that iOS for iPad apps don't run on iOS for iPhone/Touch or iOS for AppleTV. For starters they have different UIs. One uses Aqua, two use CocoaTouch, and one uses BackRow.

You never wondered by an almost standard build of Tiger wouldn't let you access Finder or run all your apps on the original AppleTV? You just assumed it was something other than their Mac OS foundation? Perhaps you thought it was Linux because most of their iPods use Linux. Do you not wonder why Android apps won't automatically run on Ubuntu or the iPod Classic?

Are you going to now claim I photoshopped these images, went back in time 5 years and put them online just to prove a point? Not that I wouldn't do that but if I had a time machine I would go back in time to invest in companies.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #128 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

iOS for AppleTV uses BackRow.

What? Is that what they call it? I thought it was LowTide

And here I went sending Tim Cook an e-mail using "LowTide" and "HighTide" as UI differentiators

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #129 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I know a guy at Intel. Chip fab division. He says they're genuinely concerned about ARM. It's sometimes a 'scramble around to make stuff better' level of concern.

Don't misconstrue my point. Intel is concerned about ARM but not because of some stunt supposedly pulled by Apple about one line of PCs, they are still small in Intel's big picture. Intel is primarily concerned about never cracking the booming smartphone and embedded devices market and Windows making the big leap to ARM this year.

Intel does have an ARM license though. Be funny if at some point they use it.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #130 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Don't misconstrue my point. Intel is concerned about ARM but not because of some stunt supposedly pulled by Apple about one line of PCs

That that was a joke. Guess I should have put a wink or something by it.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #131 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What? Is that what they call it? I thought it was LowTide

And here I went sending Tim Cook an e-mail using "LowTide" and "HighTide" as UI differentiators

"Lowtide is the application running on the AppleTV. It is essentially a rewrite of the "BackRow" Application from the previous generation AppleTV to adopt the standards that Apple set for the iOS Platform. BackRow shares it's roots with the Mac "FrontRow" application, a system that provides the "ten-foot UI" that is expected from TV Set-top Boxes. This interface handles all user interaction, video playback, streaming, etc. It has been shown to run on other iOS hardware such as the iPod Touch."

I know it as BackRow but have no idea what Apple calls it internally. Since it's an appliance with no 3rd-party app support there are a lot of aspects that simply aren't well known.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #132 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conwaycf View Post

With better patent law and enforcement, we would have had flying cars by now. And force fields that repel rain.

Well...here are flying cars...
https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&s...&q=flying+cars
Sorry can't find anything on a force field to repel rain!

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #133 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oooohh..... this could serious attract antitrust scrutiny -- if true.

The have a MANUFACTURER making their product. They are basically BORROWING all the manufacturing processes that Apple perfected and giving the benefits of their R&D to a rival company.

Anti-Trust is about the marketplace.

Asus or anyone else is free to assemble at another plant.

>> The argument that Apple is too MUCH of the marketplace, is another story -- but the Tablet is too new a platform to bother implementing anti-trust. If it's a mature platform, and Apple is at 85% -- then remedies should be taken.

>> But your point misses the mark.
post #134 of 166
The design is Apple property. Obviously Apple didn't get so rich by letting people build Apple designed products and sell it under other brand names.
post #135 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Asus or anyone else is free to assemble at another plant.

.


How are they free to... other than they are in China and basiclally slavery, theft etc is legal there...
post #136 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

How are they free to... other than they are in China and basiclally slavery, theft etc is legal there...

I'm trying to think of a way your post could be more wrong it isn't coming to me

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #137 of 166
I have never seen so much whining on a forum other than of a losing sports team!!! Seriously Apple squeezing a supplier to stop making Asus Zenbooks? This is extremely pathetic by Apple as a whole. It seems like that any company who produces a silver notebook/ultrabook with black keys is copying!! Every other article is about Apple suing and pretty much losing now. Now I'm not a Apple hater and own a few of their products. But unlike many people on this site, I don't want to butt%#&* their products. And stop acting like Apple has never copied other companies patents. Apple should start putting efforts into updating that boring and played out iOS. Stop being a bunch of crybabies, it's just a product!!
post #138 of 166
Cool! Let's run down the checklist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeez17 View Post

I have never seen so much whining on a forum other than of a losing sports team!!!

Sports reference, so…

√ Apple can't compete on a level playing field.

Quote:
This is extremely pathetic by Apple as a whole.

Within the context, I believe this one applies:

√ Patents shouldn't be allowed. They interfere with competition.

Quote:
It seems like that any company who produces a silver notebook/ultrabook with black keys is copying!!

Right, so there's this one…

√ Apple is afraid of any real competition.

Quote:
Every other article is about Apple suing and pretty much losing now.

Haven't really been seeing those…

Quote:
Now I'm not a Apple hater and own a few of their products.

Ah, the obligatory "I own Apple products, so despite my obviously trollish comments, I can't be attacked because I said I own Apple products."

It's like calling BASE! in Tag…

Quote:
But unlike many people on this site, I don't want to butt%#&* their products.

Tough one, but I'm going to go with a modified version of…

√ Apple fanboys are too stupid to know Android is better.

Quote:
And stop acting like Apple has never copied other companies patents.

And moving right down the line…

√ Apple copied everything from Android, so how dare they sue?

Quote:
Apple should start putting efforts into updating that boring and played out iOS.

This just writes itself…

√ Apple needs to innovate not litigate.

Quote:
Stop being a bunch of crybabies, it's just a product!!

Come clean now. You saw the checklist in the other thread and decided to write a post that fit the bill for every single point, didn't you? That's a good one. You got me. Ha ha. Well played.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #139 of 166
LOL Nicely done TS.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #140 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What I don't get is why Apple isn't all up in Intel's business for creating the MBA clone reference models.

I think Intel only specified the minimum dimensions and specifications for an Ultrabook. It was Asus that took it upon themselves to create the MacBook Air clone.

I really don't like the Asus Ultrabooks. For me there is something of a technology "uncanny valley". The Asus Ultrabooks are obviously trying to clone a MacBook Air... but the don't quite make it. The end result is something that looks worse than if Asus came up with their own design, or at least attempted to put their own spin on it.

To me the best looking Ultrabook that came out of CES was one that doesn't even look like a MacBook Air, the Lenovo IdeaPad U310/U410.








I actually think Apple should flatten the next MacBook Pro to look more like an U410 rather than a MacBook Air.

Something like...
post #141 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I think Intel only specified the minimum dimensions and specifications for an Ultrabook. It was Asus that took it upon themselves to create the MacBook Air clone.

I really don't like the Asus Ultrabooks. For me there is something of a technology "uncanny valley". The Asus Ultrabooks are obviously trying to clone a MacBook Air... but the don't quite make it. The end result is something that looks worse than if Asus came up with their own design, or at least attempted to put their own spin on it.

To me the best looking Ultrabook that came out of CES was one that doesn't even look like a MacBook Air, the Lenovo IdeaPad U310/U410.

<images>

I actually think Apple should flatten the next MacBook Pro to look more like an U410 rather than a MacBook Air.

Something like...
<image>

I think those are ugly. The ports and the fan vents. It's really an ugly MBP clone. I'm surprised they are even Ultrabooks since they have the internal space to use more than a CULV Core-i5/i7.

I think the best looking and built (as in I watched videos of them being handled to gauge rigidity and display hinge) are the Samsung models.

I assume you've seen my predilections on the next MBP design so i won't repeat them all again. I will say that I am leaning toward the Ethernet port still remaining but not n the aesthetically unpleasing way with the Lenovo machines above. That's one reason I think that a tapered design is important. Keep that ethernet port in the back where it's still thick enough and then taper forward to reduce bulk and weight.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #142 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think those are ugly. The ports and the fan vents. It's really an ugly MBP clone. I'm surprised they are even Ultrabooks since they have the internal space to use more than a CULV Core-i5/i7.

I really like them! Years of being a tech guy must have conditioned me to seeing the beauty in an accessible Ethernet port

I think the wedge look is done. It's like fashion 101 that when everyone starts to copy it's time to change.
post #143 of 166
The ASUS Zenbook may resemble the MBA from the side where the USB and minidisplay ports are located (never mind that it's not even the same type of USB port). But when you look at the Zenbook from any other angle the resemblance disappears. The lid looks NOTHING like the lid on an MBA. Neither do the keyboard or the screen. I've never seen an MBA screen with a big "ASUS" logo on it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Zenbook doesn't run OS X.

So what are Apple's grounds for going after the Zenbook? Because it's thin? I doubt that Apple has a patent on thinness, but you can bet they'd patent that if they could.
post #144 of 166
-Apple can't compete on a level playing field.

No, it seems companies like Asus cannot play on a level playing field by being squeezed out from a supplier building Zenbooks. Only thing that's actually similar is they're silver and thin. Stop kidding yourself.

-Haven't really been seeing those

You should read a little more. How many products have they successfully blocked from ever seeing a retail store? The patents are easy to get around, just ask Samsung and Apple that. Not to mention it's tiring and isn't stopping anybody.

-Apple is afraid of any real competition.

Looks like they have very good competition.


-Ah, the obligatory "I own Apple products, so despite my obviously trollish comments, I can't be attacked because I said I own Apple products."

Attack me all you want, I wouldn't make the post I did without expecting a retort. As for troll...hmmmm I think not. Because I am stating a fact people are crying because another company makes a thin silver laptop is trolling.? So if the Apple TV that comes out is black or silver and thin are they copying other TV makers? I don't think so.


Apple fanboys are too stupid to know Android is better.

In your reference to me on that, I don't ever recall writing Android is better, just that iOS is stale. It's a matter of personal preference. I mean they did add quite a bit to iOS with the notification system among other things I've never seen before. Oh let's not forget SIRI!!
Well played...you got me!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Cool! Let's run down the checklist.



Sports reference, so




Within the context, I believe this one applies:

√ Patents shouldn't be allowed. They interfere with competition.



Right, so there's this one

√ Apple is afraid of any real competition.



Haven't really been seeing those



Ah, the obligatory "I own Apple products, so despite my obviously trollish comments, I can't be attacked because I said I own Apple products."

It's like calling BASE! in Tag



Tough one, but I'm going to go with a modified version of

√ Apple fanboys are too stupid to know Android is better.



And moving right down the line

√ Apple copied everything from Android, so how dare they sue?



This just writes itself

√ Apple needs to innovate not litigate.



Come clean now. You saw the checklist in the other thread and decided to write a post that fit the bill for every single point, didn't you? That's a good one. You got me. Ha ha. Well played.
post #145 of 166
[QUOTE=jbeez17;2045538]-Apple can't compete on a level playing field.

No, it seems companies like Asus cannot play on a level playing field by being squeezed out from a supplier building Zenbooks. Only thing that's actually similar is they're silver and thin. Stop kidding yourself.

-Haven't really been seeing those

You should read a little more. How many products have they successfully blocked from ever seeing a retail store? The patents are easy to get around, just ask Samsung and Apple that. Not to mention it's tiring and isn't stopping anybody.

-Apple is afraid of any real competition.

Looks like they have very good competition.


-Ah, the obligatory "I own Apple products, so despite my obviously trollish comments, I can't be attacked because I said I own Apple products."

Attack me all you want, I wouldn't make the post I did without expecting a retort. As for troll...hmmmm I think not. Because I am stating a fact people are crying because another company makes a thin silver laptop is trolling.? So if the Apple TV that comes out is black or silver and thin are they copying other TV makers? I don't think so.


Apple fanboys are too stupid to know Android is better.

In your reference to me on that, I don't ever recall writing Android is better, just that iOS is stale. It's a matter of personal preference. I mean they did add quite a bit to iOS with the notification system among other things I've never seen before. Oh let's not forget SIRI!!
Well played...you got me!!!!!!!!!
post #146 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

The ASUS Zenbook may resemble the MBA from the side where the USB and minidisplay ports are located (never mind that it's not even the same type of USB port).

The MacBook Air has Thunderbolt. The Zenbook's "USB port" is their charging port.

Quote:
But when you look at the Zenbook from any other angle the resemblance disappears. The lid looks NOTHING like the lid on an MBA. Neither do the keyboard or the screen.

The shape of the lid looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air's, taper and all.

The bottom looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air. They even used the same number of screws!

The keyboard is made to be as close to the MacBook family keyboard as possible. Heck, they even chose a font that looks like an italicized version of the current Apple keyboard font!

Look, if eMachines can lose a suit and be driven into bankruptcy by making this monstrosity, the current slew of Ultrabooks can be sued in much the same way.

Quote:
I've never seen an MBA screen with a big "ASUS" logo on it. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Zenbook doesn't run OS X.

Well, I'm sold. You're obviously completely right about this. A lawsuit can't POSSIBLY happen because of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeez17 View Post

-Apple can't compete on a level playing field.

No, it seems companies like Asus cannot play on a level playing field by being squeezed out from a supplier building Zenbooks.

Exactly; that's what I'm saying. You're spouting the same generic crap that people always say.

Quote:
Looks like they have very good competition.

Looks like they don't have any.

Quote:
Apple fanboys are too stupid to know Android is better.

In your reference to me on that, I don't ever recall writing Android is better, just that iOS is stale.

As I said, "heavily modified version of".

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #147 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The bottom looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air. They even used the same number of screws!

Watch out, some might think that you're suggesting Apple has a patent on the number of screws that can be used.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #148 of 166
The shape of the lid looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air's, taper and all.

My Samsung TV looks really similar to my Sony TV. Both thin, black, shape, and shiny. Blasphemy...those copiers!! I'm even going to check the amount of screws they use in the back. They better not be the same or else!!! A LAWSUIT better be filed if there's the same amount of screws!!!



Exactly; that's what I'm saying. You're spouting the same generic crap that people always say.

And you keep coming with the same generic laughable defense by Apple fanboys.


Looks like they don't have any competition.

Really...look at the market share 4 years ago to today. 4 years ago Macs were not the market share as they are today. Kudos to Apple because they make very nice PCs with a very nice OS.

Look at iOS compared to Android then. Android was barely on the radar, and today it's very close.

Look at Samsung's and HTC's share in phones compared to today? While not close to Apple's share in smartphones but they are gaining.

You think it's a coincidence that Apple has become patent trolls all of a sudden? Please!!!
And yes they should stick to innovation not litigation because they are not stopping anybody, just digging themselves into never ending lawsuits. And yes, iOS hasn't been innovative for a couple of years. Just giving it's customers what's been on many phones for years.

Apple is a great company but competition is always a good thing!





Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The MacBook Air has Thunderbolt. The Zenbook's "USB port" is their charging port.



The shape of the lid looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air's, taper and all.

The bottom looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air. They even used the same number of screws!

The keyboard is made to be as close to the MacBook family keyboard as possible. Heck, they even chose a font that looks like an italicized version of the current Apple keyboard font!

Look, if eMachines can lose a suit and be driven into bankruptcy by making this monstrosity, the current slew of Ultrabooks can be sued in much the same way.



Well, I'm sold. You're obviously completely right about this. A lawsuit can't POSSIBLY happen because of these things.



Exactly; that's what I'm saying. You're spouting the same generic crap that people always say.



Looks like they don't have any.



As I said, "heavily modified version of".
post #149 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're asking why you can't run Mac OS apps on iOS. You really should know why. It's the same reason that iOS for iPad apps don't run on iOS for iPhone/Touch or iOS for AppleTV. For starters they have different UIs. One uses Aqua, two use CocoaTouch, and one uses BackRow.

You never wondered by an almost standard build of Tiger wouldn't let you access Finder or run all your apps on the original AppleTV? You just assumed it was something other than their Mac OS foundation? Perhaps you thought it was Linux because most of their iPods use Linux. Do you not wonder why Android apps won't automatically run on Ubuntu or the iPod Classic?

Are you going to now claim I photoshopped these images, went back in time 5 years and put them online just to prove a point? Not that I wouldn't do that but if I had a time machine I would go back in time to invest in companies.

you are very confused it seems.
post #150 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

you are very confused it seems.

Says the guy that can't even read the simple text on huge banners.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #151 of 166
Why are you doing it like this? It makes it impossible to read. simply split up my quote like I do yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeez17 View Post

My Samsung TV looks really similar to my Sony TV. Both thin, black, shape, and shiny. Blasphemy...those copiers!! I'm even going to check the amount of screws they use in the back. They better not be the same or else!!! A LAWSUIT better be filed if there's the same amount of screws!!!

Wow, Solipsism, you were right.

Quote:
And you keep coming with the same generic laughable defense by Apple fanboys.

Ah, so you admit to having absolutely no purpose for being here other than to be contrary to Apple, thereby meaning you have no reason to be here at all.

Because that 'generic laughable defense' is what is known as truth. If you had any real rebuttal to it, you wouldn't have to pretend I'm a "fanboy" and think you've accomplished ANYTHING in this argument save for looking foolish.

Apple ][ is a "fanboy". I'm just fervently against the anti-Apple nonsense on here.

Quote:
Really...look at the market share 4 years ago to today. 4 years ago Macs were not the market share as they are today.

Yeah, they've grown. Showing that they have competition somehow?

Quote:
You think it's a coincidence that Apple has become patent trolls all of a sudden?

You're implying that there was ever a time that Apple DIDN'T protect its intellectual property? Please, indeed.

Quote:
And yes they should stick to innovation not litigation

Explain: Why is Apple the only company in the industry that is allowed to innovate?

Quote:
because they are not stopping anybody, just digging themselves into never ending lawsuits.

Sure they're not.

Quote:
And yes, iOS hasn't been innovative for a couple of years.

Sure it hasn't.

Quote:
Just giving it's customers what's been on many phones for years.

Like absolutely terrible battery life, sure. I agree with that about iOS 5.1. I certainly hope apple doesn't keep "giving us what's been on many phones for years" and make iOS suck like Android does. Never mind that your position on this matter is so nebulous that you can pretend you're saying anything and claim it has meaning.

Quote:
Apple is a great company but competition is always a good thing!

Call me when they get some.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #152 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're asking why you can't run Mac OS apps on iOS. You really should know why. It's the same reason that iOS for iPad apps don't run on iOS for iPhone/Touch or iOS for AppleTV. For starters they have different UIs. One uses Aqua, two use CocoaTouch, and one uses BackRow.

You never wondered by an almost standard build of Tiger wouldn't let you access Finder or run all your apps on the original AppleTV? You just assumed it was something other than their Mac OS foundation? Perhaps you thought it was Linux because most of their iPods use Linux. Do you not wonder why Android apps won't automatically run on Ubuntu or the iPod Classic?

Are you going to now claim I photoshopped these images, went back in time 5 years and put them online just to prove a point? Not that I wouldn't do that but if I had a time machine I would go back in time to invest in companies.

ahem....

first, the reason you can't run apps for android on ubuntu is because android ain't ubuntu (easy answer). linux ain't ubuntu. linux is the kernel and ubuntu is a distro. the same goes for IOS and OS X. they are not equivalent to each other.they share a kernel (darwin) but IOS is more than darwin and OS X is much more than both.
Apple got it and that is why the OS X name was dropped after the initial rollout. they only used those banners at the premier of the iphone. why? cuz it tied in to what they were know for doing well (OS X) and second, they hadn't acquired the rights to use IOS (that was owned by Cisco and apple licensed the name).
if IOS = OS X then no need to change the name and no need to have different apps. the apps woluld run on both natively.
(i should add: hardware being equal)

update (XNU is the kernel and Darwin is the basic core os features) i misused the terms.
post #153 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

ahem....

first, the reason you can't run apps for android on ubuntu is because android ain't ubuntu (easy answer). linux ain't ubuntu. linux is the kernel and ubuntu is a distro. the same goes for IOS and OS X. they are not equivalent to each other.they share a kernel (darwin) but IOS is more than darwin and OS X is much more than both.
Apple got it and that is why the OS X name was dropped after the initial rollout. they only used those banners at the premier of the iphone. why? cuz it tied in to what they were know for doing well (OS X) and second, they hadn't acquired the rights to use IOS (that was owned by Cisco and apple licensed the name).
if IOS = OS X then no need to change the name and no need to have different apps. the apps woluld run on both natively.

1) It'll be your little secret that Mac OS and iOS have no affiliation. People situated in reality know that iOS and Mac OS are built from a core OS X foundation.

2) Bullshit! Apple called it OS X iPhone then iPhone OS from the start. It wasn't until the first WWDC after the iPad launch that they changed the name to iOS. That's over 3 years after the issue with Cisco was dealt with.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #154 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) It'll be your little secret that Mac OS and iOS have no affiliation. People situated in reality know that iOS and Mac OS are built from a core OS X foundation.

2) Bullshit! Apple called it OS X iPhone then iPhone OS from the start. It wasn't until the first WWDC after the iPad launch that they changed the name to iOS. That's over 3 years after the issue with Cisco was dealt with.

its no secret. i never said they had 'no affiliation' now you are just changing the terms to suit you. get over yourself.
post #155 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

its no secret. i never said they had 'no affiliation' now you are just changing the terms to suit you. get over yourself.

It's pretty fucking simple. Apple took Mac OS X and took out al the Mac components that they don't need. A base OS. OS X. Then they forked that to create iOS. From there Mac OS and iOS have shared plenty of high and low-level code. They are connected. They come from the same core OS. This is why you can run OS X apps on both iOS and Mac OS that use the same foundations. You can't run Mac OS X apps on iOS, and you can't run iOS apps on Mac OS X directly. Stop confusing OS X with Mac OS X. There is a reason Apple removed Mac from the name.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #156 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's pretty fucking simple. Apple took Mac OS X and took out al the Mac components that they don't need. A base OS. OS X. Then they forked that to create iOS. From there Mac OS and iOS have shared plenty of high and low-level code. They are connected. They come from the same core OS. This is why you can run OS X apps on both iOS and Mac OS that use the same foundations. You can't run Mac OS X apps on iOS, and you can't run iOS apps on Mac OS X directly. Stop confusing OS X with Mac OS X. There is a reason Apple removed Mac from the name.

Wouldn't that mean "OS X" is Darwin? It sounds like you guys are arguing the same thing just using different terminology.

Do either of you actually remember what started this? I can't even work it out
post #157 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Wouldn't that mean "OS X" is Darwin? It sounds like you guys are arguing the same thing just using different terminology.

OS X is Darwin but Darwin isn't OS X. It's like saying that WebKit is Safari. Darwin is more simple than OS X. It doesn't contain many components that are found within both Mac OS and iOS, such as Cocoa, QuickTime and WebKIt frameworks, or Quartz Compositor, as far as I recall.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #158 of 166
I can no longer read your whining.
post #159 of 166
For the record, I think the way that the industry is copying Apple so closely just makes Apple that much more untouchable and may contribute to their success. They are making amazing products and everything else looks like cheap knock offs. They seem like the only company with any good ideas. I believe there is plenty of inovation to be had, but everyone is too busy copying Apple trying to bet on the "sure thing".

Am I saying Apple should stop suing? Not really, because they do need to protect their brand. Especially when it comes to the style and appearance. Some of these tablets, ultra books, and phones are all coming WAY too close, to the point I think they might be attempting to deceive people. THAT is wrong

BUT...(and this is where I disagree with many Apple fans)

People mention Android. I think Google and Apple are feeding off of each other when it comes to mobile operating systems and I think the competition there is GOOD. If Android disappeared, I think iOS would be worse for it. As it stands now, there are at least a couple of MAJOR features of Android that have made its way to iOS (Voice recognition, notifications). Siri is a BIG improvement on the voice search capabilities that existed in Android, but the fact remains: Android had it built in first.

I know the feeling is that Android completely imitated iOS in the beginning. Perhaps it did, but it doesn't take much research to discover that a lot of the concepts in the iPhone had been around for some time. Apple was the first to realize those ideas would make an amazing phone.

They deserve credit and they are reaping a MAJOR credit and reward for doing so. But multi-touch interfaces and the various input methods were first discussed back in 1985 at Bell Labs. Apple got the patent, HOWEVER ....

There is this.

Apple has actually LOST this multi touch battle, weakening their patent claims on multi-touch. The amount paid by Apple is beans, but it could have an impact on other cases and lawsuits.

So the whole Android/MultiTouch Interface issue is on MUCH shakier ground then these outright knock offs of Macbook Airs.
post #160 of 166
This is an Apple site. Anyone calling anyone else a "fanboy" or grammatical variation thereof, referring to Apple products, will have their post deleted and account banned. This means don't quote someone who used the word, or you'll get swept up by the search engine also.
--Johnny
Reply
--Johnny
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple reportedly squeezing supplier to stop building MacBook Air clones from Asus