or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's latest patent suit against Samsung seen as its strongest case yet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's latest patent suit against Samsung seen as its strongest case yet - Page 4

post #121 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

you forgot the Star Trek Next Generation thing !




Wow. I didn't know that they had iPads on the USS Enterprise!
post #122 of 145
You can't make a wild dog civil. At any point in your interaction it is as likely to turn on you. Trolls are like the uncivilised wild dog. They have nothing to offer discussions outside their agenda. Responding to them only encourages their stay. They bore easily. That's the chink in their armour. They need encouragement and every response from the faithful is seen as victory.

Here's a few suggestions.

For one week, put them on your ignore list. Then ignore, don't comment, don't even read any responses to ignored members. Be vigilant. It's like an itch that must be scratched. Don't scratch. It only makes the wound weep and fester all the more.

Understand they are not here to learn. They are not on an Apple site to share. They are here to howl and bully. And nothing irritates a bully more than being ignored. So, irritate them in the best way.

Support honest members who find honest criticisms to Apple's steps. Show them how they are wrong, if you have the knowledge, explain how Apple is doing better. A best friend is always supportive, but s/he also lets you know when your zipper's down or slip is showing.

Where is perfection in the world of business? Apple isn't perfect but it leads the pack by such a long stretch, it's the closest to perfection we've got; and we know it will continue to get better and better. We may not know what's in our burgers, but we know what Apple serves and how it services.

Yet, do not let your sense of justice and fair-play second guess Apple's purpose and blindly attempt to play the game of fair thinking. Be knowledgeable. Other good members will fill in the gaps. This game that Apple rules is being designed by Apple and so far it has not sold us short. In all the skedaddling we see in the technologically defeated, Apple is the proverbial tortoise and its agenda is carefully laid out.

So why do the wild dogs come to Apple sites and play their bully game? Check out an Android site and listen to all the wining and pleading for help. Even the wild dog needs relief from such sorry states of chaos. Leave him to lie down to lick his own sores. And be happy, as he is not, in his misery.

And I mean this in the nicest way.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #123 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The keyword is touchscreen, it existed before the iPhone. No it wasn't capacitive nor multitouch but nonetheless a touchscreen. Apple took the touchscreen to another level. Apple has led technology in the smartphone/tablet market and companies followed suit.

And that's the whole basis of many of the lawsuits. Resistive screens didn't/couldn't provide the same kind of input. When the other handset companies moved to capacitive screens they either:1) didn't know that these ways to interact with the screen (gestures) were patented, or 2) knew but didn't care. Instead of developing their own ways of doing it, they just took the cue from Apple to get a product out as fast as possible which has opened them up to possible infringement,
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #124 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Stop trying to beat around the bushes and just admit that you were wrong. The more you try to argue otherwise makes you more pathetic and less of a man. MAN UP!

Defending yourself will get you banned. Don't do it.
post #125 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Wow. I didn't know that they had iPads on the USS Enterprise!

No, that's a Samsung.

See the red to black gradient? That's from their Touch Of Color line.
post #126 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

And that's the whole basis of many of the lawsuits. Resistive screens didn't/couldn't provide the same kind of input. When the other handset companies moved to capacitive screens they either:1) didn't know that these ways to interact with the screen (gestures) were patented, or 2) knew but didn't care. Instead of developing their own ways of doing it, they just took the cue from Apple to get a product out as fast as possible which has opened them up to possible infringement,

And along Apple's patents for the methods registering capacitance on a touchscreen and registering multiple inputs at once we've also seen Apple add to their portfolio method for implementing gestures that only came about because of the multi-touch touchscreen they brought to market. Pinch and zoom come to mind. There entire OS is built around this primary I/O, not shoehorned in after the fact or rushing to market by copying Apple's methods in order to get something on the market fast.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #127 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Stop trying to carry this argument away from design and into the functionality. They are two completely different things. The pictures are comparing the designs of the devices, NOT functions or capabilities.

What people like you are doing is, after getting caught with evidence to the contrary, you start to latch onto other, more specific, arguments to refute my claims and statements.

Stop trying to beat around the bushes and just admit that you were wrong. The more you try to argue otherwise makes you more pathetic and less of a man. MAN UP!

Buttons all over the front of the phone is a design aspect that Apple didn't use because Apple started with a multitouch capacitance touchscreen. Having the user spend 99% of their time using the buttons instead of the resistive touchscreen is a design aspect that Apple didn't use.

If you respond I'd really like you to formulate your replies a little more rationally and intelligently. While I enjoy beating you down I would prefer if you made it a little more of an effort as I'm getting bored.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #128 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

You can't make a wild dog civil. At any point in your interaction it is as likely to turn on you. Trolls are like the uncivilised wild dog. They have nothing to offer discussions outside their agenda. Responding to them only encourages their stay. They bore easily. That's the chink in their armour. They need encouragement and every response from the faithful is seen as victory.

Here's a few suggestions.

For one week, put them on your ignore list. Then ignore, don't comment, don't even read any responses to ignored members. Be vigilant. It's like an itch that must be scratched. Don't scratch. It only makes the wound weep and fester all the more.

Understand they are not here to learn. They are not on an Apple site to share. They are here to howl and bully. And nothing irritates a bully more than being ignored. So, irritate them in the best way.

Support honest members who find honest criticisms to Apple's steps. Show them how they are wrong, if you have the knowledge, explain how Apple is doing better. A best friend is always supportive, but s/he also lets you know when your zipper's down or slip is showing.

Where is perfection in the world of business? Apple isn't perfect but it leads the pack by such a long stretch, it's the closest to perfection we've got; and we know it will continue to get better and better. We may not know what's in our burgers, but we know what Apple serves and how it services.

Yet, do not let your sense of justice and fair-play second guess Apple's purpose and blindly attempt to play the game of fair thinking. Be knowledgeable. Other good members will fill in the gaps. This game that Apple rules is being designed by Apple and so far it has not sold us short. In all the skedaddling we see in the technologically defeated, Apple is the proverbial tortoise and its agenda is carefully laid out.

So why do the wild dogs come to Apple sites and play their bully game? Check out an Android site and listen to all the wining and pleading for help. Even the wild dog needs relief from such sorry states of chaos. Leave him to lie down to lick his own sores. And be happy, as he is not, in his misery.

And I mean this in the nicest way.

I agree with you. Although dealing with bullies is different when they know where you are and can get you in real life.
post #129 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You chose that pic because a finger is touching the screen yet you could have picked plenty of other Palm-based devices that have less buttons on the front. Of course they won't help you make you split tongue argument so why bother, right?

The same argument could be made of the aggregated pictures.

Why didnt the creator put the Samsung device, which clearly puts the emphasis on the screen real estate above everything else on his/her comparison picture? Why? Because it would lessen his/her argument. Goes both ways and we are back to square one.

Who wins? AI as my participation in this argument has generated 1) increased views and clicks and 2) invited more discussion from both sides. I have clearly done my part. Until next time we meet again...

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #130 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You keep saying that design is the only important aspect, that functionality has no barring yet it's the functionality that forms the design that made the iPhone and Apple the success they are today. Hate all you want but you're just fighting a battle you can't win.

See, you have now diverted this entire conversation into something different.

What started off as a comparison photo between "before iphone and ipad" picture is now morphed into a discussion about functionality and business successes.

STICK WITH THE ISSUE AT HAND OR DONT PITCH IN.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #131 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daramouthe View Post

I agree with you. Although dealing with bullies is different when they know where you are and can get you in real life.

Then's the time to carry guns or spout bad poetry.

Said the illustrious Apple devote
To the Troll who was screaming a lot, eh
"If I just had your head
in a machine I would shred
As a lesson to all who are naughty."

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #132 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Yawn. That argument is getting really old by now. Yes, ONE of the primitive 'publicly seen' alpha-models had a blackberry-esque feel to it but the SDK at that point, even early on fully supported full touch systems too, that didn't happen overnight, and it was before the iPhone was released. Continual denial and acting like Google never thought of a touch phone until Steve rolled one out on stage is simply ridiculous. Obviously the success of the iPhone pushed Google to take Android much further into a touch direction.

http://www.osnews.com/story/25264/Di...re_the_iPhone_

i love the revisionist history. You could say Windows Phone supported full touch systems too. But that would also be a complete stretch of reality. FACT: no cloner android phones where shown before the iPhone came out which looked anything like the cloner Android phones post iPhone. That blog you link to has zero evidence to counter that. Get over it. Google copied Apple, just like Microsoft, Samesung, and RIM do. Google is a joke of a company.
post #133 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Here's just one example. There's many. http://www.androidcentral.com/apple-...ey-invented-it

Even with this stated, I don't think Apple should be prevented from using Slide to Unlock. However, I don't think they should be allowed to patent it. It's fundamental to use, just like entering data is fundamental, and reading items on the screen is fundamental.




What about Palm? They had everyone beat, and icons on a grid was their fundamental UI design layout.

This is all the natural evolution of computing. The idea that these processes and fundamentals are "patented" is the product of a poor US patent system.

If you bothered to read the patent you would see that Apple patented slide to unlock using graphics and words to indicate this function, the Neonode did not implement it in that way at all, where are the graphics as specified in Apple's patent?

Android has copied Apple's patented method NOT Neonode's.

Palm drew a lot of "inspiration" from the Apple Newton, which came years before.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #134 of 145
From the outside it totally looks like Samsung bet the house on Android. If it doesn't work out for them they could end up in a world of trouble.

I hope that behind the scene they are working furiously on Window 8/Windows Phone 8 (and the patent indemnity that comes with those licenses) as a backup plan.
post #135 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

We keep hearing that these Apple patents are so solid, yet none have gained any traction in the USA. The Verge did a big writeup on the first barrage of patents, and I thought this would all be over by now, but, I'm starting to think that all of this is just for PR purposes. Whatever.

I used a friend's Motorola (?) Cruze the other day, and it was unusable. If that's any indication of Android tablets, people who use them have very low expectations.

Patent cases take years.

Eons in internet time.

Not hearing anything generally means the cases do have some measure of merit because the judge doesn't dismiss them out of hand. That just buys a 18 month to two year discovery and motioning period before there is much newsworthy again.

We will be lucky for the appeals to be exhausted much before the end of the decade.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #136 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post



2002

Samsung SPH-i300 and i330




2006


Compaq Tablet pc T1000


Hand picked devices aggregated to show only the devices that are completely different yet completely disregarding the devices that are.

That is a moral hazard issue.

Hey look that was back when Samsung was copying Ericsson's P800, before they moved on to copying Motorola's RAZR, Nokia's dual slide phones and Apple's iPhone.

Thanks for the reminder that a leopard never changes it's spots
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #137 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

From the outside it totally looks like Samsung bet the house on Android. If it doesn't work out for them they could end up in a world of trouble.

I hope that behind the scene they are working furiously on Window 8/Windows Phone 8 (and the patent indemnity that comes with those licenses) as a backup plan.

Of all the vendors using Android Samsung is in the best shape. They have Bada OS to fall back on if they want. So far all the devices using it have apparently been based on BSD, not Linux. I think it looks promising and as of v2.0 it looks a hell of a lot more refined to me than Android 4.0. I also think it's shipping on more devices than WP7 is. Say what you want about Samsung's business ethics but they are planning ahead.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #138 of 145
If I'm correct didn't Apple make the iPad first! then Motorola copied it. Yes folks this is true! Pull your head out of your rectum now. You can bare the real truth now!
post #139 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Wow. I didn't know that they had iPads on the USS Enterprise!

Yes they had ... (plenty of small tablets they constantly use across many episodes). But before a Star Trek fan raises the issue, I want to correct something : this larger model can be seen within the Deep Space Nine / Season 7 / Image in the sand episode

1998 ! ... Too bad the Star Trek production did not patent the device ...
post #140 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

See, you have now diverted this entire conversation into something different.

What started off as a comparison photo between "before iphone and ipad" picture is now morphed into a discussion about functionality and business successes.

STICK WITH THE ISSUE AT HAND OR DONT PITCH IN.

dear galbi, samsumg used the touchscreen to provide bigger/better buttons for the keypad. back in the day people did not like small buttons to type the number on because a phone was used to talk to people, not to entertain, like the iphone does. the two touchscreens have completely different purposes.... on the samsumg phone the buttons were used to scroll, and adjust the the volume right?, and the touchscreen to enter the phone number. meaning the touchscreen was used as a secondary input method(well primary in this case because it is a phone.)...

is apple suing samsumg over using a touchscreen for phone number entry?...

i don't believe any of apples patents apply to this phone... BTW does samsung still make this phone?, does it work today( is it analog only?) and why has samsumg not upgraded to work today.
i could goto gsmarena . com, i wil after posting this to check this samsung phone to see if it was analog only, and to see if it pays music.

to sum up this TL;DR lol post, using the touchscreen to enter numbers does not abrogate apple's ablility to sue sumsumg over touchscreen methods.
post #141 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

dear galbi, samsumg used the touchscreen to provide bigger/better buttons for the keypad. back in the day people did not like small buttons to type the number on because a phone was used to talk to people, not to entertain, like the iphone does. the two touchscreens have completely different purposes.... on the samsumg phone the buttons were used to scroll, and adjust the the volume right?, and the touchscreen to enter the phone number. meaning the touchscreen was used as a secondary input method(well primary in this case because it is a phone.)...

is apple suing samsumg over using a touchscreen for phone number entry?...

i don't believe any of apples patents apply to this phone... BTW does samsung still make this phone?, does it work today( is it analog only?) and why has samsumg not upgraded to work today.
i could goto gsmarena . com, i wil after posting this to check this samsung phone to see if it was analog only, and to see if it pays music.

to sum up this TL;DR lol post, using the touchscreen to enter numbers does not abrogate apple's ablility to sue sumsumg over touchscreen methods.

Except it wasnt just numbers that they were typing but the entire OS was based on touch interface. A little OS called Palm existed before Apple.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #142 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

dear galbi, samsumg used the touchscreen to provide bigger/better buttons for the keypad. back in the day people did not like small buttons to type the number on because a phone was used to talk to people, not to entertain, like the iphone does. the two touchscreens have completely different purposes.... on the samsumg phone the buttons were used to scroll, and adjust the the volume right?, and the touchscreen to enter the phone number. meaning the touchscreen was used as a secondary input method(well primary in this case because it is a phone.)...

is apple suing samsumg over using a touchscreen for phone number entry?...

i don't believe any of apples patents apply to this phone... BTW does samsung still make this phone?, does it work today( is it analog only?) and why has samsumg not upgraded to work today.
i could goto gsmarena . com, i wil after posting this to check this samsung phone to see if it was analog only, and to see if it pays music.

to sum up this TL;DR lol post, using the touchscreen to enter numbers does not abrogate apple's ablility to sue sumsumg over touchscreen methods.

What you're forgetting is that Samsung did have a touch screen mp3 player prior to the iPhone.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #143 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It registered inputs the same way all resistive touchscreen register inputs. You really are the worse debater ever.

Pathetic retort.
post #144 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Except it wasnt just numbers that they were typing but the entire OS was based on touch interface. A little OS called Palm existed before Apple.

A timeline starting in 1992

Newton----------------------------->Palm------------------>iPhone

btw

<---------------Apple started way over there.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #145 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A timeline starting in 1992

Newton----------------------------->Palm------------------>iPhone

btw

<---------------Apple started way over there.

Well to correct that just a tad. The original Palm Pilot shipped about a month before the Newton, meaning they were simultaneously developed without reference to each other. And each did things in it's own unique manner (with Palm eventually getting sued and finally losing to Xerox over the Graffitti input method).

Newton was obviously derived from earlier MacOS GUI work that predated Palm by a decade and a half.
.
Reply
.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's latest patent suit against Samsung seen as its strongest case yet
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's latest patent suit against Samsung seen as its strongest case yet