or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung Galaxy Tab outsold by iPad on home turf

Samsung Galaxy Tab outsold by iPad on home turf

post #1 of 40
The iPad's worldwide dominance over its Android counterparts continues, and demand is so strong that recent estimates see the Apple tablet outperforming rival Samsung's Galaxy Tab even in the electronics maker's home market of South Korea.

Since Apple debuted the iPad in Korea in November 2010, the company is estimated to have sold over one million units of the ubiquitous tablet, far more than global electronics giant Samsung's Galaxy Tab, reports The Korea Herald.

The release of the iPad 2 in Korea drove sales to around 700,000 in 2011 alone, and industry sources say that number could be much higher as many consumers bought the device through unmonitored channels before its official April 29 launch.

Local rival Samsung traditionally refrains from releasing sales numbers, but estimates place iPad market share at somewhere between 70 percent and 80 percent for the region.

Two of every three iPads sold in Korea are WiFi models, indicating that users are unwilling to pay monthly carrier fees for 3G data speeds. It is possible that users are waiting for a model that will take advantage of the country's advanced 4G network, as all three of the nation's wireless carriers offer either LTE or WiMAX.

Overall, the iPad saw a 111 percent increase in worldwide sales from December 2010 to December 2011, with revenue jumping 99 percent during the same period. The rough South Korean estimate is but a fraction of the total 11.2 million units sold globally last year.

This is not the first time that an Apple device has outsold a competing product from Samsung in Korea, as November's 200,000 iPhone 4S pre-orders overshadowed a three day Galaxy S II sales total of 120,000 units.

Apple's iPad is dominating the Galaxy Tab in Samsung's home market. | Source: Apple

Apple's dominance in its Korean rival's base of operations is a side note to the two companies' ongoing legal battle that now spans over 10 countries across four continents.

The latest lawsuit was filed last week by Apple in a California court, with the iPad maker seeking to block sales of Samsung's Galaxy Nexus handset over autocorrect and "swipe to unlock" patents.

If successful, the suit may deliver a substantial blow not only to the Galaxy maker, but to the Android platform as well.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 40
Is this really so surprising? I would think that the iPad outsells every tablet in every venue. Should we be surprised that it is a big seller in South Korea?
post #3 of 40
and add to that, "...neener, neener, neener".
post #4 of 40
It comes to no surprise that even the South Koreans can spot junk when they see it.
post #5 of 40
Perhaps they mistakenly thought they were helping the economy by "buying local"?
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #6 of 40
Oh please. It's a guess. No real factual numbers at all.

"Since Apple debuted the iPad in Korea in November 2010, the company is estimated to have sold over one million units of the ubiquitous tablet, far more than worldwide electronics giant Samsung's Galaxy Tab, reports The Korea Herald."
post #7 of 40
To rectify this problem, Samsung is going to start airing commercials portraying South Koreans as losers and douchebags. That will lead to less people buying iPads and Samsung will gain more Galaxy Tab customers, as that method has been so successful in their previous commercials.
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It comes to no surprise that even the South Koreans can spot junk when they see it.

This with the apparent hegemony Samsung is reported to have over the South Korean government.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple ][ View Post

to rectify this problem, samsung is going to start airing commercials portraying south koreans as losers and douchebags. That will lead to less people buying ipads and samsung will gain more galaxy tab customers, as that method has been so successful in their previous commercials.

+1000
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #10 of 40
Maybe Koreans in general are as bad as Samsung's legal team in identifying their products from Apple's products.

It's a joke people, not a racist comment.
post #11 of 40
Maybe they THOUGHT they were buying a Galaxy Tab. Honest mistake.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

"Since Apple debuted the iPad in Korea in November 2010, the company is estimated to have sold over one million units of the ubiquitous tablet, far more than worldwide electronics giant Samsung's Galaxy Tab, reports The Korea Herald."

Doesn't quite fit in with your future predictions does it?

I'm genuinely surprised to see you back, Slapppy. I thought your dad had shot your laptop after that Facebook incident.
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #13 of 40
Suddenly all Koreans across the world are praised by the fans of Apple.

Before, they were all lumped together with Samsung and the entire nation (every single one of them) a "copy cat".

How hypocritical of them. Tsk Tsk.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Before, they were all lumped together with Samsung and the entire nation (every single one of them) a "copy cat".

Really? By whom?
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Is this really so surprising? I would think that the iPad outsells every tablet in every venue. Should we be surprised that it is a big seller in South Korea?

Actually, people are buying it because they think it's the Galaxy Tab... even in South Korea they can't tell the difference* because Samsung has done such a fine job at copying the iPad.

[ * until they get it home and find out the experience is much better ]
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #16 of 40
Perhaps they should rename it the Samsung Galaxy Crap to commorate the milestone of being outsold by the Ipad. As a loyal Apple owner and its stock I personally am never ever ever ever going to buy a Samsung device again and I'm telling everyone else the same who ask. Yeah I bought one of their TV's 2 years ago. The Inteface is basically crap, designed by a moron. I mean it is really crappy pile of dung plus on top of that every time I move from one channel to another or switch to DVD, or another source I have to change the screen resolution which involves using the really sucky remote and pressing 20 odd keys every bloody time! talk about stoooopid~!

Hey Sammy crap as soon at the Apple HDTV comes out I'm buying one and relegating your crappy old one as a Computer monitor neener neener...

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

History reduce Apple Watch.... to a footnote in the annals of technology - Benjamin Frost Dec 2014

post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, people are buying it because they think it's the Galaxy Tab... even in South Korea they can't tell the difference.

Hyperbole at the Poe?
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Hyperbole at the Poe?

There... I clarified for you.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There... I clarified for you.

He's just baiting. A Seuss character... Like the cat in the hat just messin for the sake of messin. He's smarter than slapppy though. Pretty sure that's not a worthwhile stopping point.
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I am surprised because South Koreans are very proud of Korean-made goods, especially Samsung goods. They may feel that with Apple they are still buying Samsung components.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #21 of 40
Quote:

Much like your 2% marketshare 'guess'? The difference is that these numbers can be substantiated through polling, sales numbers, etc. Your number was a WAG at best, and a trolling comment at worst.

But if Apple tries really hard, they've still got 10 months in 2012 to hit your projection.
post #22 of 40
Quote:

That's right. Samsung refuses to release any real factual numbers at all.

When they do, we'll see by just how much MORE Apple outsold them.
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

He's just baiting. A Seuss character... Like the cat in the hat just messin for the sake of messin. He's smarter than slapppy though. Pretty sure that's not a worthwhile stopping point.

Smarter than you as well, obviously. You might know Dr. Seuss but you don't seem to know the characters on AI.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #24 of 40
I have to question these kinds of stats, because they assume that people know whether they bought an iPad or a Galaxy. With the same packaging, styling, and accessories, thats ripe for error!
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I have to question these kinds of stats, because they assume that people know whether they bought an iPad or a Galaxy. With the same packaging, styling, and accessories, thats ripe for error!

There... that's what I was trying to say... in favor of the iPad, of course.

Hey... we all have our days.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Doesn't quite fit in with your future predictions does it?

I'm genuinely surprised to see you back, Slapppy. I thought your dad had shot your laptop after that Facebook incident.

It's early in the year. Apple is riding an emotional high with users and Wallstreet. Reality will kick in next quarter and my prediction will come true.
post #27 of 40
Quote:

It's early in the year. Apple is riding an emotional high with users and Wallstreet. Reality will kick in next quarter and my prediction will come true.

Hate to bust your bubble but they are currently getting voluntarily investigated for supposed workers rights abuses and, as a result, their share price has popped the seal on 500 instead of going d...o...w...n.

That doesn't seem like the typical behavior of a company that will lose as much market share as was publicly predicted, eh?

post #28 of 40
Quote:

And so when Greece falls and Europe capitulates, driving the entirety of the world's stocks downward, you won't bother mentioning that Apple's stock going down is a result of that, then, will you? You'll just start screaming about how you're being proven right.

Never mind that it's physically impossible for Apple to go down to 2% marketshare in either OS X or iOS devices by the end of the year. You'll just blow that off, too.
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

very proud of Korean-made goods

It used to be worse than that.

It wasn't irregular to be audited if you purchased non-Korean goods of any type.

Here's just one small example:

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=439x1909537

I've even heard stories of military personnel being refused 'services' by Korean prostitutes.

How's THAT for brand loyalty?

post #30 of 40
White prostitutes often refuse service to black men. It's just the prostitute's preference.
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD View Post

White prostitutes often refuse service to black men. It's just the prostitute's preference.

I understand what you're saying, but that's not what was happening in this case.

However, I highly recommend we return to the overall topic of the thread before it gets 'diverted'.

post #32 of 40
Quote:

Dude, you should change your handle to "Slap Me", considering how much abuse you have taken and how much more you will be handed as a result of being a troll.
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Dude, you should change your handle to "Slap Me", considering how much abuse you have taken and how much more you will be handed as a result of being a troll.

For 4 years that guy has been saying Apple is going to crumble shortly. Each day, week, month, quarter and year he's been proven wrong.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I have Korean friends, some of them use Apple products some of them don't. Never really mattered to me.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #35 of 40
I'm an American expat currently living in Korea. Apple products are a status symbol here hands down. I see a ton of Samsung products and a ton of iPhones. iPads I see every now and then. It could be since Samsung looks so much like Apple products from a distance especially with the tablets it's really hard to tell.

Koreans either love Apple or hate them. Some of my Korean friends say oh no no Samsung doesn't copy anything blah blah.

Weird there are also no official Apple Stores in Korea.
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I am surprised because South Koreans are very proud of Korean-made goods, especially Samsung goods. They may feel that with Apple they are still buying Samsung components.

All the Americans who've been in South Korea for a while say that Koreans are proud of Korean companies like Samsung and Hyundai. But it ain't true. Radar, I'm talking to you.
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

I'm an American expat currently living in Korea. Apple products are a status symbol here hands down.

Apple is just a status symbol? Sorta true. But Samsung laptops cost more than Macbook Airs or Macbook Pros so guess which laptops Koreans are buying? MBA and MBP rule in Korea.
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It used to be worse than that.

It wasn't irregular to be audited if you purchased non-Korean goods of any type.

How's THAT for brand loyalty?

That happened 15 years ago. But not anymore. How do I know? I drive a bimmer, my dad drives a merc, brother-in-law drives an audi, and father-in-law has a bimmer in Korea. Nobody got audited.
post #39 of 40
As a Korean-American who travels to Korea every other month on business (as well as China), I can tell you that the majority of people there don't care about some "home team" loyalty. Of course, there are those types as well and Samsung alone as a conglomerate employs a significant portion of the population and generates around 20% of the nation's GDP. But then, that sheer size and influence that Samsung exerts also has a lot of detractors.

Samsung recently tried to get into the bakery business (the daughters of the family owners decided it'd be a "fun hobby" enterprise) and the public outcry was so bad that they had to abandon the project. This is very typical of the "chaebol" conglomerates in Korea. The Korean public has a rather intense love-hate relationship with them. On one hand they're proud that Samsung has kicked the beehives out of the likes of Sony and Panasonic but despise their ever-growing tentacles into every fabric of the Korean economy and society.

When I travel around in Korea I try to take notice the number of iPhones or iPads I see and it's quite significant. I wouldn't say it's a majority but you see them so often that you don't even bother counting anymore. As far as tablets, they're overall far harder to see than the ubiquitous phones but I have to say that I've seen more iPads than the Samsung variety.
post #40 of 40
I wouldn't call the entire line of Samsung tablets crap though. I'm quite fond of my Galaxy Note and new Galaxy 7.7 inch. Their both made very well and the 7.7 gives me 12 hours of battery almost every time. I wasn't about to buy the 7.7 but I have a friend who works for a large reseller here and he won it in a employee draw. He gave it to me in exchange for a HTC Titan phone that I got at my Christmas party from my company. So I was happy as the Titan though incredible was just a toy for me.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung Galaxy Tab outsold by iPad on home turf