or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › WSJ: Apple to add 4G LTE to third-generation iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WSJ: Apple to add 4G LTE to third-generation iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

lol. whatever Mr 10 second battery life.

today's devices can use 4g and last people all day on a single charge, unlike the early devices that used it. whether you like it or not. try to twist it anyway you want. 4g on the iPad is gonna last people all day under normal use as this device proves is possible. that's the end of it. obviously you think not, but that's your loss. you can always buy a kindle if you don't like it

You aren't even good at backpedaling your own comments. You were wrong, admit it. There is a little shame in not understanding something everyone else know but there is a lot of shame for you to still maintain your ignorance in the face of reality.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #42 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

So YOU'RE the guy that bought the Xoom!

Actually... You'd be amazed at how many people have a number of things that you don't, if for no other reason than they appreciate all technology regardless of manufacturer.

Personally... I have 3 4G tablets, 2 of which are LTE (Motorola Xoom/ Verizon LTE and HTC JetStream/AT&T LTE), and they're all very fast indeed, much more-so than my cellularly connected iPads..

Hopefully my new iPad 3 will join that 'very fast' group soon..

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You aren't even good at backpedaling your own comments. You were wrong, admit it. There is a little shame in not understanding something everyone else know but there is a lot of shame for you to still maintain your ignorance in the face of reality.

SolipsismX, you're normally so rational! What happened? (not sarcasm, as it can be hard to tell on the internet)

The iPad lasts for 10 hours of constant use on wi-fi and 9 hours of constant use on 3g according to Apple. Even in the portion of the review that you cited, the RAZR MAXX is getting 8 hours of constant use on LTE. That is hardly a loss of usage time compared to what the iPad offers. On top of that, Apple can squeeze a much larger battery into the iPad than Motorola can in the RAZR MAXX. You have no logical reason to complain about the potential battery life of an LTE iPad.
post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

SolipsismX, you're normally so rational! What happened? (not sarcasm, as it can be hard to tell on the internet)

The iPad lasts for 10 hours of constant use on wi-fi and 9 hours of constant use on 3g according to Apple. Even in the portion of the review that you cited, the RAZR MAXX is getting 8 hours of constant use on LTE. That is hardly a loss of usage time compared to what the iPad offers. On top of that, Apple can squeeze a much larger battery into the iPad than Motorola can in the RAZR MAXX. You have no logical reason to complain about the potential battery life of an LTE iPad.

The OP is claiming that the RAZR MAXX can get 20 hours of LTE usage.

The iPad get 9 hours of '3G' usage so I think we can expect at least 10-11 hours with the new Qualcomm MDM6610 chip (iPhone 4S added one hour over the iPhone 4) without any battery size increase and if we're lucky we might be able to get 10 hours from this new generation of LTE chips and a slightly larger iPad battery. I've already stated as much.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The OP is claiming that the RAZR MAXX can get 20 hours of LTE usage.

The iPad get 9 hours of '3G' usage so I think we can expect at least 10-11 hours with the new Qualcomm MDM6610 chip (iPhone 4S added one hour over the iPhone 4) without any battery size increase and if we're lucky we might be able to get 10 hours from this new generation of LTE chips and a slightly larger iPad battery. I've already stated as much.

Actually he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

The RAZR maxxx gets over 20 hours on LTE in a super slim package (less than 9mm)

He never said 20 hours of constant usage. Would you tell someone your iPhone lasts 8 hours (just guessing at constant use time) or would you tell someone that it lasts you at least a full day (just guessing at your normal use time)?

Reviews I've read have shown close to three days of battery life under low use, about one and a half days of "average" use, and nearly a day of heavy use (not quite as heavy as the 8 hour stress test I suppose). I think the iPad will at least match those numbers.
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

He never said 20 hours of constant usage. Would you tell someone your iPhone lasts 8 hours (just guessing at constant use time) or would you tell someone that it lasts you at least a full day (just guessing at your normal use time)?

Reviews I've read have shown close to three days of battery life under low use, about one and a half days of "average" use, and nearly a day of heavy use (not quite as heavy as the 8 hour stress test I suppose). I think the iPad will at least match those numbers.

For fuck's sake people, have you never looked at tech specs before?

It's not constant usage, it's accumulated usage. He pulled 20 hours from Moto's marketing, "THE LONGEST TALK TIME OF ANY 4G SMARTPHONE" which lists 21.5 hours of talk time.

If you say that you can get 20 hours of LTE use then by that measure you can 720 hours out of the iPad because you can turn it on, use it once, then let it sit for up to a month and then come back and use it again. That's a whole month of 3G use on one charge if you think like an idiot.

So you're claiming that the iPad must be shit because Apple only lists 9 hours yet I can go days without charging. You seriously don't see how being in standby mode will affect the usage time or how WiFi, 3G, video, and audio times are based on usage of a specific feature?

Bottom line: You get 21 hours of talk time on the RAZR MAXX which is double the Droid RAZR because it's double the battery. You do not get 20 hours of LTE either all at once or spread out several days. They couldn't even get 9 hours from light internet use and switching to WiFI.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The very end of the paragraph above the one I'm about to quote

Reading that made me want peanut butter for some reason, but I just ate a whole grapefruit, so I'm not sure how to proceed here

Quote:
Bottom line: You get 21 hours of talk time on the RAZR MAXX which is double the Droid RAZR because it's double the battery. You do not get 20 hours of LTE either all at once or spread out several days. They couldn't even get 9 hours from light internet use and switching to WiFI.

Doesn't that line have battery packs you can buy and install to improve life? Not like those cases for the iPhone with an external battery; I'm talking where you pop the battery out of the phone and plug in this thing that's twice as thick and bumps out the back but counts as an internal battery because it replaces the original one and contacts the internal pins. Maybe they're using one of those as the metric.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Doesn't that line have battery packs you can buy and install to improve life? Not like those cases for the iPhone with an external battery; I'm talking where you pop the battery out of the phone and plug in this thing that's twice as thick and bumps out the back but counts as an internal battery because it replaces the original one and contacts the internal pins. Maybe they're using one of those as the metric.

I'm not sure if they sell extra large batteries with a new casing for the device but the Droid RAZRs have followed Apple with the non-removable battery.

This is what caused the MAXX to get made. The first Droid RAZR clearly didn't consider that these devices need to be used. The Droid RAZR was awful and the MAXX is good, but you also get a larger and heavier phone for your trouble and as previously stated Moto didn't do anything remarkable, they just added a much bigger battery which is why the talk time which uses '2G' is so remarkable.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #49 of 55
Look at that. The RAZR MAXX has even worse battery life for LTE than I gave it credit for. Even the 3G web usage is still pathetic compared to the iPhone with half its battery size. So how is Apple not good a god job with power consumption again?


"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You need to focus on better reading comprehension. The Droid RAZR MAXX is listed by Motorola to get up to 21.5 hours of continuous talk time.

Guess which network component is responsible for calls on a CMDA-based phone? You don't know? It's CDMA. 2G connectivity. Not 4G. Not LTE. Not Data. You are wrong.
So where is your proof that you can 20 hours of data on LTE? You don't have any, huh? You are wrong.


Also note that thinness doesn't mean squat here as components take up space in the physical world so you need to consider not one... not two... but three dimensions. But to make that even easier you can just look at the battery's mAh to get an idea about its energy capacity. You are wrong.

The Droid RAZR has a 1750 mAh battery and is said to last about half as long as the Droid RAZR MAXX with a 3300 mAh battery. They both have 1.2Hz Cortex-A9s, 1GB RAM, 4.3" qHD Super-AMOLED displays so there is no magic that Moto has learned about power usage since the first Droid RAZR except perhaps in figuring out how to cram more stuff in the same space through better engineering... but wait, they didn't, they merely added weight and thickness to the already large volume device because they cared so little about battery life that the first Droid RAZR was lambasted for being such a useless all-day device.

So one more thing....you are wrong. Goodnight.

Reply of the month. Awesome.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Reading that made me want peanut butter for some reason, but I just ate a whole grapefruit, so I'm not sure how to proceed here

First it starts with the grapefruit, then it leads to a jar of peanut butter... pretty soon, you're eating a 12" Subway sandwich at midnight. Think of the children!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

For fuck's sake people, have you never looked at tech specs before?

It's not constant usage, it's accumulated usage. He pulled 20 hours from Moto's marketing, "THE LONGEST TALK TIME OF ANY 4G SMARTPHONE" which lists 21.5 hours of talk time.

If you say that you can get 20 hours of LTE use then by that measure you can 720 hours out of the iPad because you can turn it on, use it once, then let it sit for up to a month and then come back and use it again. That's a whole month of 3G use on one charge if you think like an idiot.

So you're claiming that the iPad must be shit because Apple only lists 9 hours yet I can go days without charging. You seriously don't see how being in standby mode will affect the usage time or how WiFi, 3G, video, and audio times are based on usage of a specific feature? Fucking nutters!

Bottom line: You get 21 hours of talk time on the RAZR MAXX which is double the Droid RAZR because it's double the battery. You do not get 20 hours of LTE either all at once or spread out several days. They couldn't even get 9 hours from light internet use and switching to WiFI.

Calm down. There is no need for insults.

The phone's battery charge will last about 20 hours with heavier usage and some standby time. If it's mixed in with standby time, you probably have about 6 or 7 hours of actual usage time. It's really quite simple.

No, I never said or even came close to implying that the iPad was shit. I never talked about standby time for the iPad, which will clearly be longer than a 9 hour period of constant use. I compared a quoted constant use time for the RAZR MAXX with two quoted constant use times for the iPad. Just like for the phone, the iPad will get less than the quoted 9 hours of actual use time if it's mixed in with standby time (maybe you'll get three days on a battery charge with 8 hours of actual use, for example).
post #53 of 55
Jesus this upgrade could be MASSIVE to the iPad. Retina/LTE/quadcore/better cameras this is a power house tablet, if true 2012 will be the year of the iPad again. I decided to wait for iPad 3 when ipad2 came out but I will never imagine such a big upgrade.

What will make his the ultimate upgrade IMHO will be 1g ram & a 128g version. I can't think of anything else, i mean 1g wifi is not available yet...
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Jesus this upgrade could be MASIVE to the iPad. Retina/LTE/quadcore/better cameras this is a power house tablet, if true 2012 will be the year of the ioad again. I decided to way for iPad 3 when ipad2 came out but I will never imagine such a big upgrade.

What will make his the ultimate upgrade IMHO will be 1g ram & a 128g version. I can't think of anything else, i mean 1g wifi is not available yet...

If it gets a Retina Display I wouldn't expect anything less than 1GB RAM for that iGP pushing 4x as many pixels.

I hope they offer 128GB but I can only see 3 capacities coming and I'm not sure the industry is ready to move to 32, 64, and 128GB for the same price points.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it gets a Retina Display I wouldn't expect anything less than 1GB RAM for that iGP pushing 4x as many pixels.

I hope they offer 128GB but I can only see 3 capacities coming and I'm not sure the industry is ready to move to 32, 64, and 128GB for the same price points.

Agree the LTE chipsets will cost them the same roughly than the current 3G ipad is using but Retina will add plenty of cost to the devise. Better cameras wont add to much to the ipad since they are already being built in mass for iPhone. But adding 128g of storage for the same price point will be to much IMHO...

So they choose retina over more storage in the same price range and I think is the right choice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › WSJ: Apple to add 4G LTE to third-generation iPad