or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Chinese 'iPad' trademark owner looking to block sales of Apple's iPad globally

Chinese 'iPad' trademark owner looking to block sales of Apple's iPad globally - Page 2

post #41 of 204
If Apple ends up on the losing end of this, maybe they could just rename it the iPodTouch HD?

(...despite the fact that it doesn't really have an HD display... yet)

It's not like the iPad isn't essentially a larger version of the iPod Touch anyway, running the same mobile OS as well as being functionally identical (much as their Android counterparts are just larger-screened Android devices), therefore using the name iPod Touch HD would not be unthinkable, and certainly not insulting in any way.

In the past, Apple chose to call their upper-line laptop the MacBook Pro, and their ultra-portable the MacBook Air, instead of coming up with completely different names because they were merely variations upon the already existing [MacBook] theme, just as the iPad's really just a variation upon the iPod Touch theme.

Or, of course, Apple could just pay the possible fines etc. and continue business as usual.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #42 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post

"iPad 3" is ALREADY NEW trademark name which noone registered yet in China.

I believe they are going after the iPad name and it doesnt matter whatever numeral come after iPad.

I am no expert i believe Apple can still ship iPads from China without the iPad word appearing on the device. The iPad word can later be engraved on the device, it may cost more but it can't be help if the court decided to side Proview.

If China decided to side with this company to prove that they uphold copyrights it would be a very stupid move and may start the exodus of manufacturers to other countries resulting in massive employment in China (it takes time but) and I don't believe they would allow this to happen.

Btw Apple need not grease anyone and it is not the right thing to do anyway.
post #43 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But I really love the Proview spokesman's statement that Proview is refusing to honor their agreement.

That's a spoke(wo)man from Apple.
post #44 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I find this to be basically a racist remark that goes much too far.

Everyone knows China is a corrupt country, but it's only a tad more so than the USA. Judging by your "Old Bailey" remark I'd say you were actually from England which is hardly a place from which one should be talking about the corruption of other countries either.

Racist??? Anyway, do the same in a US city and you're likely to find either a hooker or get robbed as well.

Anyway, in the grand scheme it would probably be a good thing if China allowed the sales & exportation to be blocked - it might actually get some companies to move manufacturing away from a communist dictatorship again.
post #45 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Dear Apple,

We will stop buying American debt and destroy your economy. Don't forget that we have you by the short curlies.

Sincerely.

China

Nonsense. China owns no more than 8-9 percent of American debt.
post #46 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

You certainly know how to set the tone for discussion! \

Apple apparently thought that name was secured under the agreement that it came to with the Proview subsidiary. It would be simply amazing if due diligence did not reveal the veracity of this thinking. Something doesn't add up.

It would be less amazing if this is a case of Apple not knowing which Chinese official to bribe or making the mistake of thinking they didn't have to bribe someone.

This is one example of why doing business in developed countries has advantages. Apple needs to speed up the geopolitical diversification of its supply chain.
post #47 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This is China we're talking about. This country is corrupted and Proview can buy some influential officials/judges/ministers as much as they like.

Buying the influence of influential officilas, judges, politicians, etc. in China?!?

At least that can't happen here in the U.S.
post #48 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

<snip>.

Btw Apple need not grease anyone and it is not the right thing to do anyway.

Btw, greasing someone is not just not the right thing to do. It's illegal under US law even if it is customary in other countries, so unless the execs would like to explore getting arrested, they'd be better off not doing so anyway - and I'm sure they're very aware of that.

It's a fairly large competitive disadvantage, though I suspect some companies set up subsidiaries that can then go ahead and do the dirty work anyway... Though that's a guess. Whether China, Central / South America, parts of Europe, Africa, India, the Mideast, you'd better believe there are a lot of officials & execs who like to get kickbacks for their 'efforts'.
post #49 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Just in case it wasn't noticed a few weeks ago, ProView already won an initial judgement in their favor regarding Apple and the iPad trademark. This is simply taking that judgement and now asking for an export ban.

Apple is being bamboozled by Chinese Justice just as it is being 'bamgoogled' by Redmond malpractice. As you are a long time crypto apologist for the latter, I would certainly have expected subtle schadenfreude for the former.*

Kudos for your studiously delivered *consistency, but none ...may I posit... for your self-leniency.
post #50 of 204
Dear China,

we will by ProVue and then countersue for trademark infringement in the US...

http://www.provue.com/

Who has had that name since the 80's....

Gotta love it... where is the Jello....
post #51 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

I believe they are going after the iPad name and it doesnt matter whatever numeral come after iPad.

I am no expert i believe Apple can still ship iPads from China without the iPad word appearing on the device. The iPad word can later be engraved on the device, it may cost more but it can't be help if the court decided to side Proview.

Don't forget any references of the iPad name in the OS or firmware...or business and legal documents, etc.
post #52 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

If Apple ends up on the losing end of this, maybe they could just rename it the iPodTouch HD?

It's not like the iPad isn't essentially a larger version of the iPod Touch anyway, ....

It's not like a swimming pool isn't essentially a larger version of a bath tub anyway, ...
post #53 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Dear Apple,

We will stop buying American debt and destroy your economy. Don't forget that we have you by the short curlies.

Sincerely.

China

The Chinese only own a miniscule portion of our debt - in the single digits.

On the other hand, does China really want to tell leading businesses around the world that their manufacturing lines are so vulnerable that a baseless IP suit can hold their entire product lines hostage? Some companies are already looking to take manufacturing out of China, due to cost, environmental and IP concerns. If China blocks the export of iPads made in China, the backlash by both consumers and international companies would be *enormous*.
post #54 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Racist??? Anyway, do the same in a US city and you're likely to find either a hooker or get robbed as well.

Anyway, in the grand scheme it would probably be a good thing if China allowed the sales & exportation to be blocked - it might actually get some companies to move manufacturing away from a communist dictatorship again.

If people cannot come up with a solid basis for an argument the "racist" comment is so often played. When I hear someone claim racism I almost always end the conversation and walk away.
post #55 of 204
Florian is going to have to brush up on his Chinese law.
post #56 of 204
Dear China,

After decades of not recognizing Copyrights of motion pictures, music and other electronic devices why start now?
post #57 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Dear China,

After decades of not recognizing Copyrights of motion pictures, music and other electronic devices why start now?

Really, I say let them play this out as far as they like.

Then Apple spins it, wins it, and gets damages from these morons.

THEN, since the Chinese government shown they're SO INTERESTED in protecting trademarks and copyrights, Apple sues every single Chinese knock-off maker of every model of iPod, iPhone, and iPad for tens of billions in damages.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #58 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

It's not like a swimming pool isn't essentially a larger version of a bath tub anyway, ...

Except, most of us don't whizz in the bathtub...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #59 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

The country that have tons of clone/knock off/KIRF products CARES about trademarks? gimme a break!

There must be a big company pushing PROVISION actions, probably google.

The revenge of Psystar
post #60 of 204
Apple wants to be a patent bully at times....so they need a taste of their own medicine. Chinese courts (not including Hong Kong) already sided with this other company once......they can do it again.
post #61 of 204
Quote:

First, Capitalism as an ideology *is* basically organised crime. Operating in it's pure form (without regulation and controls), it's basically "strong-man rule," or a kind of Fascism.

Um, NO.

Capitalism in its pure form is the private control of every asset [land, ores, trees, crops, one's labor, etc.], with the use / exploitation / access to those assets being utilized by its owner to generate income (typically by selling the asset). Some people get rich, and some people get the shaft, but it has nothing to do with economic policies imposed from the top down.

Fascism is a conservative economic system in which corporations [note, not an inherent attribute of "pure" capitalism] largely shape government policies, with a focus on communal rather than individual rights and values.
post #62 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle172 View Post

I'm not even going to bother to even say anything about this. I don't have to speak for this. This story speaks for itself.

Please go back to forwarding chain emails instead.
post #63 of 204
Proview just woke up or something? ipad has been out for 2 years.

Yet another case of lawsuit getting out of hand, lets halt all ipad sales because of a name dispute in China.

I hope Apple is taking lessons at start to diversified its production across the world. And for crying out loud Apple stop buying components from Samsung.
post #64 of 204
Apple should use a different name for iPad in China. Apple got the right in all other places. Chinese will become unhappy with this greedy company and blame Proview.
post #65 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Proview might want to rein in their spokesperson. Because that kind of comment sounds like they did have an agreement with Apple and it could be exactly as Apple claims. But Proview is feeling a little hurt over the issue that they undersold the trademark rights since they didn't know it was going to Apple. So they are trying to bully their way into more money.

Which is just the way to get Apple to yank iPad production out of China regardless of what the government says. And then move everything else as well.

Anybody who has done business with Chinese companies should know this kind of stuff is going to happen. Getting an agreement does not mean a thing with most of them... just an opportunity to renegotiate or worse, stick it to the foreigner. If the Chinese company got guanxi, they can throw the foreigner in jail. Happened to the Australian of Chinese origin and has happened to people I have met before. Dealing with mainland China is very different from dealing here in the US, Japan or even Germany.

With a $500B market cap, $100B in cash, Apple needs to diversify their sourcing and production globally. Besides, the US, Mexico, Brazil, Thailand, Vietnam, etc are places to consider. I have always wondered if Apple could mechanize the production.
post #66 of 204
Quote:

I find this to be basically a racist remark that goes much too far.

Everyone knows China is a corrupt country, but it's only a tad more so than the USA. Judging by your "Old Bailey" remark I'd say you were actually from England which is hardly a place from which one should be talking about the corruption of other countries either.

Corruption is everywhere, Prof. It is part of the human experience and comes from the competitive spirit. I don't agree with the concept and ramifications but it is and always will be and that is why we need an intelligent electorate to keep our governments' toes to the fires of honesty.
When it come to corruption it doesn't matter the degree of corruption from the individual to the institution, it is that corruption harms others and controls must be held accountable to keep it in check.

My comments are meant in humour/satire. It is one way to lift the spirits in an unfair world and useful for getting others (and myself) to ponder.

As for the mention of the Bailey, anyone with access to some form of public TV, BBC, CBC, PBS will be familiar with the Rumpole series. I am definitely not British (well, at least seven generations from being such) though my country is part of the Commonwealth of Nations.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

post #67 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

In my opinion, Apple wants to be a patent bully at times....so they need a taste of their own medicine. Chinese courts (not including Hong Kong) already sided with this other company once......they can do it again.

You forgot the obvious qualifier in your post!

It would not be opinion though, to state that Apple seeks to maintain those protections afforded it by law. In this case and under the particular jurisdiction, the law might not be as transparent as would be helpful in seeking protection. \
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #68 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Anybody who has done business with Chinese companies should know this kind of stuff is going to happen. Getting an agreement does not mean a thing with most of them... just an opportunity to renegotiate or worse, stick it to the foreigner. If the Chinese company got guanxi, they can throw the foreigner in jail. Happened to the Australian of Chinese origin and has happened to people I have met before. Dealing with mainland China is very different from dealing here in the US, Japan or even Germany.

With a $500B market cap, $100B in cash, Apple needs to diversify their sourcing and production globally. Besides, the US, Mexico, Brazil, Thailand, Vietnam, etc are places to consider. I have always wondered if Apple could mechanize the production.

Apple should buy North Korea!

post #69 of 204
Who cares about the name?! It is the product that counts. Apple can change the name and called it iPad2, iPadii, aPad, i2Pad, etc. There are all kinds of combinations. Then move production out of China. Plus, enough of Samsung... quit buying their components and use their chip fabs.

Tim Cook as a supply chain expert is over priced. Supply chains need redundancy and a lot of buffer. Global supply chains needs all kinds of contingency plans. The Apple supply chain had a lucky free ride so far with huge economies of scale and no back-up costs... now the Black Swans are showing up.
post #70 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alann View Post

And the difference is....

Organised "crime" is illegal. That's the difference: being powerful enough to get the laws you need for your "bezness".

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #71 of 204
China will overlook the trademark issue if Apple will stop investigating work conditions.
post #72 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Except, most of us don't whizz in the bathtub...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple should buy North Korea!

You're on fire over this one Dick!

So, buying North Korea, is that the end run, the flanking manoeuvre, to beat the Chinese at their own game?
post #73 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Who cares about the name?! It is the product that counts. Apple can change the name and called it iPad2, iPadii, aPad, i2Pad, etc. There are all kinds of combinations. Then move production out of China. Plus, enough of Samsung... quit buying their components and use their chip fabs.

Tim Cook as a supply chain expert is over priced. Supply chains need redundancy and a lot of buffer. Global supply chains needs all kinds of contingency plans. The Apple supply chain had a lucky free ride so far with huge economies of scale and no back-up costs... now the Black Swans are showing up.

iTampon was suggested.

post #74 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

You forgot the obvious qualifier in your post!

It would not be opinion though, to state that Apple seeks to maintain those protections afforded it by law. In this case and under the particular jurisdiction, the law might not be as transparent as would be helpful in seeking protection. \

Oops.
post #75 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Proview just woke up or something? ipad has been out for 2 years.

Investigations into employee work conditions didn't get serious until just recently.
post #76 of 204
Ã*Pad - problem solved.
post #77 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

China will overlook the trademark issue if Apple will stop investigating work conditions.

...and of course, everyone else will stop investigating Apple! \
post #78 of 204
I throw my Egg Foo Young at the wall
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #79 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Apple should use a different name for iPad in China. Apple got the right in all other places. Chinese will become unhappy with this greedy company and blame Proview.

One more thing. Many overseas Chinese like to buy iPad and bring it back to China. With this lawsuit, they should be confiscated by the custom. They will get angry. Who do you think they will blame?
post #80 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Oops.

- you do have a sense of humour I see!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Chinese 'iPad' trademark owner looking to block sales of Apple's iPad globally
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Chinese 'iPad' trademark owner looking to block sales of Apple's iPad globally