or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Slacktivism' groups claim credit for Apple supplier audits after the fact
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Slacktivism' groups claim credit for Apple supplier audits after the fact

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Two organizations that host online petition drives are claiming credit for Apple's partnership with the Fair Labor Association to monitor worker conditions in overseas suppliers' factories, over a month after the company originally announced its plans.

The two websites, Change.org and SumOfUs.org, issued press releases this morning suggesting that petitions they hosted were a motivating force behind Apple's supplier investigation, despite the fact that both publicity efforts occurred after Apple outlined its latest efforts in policing its supplier accountability policy.

Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman, the executive director of SumOfUs.org, stated in a press release that additional details Apple had just released about its partnership with the FLA "came just a few days after consumer advocacy groups," including her own and Change.org, collectively "delivered over a quarter of a million petition signatures calling on Apple to address abysmal working conditions in its supply chain in time to produce an ethical iPhone 5."

Participants signing the petitions didn't actually do anything apart from supplying one of the two websites with their name and contact information, a growing movement known as "slacktivism," which is defined as participating in "'feel-good' measures, in support of an issue or social cause, that have little or no practical effect other than to make the person doing it feel satisfaction."

While claiming credit for exerting "pressure" that prompted Apple to work with the FLA, Stinebrickner-Kauffman in the same press release paragraph chided Apple's actions as meaningless and disingenuous, writing that "instead of actually solving the problem, they’re trying to whitewash it" by "hiring a business-funded group with a long track record of serving as a corporate mouthpiece." As a "business" "funding" the FLA, Apple is currently unique among its technology manufacturing peers, none of whom were mentioned by either Change.org or SumOfUs.org.

Empowering social change after the fact

A parallel press release issued by the same Meltwater Press publicity firm credited a petition by Change.org for Apple's efforts, with the blurb "viral Change.org campaign prompts Apple to ask the Fair Labor Association to investigate labor conditions in Chinese factories and publish reports."

The release quoted Mark Shields, who originated the Change.org petition drive, as saying "as an Apple consumer, I'm relieved to hear that Tim Cook is taking this seriously and breaking ground in the industry with Fair Labor Association auditing. But Apple still needs to use some of their trademark creativity and problem solving to create a worker protection plan for new products -- especially the upcoming iPad3 -- so that they're proactively taking care of their workers."

Amanda Kloer, the director of organizing for Change.org, wrote in the same press release that her site "is all about empowering people like Mark to win campaigns for social change, and it's been incredible to see his campaign's growth and Apple's announcement today."

Retroactive activism

Apple's chief executive Tim Cook actually announced plans to work with the FLA a month ago, as part of the annual release of the company's Supplier Responsibility Progress Report.

Apple began reporting the results of its audits of overseas suppliers in 2007, and has issued candid, public annual reports of its findings and what steps it has taken to correct the problems ever since.

A variety of media sources and publicity or fundraising organizations have jumped on the reports to accuse Apple of, for example, using underage labor or allowing the unsafe use of toxic chemicals, after the company reported discovering through hundreds of audits conducted each year that several of its contractors had failed to meet its standards and after Apple had taken action to stop the activities or terminate its relationship with the offending contractors.

Publicity at any cost

Prior to Apple's Supplier Responsibility Progress Reports, the company had for several years reported its pioneering efforts to reduce toxics and ewaste internationally, efforts that were similarly turned around by critics to draw attention to their organizations.

In 2005 and 2006, a series of campaigns waged by Greenpeace and the Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition began using the company's rapidly growing visibility to kickstart their fundraising drives, with accusations that falsely suggested Apple was shipping sending toxic trash to third world countries and was involved in the "use of prison work programs where super-exploited, under-protected captive workers are subject to toxic exposure."

Greenpeace, in its "greener guide to electronics" praised HP for publishing toxics reduction goals that the company subsequently failed to meet, while ranking Apple as "partially bad" for failing to trumpet its goals publicly, despite having actually taken more effective action.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 50
Quote:
Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman, the executive director of SumOfUs.org, stated in a press release that additional details Apple had just released about its partnership with the FLA "came just a few days after consumer advocacy groups," including her own and Change.org, collectively "delivered over a quarter of a million petition signatures calling on Apple to address abysmal working conditions in its supply chain in time to produce an ethical iPhone 5."

...in the same press release paragraph chided Apple's actions as meaningless and disingenuous, writing that "instead of actually solving the problem, they’re trying to whitewash it" by "hiring a business-funded group with a long track record of serving as a corporate mouthpiece."

You know, fuck them. I don't even care if they disingenuously take credit, if they can then feel self-satisfied/accomplished and shut the fuck up.

That 1st statement is absolutely ridiculous. These partnerships aren't made and announced in the span of a couple days. They take at LEAST weeks and months of planning to workout, especially with a company the size of Apple. Not 2 days, which is how quickly it would have needed to be done if the 'petitions' had anything to do with it. The complete waste of paper had nothing to do with this. But yeah, because of them, we get an 'ethical' iPhone 5, whatever the fuck that means. Apple has waved its magic wand and now everything is 'ethical'. Thank God for these selfless souls.

As for the 2nd statement, even more sickening. Shows that these groups couldn't care less about positive change and action, but instead only about tooting their own horn and expressing their 'outrage' and 'disappointment' that these steps don't meet their personal standards, like the complexity and harrowing nature of setting up a fucking online petition. The baseless character assassination and slander of FLA (because they actually do something) is pretty despicable.

Sorry for the language, but I'm sick of these liars who are doing more harm then good by misinforming the public in order to whore themselves out and make themselves seem relevant.
post #3 of 50
to see AI actually *hostile* to efforts (however conflicted) calling for improving working conditions in Apple factories.

I know that sounds like a troll; I'm a long-time lurker here and longer-time Apple acolyte, and working conditions in factories isn't my top priority, but it is sad to see AI so dismissive of those of us who do have concerns and hold Apple to a higher standard than we might other companies.

Rick
post #4 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksta1971 View Post

to see AI actually *hostile* to efforts (however conflicted) calling for improving working conditions in Apple factories.

I know that sounds like a troll; I'm a long-time lurker here and longer-time Apple acolyte, and working conditions in factories isn't my top priority, but it is sad to see AI so dismissive of those of us who do have concerns and hold Apple to a higher standard than we might other companies.

Rick

The problem is Apple is taking the heat for everyone since all the companies are in the same basket regarding China. I dont like seeing a company being single out just because its succesful.

Maybe Apple moved faster with the inspections because of the petitions and pressure and all the bad press. So the movement did had some effect.
post #5 of 50
One of AI's members already pointed out that most of these protesters were just looking for a big hug and a pat on the back to show how great they are. This pretty much proves that point, imo.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksta1971 View Post

to see AI actually *hostile* to efforts (however conflicted) calling for improving working conditions in Apple factories.

I know that sounds like a troll; I'm a long-time lurker here and longer-time Apple acolyte, and working conditions in factories isn't my top priority, but it is sad to see AI so dismissive of those of us who do have concerns and hold Apple to a higher standard than we might other companies.

Rick

It's not very likely that these, as they call them, "feel good" petitions had any affect here. Likely Apple was working on this for months. It doesn't happen overnight. They may very well be taking credit for something that has nothing to do with them.
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksta1971 View Post

to see AI actually *hostile* to efforts (however conflicted) calling for improving working conditions in Apple factories.

I know that sounds like a troll; I'm a long-time lurker here and longer-time Apple acolyte, and working conditions in factories isn't my top priority, but it is sad to see AI so dismissive of those of us who do have concerns and hold Apple to a higher standard than we might other companies.

Rick

Your concern shouldn't be based on shady journalism.
post #8 of 50
I just love these people who make statements just to invoke a reactions, they are trolls on a mass scale. as with any troll do not feed them with any sort of response and hopes they go away. The problem like what happen here any response by a company they will always claim they made it happen.
post #9 of 50
Worker conditions in China are better now than they ever were. Salaries are going up sharply, vacation time has increased, as has sick day numbers, etc.

I understand that Apple is being used as a whipping boy because of their current size, and because of their well known brand. But I have to wonder at the sincerity of those involved here in these organizations, and the writers who have been commenting on various web sites. After all, where were they several years ago when Apple was so much smaller, and HP, Dell, Samsung, Toshiba and others were having their equipment made there under much worse conditions? I don't remember anything stating these problems mentioning that they should help clean it up.

It all seems very hypocritical. There is also just a limited amount that Apple can do without every other major company joining in. In addition, this should be the job of the Chinese government, not individual customers of manufacturers in China. If the government isn't that interested in doing something, why should they? The other problem is the consumer. Why should Apple, or any other company have to raise their prices to do this when that will cost them competitiveness when consumers want the cheapest product?

Seriously, how many people here would be willing to pay another 10% in order to help Chinese workers? When it truly comes down to it, consumers won't want to do that. It's why in the past two years, manufacturers are moving to Vietnam so that they can bring their costs even lower.

And what about WalMart? They are, by far, more responsible for poor working conditions in China as they continue to squeeze pennies out of their suppliers, and move more of their purchases out of this country? Why aren't they mentioned? This is all just some more politically correct garbage.
post #10 of 50
Where's HP's supplier responsibility report? HTC's? Samsung's? Sony's?

How can anyone post here saying the "petitions" had an effect and still not consider themselves a troll?

1 month. That's how long it had been since the result was overlooked before they even started their petitions. And that's just the result! To start a process like this has to take more time.

I would now like to start a petition showing the atrocities of Hitler's regime and a call for U.S. intervention in Europe. Who wants to sign? I think we can make a difference! (Oh, and the victory party for our successful petition drive will be next Tuesday at 8.)
post #11 of 50
For what it is worth, the FLA seems like a decent organization that has made a difference in other industries (shoes, clothing, etc.) I am not bothered that most of their funding comes from the American companies concerned about the conditions at their contractors' factories in Asia.

Apple was way out ahead of this torrent of negative publicity on labor issues. It is crazy that Apple has taken the heat when most of their competition is much worse, but Apple can take it. And as Apple is leading the way, the spotlight on their problems and remediations is a very good thing for all workers in the Asian electronics industry. Apple will set a very high standard that others will be forced to seek.

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply
post #12 of 50
So those truly disgusting and ignorant people are now patting themselves on their backs?

Change.org ? That sounds like a bunch of losers campaigning for a certain lying politician which shall remain nameless.

This story ties in perfectly with the iPad ban!

How about zero Chinese people will work for Foxconn in the future!? That will eliminate all possibilities of any so-called poor working conditions. People without any job can technically not whine about any working conditions.

Speaking of audits, the ignorant activists should be audited by the IRS for starters, as the likelihood that those losers are engaging in illegal activities is great and they are also probably not paying their fair share in taxes.
post #13 of 50
I may have to appropriate this for nefarious purposes.
Snarky Mac commentary, occasionally using bad words.
themacadvocate.com
Reply
Snarky Mac commentary, occasionally using bad words.
themacadvocate.com
Reply
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

As for the 2nd statement, even more sickening. Shows that these groups couldn't care less about positive change and action, but instead only about tooting their own horn and expressing their 'outrage' and 'disappointment' that these steps don't meet their personal standards, like the complexity and harrowing nature of setting up a fucking online petition. The baseless character assassination and slander of FLA (because they actually do something) is pretty despicable.

It's not exactly BASELESS.

It might not be true, but there's some basis for it. The FLA has been criticized for being funded by the companies it's supposedly watchdogging. There IS a little bit of a conflict of interest there.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

One of AI's members already pointed out that most of these protesters were just looking for a big hug and a pat on the back to show how great they are. This pretty much proves that point, imo.

These groups are making ridiculous and embarrassing claims but it doesn't mean that every single protester thinks the same way. Mass labeling them isn't wise. I'm not even sure where you got this claim from.
Andrew
Reply
Andrew
Reply
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Apple

Change.org ? That sounds like a bunch of losers campaigning for a certain lying politician which shall remain nameless.

A politician who lies? Try to narrow it down for us a little.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

These groups are making ridiculous and embarrassing claims but it doesn't mean that every single protester thinks the same way. Mass labeling them isn't wise. I'm not even sure where you got this claim from.

I have realized from past exchanges that comprehension is not your strong suit.

Please study the dictionary to discover the meaning of these words when placed together, "most of".
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Please study the dictionary to discover the meaning of these words when placed together, "most of".

Not even close to most of. What kind of recognition did people receive? None. Only the group itself did. If you're going to make this claim where is all your information backing it up? It sounds like this is just some theory you made up to chastise the movement.
Andrew
Reply
Andrew
Reply
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

These groups are making ridiculous and embarrassing claims but it doesn't mean that every single protester thinks the same way. Mass labeling them isn't wise. I'm not even sure where you got this claim from.

It doesn't matter. What matters is that people vote with their wallets. It's really just junk that people are willing to sign a petition. And how many were really Apple customers, and not customers from competitors who are thinking that this is a good opportunity to do something bad to Apple? It's not a conspiracy situation either. I come upon these people on various sites all the time who would love that chance to embarrass Apple.

The real question is whether people would give up buying almost everything they now buy because almost all of it is being manufacturered in China. We all know that it won't happen. People want their stuff, and they don't really care about what it takes to get it, even if they do lamely protest.
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Not even close to most of. What kind of recognition did people receive? None. Only the group itself did. If you're going to make this claim where is all your information backing it up? It sounds like this is just some theory you made up to chastise the movement.

So what? It's perfectly ok to lie and make up rumors about these so-called activists. Because, that is exactly what they do. They have no proof for their claims, they lie, distort and exaggerate in order to push their bogus, ignorant cause forward.

They are the ones who should come with proof, and not the other way around.
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

A politician who lies? Try to narrow it down for us a little.

I thought that the "change" part would be a pretty big clue.

If you still can't figure it out, then I'm sorry, I can not help any further.
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Not even close to most of. What kind of recognition did people receive? None. Only the group itself did. If you're going to make this claim where is all your information backing it up? It sounds like this is just some theory you made up to chastise the movement.

People don't have to get public recognition. They just have to feel they did something, no matter how hypocritical it may be. If they can just sign their name instead of actually doing something that would inconvenience themselves, or cost them real money, they will, and so it means nothing.

Meaning in an action directly relates to the amount of effort and cost it involves. No effort and cost, and it has no meaning.
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Not even close to most of. What kind of recognition did people receive? None. Only the group itself did. If you're going to make this claim where is all your information backing it up? It sounds like this is just some theory you made up to chastise the movement.

Where the fuck is all of your information to say otherwise... huh... what's that... you don't have any. Oh boy.

As far as who said that in another thread... for shit's sake, scooter... keep up. You laid some dumb ass drivel on that person for saying it.

[anyone who thinks I'm being harsh with this member... well... just read my sig... that's the wonderful logic coming from this person. Basically, if you don't agree with this person then you aren't saying anything useful. ]
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So what? It's perfectly ok to lie and make up rumors about these so-called activists. Because, that is exactly what they do. They have no proof for their claims, they lie, distort and exaggerate in order to push their bogus, ignorant cause forward.

They are the ones who should come with proof, and not the other way around.

I believe they got the signatures. These web sites aren't committed to any of these causes they support. It's just another way to make money by giving people somewhere to go to "sign" a petition that has little meaning.
post #25 of 50
What would mean something is if these sites required everyone who signed to pay, through Paypal, $25 or so to do so, and that the money collected would go into some fund for the purpose of doing something to alleviate the problems. Of course, to prevent fraud, it would need to go through some recognized organization.

I'd be curious to see how many people signed if that were laid upon them.
post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What would mean something is if these sites required everyone who signed to pay, through Paypal, $25 or so to do so, and that the money collected would go into some fund for the purpose of doing something to alleviate the problems. Of course, to prevent fraud, it would need to go through some recognized organization.

I'd be curious to see how many people signed if that were laid upon them.

Hear! Hear!

+100
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What would mean something is if these sites required everyone who signed to pay, through Paypal, $25 or so to do so, and that the money collected would go into some fund for the purpose of doing something to alleviate the problems. Of course, to prevent fraud, it would need to go through some recognized organization.

I'd be curious to see how many people signed if that were laid upon them.

Probably near the same number of people.

Then they'd turn around and write it off their taxes as a 'charitable contribution'.
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I believe they got the signatures. These web sites aren't committed to any of these causes they support. It's just another way to make money by giving people somewhere to go to "sign" a petition that has little meaning.

Yes, they got a few ignorant people and Apple haters to sign their petition, but a petition is not proof of anything. Even if a million people sign something, that doesn't mean anything at all.

I was wondering about where is their factual proof for their claims of worker abuse. I have not seen any evidence to back up their slanderous claims.
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You know, fuck them. I don't even care if they disingenuously take credit, if they can then feel self-satisfied/accomplished and shut the fuck up.

I disagree. If the media gives these people the credit for this, it simply empowers them to continue with their silly petitions and press releases. Apple will continue to be hounded over its other (non-Foxconn) plants in China, its plants in Brazil, and so on. And other companies will have to deal with the same thing that Apple is dealing with.

You don't give petty tyrants credit for something that they didn't do - or they'll simply want more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Worker conditions in China are better now than they ever were. Salaries are going up sharply, vacation time has increased, as has sick day numbers, etc.

I understand that Apple is being used as a whipping boy because of their current size, and because of their well known brand. But I have to wonder at the sincerity of those involved here in these organizations, and the writers who have been commenting on various web sites. After all, where were they several years ago when Apple was so much smaller, and HP, Dell, Samsung, Toshiba and others were having their equipment made there under much worse conditions? I don't remember anything stating these problems mentioning that they should help clean it up.

It all seems very hypocritical. There is also just a limited amount that Apple can do without every other major company joining in. In addition, this should be the job of the Chinese government, not individual customers of manufacturers in China. If the government isn't that interested in doing something, why should they? The other problem is the consumer. Why should Apple, or any other company have to raise their prices to do this when that will cost them competitiveness when consumers want the cheapest product?

Seriously, how many people here would be willing to pay another 10% in order to help Chinese workers? When it truly comes down to it, consumers won't want to do that. It's why in the past two years, manufacturers are moving to Vietnam so that they can bring their costs even lower.

And what about WalMart? They are, by far, more responsible for poor working conditions in China as they continue to squeeze pennies out of their suppliers, and move more of their purchases out of this country? Why aren't they mentioned? This is all just some more politically correct garbage.

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What would mean something is if these sites required everyone who signed to pay, through Paypal, $25 or so to do so, and that the money collected would go into some fund for the purpose of doing something to alleviate the problems. Of course, to prevent fraud, it would need to go through some recognized organization.

I'd be curious to see how many people signed if that were laid upon them.

+1
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #30 of 50
Change.org, in particular, seems utterly feckless, in the manner of modern web based social protest involving little more than twittering, passing along something on Facebook or visiting a website.

I worry that there's a current generation of young people who grew up buying into the heady language of technological empowerment, and actually believe that if you make a big stir on the net you're doing something important and real. I've listened to some activist pitches that a made a really big deal about how decentralized and connected and web savvy they were, and read press releases that seemed to have been more crafted by a cynical old ad exec than bright young politically engaged person. At times it seems like the infrastructure is the entire point-- that by making "hyper-local" "micro-activist" "realtime" "distributed decision making" blah blah blah campaigns it didn't really matter what the cause was, because the approach was so awesome and modern and cool.

I wonder if the start-up model, which is increasingly applied to social causes, isn't infecting the fundamental thinking in a dangerous way. You seem to get the worst of the tech industry-- the vacuous empowerment language, the perpetually in beta half-baked concepts, the over-promising and under-delivering, the slick public personas that don't actually signify anything more than clever designers-- applied to the important issues of the day, with predictably dreary results. Worse, this mindset imagines that a flurry of attention "solves the problem" and is prepared to take its good press and move on.

Which would all be fine as long as it doesn't suck all the air out of the room and leave little energy for the hard work, attention to detail, and follow through required to even make a beginning. Ironically, what the online social networking activist world needs is an Apple-- someone who will rise above the pro forma platitudes of PR driven incumbents who actually can't be bothered to produce a truly superior product, and show the world how it's done.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Where the fuck is all of your information to say otherwise... huh... what's that... you don't have any. Oh boy.

You're the one making up these claims. Now you're saying I have to prove something you made up is wrong? That's ridiculous. Do you just think your opinion is automatically right unless proven otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

[anyone who thinks I'm being harsh with this member... well... just read my sig... that's the wonderful logic coming from this person. Basically, if you don't agree with this person then you aren't saying anything useful. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar

I actually care about your opinion and you'd rather just prove me wrong than try to say anything useful.

What that statement really meant was that you are trying to instigate an argument without contributing anything useful. You have no solutions to contribute. You just like telling other people they're wrong. You scrutinize every word and sentence just to find some obscure flaw and then you point it out. I don't agree with what these protesters are doing but you're still arguing with me. The fact that you set that as your signature only further proves it.

I'm guessing most people that read it understand what I meant and it just makes you look bad when you criticize them and wont listen.
Andrew
Reply
Andrew
Reply
post #32 of 50
Absolutely correct. Working conditions in China are better than in the past and the work (that Apple and almost every other company that does business there) provides said workers with a higher standard of living than they would have on the farm.

Is this standard the same as here in the USA or other more developed country? No. But it is better for them and they WANT THE WORK. This is how capitalism works - the theme being spouted by these folks has failed everywhere else it has been tried in the world... grow up and get to work.
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

Not even close to most of. What kind of recognition did people receive? None. Only the group itself did. If you're going to make this claim where is all your information backing it up? It sounds like this is just some theory you made up to chastise the movement.

Slacktivists. What an utterly appropriate description for these type of people.

I remember you, Astrubar.

You're the silly, little girl who got your ass handed to you in this thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=143216

Went a little silent at the end, didn't you?

So, have you given up using all your Apple gear until this horrible wrong has been righted?

Do you intend to congratulate Apple on acting so quickly (as I advised you they would) or do you just save your comments for criticism only?

What is the next great cause that you and rent-a-crowd will be attempting to tear down while attempting to boost your self-esteem?

Will you actually be getting off your ass this time, or will a quick petition in between doing your hair and make-up be enough again?
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Reply
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrubhar View Post

You're the one making up these claims. Now you're saying I have to prove something you made up is wrong? That's ridiculous. Do you just think your opinion is automatically right unless proven otherwise?

Why not? You seem to think it works for you. Since you have no proof that I'm wrong then there a good possibility that I'm right. So, yes, you have to prove that I'm wrong. Why, are we supposed to take your word for it? What about my word? Oh, scooter, you gotta try harder.

Quote:
What that statement really meant was that you are trying to instigate an argument without contributing anything useful. You have no solutions to contribute. You just like telling other people they're wrong. You scrutinize every word and sentence just to find some obscure flaw and then you point it out. I don't agree with what these protesters are doing but you're still arguing with me. The fact that you set that as your signature only further proves it.

I'm guessing most people that read it understand what I meant and it just makes you look bad when you criticize them and wont listen.

Pot, kettle, sparky.

Arguing with you?! Are you high? No, really. I mean it. I didn't respond to you in the first place. You responded to me. You were the one looking for an argument. Think about it, junior. Pull your head out of your ass.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #35 of 50
So they put together web petitions, generated a bunch of signatures and staged a wouldbe presentation event at the Grand Central Station Apple Store.

Let's understand what is happening - they are trying to validate their approach to "activism" (you know I remember when that word actual held some weight). Grand Center Apple Store was used because it was easily accessible to the media - unlike the actual seat of control, 1 Infinite Loop, where they would be asked to leave the petition with the receptionist and ushered back out the door again.

The right measure of a protest (or an actual revolution) is the net improvement the event or action creates in the situation that is being protested. A good example of this would be the civil rights protests of the 60s. They were effective in changing some (certainly not all) the environment under which people of color had to exist. To that extent, the protests were in fact effective. And the measure of that effectiveness also has to include changes in the status quo - not already in motion.

This is where these folks fail. There was already movement by Apple to address the wrongs in China around working conditions - to claim that they pushed Apple to join and ask for an audit by the FLA is simply wrong.

The problem is most of our social/activist groups have set the bar so low for effectiveness of protest (Hey! we were on TV/generated 10,000 tweets/got 5,000 likes in FB/covered by the NYT) that even the largely ineffectual OWS/OE (Occupy Everything) protests are proclaimed as being a success simply because the media covered it, the city law enforcement moved against it, etc.

Passive responses do not make a protest successful, anymore than "standing up to be counted" makes them successful. Not a day goes by that doesn't see a group protesting something outside the State House, at a popular venue, a press release generated to announce the success of a protest because someone threw together a flash mob of like-minded people.
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
Reply
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I thought that the "change" part would be a pretty big clue.

If you still can't figure it out, then I'm sorry, I can not help any further.

I'm sure the RNC would love to give you a big ole bear hug today.
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I have realized from past exchanges that comprehension is not your strong suit.

Please study the dictionary to discover the meaning of these words when placed together, "most of".

I don't even care what you two are bickering about, using "most of" is ambiguous as it gets. People have differing beliefs about what that means. For some people it could men 95%, for others it could mean 51%. The best part is you provide no evidence at all for any number of people, not 1%, 51%, 99%.


Having said that. These twits are claiming credit for something they clearly had nothing at all to do with. They claim victory so they can look effective and raise some money. It is despicable. If they were a true advocacy group they would simply applaud the effort. (or not).
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Went a little silent at the end, didn't you?

I wanted to discuss it more but you wanted to keep all this "inside information" to yourself. What is the point? You didn't really care about discussing the issue. I proposed some pretty radical ideas but they were hypothetical situations because people were saying Apple has no leverage. Everyone thinks they're so smart for pointing that out. Not really. Plus Apple clearly has leverage and isn't afraid to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

So, have you given up using all your Apple gear until this horrible wrong has been righted?

No. I never said I wanted a solution overnight. Apple is doing a decent job but they need to try even harder. They haven't accomplished much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

What is the next great cause that you and rent-a-crowd will be attempting to tear down while attempting to boost your self-esteem?

I hardly support these people, especially now. I don't think I accomplished anything. I'm not here praising myself. However, it did draw media attention and thats a whole lot more than you've accomplished.
Andrew
Reply
Andrew
Reply
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

I don't even care what you two are bickering about, using "most of" is ambiguous as it gets. People have differing beliefs about what that means. For some people it could men 95%, for others it could mean 51%. The best part is you provide no evidence at all for any number of people, not 1%, 51%, 99%.


Having said that. These twits are claiming credit for something they clearly had nothing at all to do with. They claim victory so they can look effective and raise some money. It is despicable. If they were a true advocacy group they would simply applaud the effort. (or not).

How about "most of" as in "not all". The other guy said "every single protester " which would be "all". So I don't really give a shit about percentages or being ambiguous. "Most of" does not mean "every single protester ".
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How about "most of" but "not all". The other guy said "every single protester " which would be "all". So I don't really give a shit about percentages or being ambiguous. "Most of" does not mean "every single protester ".

It's still your opinion based on an arrogant view of protesters. The only clearly arrogant people are the petition creators.
Andrew
Reply
Andrew
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • 'Slacktivism' groups claim credit for Apple supplier audits after the fact
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Slacktivism' groups claim credit for Apple supplier audits after the fact