or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Samsung says an Apple television won't beat them in picture quality

Samsung says an Apple television won't beat them in picture quality - Page 3

post #81 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by yu119995 View Post

Name one Apple product that isn't "break the bank expensive" relative to its competition.

Oh Jesus. Fucking really? The iPad/iPhone are definitely completely in line with their competition price-wise when everything is taken into account. Same goes with the rest of their product line.
post #82 of 161
Samsung may not be wrong today, but he is forgetting one very important thing. TV panel is a commodity. Using its vast resource, Apple can pick and choose among what it feels is the best panel (or good enough). It will then calibrate it, package it in Jonathan Ive's creation, sprinkle with Scott Forstall's iOS goodies, and mix it up with contents.
post #83 of 161
Is that Samclone lining itself up for a beating?

*Takes out the bat...and waits.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #84 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Nothing that guy said that can really be argued with.

"The ultimate is about picture quality and there is no way that anyone, new or old, can come along this year or next and beat us on picture quality," he said. "So, from that perspective, it's not a great concern, but it remains to be seen what they're going to come out with, if anything."

Actually, allow me to argue with that. I have a 42" set that I'd happily replace with one of equal picture quality if the navigation/tuning was better than the total crap on the current one.

Changing channels is pathetically slow, you sometimes turn it off after turning it on because the picture hasn't showed up yet and it isn't clear whether it didn't get the remote signal (which happens quite a bit on it) or whether it's just still showing nothing (including the backlight not being on). It randomly forgets about channels from time to time, so you'll be surfing and notice it's skipping a channel that should be there - dig into the tuner menus and figure out how to re-add. Want to hook up external powered speakers - cool, but don't think you'll be able to control the volume with the remote because there's no variable line-out and the headphone volume doesn't change using the remote either. WTF?

So... I'm happy enough with the picture quality, but Apple would NEVER have shipped something that works this poorly, and I've seen other sets that are slow/bad enough that I'm sure Apple can sell a fair number of TVs without reinventing anything at all. If they have a vastly better interface/experience, even better.
post #85 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Even if Apple makes a TV, they won't manufacture it. They will partner with someone. Possibly Sharp or even save Sony's ass and partner with them. Steve Jobs always admired Sony and they are getting a real drubbing from the likes of Samsung. An Apple branded TV made by Sony might kill two birds with one stone. Hurt Samsung's bottom line and keep Sony around as a high quality component maker for Apple. At this point in time I don't think Sony is too proud to take that offer.

Not sure about Sony. Do you wonder why Samsung, not Sony, was invited to Steve Jobs' private memorial service last year?
post #86 of 161
It seems to me unlikely that the focus for Apple will be on an Apple-branded big-screen TV. There will be a line of big-screen sets with Apple's name on them but I think Apple changing TV will be about offering an update on the current Apple TV that, combined with arrangements with service providers, will alter how consumers access programming. In other words, a set-top box done Apple style.

This Trojan Horse will be complimented by a line of TVs that integrate the box into the set but Apple can't afford to gain a foothold in the TV market one TV sold at a time. It needs the already installed base to access programming via the Apple process using an external box. While this is put in place, Apple will begin selling TVs with the technology integrated into them and the selling point will be a simplified approach.

In regards to picture quality, though, I think that what you'll see is good quality and smart marketing driving home this fact. Samsung's products are displayed by retailers who feed poor signals into poorly calibrated demo units. Apple's TVs will not need to be intrinsically superior to be perceived as better because they will be demoed in a more careful fashion, as is Apple's way of doing things.

Once Apple has deals in place with service providers, look for a new improved Apple TV set-top box and a line of Apple sets incorporating that technology will be a likely companion.
post #87 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Samsung sounds scared. Why release a comment about a product they have not seen.

Also confirms it's not them supplying the screens
post #88 of 161
Quote:

Name one Apple product that isn't "break the bank expensive" relative to its competition.

Macbook Air, AppleTV, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Mac Mini, Entry level iMac...
post #89 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Even if Apple makes a TV, they won't manufacture it. They will partner with someone. Possibly Sharp or even save Sony's ass and partner with them. Steve Jobs always admired Sony and they are getting a real drubbing from the likes of Samsung. An Apple branded TV made by Sony might kill two birds with one stone. Hurt Samsung's bottom line and keep Sony around as a high quality component maker for Apple. At this point in time I don't think Sony is too proud to take that offer.

I'd be placing bets on Sharp.
From this it isn't Samsung and Samsung, Sony and Hitachi have just pooled theirTV screen manufacture
post #90 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Why do you think iOS is so popular? It just works.

Is that why Safari crashes on my iOS devices at least once per day? Don't get me wrong I love my iOS devices more than any Android I ever had, but it's not completely as smooth as some suggest. I'm hopeful the next version of iOS addresses the issue of apps crashing on a regular basis.
post #91 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Samsung may not be wrong today, but he is forgetting one very important thing. TV panel is a commodity. Using its vast resource, Apple can pick and choose among what it feels is the best panel (or good enough). It will then calibrate it, package it in Jonathan Ive's creation, sprinkle with Scott Forstall's iOS goodies, and mix it up with contents.

You forgot the Unicorn Hair and Pixie Dust

But, seriously folks, you forgot the biggies - Apples retail chain, its marketing expertise and its reputation for customer service that has people buying high value consumer goods in a time of recession because they think they will last better and are hence a better value proposition.

(they are right too)
post #92 of 161
Samsung can go wank themselves. Their TVs are overrated. They now cost more than Sony and Sharp even though I don't think their TVs are as good.
post #93 of 161
They said on CNBC today that DirecTV is looking for a buyer. I love my DirecTV but man if I had DirecTV and AppleTV content all in the same box I'd be in heaven.

At this point Apple would have to come out with something pretty damn special for me to give up my DirecTV HD DVR. I get all the content I want (and more) with an easy to use UI to boot. Not sure how Apple could beat that.
post #94 of 161
Samsung.....Same song!!!!
post #95 of 161
Lol Samsung can make that statement pretty easily, because apple will probably have them make the flat panel, or LG or Sharp. Pretty hard to beat your picture when it is the same flat panel in apples device. The fact is nobody knows if apple is even going to make an entire tv or if there just going to update the current stand alone atv. I would think the latter. The TV market is way to saturated. Also you would be limiting yourself to just the people that buy tv's. Unless you made both. a tv and a new atv standalone.
post #96 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple customers are the people who used to always have "12:00" blinking on their VCR. And Apple makes Billions. Smart.

Sounds like you are calling all Apple users stupid. Personal attack, eh? What a bigoted statement.
post #97 of 161
The real fun will begin when Apple's picture quality is worse and Samsung still copies it.
post #98 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I have a Samsung TV.
Out of the blue it started switching to 'stretch' SD mode every time I change channels. I have to hit a seemingly unrelated button on the remote to bounce the set each time I change.
You think maybe there's more to a great TV experience than just pixel density?
Maybe an interface that doesn't suck? You think Apple can't walk in and improve on the garbage Samsung has been coasting on for years?

I have two Samsung TVs, neither of them do that.

And as for interface, what is the issue with them? I change channels and it changes, I change the volume and the volume changes, what issue?
post #99 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Samsung is not known for picture quality.

Are you really sure about that?
post #100 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

The real fun will begin when Apple's picture quality is worse and Samsung still copies it.

See, while Tim Cook himself said they're not making a TV, and I've never subscribed to the idea (like people didn't know that), because Samsung has said this hypocritical nonsense, there's a small part of me that wants Apple to make an HDTV and use Samsung panels JUST to get back at them for saying it.

Not a large enough part to think that an HDTV would ever be a good idea for Apple, but the idea's there.
post #101 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I have a Samsung TV.
Out of the blue it started switching to 'stretch' SD mode every time I change channels. I have to hit a seemingly unrelated button on the remote to bounce the set each time I change.
You think maybe there's more to a great TV experience than just pixel density?
Maybe an interface that doesn't suck? You think Apple can't walk in and improve on the garbage Samsung has been coasting on for years?

I have a Samsung TV. Picture quality is decent, but the audio is awful!
post #102 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by micdug View Post

Really disappointing to hear a product manager say something as foolish as "picture quality is all that matters" given how this has been shown to be wrong time after time.

The move from CD to MP3 (having substantially lower bit rate) showed consumers choose convenience over quality when it comes to technology goods. People were happy with good enough sound quality if they could take more tunes with them.

The MP3 market itself was dominated by flash until Apple introduced retrograde technology (Hard Disks!) with the first iPod's. Again an example of "better" technology being trumped by the convenience of all your music in your pocket.

3d - being pushed by Samsung and others is a massive degradation of screen quality. You can't compare 3D and HD. If quality was so important then Samsung would not push 3D. Actually 3D sucks and shows how little innovation is happening in the TV set manufacturing game - using gimmicks instead of genuine game changers...

I like Samsung, have two of their sets. But if this is the best their product manager can come up with they are in serious danger of a disruptive event happening in their market. I have spent a couple of days out of my life teaching my parents how to use their TV (Samsung)/Satellite dish, DVD player combo. The whole user experience sucks and is getting MUCH worse with the advent of smart (complex) tv's and this is the fault of people like Chris Moseley who just don't get it.

Roll on apple and show these people how it's done. When my seventy something year old dad does not need to call me to put the sports channel on I'll know we are going in the right direction.

Good points and well explained. Samsung just seems "icky" to me. Don't believe I will ever buy any of their televisions. Just not a company I could be proud to support.
post #103 of 161
Am I the only one (besides AppleInsider, I suspect) who sees a strong parallel between what Samsung is saying about Apple and TV's compared to what Microsoft, Palm, RIM, etc. were saying about Apple's iPhone when it was first announced. The competition has a history of underestimating Apple.

Apple doesn't like to put out second best products. I think it would be very unusual for Apple to not be able to at least match Samsung's quality if not even beat them. Apple has much experience on color matching (wrote the book pretty much) so I could see Apple pulling something out of its sleeve that makes Samsung look lame once again.
post #104 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, while Tim Cook himself said they're not making a TV, and I've never subscribed to the idea (like people didn't know that), because Samsung has said this hypocritical nonsense, there's a small part of me that wants Apple to make an HDTV and use Samsung panels JUST to get back at them for saying it.

Not a large enough part to think that an HDTV would ever be a good idea for Apple, but the idea's there.

I hope you're right. There's little margin in TV's. There's potential in changing the experience; completing the experience.
post #105 of 161
Should Apple come out with a TV using Samsung LCDs, then Samsung's statement is true.
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
post #106 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I have two Samsung TVs, neither of them do that.

And as for interface, what is the issue with them? I change channels and it changes, I change the volume and the volume changes, what issue?

The basic controls seem fine, and on mine, the picture quality is very good (after I adjusted 50 or 60 individual custom settings), but the Smarthub interface is an abomination. AppleTV is much better, and I suspect that if Apple bring out an actual TV, they will get the entire interface right.
post #107 of 161
Quote:

"3d - being pushed by Samsung and others is a massive degradation of screen quality. You can't compare 3D and HD. If quality was so important then Samsung would not push 3D. Actually 3D sucks and shows how little innovation is happening in the TV set manufacturing game - using gimmicks instead of genuine game changers..."

Except they're not. If you care to actually do some research you'll see that they're getting ready to launch Super OLED TV's and believe me, the picture quality will be impeccable.

Except they are. We have a Samsung 3D LED tv at work that we use for testing Blu-ray, 3D etc. the picture quality is terrible. It has an issue with edge doubling. Samsung at first refused to believe there was a problem, then once they conceded it existed issued us with firmware updates that only made it worse. Personally I will never buy a Samsung tv - recently I bought a Panasonic and I couldn't be happier.

This Samsung fellow is barking up the wrong tree. Apple don't need ten thousand people working on image quality - they have Sharp's people already doing that. I'm confident that sharp will produce screens for Apple that will be much better than Samsung's - considering that they already do so.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #108 of 161
Quote:

Samsung sounds scared. Why release a comment about a product they have not seen.

I have to agree. I'm not following the situation very closely (since I won't be in the tv market for a couple years barring incident), but it seems to me that I'm seeing a lot of press releases from Samsung lately regarding an Apple TV-given that no one's seen a spec sheet, let alone a product.
post #109 of 161
I have owned one Samsung TV. The POS lasted till the warranty expired. The repair would have been close to a thousand dollars. Purchased a Panasonic Plasma 54" about two years ago for a couple hundred more than what it would have cost to repair the Samsung POS. Will I ever purchase another Samsung? Absolutely not. Will I purchase an Apple branded TV? Absolutely.
post #110 of 161
I heard Samsung is coming out with transparent TVs similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=m5rlTrdF5Cs
post #111 of 161
Quote:

"Simplify the tv" LOL!

Are current TV's too difficult to use?

Yes.

post #112 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The basic controls seem fine, and on mine, the picture quality is very good (after I adjusted 50 or 60 individual custom settings), but the Smarthub interface is an abomination. AppleTV is much better, and I suspect that if Apple bring out an actual TV, they will get the entire interface right.

Mine don't have the smarthub feature, personally I don't think they should have that built into the TV, should be a separate device. And if Apple does release something, hopefully it is an improvement on ATV, I'm not a big fan of its interface
post #113 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Samsung has nothing to worry about. This is all speculation, guesswork and fantasy from Apple fanatics. No one would be silly enough to pay the Apple premium for a TV. This is just silly talk and Samsung is playing along for fun of course.

Reminds me of this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GkzIp67B66...46tdq8_210.jpg
post #114 of 161
Quote:

Yes, that's a load of bluster from them.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #115 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Mine don't have the smarthub feature, personally I don't think they should have that built into the TV, should be a separate device. And if Apple does release something, hopefully it is an improvement on ATV, I'm not a big fan of its interface

They certainly should be separate with the Samsung TV. If you are not impressed with the AppleTV interface you would hate the Smarthub.
post #116 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroshocked1 View Post

I have owned one Samsung TV. The POS lasted till the warranty expired. The repair would have been close to a thousand dollars. Purchased a Panasonic Plasma 54" about two years ago for a couple hundred more than what it would have cost to repair the Samsung POS. Will I ever purchase another Samsung? Absolutely not. Will I purchase an Apple branded TV? Absolutely.

People have bad experiences with lots of brands, I have had several Apple products fail, doesn't mean it happens to all of them.

Also, does your country not have consumer protection laws? It some countries if it was a manufacturing fault samsung still would have repaired it.
post #117 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But Moseley at Samsung said he believes that television sets are "ultimately about picture quality."

Mosley is right - and that's why I just bought a Philips instead of a Samsung
post #118 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post

Seems like my iPad and iPhone have nicer screens than their Samsung rivals.

That's certainly not my ownership assessment, given that my Galaxy Tab 10.1, 8.9 and Galaxy Nexus have much better contrast and color fidelity than either my iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S, with blacks so dark on my Galaxy Nexus as to barely be discernable from the screen's black border.

Sure... My IPhone edges out my Galaxy Nexus by 10 ppi in pixel density (far less than the advantage my Galaxy Tab 8.9 or 10.1 has over the iPad - BTW), but that's at the sacrifice of having a mere 3.5 inches of touchscreen real estate vs 4.65 inches, and in real-world use one can't tell the difference anyway.

I have little doubt that whatever Apple brings out for a TV, it''ll be very nice, but Samsung's definitely ahead of the game when it comes to display technology.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #119 of 161
Sorry if this has been said already ... This sounds like a parallel to RIM telling Apple they knew nothing about phones ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #120 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamh View Post

I don't expect that many Apple customers HAVE a VCR anymore.

Keywords were "used to"
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Samsung says an Apple television won't beat them in picture quality