or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's US Samsung lawsuit expands to 8 patents and names 17 products
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's US Samsung lawsuit expands to 8 patents and names 17 products - Page 2

post #41 of 82
I get the feeling this thread will turn into Picasa.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #42 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I think the president of LG said it too!

Actions speak louder than pathetic words and if they were so convinced by their own absurd delusions and they stand by what they say, then why don't they sue? They never have. Surely Apple with all of their cash is an attractive target for anybody, especially somebody who shoots their mouth off and believes that they have a case. They have nothing.
post #43 of 82
It's odd that Apple gets all their displays from LG. I wonder if a side deal was made.
post #44 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That isn't everyone's phone...

See, I don't have a problem with this phone from a legal standpoint. Nokia is at least trying to differ themselves from Apple's stuff -- add a little diversity to the pot, if you will. But Samsung's Galaxy phones.... they're blatant attempts to capitalize on the popularity of the iPhone. Hell, last Christmas my elderly mother's phone died on her, and my Dad nearly walked out of the AT&T store with a Galaxy because the storekeeper told him "It's just like an iPhone." It's obvious to everyone that the iPhone has been Samsung's greatest marketing tool.

I think certainly the original Galaxy (an especially the TouchWiz UI) mimicked Apple's trade dress in order to profit off the popularity of the iPhone.

The Galaxy Nexus is considerable different to the iPhone however. TouchWiz is nowhere to be seen, Android ICS is very different to iOS and the hardware is completely different as well.

I think that's why Apple is hitting Samsung with patents this time instead of the trade dress complaints.
post #45 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes style wise its similar to the Zune. Its a touchscreen phone/music player and it even had a front facing camera. Apple perfected the touchscreen phone but the technology was slowly progressing that way. Apple just gave it a swift kick. I'm not saying Samsung is completely innocent but it would've been in their best interest to continue the road they were on and avoid all these problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



You forget this was pre iPhone and there's still phones for sale now that look like the ones on the left.

Do you see that phone button on each of those devices? Apple made the phone jyst another app. Regardless of whether you think a single-touch resistive or capavtenxe touchscreen is exactly like the iPhone or not that phone button is a pinnacle difference pre ad post iPhone photos. That is important!

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #46 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Well then just buy them all and shut them down. Probably cheaper than paying the lawyers for years.

Nope. Google is worth over $100B and beside... it will never win regulatory approval anyway. As for Samsung, the South Korean Gov. will not allow any foreign company to own one of its own "ironic" company.
... my 2 cents ...
post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

See, I don't have a problem with this phone from a legal standpoint. Nokia is at least trying to differ themselves from Apple's stuff -- add a little diversity to the pot, if you will. But Samsung's Galaxy phones.... they're blatant attempts to capitalize on the popularity of the iPhone. Hell, last Christmas my elderly mother's phone died on her, and my Dad nearly walked out of the AT&T store with a Galaxy because the storekeeper told him "It's just like an iPhone." It's obvious to everyone that the iPhone has been Samsung's greatest marketing tool.

You mean the Nokia phones that look similar to the multi-color anodized iPods that came out a few years ago?
post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

You mean the Nokia phones that look similar to the multi-color anodized iPods that came out a few years ago?

I don't see Apple suing Samsung for making a remote control that looks like the iPhone 4 so I don't see Apple suing Nokia for making a smartphone that looks like a mini PMP.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #49 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

You mean the Nokia phones that look similar to the multi-color anodized iPods that came out a few years ago?

Only in your mind
post #50 of 82
Samsung had the one button design on their mp3 player before the iphone.
post #51 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

You mean the Nokia phones that look similar to the multi-color anodized iPods that came out a few years ago?

Sometimes it's possible to just see what you want to see...

post #52 of 82
The Galaxy S does look very much like the iPhone but it is not true to suggest that all phones looked like "soap on a rope" in the dark ages.



All of the above predate the iphone release. One even ran a full blown desktop OS, regretably it was the worst MS (vista) have ever inflicted on the public (admittedly although announced in march 2007 it was plagued by problems and released much later).
post #53 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And yes, dumbphones still exist, thankfully. I need to have something to update my existing phone to when it finally dies.

That brick of yours cannot die, those are the best! If it happens, check here:
http://www.retrobrick.com/
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune View Post

Samsung had the one button design on their mp3 player before the iphone.

My girlfriend has one button that turns her on - what's your point?
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That isn't everyone's phone...


Aaaarrrrggghhhhh! Those are hideous!

Only a moron would even consider getting one of those ugly POS THINGS.
post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune View Post

Then her pussy must be a copy of the iphone.

That's funny, but I see you're new so be careful with your language.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune View Post

I know but he deserved it, what kind of POS talks about his own girlfriend like that.

He definitely deserved it, I just think you could've worded it differently, and I'm sure he has no idea where her turn on button is anyways.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'm merely pointing out to those here not in the know that touchscreen although woefully lousy did exist before the iPhone.

The problem with the early resistive screens in the pre-iphone years was that the screens were so small that you had to use a stylus. This limitation was less obvious with the larger phones, eg the 6 inch screen of the HTC Athena allowed you to use your finger. TBH I am still surprised that capacitive blew resistive out of the water quite so comprehensively. Sure you could see the mesh in certain lights but not everyone wants to watch movies on their phone, there are still some of us that want to perform tasks that require a degree of accuracy.
post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Samsung's accessories have a RIDICULOUS similarity to those of Apple's. I mean, that USB cable.. really? That case.. really? It's almost as if they're purposely taunting Apple. There's no reason the USB connector has to be such a similar shape, and no other company has done this.

And the charger, the packaging, icons, the radius of corners, etc, etc
post #60 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You forget this was pre iPhone and there's still phones for sale now that look like the ones on the left.

Prada was released before iPhone but iPhone design patents predate Prada design.
post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post

Prada was released before iPhone but iPhone design patents predate Prada design.

Very interesting. Do you have links? Maybe that's why LG never sued.
post #62 of 82
Why are we talking about Samsung devices's physical look and feel when Apple's lawsuits are all based on Android / software patents?

It doesn't seem like Apple has much of a case based on hardware design or look.
post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post


Prada was released before iPhone but iPhone design patents predate Prada design.

And let's be clear... the original iPhone looked nothing like the Prada anyway... except for the fact that they both had a capacitive touchscreen.

Just because the Prada had a release date before the iPhone's release date... does anyone really think Apple spent 2.5 years on the iPhone and at the last minute they decided to (loosely) mimic the Prada?

post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And let's be clear... the original iPhone looked nothing like the Prada anyway... except for the fact that they both had a capacitive touchscreen.

Just because the Prada had a release date before the iPhone's release date... does anyone really think Apple spent 2.5 years on the iPhone and at the last minute they decided to (loosely) mimic the Prada?

image: http://i.imgur.com/6al2D.jpg

Besides the Prada having no pinch/zoom and other highly important features to the iPhone because it came with multitouch out of the gate there is one huge reason the iPhone changed the game and the Prada didn't and it's right there on the front. It's that phone button. Before the iPhone all phones had a dedicated phone button but after the iPhone (allowing for time for competitors to switch up their product cycles) they all made the phone just another app among apps.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Besides the Prada having no pinch/zoom and other highly important features to the iPhone because it came with multitouch out of the gate there is one huge reason the iPhone changed the game and the Prada didn't and it's right there on the front. It's that phone button. Before the iPhone all phones had a dedicated phone button but after the iPhone (allowing for time for competitors to switch up their product cycles) they all made the phone just another app among apps.

That just isn't true.
Edit ie the whole press to dial, press to hang up had been depreciated on certain handsets. There was no pinch to zoom but shortly after the iPhone some units used the iconic B&O dial as a way of zooming in and our
post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

That just isn't true.

Then make a case as to how the Prada was multitouch and how that isn't a HW phone button on the device that has a picture of a phone on the button.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you see that phone button on each of those devices? Apple made the phone jyst another app. Regardless of whether you think a single-touch resistive or capavtenxe touchscreen is exactly like the iPhone or not that phone button is a pinnacle difference pre ad post iPhone photos. That is important!

LOL

Picking straws. Pathetic.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That brick of yours cannot die, those are the best! If it happens, check here:
http://www.retrobrick.com/

Stupid StarTAC living longer than Castro lol
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCupertinoMDN View Post

Nope. Google is worth over $100B and beside... it will never win regulatory approval anyway. As for Samsung, the South Korean Gov. will not allow any foreign company to own one of its own "ironic" company.
... my 2 cents ...

Samsung is already owned by 51+% foreigners - Citi being the largest shareholder.
post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post

Prada was released before iPhone but iPhone design patents predate Prada design.

Do they predate the prada design, or the prada release. two seperate comparisons. When did LG initiate the touch screne design work (first to invent is a wonderful variability in patent law worldwide)
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Do they predate the prada design, or the prada release. two seperate comparisons. When did LG initiate the touch screne design work (first to invent is a wonderful variability in patent law worldwide)

There's absolutely no way the iPhone is in any way a copy of anything LG did on the Prada.

The Prada UI, on the other hand

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Do they predate the prada design, or the prada release. two seperate comparisons. When did LG initiate the touch screne design work (first to invent is a wonderful variability in patent law worldwide)

They didn't invent the capacitance display. It had been used before. LG was simply the first to ship one in a phone. But that's not what is up for question. LG had made no effort to make their phone exceptionally great. There wasn't even dual-touch capability which mean that none of the effort that Apple put into iOS was there. No pinch, zoom, inertia scrolling, etc. Oh yeah, Apple bought Fingerworks in April 2005 for its PATENTS.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They didn't invent the capacitance display. It had been used before. LG was simply the first to ship one in a phone. But that's not what is up for question. LG had made no effort to make their phone exceptionally great. There wasn't even dual-touch capability which mean that none of the effort that Apple put into iOS was there. No pinch, zoom, inertia scrolling, etc. Oh yeah, Apple bought Fingerworks in April 2005 for its PATENTS.

AAAAAAAnd the Prada's cost was almost twice as much. Cost more. Did less. DOA.
post #74 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

AAAAAAAnd the Prada's cost was almost twice as much. Cost more. Did less. DOA.

The original iPhone was $599 for 8GB as I recall. How much was the LG Prada

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #75 of 82
Google already has a patent for this

http://www.directoryinventor.com/inv..._LeBeau_1.html

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then make a case as to how the Prada was multitouch and how that isn't a HW phone button on the device that has a picture of a phone on the button.

Hi SolipsismX

I phrased my point badly. I was trying to point out that the iPhone was not the first to remove the hardware phone button from the front of the unit. The HTC Athena had buttons on the front but not for dialing.



To the best of my knowledge (OS aside) the only thing that differentiated the iphone from it's successors was the capacitive multitouch screen. Whilst multitouch capacitive had existed for years it was the first time it had been used in a phone

Having checked my facts I remove my point about HW zoom scroll wheels, this was much later than I had initially thought
post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The original iPhone was $599 for 8GB as I recall. How much was the LG Prada

According to

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/18/l...hone-says-wha/

the Prada was $778, not sure if that includes taxes or not.
post #78 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Hi SolipsismX

I phrased my point badly. I was trying to point out that the iPhone was not the first to remove the hardware phone button from the front of the unit. The HTC Athena had buttons on the front but not for dialing.


That monstrosity had phone capabilities but it was a pocket PC not a smartphone. Just look at how huge that thing is. There were plenty of thee devices that weren't phones but contained ways to make calls because they connected to a cellular network. Most vendors simply don't understand that it's not what you add but what you don't add.

Here isn't view to show how this was not a smartphone but a cellular connected PDA.

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge (OS aside) the only thing that differentiated the iphone from it's successors was the capacitive multitouch screen. Whilst multitouch capacitive had existed for years it was the first time it had been used in a phone

Having checked my facts I remove my point about HW zoom scroll wheels, this was much later than I had initially thought

Name one multi-touch capacitance touchscreen device?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

According to

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/18/l...hone-says-wha/

the Prada was $778, not sure if that includes taxes or not.

The Prada 3.0 looks to be coming in between $650 to $750 when converting to USD. There is nothing special about the HW or SW except that it looks to be made well and that its specs do put it in range to get ICS up from Android 2.3 that ships with.

What's really baffling about that price is that it's still at 8GB. That original iPhone shipped with 8GB as the most desired option and 5 years later that's what LG pushes for the Prada. I can't see why anyone would want the Prada 3.0 over other Android-based devices that can do a lot more for a lot less.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #80 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Do they predate the prada design, or the prada release. two seperate comparisons. When did LG initiate the touch screne design work (first to invent is a wonderful variability in patent law worldwide)

The earliest touch screens were capacitive, invented in the 60's by the Royal Radar Establishment. In the old days you just invented things and got on with it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's US Samsung lawsuit expands to 8 patents and names 17 products