or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

post #1 of 274
Apple on Thursday announced Mac OS X 10.8, dubbed "Mountain Lion," the next major release of its Mac operating system, set to launch on the Mac App Store this summer, with a preview now available for Mac developers.

A developer preview of the forthcoming operating system update was released to developers on Thursday, and Apple has boasted that Mountain Lion packs over 100 new features, including many brought from the iPad and iOS mobile operating system.

"The Mac is on a roll, growing faster than the PC for 23 straight quarters, and with Mountain Lion things get even better," said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "The developer preview of Mountain Lion comes just seven months after the incredibly successful release of Lion and sets a rapid pace of development for the world’s most advanced personal computer operating system."

What's new

New features introduced with Mountain Lion include Messages, which replaces iChat, as well as Notes, Reminders and Game Center for the mac. In addition, Mountain Lion will also feature Notification Center, Share Sheets, Twitter integration, and AirPlay Mirroring.

Mountain Lion will also be the first OS X release with iCloud for easy setup and integration with applications. The developer preview also includes Gatekeeper, which helps keep users safe from malicious software by giving control over what applications are installed on a Mac.

The preview of Mountain Lion is available to Mac Developer Program members starting Thursday. Mac users will be able to buy the upgrade from the Mac App Store in late summer 2012.

Bringing more of iOS to Mac OS

An in-depth preview of Mountain Lion was provided by Jim Dalrymple at The Loop who has had his hands on a copy of Mountain Lion for the past week. He said that the latest operating system is "packed with new features that existing Mac users and iOS users will enjoy."

"If there was a theme in Mountain Lion, I'd have to say it's familiarity," he wrote. "Apple brought many new features into the new operating system from IOS, so millions of users will recognize the names of the apps and features."

One of the biggest changes is the replacement of iChat with Messages. And starting Thursday, users can get their hands on the new Messages application in its beta form.

Messages allows users to chat with others based on their Apple ID, just like with iOS. It also connects with regular chat services like AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk and others.

iCloud, Reminders, Notes, AirPlay and Twitter

Mountain Lion also features tighter integration with iCloud, connecting it with Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Messages, FaceTime, Notes, Reminders, Game Center, the Mac App Store, Documents & Data, and Bookmarks. By simply entering an iCloud user ID and password, users will have many features automatically set up for them on their new Mac.

Mountain Lion also brings Notification Center from iOS to the Mac. It can be accessed by choosing a circle button on the top right of the screen. With a gesture of two fingers sliding from the right edge, the Notification Center can be pulled from the right side of the screen.

Reminders and Notes will help users create and track to-do lists across all of their devices. And Game Center lets users personalize their Mac gaming experience, find new games and challenge friends to play live multiplayer games, whether on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

AirPlay Mirroring is also coming to the Mac, allowing users to wirelessly send a secure 720p video stream of what's on their Mac to an HDTV using Apple TV.

New Twitter integration also allows users to sign in once and tweet directly from Safari, Quick Look, Photo Booth, Preview, and third-party applications. The new system-wide Share Sheets also makes it easy to share links, photos and videos directly from Apple and third-party applications.

Enhanced support for developers, Chinese users

Mountain Lion also features enhanced support for Chinese users, including the option to select Baidu search in Safari. It also sports "significant enhancements" to the Chinese input method, Apple said, along with connectivity for Contacts, Mail and Calendar through top e-mail service providers QQ, 126 and 163, and Share Sheets connectivity with Youku and Toudou.

For developers, there are hundreds of new APIs that allow access to core technologies and enhanced features in OS X. The new Game Kit APIs tap into the same services as Game Center on iOS, allowing developers to create cross-platform multiplayer games for iOS and Mac. There's also a new graphics infrastructure underpinning OpenGL and OpenCL and implementing GLKit, first introduced in iOS 5, making it easier to create OpenGL apps.

Also found in Mountain Lion are enhanced multi-touch APIs that give developers double-tap zoom support and access to the system-wide lookup gesture. Additionally, kernel ASLR improves security through enhanced migration against buffer overflow attacks.

Pricing on Mountain Lion has not yet been announced, but the new operating system will only be available via the Mac App Store.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 274
Didn't expect a full .x update so quickly, but the iCloud integration and the Messages app sound particularly awesome! :-)
post #3 of 274
This is unexpected. I thought we would have heard something prior to its announcement.
Anyway, I'm totally stoked for Game Centre on the Mac.
post #4 of 274
So its going to be a snow leopard styled release, fine with me. Will certainly disrupt any hype over the next version of windows!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #5 of 274
So that's a load of features I don't need. But is it going to work faster and more reliably?
post #6 of 274
I decided to hold off on 10.7 because the new feature list was long enough to hint at bugs and incompatibilities. This may be the one to go for. I'll be watching for reviews and bug reports.

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

Philip Machanick creator of Opinionations and Green Grahamstown
Department of Computer Science, Rhodes University, South Africa

post #7 of 274
Damn that's quick.
post #8 of 274
Here's what you'll see when you go to download it:

Our apologies but there was an unexpected error with the application. This problem has been noted, and an email has been sent to the administrators. Please check back in a few hours to try the download again.

Doesn't really sound like Apple, does it?
post #9 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Damn that's quick.

Summer lasts through September 21st, so it will probably be half a year+ until release.
post #10 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Our apologies but there was an unexpected error with the application. This problem has been noted, and an email has been sent to the administrators. Please check back in a few hours to try the download again.

I would expect that link won't be active until at least 11 AM EST/8 AM PST...once the business day begins on the West Coast. It may be even later today, as such.
post #11 of 274
Based on some of these features, I'm more convinced than ever that there is an 'iTV' coming for Christmas.
post #12 of 274
Wow, looks like I better hurry in upgrading everything to Lion!

Any mention of Core2Duo support?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #13 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Summer lasts through September 21st, so it will probably be half a year until release.

True, but it was two years between leopard and snow leopard and more than two years between SL and lion. So less than a year between these two? Pretty quick.
post #14 of 274
Im a bit confused on how GateKeeper is ment to work?

Is it solely in the UI or is it done in the security level of the OS? As I see, why can't we just go and launch a binary from Terminal, will that require a certificate too?

Psst, I hope Bash has a certificate.
post #15 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

IMHO that message is most likely as a result of a poor or slow internet connection your end be it literally your end or your ISP in general (such as contention ratios). I have never failed to be able to download even the largest offerings during peak demand (i.e. shortly after a release such as Lion) without issue and cannot see any other reason than the great connection I am lucky enough to have from FiOS which peaks at around 31 Mb/s and never flickers. If it were Apple's servers I'd also see the same problem one would think.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #16 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Based on some of these features, I'm more convinced than ever that there is an 'iTV' coming for Christmas.

With that name, only after Apple buys the UK, some would have us believe

(just kidding)
post #17 of 274
Quote:

Damn that's quick.

Indeed it was. There was a 2 1/2 year span between Tiger and Leopard where Apple indicated that they were going to slow the release cycle down (considering they were working on iOS and the iPhone, you understand why). Now it seems to be accelerating again with Lion only getting a year in the sun before it becomes the previous generation OS. There are still a lot of people on Snow Leopard right now so I have to wonder about Apple's policy about only supporting two OSes with security updates.

iOS and Mac OS get even tighter integration and this speaks to Apple's overall strategy to have iOS based on the same Cocoa/Darwin bones as the desktop OS. It's getting easier for Apple and their programming tools to transfer technology from one to the other. We all benefit from that as users.

And "Mountain Lion"? Really? When I first heard it, I thought it was a joke. That makes three Apple OS releases that are basically the same animal (Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion).
post #18 of 274
Will iBooks be coming to the new system????
post #19 of 274
Yearly major releases from here on in, according to Gruber. @c.$30 a pop, I don't mind at all.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #20 of 274
John Gruber got a private one-on-one preview from Phil Schiller just over a week ago:

http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion
post #21 of 274
Hi apple Insider,
I guess new software means new hardware accordingly. Most likely the new iMac and Macbook will be introduced just before (including free issue new OS) or after the summer holidays, containing newest processors of intel's Ivy bridge platform
Unfortunately for all the people looking forward to buy a new macbook or iMac in the next few months.. (which was in line with previous years revamps iMac)
post #22 of 274
Cook talked about the halo effect from the iPhone being much stronger than the iPod's ever was. This OSX update is going to drive a HUGE halo effect. The driver of the halo effect won't change, but the back end conversion rate will.

Once the person is driven into an Apple store by the "this device is awesome -- I want to see what else they make", having all these familiar apps and features (messages, reminders and notification center are probably the biggest in this regard) is going to be incredibly compelling.

Great news for shareholders.
post #23 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

And "Mountain Lion"? Really? When I first heard it, I thought it was a joke. That makes three Apple OS releases that are basically the same animal (Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion).

Pretty much. What's next? West Texas Mountain Lion?
post #24 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Wow, looks like I better hurry in upgrading everything to Lion!

That's the big question. Apple historically orphans old Macs when a new release comes out. Lion demanded Core 2 Duo support which begins in 2007 for iMacs and Macbooks and were shipped in Mac Minis as late as the first half of last year. So that cannot be criteria if Apple wants to drop support for older machines.

My wife has a Macbook Pro 15" Santa Rosa from mid-2007. That machine began its life on Tiger, moved to Leopard, Snow Leopard and now Lion. After a recent motherboard swap due to the Nvidia graphics card issue, it's basically a young machine again. I was thinking of even dropping an SSD in it since the hard drive is still stock. But I have to re-evaluate that if Apple choses to drop current OS support for it.
post #25 of 274
Maybe my memory is not so good, but did Steve Jobs not say that they were done with cat names? Someone straighten me out.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #26 of 274
Quote:

[S] Well, you can be sure that Apple won't have an East Texas (district) anything [/S]! \
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #27 of 274
Totally awesome! Yeah, this should go great with my new 15" MacBook Air!
post #28 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslice View Post

I would expect it to be added before release. You have to keep in mind that they have to make a deal with publishers to allow this.
post #29 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRid View Post

So that's a load of features I don't need. But is it going to work faster and more reliably?

Eh, I'm a bit underwhelmed too. Nothing here really enhances my daily use cases. It would be nice if they spent time overhauling iTunes, Safari, Finder, network drive mounting, or Mac OS Server. iTunes badly needs a major update. Hopefully they will at least add Siri.

It would be great if OSX apps could communicate and sync with your iPhone. Want to plan a trip to NY? Do it on your iPad or laptop and have the plan sync with Maps on your phone. They should come up with a way for 3rd party apps to communicate and sync too so your trip can be sent to the TomTom app or Navigon. Siri also needs to be able to communicate with 3rd party apps and this should be done on OSX and iOS all synced between all your devices. Ask Siri to add a reminder on your laptop and it should remind you on your iPhone too.
post #30 of 274
Pretty soon (usually released bi-annually), BUT, this really seems cool. I'm more excited about iCloud document integration, Messages, Notes, Reminders and Notification Centre. I just wish they'd update the iWork and iLife series to go with it.

It appears as though Apple doesn't want too many conferences at once (Education event in January, iPad 3 in March), they'll probably go through it further at either the iOS Software Event or the WWDC.
post #31 of 274
Quote:

Reading books using a Mac doesn't make sense to me, but because of education it'll probably happen eventually.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #32 of 274
I know this is splitting hairs....

But Apple does know that the Puma and the Mountain Lion are the same animal, right?
post #33 of 274
Happy I skipped Lion now. Honestly, I thought Apple would just tack on these features to Lion...but a new OS...seems like they might be feeling the heat from MS (since 8 is like the first hype worthy OS in like a decade from them).

But loving how Apple's products are being connected more.
post #34 of 274
http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

"OS X is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule."
post #35 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Ask Siri to add a reminder on your laptop and it should remind you on your iPhone too.

Actually, this should work in the reverse. As 10.8 will feature Reminders and Notification Center all tied to your Apple ID via iCloud, if you ask Siri to create a reminder for you on your iPhone, it should also add it to your Reminders on 10.8, no?
post #36 of 274
A hybrid OSX + iOS...wouldn't Liger have been a more suitable name? Anyway, whatever name it is, these are the features I've been waiting for. Man I love Apple.
post #37 of 274
I think we all knew that Apple would eventually push most of the best features from iOS to Mac OS X but the adoption is amazingly rapid.

We have been asking for many of these features! Thank you, Apple!
  • iCloud setup of the Mac? Check!
  • Documents in the Cloud needs improved (or any at all) integration? Check!
  • Notification Center on the Mac? (Watch out, Growl)
  • Global sharing integration (Sharing Sheets)? Check!
  • Messages on the Mac? Check!
  • Notes on the Mac? Check!
  • Notes actually becoming useful (supports photos, attachments, bullets and links too)? Check! (Watch out, Evernote)
  • Reminders on the Mac? Check!
  • AirPlay Mirroring on the Mac? Check!

Now (or soon at least) that people will be able to have a computer, smartphone, tablet and television that are well integrated there is no justification for purchasing a computer from a different manufacturer.

Apple will now compete with Game Consoles:
  • A new graphics infrastructure underpinning OpenGL and OpenCL and implementing GLKit, first introduced in iOS 5, making it easier to create OpenGL apps.
  • Game Center lets users personalize their Mac gaming experience, find new games and challenge friends to play live multiplayer games, whether on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
  • AirPlay Mirroring is also coming to the Mac, allowing users to wirelessly send a secure 720p video stream of what's on their Mac to an HDTV using Apple TV.

Anyone else believe that this is not only an excellent move for the Mac by capitalizing on Apple's current strengthens but also sets up many features that are desirable in an AppleTV?
post #38 of 274
Quote:

Well, technically a "panther" can refer to many cats, including the leopard or jaguar in Africa and Asia.

Of course, this doesn't really defeat your argument, as each of those has also been used as OS release names
post #39 of 274
Quote:

How about Cougar, and then Lynx?
post #40 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Why wouldn't there be?

Quote:

I highly doubt it. HIGHLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens View Post

Most likely the new iMac and Macbook will be introduced just before (including free issue new OS) or after the summer holidays, containing newest processors of intel's Ivy bridge platform

NO WAY! All of the Ivy Bridge updates to the Mac line should be out long before 10.8 hits.

Quote:

That's the big question. Apple historically orphans old Macs when a new release comes out. Lion demanded Core 2 Duo support which begins in 2007 for iMacs and Macbooks and were shipped in Mac Minis as late as the first half of last year. So that cannot be criteria if Apple wants to drop support for older machines.

But what's the point? There's really nothing physically stopping Core 2 machines from running it.

Personally, I'm a little bothered by how fast this came. It seems to me they'd want to kill as much time as possible before they hit OS XI so that development can properly get done. I still expect a paradigm shifting multitouch desktop computer platform with that, not some jacked up "oh, we added a multitouch screen to the exact same desktop OS everyone's already using" crap.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features