or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features - Page 2

post #41 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

That's the big question. Apple historically orphans old Macs when a new release comes out. Lion demanded Core 2 Duo support which begins in 2007 for iMacs and Macbooks and were shipped in Mac Minis as late as the first half of last year. So that cannot be criteria if Apple wants to drop support for older machines.

Lion works just fine on my 2006 Core2Duo MacBook 2,1 :b
post #42 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Actually, this should work in the reverse. As 10.8 will feature Reminders and Notification Center all tied to your Apple ID via iCloud, if you ask Siri to create a reminder for you on your iPhone, it should also add it to your Reminders on 10.8, no?

Sure, I think it should work both ways. Siri should also integrate with 3rd party apps and they should also be able to sync both ways between OSX and iOS devices.

I do think that Gatekeeper is a good security architecture update. Though I hope Apple makes it easy enough to allow non app store apps to be installed where average users can do it. If you have to do some complex ctrl-option-apple clicking to open downloaded apps or a hard to find setting option, it's going to put the hurt on people trying to distribute apps outside of the store.
post #43 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I think we all knew that Apple would eventually push most of the best features from iOS to Mac OS X but the adoption is amazingly rapid.

We have been asking for many of these features! Thank you, Apple!
  • iCloud setup of the Mac? Check!
  • Documents in the Cloud needs improved (or any at all) integration? Check!
  • Notification Center on the Mac? (Watch out, Growl)
  • Global sharing integration (Sharing Sheets)? Check!
  • Messages on the Mac? Check!
  • Notes on the Mac? Check!
  • Notes actually becoming useful (supports photos, attachments, bullets and links too)? Check! (Watch out, Evernote)
  • Reminders on the Mac? Check!
  • AirPlay Mirroring on the Mac? Check!

Now (or soon at least) that people will be able to have a computer, smartphone, tablet and television that are well integrated there is no justification for purchasing a computer from a different manufacturer.

Apple will now compete with Game Consoles:
  • A new graphics infrastructure underpinning OpenGL and OpenCL and implementing GLKit, first introduced in iOS 5, making it easier to create OpenGL apps.
  • Game Center lets users personalize their Mac gaming experience, find new games and challenge friends to play live multiplayer games, whether on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
  • AirPlay Mirroring is also coming to the Mac, allowing users to wirelessly send a secure 720p video stream of what's on their Mac to an HDTV using Apple TV.


Anyone else believe that this is not only an excellent move for the Mac by capitalizing on Apple's current strengthens but also sets up many features that are desirable in an AppleTV?

I agree. But for AirPlay Mirroring to truly work, they need to eliminate the ever-present-but-slight lag. It makes playing a game in real time awkward. I'm guessing AirPlay Mirroring functions similarly to AirPlay in that the receiving device actually "pulls" the content from the hosting device (it does the heavy lifting). In that case, perhaps the AppleTV (and potential television) will incorporate the A6 and solve these problems.

The other theory I have is that 802.11n is not robust enough to offer true 1:1 real-time mirroring, but I have no way of knowing. Apple is working on a new wireless standard, though...
post #44 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

It would be great if OSX apps could communicate and sync with your iPhone. Want to plan a trip to NY? Do it on your iPad or laptop and have the plan sync with Maps on your phone. They should come up with a way for 3rd party apps to communicate and sync too so your trip can be sent to the TomTom app or Navigon. Siri also needs to be able to communicate with 3rd party apps and this should be done on OSX and iOS all synced between all your devices.

good idea but i think they will come up with these kind of things once they launch their own maps service on Mac, iPhone and iPad…

Quote:
Ask Siri to add a reminder on your laptop and it should remind you on your iPhone too.

i wish they launch siri for all apple devices (macs, iPad 2 and iPhone 4)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
post #45 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

How about Cougar

Would that be released when OS X has grown a bit long in the tooth but is still trying to go after younger users?
post #46 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

John Gruber got a private one-on-one preview from Phil Schiller just over a week ago:

http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

More to the point:

Quote:
Mountain Lion is not a step towards a single OS that powers both the Mac and iPad, but rather another in a series of steps toward defining a set of shared concepts, styles, and principles between two fundamentally distinct OSes.
post #47 of 274
They should FIX THE EFFING ADDRESS BOOK!
post #48 of 274
"enhanced migration against buffer overflow attacks" -- folks, the word you are looking for is "mitigation".

While we are looking at dictionaries:

Synonyms for cougar: mountain lion, puma, panther, painter, or catamount.

puma (10.1) and panther (10.3) are taken.
So 10.9 will be catamount and 10.10 painter?

I don't think they can use cougar...
(informal) an older woman seeking a sexual relationship with a younger man.
:-)
post #49 of 274
Wow. Totally out of left field. Way to go Apple. No one saw this coming. I'm impressed.

And a Messages beta to boot. Schweet
post #50 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

"OS X — is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule."

By iOS-esque I hope he means price too. The last OS X upgrade cost $29. iOS upgrades don't cost a thing.
post #51 of 274
What's that icon where Spotlight used to be?
post #52 of 274
Ready for the big question?

...Are you sure you're ready?

...Here goes...

...dum-da-dum-dum... Rimshot!

...OK, next time...

...dum-da-dum-dum... Rimshot!

...OK, this time for sure...

...Will it have a Metro UI?

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #53 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

By iOS-esque I hope he means price too. The last OS X upgrade cost $29. iOS upgrades don't cost a thing.

Highly doubt it. Apple can make IOS free on a yearly basis because consumers are buying phones on a yearly basis ( as in ppl are buying much more phones per year than Macs).
Also, the demand for a new OS is low. Meaning many may op-out (much like they did with Lion) of getting this OS. Apple needs to make up this lose by charging.

Saying that, I don't thinks its impossible to have a free OS upgrade for Mac. Especially if it's small upgrades...
post #54 of 274
Wow, still only 720p. Sad.
post #55 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They should FIX THE EFFING ADDRESS BOOK!

What's wrong with it?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #56 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Pretty much. What's next? West Texas Mountain Lion?

Nittany Lion perhaps?
post #57 of 274
Superficially, I'm all about the speedy, steady updates from Apple. Now that they don't have to ship a box of software/OS, they can be much more regular and cheaper, and that's great...

BUT

not to re-open the whole issue of creative professionals feeling a bit stranded, but it usually takes a good 6 - 8 months for an operating system to get its bugs ironed out and become stable. It usually takes developers that long to update their apps or plug-ins to work with said OS. I use Final Cut (7 and X... will 7 no longer work in Mountain Lion??). I use Logic as my primary recording software, but what about all my instrument plug-ins and effects? Some of them haven't even been modified to work for Lion yet (I still run Snow Leopard), so I was waiting a bit longer. And now, a new OS in a few months.

So, with this constant cycle of a whole new OS every year, will there ever be a "stable" operating system which has been given a chance to mature before a new one washes it away, and how the hell will developers be able to keep their plugins, etc updated on such a continuous cycle (considering the past)? I hope it's not as doomy as I think it is.
post #58 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Wow, still only 720p. Sad.

I think this is going to change this year. I'm sure with the release of their TV it'll basically be like the current Apple TV. With the rumors going around that Apple is working on a faster Wi-Fi connection, 1080p should be around the corner.
post #59 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So its going to be a snow leopard styled release, fine with me. Will certainly disrupt any hype over the next version of windows!

This isn't at all a, "snow leopard style release." Snow Leopard was a rearchitecting of much of the core OS with few new user facing features. This is a bunch of new user facing features on the foundation that was Snow Leopard.
post #60 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalwaub3 View Post

(informal) an older woman seeking a sexual relationship with a younger man.
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Rimshot!

What is this thread coming to??
post #61 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Damn that's quick.

Not surprising given that the new OS consists majorly in porting iOS features to the Macintosh. Or so the corresponding Apple page lets me think. This leaves me totally indifferent since I don't own an i-device.

Only thing that I find interesting is the new security policy. It seems OK on paper but we will see what it gives in practice.
post #62 of 274
So much for the stupid, "Lion will be the last version of OS X," meme. Apple just put a bullet in that meme's head.
post #63 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandcapture View Post

Superficially, I'm all about the speedy, steady updates from Apple. Now that they don't have to ship a box of software/OS, they can be much more regular and cheaper, and that's great...

BUT

not to re-open the whole issue of creative professionals feeling a bit stranded, but it usually takes a good 6 - 8 months for an operating system to get its bugs ironed out and become stable. It usually takes developers that long to update their apps or plug-ins to work with said OS. I use Final Cut (7 and X... will 7 no longer work in Mountain Lion??). I use Logic as my primary recording software, but what about all my instrument plug-ins and effects? Some of them haven't even been modified to work for Lion yet (I still run Snow Leopard), so I was waiting a bit longer. And now, a new OS in a few months.

So, with this constant cycle of a whole new OS every year, will there ever be a "stable" operating system which has been given a chance to mature before a new one washes it away, and how the hell will developers be able to keep their plugins, etc updated on such a continuous cycle (considering the past)? I hope it's not as doomy as I think it is.

I'm guessing the OS infrastructure will remain the same. The updates will probably be "on-top" of what the OS is already doing. I can't imagine Apple being that stupid to start fresh every year.
post #64 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Nittany Lion perhaps?

The Nittany Lion is just a mountain lion who makes its home on Mount Nittany
post #65 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

By iOS-esque I hope he means price too. The last OS X upgrade cost $29. iOS upgrades don't cost a thing.

I don't think it will be free but I would not be surprised if it was cheaper than Lion, since this is essentially an iOS-feature port.
post #66 of 274
I am particularly interested in the intersection of iCloud and the Pro apps -- especially FCP X.

Scenario: At an event in the field:

1) capture with iPhone or camera

2) ingest into iPad for first edit/rough cut

3) simultaneously send source media to iCloud

4) publish rough cut to...

5) simultaneously edit pro cut on Mac from source on iCloud

6) publish pro cut to...

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #67 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

That's the big question. Apple historically orphans old Macs when a new release comes out. Lion demanded Core 2 Duo support which begins in 2007 for iMacs and Macbooks and were shipped in Mac Minis as late as the first half of last year. So that cannot be criteria if Apple wants to drop support for older machines.

Lion dropped support for the original Core Duo because those weren't really 64-bit. Core 2 Duo is, and will continue to be supported for quite a while.
post #68 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't think it will be free but I would not be surprised if it was cheaper than Lion, since this is essentially an iOS-feature port.

Funny how Lion has now become "expensive".

Folks, it's $29. For a desktop OS. What do you want, $19? $9? $0.99?
post #69 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Folks, it's $29. For a desktop OS. What do you want, $19? $9? $0.99?

Personally I don't care; I was just replying to the other poster.
post #70 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalwaub3 View Post

"enhanced migration against buffer overflow attacks" -- folks, the word you are looking for is "mitigation".

While we are looking at dictionaries:

Synonyms for cougar: mountain lion, puma, panther, painter, or catamount.

puma (10.1) and panther (10.3) are taken.
So 10.9 will be catamount and 10.10 painter?

I don't think they can use cougar...
(informal) an older woman seeking a sexual relationship with a younger man.
:-)

LOL. White Tiger and Wild Cat are still available...

I hope they ditch the cats already. Birds of Prey maybe...
post #71 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

I do think that Gatekeeper is a good security architecture update. Though I hope Apple makes it easy enough to allow non app store apps to be installed where average users can do it. If you have to do some complex ctrl-option-apple clicking to open downloaded apps or a hard to find setting option, it's going to put the hurt on people trying to distribute apps outside of the store.

putting he hurt on non MAS developers is the whole point... under the guise of security. I'm a bit upset with it at the moment because its going to play major havoc with people making Wineskin apps. I can register and get Wineskin Winery and Wineskin.app config an ok, but none of the apps people make with it will be, and will be super annoying to people trying to port programs for personal use, or share wrappers with other people.
post #72 of 274
Wow I wasn't expecting this news so soon and so silently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #73 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

Lion dropped support for the original Core Duo because those weren't really 64-bit. Core 2 Duo is, and will continue to be supported for quite a while.

Wrong

As we suggested might happen in our Lion review, Mountain Lion's developer preview appears to do away with support for any Mac that cannot boot into OS X's 64-bit kernel. I'll link you to that page of our Lion review again if you'd like deep technical information about what that means, but the short version is that a wide range of Apple's products from 2007 and 2008 are being dropped regardless of whether they include a Core 2 Duo processor. The list of supported Macs includes:

iMac (mid 2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

The cutoff happens in different places for different products, but here are some rules of thumb: if your Mac uses the ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card or the Intel GMA 950/X3100 integrated graphics chips, you're out of luck. If you're got a white iMac or one of the very first Mac Pros, you're out of luck.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5544/a...n-lion-preview
post #74 of 274
This is probably obvious to many of you who are developers, but I didn't understand it until I started developing for iOS last year: many of the most important "features" in a new version of an OS invisible to end-users, they are new APIs and capabilities given to developers. This is more obvious on the iOS side (since it's a younger, more evolving OS) but it still applies to OS X. I don't know how many times I've installed a new OS and been underwhelmed. The only things you see are the new apps and new eye candy. You don't see the capabilities that the OS gives to developers to make better apps.

For example, this iCloud stuff. When you upgrade to Mountain Lion on day one, you you'll notice a few things--the stuff the Apple apps implement, but the real impact will be when third parties roll out the apps that incorporate this.

As I said, this is no-brainer stuff to many of you, but it's not necessarily obvious if you don't develop applications.
post #75 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

Lion dropped support for the original Core Duo because those weren't really 64-bit. Core 2 Duo is, and will continue to be supported for quite a while.

Agree. The last duo cores came out less than 2 years ago, no way they're dropping support for those.
post #76 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am particularly interested in the intersection of iCloud and the Pro apps -- especially FCP X.

Scenario: At an event in the field:

1) capture with iPhone or camera

2) ingest into iPad for first edit/rough cut

3) simultaneously send source media to iCloud

4) publish rough cut to...

5) simultaneously edit pro cut on Mac from source on iCloud

6) publish pro cut to...


Sounds to me like you'd want integration with iMovie then. No format with a data rate low enough to be able to beam that fast would be anything close to a pro format. Besides they've already got iMovie for iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #77 of 274
hold on Apple, I just got Leopard for my imac g5!

10.9 will be named Kitten
10.10 will be named LOLcat.
post #78 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

Wrong

As we suggested might happen in our Lion review, Mountain Lion's developer preview appears to do away with support for any Mac that cannot boot into OS X's 64-bit kernel.

And all Core 2 Duos can boot into a 64-bit kernel. So if they're dropping support for some Macs that happened to ship with a Core 2 Duo, then they are doing it for a different reason.
post #79 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

putting he hurt on non MAS developers is the whole point... under the guise of security. I'm a bit upset with it at the moment because its going to play major havoc with people making Wineskin apps. I can register and get Wineskin Winery and Wineskin.app config an ok, but none of the apps people make with it will be, and will be super annoying to people trying to port programs for personal use, or share wrappers with other people.

I think Gatekeeper is a feature to developers who go through the approval process of the Mac App Store. It gives consumers an outlet that is even more reliable option (ie. shopping at the Apple Store vs. Craigslist). The option to make apps and distribute them out of the App Store is still available, but it's looking a lot less desirable now...
post #80 of 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Apple will now compete with Game Consoles:
[*]Game Center lets users personalize their Mac gaming experience, find new games and challenge friends to play live multiplayer games, whether on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

And when the WiiU comes out late this year, Apple will actually have a single competitor in this space.

I dare say… Apple is doing what the Big Three consoles have refused to do, even within their own ecosystems: Gameplay between their handhelds and their big boxes!

Quote:
Anyone else believe that this is not only an excellent move for the Mac by capitalizing on Apple's current strengthens but also sets up many features that are desirable in an AppleTV?

No. I do see some of this stuff getting put in an A6 1080p Apple TV BOX, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They should FIX THE EFFING ADDRESS BOOK!

What's wrong with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by success View Post

Wow, still only 720p. Sad.

Of course it is. The existing Apple TV only does 720p. They're not going to leak the next Apple TV in a preview when it doesn't exist yet. The page will be updated when it does.

Also, HEAD FOR THE HILLS; IT'S THE BEGINNING OF THE END. FIRE. DOOM. DESTRUCTION. DEATH. THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY JUST BE AN OPTION.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features