or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Messages beta for Mac, replacing iChat and integrating with iOS

Apple releases Messages beta for Mac, replacing iChat and integrating with iOS

post #1 of 74
Though the new Mac Messages application with cross-platform support for iOS will be a major feature of the forthcoming OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, users can get their hands on an early beta immediately.

The Messages beta is now available for download direct from Apple for free. Apple's official site advertises that it will give users "a taste of what's coming in OS X Mountain Lion," set to be released in late summer 2012.

"When you install Messages, it replaces iChat," Apple said. "But iChat services will continue to work. And Messages brings iMessage to the Mac -- just like on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch running iOS 5."

The Messages beta requires users be running the latest version of Lion, OS X 10.7.3. The full list of features of the Messages application, according to Apple, are:

Send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations, and more.

Launch a FaceTime video call and bring the conversation face-to-face.

Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Jabber accounts.

The release of Messages for Mac echoes Apple's launch of FaceTime for Mac in late 2010. FaceTime video chat was originally introduced with the iPhone 4, but eventually made its way to the Mac as a beta application, followed by full FaceTime integration in OS X 10.7 Lion when it launched last July.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 74
Currently unavailable.

Says to try back in a few hours.
post #3 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Currently unavailable.

Says to try back in a few hours.

That's odd, mine downloaded immediately ... (I am in FL, USA)
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #4 of 74
This is exciting- I was disappointed when this wasn't included originally- glad to see they were working on it.

The iOS-ification of OSX currently and in Mountain Lion will always be controversial, but I'm pretty excited to see how they integrate it together. With iCloud and the like, the Mac is really no longer necessarily the 'hub' of your Apple gear- any additional integration with their other products is welcome as far as I'm concerned. The understandable fear is that the Mac will lose flexibility/advanced features in this transition.. time will tell how they tip toe around this. We've seen one way of managing this is the recently released Airport Utility- make it dumbed down to the average user, but provide those advanced features under the hood (although I have read they did actually drop some features).
post #5 of 74
Hi apple Insider,
I guess new software means new hardware accordingly. Most likely the new iMac and Macbook will be introduced just before (including free issue new OS) or after the summer holidays, containing newest processors of intel's Ivy bridge platform
Unfortunately for all the people looking forward to buy a new macbook or iMac in the next few months.. (which was in line with previous years revamps iMac)
post #6 of 74
post #7 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens View Post

Hi apple Insider,
I guess with new software new hardware will be released accordingly. This will most likely mean the new iMac and Macbook will be introduced not in the next few months but just before or after the summer holidays, which means the new macs will contain the newest processors of intel's Ivy bridge platform.
Unfortunately for all the people looking forward to buy a new macbook or iMac in the next few months..

Right, but this is always the case. It's best to time a purchase with a new cycle of hardware upgrades if possible, but not absolutely necessary- Sandy Bridge will still be a great architecture in a year and will have Apple support for many years. Latest and greatest is a nice to have, but not a need for most users.
post #8 of 74
Can you still do screen sharing?
post #9 of 74
Can I send and receive messages for my phone number? The iPad currently can send only from an Apple ID. That's annoying, because you end up with two separate threads of communication.
post #10 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevan King View Post

Here's a link to download directly:

http://appldnld.apple.com/MessagesBe...ssagesBeta.dmg

Thanks. I'm getting "Our apologies but there was an unexpected error with the application. This problem has been noted, and an email has been sent to the administrators. Please check back in a few hours to try the download again." when I try the story's URL. Download link works.

Why this doesn't SMS like Google Voice, though, I don't know.
post #11 of 74
Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay ...........

Yay !
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #12 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Can I send and receive messages for my phone number? The iPad currently can send only from an Apple ID. That's annoying, because you end up with two separate threads of communication.

The iPad isn't a phone. What I do is keep everything to Apple ID's so you're then left with minimum amount of duplicate conversations.
post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uninterested_Viewer View Post

This is exciting- I was disappointed when this wasn't included originally- glad to see they were working on it.

The iOS-ification of OSX currently and in Mountain Lion will always be controversial, but I'm pretty excited to see how they integrate it together. With iCloud and the like, the Mac is really no longer necessarily the 'hub' of your Apple gear- any additional integration with their other products is welcome as far as I'm concerned. The understandable fear is that the Mac will lose flexibility/advanced features in this transition.. time will tell how they tip toe around this. We've seen one way of managing this is the recently released Airport Utility- make it dumbed down to the average user, but provide those advanced features under the hood (although I have read they did actually drop some features).

I would think that Apple at some point will have sort of kernel OS. Making this into iOS or OS X is simply done by adding the appropriate apps. Just like OS X Server is also just an additional app. If it works this way, you will still get all your more powerful features with the OS X, while is fully interchangeable at a kernel level
post #14 of 74
Does this newfangled Message app contain Rosetta? This is tempting, but I can't lose access to various programs I need (updated versions have missing functionality).

Anyone know how to create a VM with Snow Leopard on it while running Lion?
post #15 of 74
Quote:

I thought you could set the preferences on an iPhone to deliver messages to both your number and Apple ID.
post #16 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Does this newfangled Message app contain Rosetta?

Message is Lion only, so no Rosetta for you.
post #17 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

... and unexpected.

So much for "Lynx". lol

I'd bet a million dollars the next release adopts a new naming scheme and gets goes all out with a Launchpad inspired interface. I don't think however that it will be branded as iOS, nor should it.
post #18 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissawyer View Post

Can you still do screen sharing?

Yes you can. All the features of iChat seem pretty much unchanged, they just stuffed Messages into it and renamed it.
post #19 of 74
YES. IT REPLACES ICHAT.

THANK YOU, APPLE.

For a horrible minute I thought it was going to be a THIRD application. Now all we have to do is combine FaceTime with this thing and we'll be golden.
post #20 of 74
Is that screen shot the UI though? That's same terribe UI that aim beta recently had. I do NOT want a giant square window with contacts on left and chat on right. There better be an option to support a traditional buddylist ONLY window and conversation only window. screen real estate still matters and i do not want a giant appauling rectangle window on my screen when i can have a tiny IM box by itself and buddylist hidden, or buddylist with chat hidden, at any time.
post #21 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

YES. IT REPLACES ICHAT.

THANK YOU, APPLE.

For a horrible minute I thought it was going to be a THIRD application. Now all we have to do is combine FaceTime with this thing and we'll be golden.

I prefer them separate.
post #22 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalOS View Post

Is that screen shot the UI though? That's same terribe UI that aim beta recently had. I do NOT want a giant square window with contacts on left and chat on right.

I couldn't disagree more in a million years!
post #23 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

... and unexpected.

So much for "Lynx". lol

I suppose it makes sense -- Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion ....
Nice, easy-to-swallow babysteps towards the iOS-ing of OS X.

But the "Out Of Nowhere"-ness of this is positively breathtaking!

I mean, who saw this coming?!?
No one ....

Makes me wonder what sledgehammer thier gonna slam us over the head with hardware-wise this year ....
AAPL $600, anyone?

$650 by Jan 2013
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #24 of 74
Quote:

Does this newfangled Message app contain Rosetta? This is tempting, but I can't lose access to various programs I need (updated versions have missing functionality).

Anyone know how to create a VM with Snow Leopard on it while running Lion?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ard-in-vms.ars

Better yet, create a bootable external Snow Leopard drive if it so important for you.
post #25 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd bet a million dollars the next release adopts a new naming scheme and gets goes all out with a Launchpad inspired interface. I don't think however that it will be branded as iOS, nor should it.

Launchpad? Hmm, perhaps named after the various rockets in the space program. Saturn, Apollo, etc.
post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Message is Lion only, so no Rosetta for you.

It was a joke.
post #27 of 74
I would like to see a client for Windows 7 so I can send messages to the wifes iPhone when at work.
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ard-in-vms.ars

Better yet, create a bootable external Snow Leopard drive if it so important for you.

Fantastic! I need to have it run simultaneously, as I use the programs daily.
post #29 of 74
My God, this and Mountain Lion came out of fucking NOWHERE. Nice to see Apple's secrecy is as strong as its ever been. Not even a tiny mention of Mountain Lion in any leak or rumor I've ever read.
post #30 of 74
What about video chats with up to 4 people simultaniously? Can it still do this ?
post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What about video chats with up to 4 people simultaniously? Can it still do this ?

I would assume that any AIM-based conversation would retain this functionality. FaceTime, on the other hand, won't.
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would assume that any AIM-based conversation would retain this functionality. FaceTime, on the other hand, won't.

Is there any technical reason Apple can't update FaceTime to support conference calls? That would be EPIC.
post #33 of 74
Quote:

If the message is an iMessage and you have your Apple ID logged into your phone then you would receive those.

If the message is an SMS then no. those are a separate system that just happens to use the same UI app as iMessages.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #34 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

I would like to see a client for Windows 7 so I can send messages to the wifes iPhone when at work.

Why, just buy a Mac.
post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I would think that Apple at some point will have sort of kernel OS. Making this into iOS or OS X is simply done by adding the appropriate apps.

I suspect that they basically already do. What will happen in the future is more crossing over, perhaps to the point that they can make Mac/iOS apps that are universal just like you have iphone/ipad. Imagine being able to buy Pages from the App Store and you get it for all devices rather than having two versions.

Also, with this iOS-ification I don't see what the issue is. Thus far they haven't removed anything from the MacOS. I can still use Finder etc just like before. They added a couple of new bits, fixed one that was only working so so (Spaces/Expose). Yeah they changed up Mail but you can change it back. Yeah they changed up scrolling but you can change it back.

If folks want to gripe how about doing it over the fact that we really need is for them to Mac up iOS in terms of files. We need one central spot for files so that any applicable app can open it. Not this 'save in pages' 'save in ibooks' thing where you can end up with 10 copies of the same file. One "documents" folder even if we can't get into it directly.

post #36 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Why, just buy a Mac.

I wouldn't be shocked if this Messages app, once out of beta, gets a Windows version. Tons of PC folks have iPhones and iPads after all. And then there are businesses with that combo.

post #37 of 74
Been hoping for this, so fucking awesome. Checked AI on my phone 1st thing in the morning while still in bed, and saw this and the Mountain Lion headline. Awesome start to the day!
post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I wouldn't be shocked if this Messages app, once out of beta, gets a Windows version. Tons of PC folks have iPhones and iPads after all. And then there are businesses with that combo.

The "iChat for Windows" rumors have been around since 2004. I WOULD be surprised if it EVER gets a Windows version.

Quote:

Is there any technical reason Apple can't update FaceTime to support conference calls? That would be EPIC.

You think an iPhone/iPod touch can handle processing three incoming video streams? The size of the screen not even withstanding.
post #39 of 74
YEAY!!!

I've been saying this (but the reverse) ever since the first "SMS" app on the iPhone came out in '07.

Why they didn't just integrate iChat into the first iPhone was beyond me, but I guess they doing to reverse scenario. Thank goodness I didn't buy a Mac last year...with the ivy bridge, and now Mountain Lion, and the rumored larger MB airs coming...i'll be first in line to get one of those bad boys!
post #40 of 74
Okay, it appears as though videoconferencing that ISN'T FaceTime doesn't work anymore.

And I see no way to screenshare with anyone.

THIS needs fixed posthaste.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple releases Messages beta for Mac, replacing iChat and integrating with iOS