or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins German injunction against Motorola over 'slide-to-unlock'

Apple wins German injunction against Motorola over 'slide-to-unlock' - Page 3

post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It doesn't have to be a new concept, it just has to be a unique implementation. Would you disallow patenting the pogo stick because people have been jumping up and down for a long time? The telegraph because of smoke signals? How could Edison patent the light bulb, when candles had been doing the same thing for so long?

Somehow whenever it involves Apple we get into these insane standards of innovation that would preclude the entire concept of invention, for anyone, ever.

Since new ideas don't come from the bizarro dimension and leave us all mystified as to what they even do, of course they have antecedents.

You understand trends right? This isn't about innovation. The method of achieving it could be considered innovation. You're also comparing products to features such as the candle as opposed to a light bulb. This is not the invention of the telephone. Do you see the difference? I'd have a totally different opinion if the complaint was over google copying engineering Apple's code/hardware implementation. The concept of the swipe being patented is what irritates me. Even your own examples suggest you should understand this.
post #82 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

You understand trends right? This isn't about innovation. The method of achieving it could be considered innovation. You're also comparing products to features such as the candle as opposed to a light bulb. This is not the invention of the telephone. Do you see the difference? I'd have a totally different opinion if the complaint was over google copying engineering Apple's code/hardware implementation. The concept of the swipe being patented is what irritates me. Even your own examples suggest you should understand this.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Trends? Products vs. features?

What Apple has patented is a specific implementation of a specific process on a specific class of devices. They haven't tried to patent "swiping" as a general concept. There simply isn't anything any company could do with regards to UI innovations that couldn't be matched to real world processes, for the simple reason that human beings have a limited set of conceptual frameworks that allow them to make sense of the world. That doesn't mean that, say, a specific graphical system for achieving cut and paste on a computer UI is obvious because of scissors and scrapbooks.

In fact, there isn't a single thing about a computer interface that is obvious or inevitable, it just seems like it because the GUI and certain file handling conventions became the norm. It's always easy to claim, after the fact, that a given UI innovation is inevitable and obvious, but I notice none of the people who claim this ever seem to have any insight as to what comes next.

What comes next? Apple is going to do something, it's going to be obvious, so obvious that folks will claim that they shouldn't have exclusive ownership. So what is it? It's obvious, there must be at least some examples that come to mind.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple wins German injunction against Motorola over 'slide-to-unlock'