or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › With Mountain Lion, Apple officially drops 'Mac' from OS X name

With Mountain Lion, Apple officially drops 'Mac' from OS X name

post #1 of 94
After priming the transition with "OS X" trademark applications years ago, Apple has now confirmed that the word "Mac" is no longer part of the name of its flagship desktop operating system.

The unveiling of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Thursday represented a marked change in Apple's marketing strategy. The Cupertino, Calif., company has preferred the shortened OS X moniker for some time now, but the company is now making the switch to the new name official.

Twitter user David Connell pointed out that the developer preview of Mountain Lion dropped the "Mac" name from the About This Mac page within the operating system. The latest public version of OS X Lion, version 10.7.3, still lists the system as running "Mac OS X."

Apple subsequently confirmed the official name change to The Verge on Thursday, noting that the preferred full name is "OS X Mountain Lion."

Credit: David Connell

The change does not appear to reflect a de-emphasis on the Mac, though, as Apple has voiced its continued commitment to the computing platform and is actually increasing the frequency of software updates by introducing an annual release schedule for OS X.

Mountain Lion does, however, continue a trend that brings iOS and OS X closer together with increased cross-platform integration and feature sharing. Apple CEO Tim Cook said in an interview Thursday that he views the two operating systems as "one with incremental functionality." He also left open the possibility that Macs and iOS devices may someday run on the same processor architecture.

"We think about everything. We don't close things off," he said.

OS X 10.8 will add over a hundred new features to the the Mac operating system when it arrives this summer. Notable additions include Messages, which will replace iChat; several core iOS apps such as Notes, Reminders and Game Center that will be brought back to the Mac; AirPlay Mirroring to an Apple TV and a new application-monitoring security feature called Gatekeeper.

AppleInsider discovered Apple's "OS X" trademark application in early 2009 after it was filed in Trinidad and Tobago in 2008. At the time, the company was working to differentiate its Mac operating system from its iPhone OS.

The image accompanying Apple's "OS X" trademark filings.

The United States Patent and Trademark Office lists an application from Apple for the "OS X" mark as having been filed on Nov. 12, 2008. The registration date is listed as Nov. 1, 2011.

Apple's name change for OS X has drawn comparisons to two other instances in the company's history. In June 2010, Apple dropped the word "phone" from its iOS because the mobile operating system ran on other non-phone devices such as the iPod touch and the iPad. Also, in 2007, Apple signaled its commitment to the post-PC era by removing "Computer" from its name to re-brand itself as "Apple, Inc." At the time, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs said traditional computing had become just one part of the company's business as it was joined by newer product lines like the iPod and iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After priming the transition with "OS X" trademark applications years ago, Apple has now confirmed that the word "Mac" is no longer part of the name of its flagship desktop operating system.

Pretty soon, the Mac will just like a big iPod Touch.
post #3 of 94
Hmm. I wonder when my .mac email address will be a relic of history.

'What's your email address?'

'xxxxx@mac.com'

'What's mac?
post #4 of 94
Off Topic: I'm surprised Apple is still using the old About This Mac window. Even more surprised that if you click More Info you get the new About This Mac window. Seems so un-Apple-like.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #5 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

It has been a relic already for a couple of years.

Replaced when MobileMe came out.
post #6 of 94
Right, instead of my usual mockery of the fake implications of something like this, I'm going to pose a hypothetical.

Yeah, they're removing Mac from the name. Because the OS doesn't just apply to Macs anymore.

They're not bringing iOS to the Mac, they're bringing the Mac to iOS devices. They're going the OPPOSITE way in terms of functionality.

How's that?
post #7 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

You forgot the /s.

I hope.
post #8 of 94
I guess as long as the Mac is still called the Mac, its not that big of a deal to me. Plus referring to the two OS' as iOS and OSX sounds a little better in print. Guess we're one step closer to the hybrid OS we all know is coming.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #9 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, instead of my usual mockery of the fake implications of something like this, I'm going to pose a hypothetical.

Yeah, they're removing Mac from the name. Because the OS doesn't just apply to Macs anymore.

They're not bringing iOS to the Mac, they're bringing the Mac to iOS devices. They're going the OPPOSITE way in terms of functionality.

How's that?

Wishful thinking. It goes against market logic, which calls the shots at Apple now that its shareholders far more than its engineers or customers are its primary focus. I wonder on which side Steve Jobs would be found, were he still with us. But it no longer matters.
post #10 of 94
Quote:

You may be reading too much into this. What about this name change, or today’s Mountain Lion announcements, removes anything Mac-like about using using OS X? What significant features have been lost, in your view, as the Mac moves towards being an iPod?

I’m genuinely curious, because you’re definitely not alone in your fear; whereas all I see is great tech from iOS being added to OS X, making the Mac better than ever. I don’t see the evidence of this problem that seems so huge to many people.

Quote:

How's that?

Won’t happen, thank goodness. iOS is different because it’s made for touchscreens. The two OS’s should share things and they will—but they should, and will, remain separate. Putting OS X on an iPad would make the iPad so much worse! And iOS already IS OS X brought to touch devices. That’s how it was created. Apple wouldn’t backtrack on such a great leap forward.

Someday, OS X may gain pervasive direct touch, when pro workstations can be (partly?) touch-based AND be genuinely better than the old way. I predict Macs that lie flat on a desk, very wide but not very deep (too tiring to reach far away). We’re talking a long ways off, though.

I think they’re just shortening the name because “Max OS X Mountain Lion” sounds too much like a Microsoft-style mouthful!
post #11 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I guess as long as the Mac is still called the Mac, its not that big of a deal to me. Plus referring to the two OS' as iOS and OSX sounds a little better in print. Guess we're one step closer to the hybrid OS we all know is coming.

AppleOS
post #12 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Wont happen, thank goodness. iOS is different because its made for touchscreens. The two OSs should share things and they willbut they should, and will, remain separate. Putting OS X on an iPad would make the iPad so much worse! And iOS already IS OS X brought to touch devices. Thats how it was created. Apple wouldnt backtrack on such a great leap forward.p

Oh no, I don't mean that! I mean to say that instead of a dumbing down of the existing desktop OS paradigm to incorporate a fully multitouch system, I believe that this could be an indicator of a smartening-up of iOS to receive a more fleshed-out portable experience on the way to the convergence of the two as OS XI.
post #13 of 94
Quote:

System 1
System 2
System 3
System 4
System 5
System 6
System 7

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #14 of 94
Interesting. I take it to mean that Apple is transitioning to a device company, and that OS X will soon power more devices, such as, um. AppleTV? They already dropped the word "Computer" from the company's name a while back.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 94
Quote:

'xxxxx@mac.com'

'What's mac?

That's only if they drop the name "Mac" from iMac, MacBook, Mac Mini, Mac Pro => i, Book, Mini, Pro.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Y I predict Macs that lie flat on a desk, very wide but not very deep (too tiring to reach far away). Were talking a long ways off, though.

That sounds unergonomic. Looking down at a desk for long periods is uncomfortable.
post #17 of 94
This confirms that Apple plans to kill the Mac, just like how Apple killed the iPhone when it changed its OS from iPhone OS to iOS.
post #18 of 94
Perfect response, Slurpy.

post #19 of 94
Don't see why this is significant. I never knew System 7 as Macintosh System 7, so why is everyone getting so upset that OSX is no longer Mac OSX?

What other commercial systems other than Macintosh run OSX?
post #20 of 94
Quote:

How's that?

... \

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This confirms that Apple plans to kill the Mac, just like how Apple killed the iPhone when it changed its OS from iPhone OS to iOS.

Not even remotely similar... as the sole reason for the iPhone OS to iOS name change was because they were now using the 'mobile' operating system on devices other than the iPhone.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #21 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Off Topic: I'm surprised Apple is still using the old About This Mac window. Even more surprised that if you click More Info you get the new About This Mac window. Seems so un-Apple-like.

Whoa. When did THAT happen? 10.7.3? I'd swear the old way was still there in Lion last year. It is somewhat clunky. I love Apple, but I'm amazed by how many awkward bits of UI they never get around to cleaning up.
post #22 of 94
Quote:

How's that?

Of all the theories, this is the one I agree with the most. There's a lot of people posting who think that's hogwash but my response is the following;

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
post #23 of 94
Quote:

'xxxxx@mac.com'

'What's mac?

Surely you're being overly dramatic in an attempt to be funny. Just because Apple calls them Macs doesn't mean people have no idea what a Macintosh is. Just because Apple is now calling the operating system that runs on a Mac "OS X" doesn't mean people will forget the computer it runs on is a Mac... especially when the computer is called a MAC. Sheesh.

Mac Mini.
iMac.
Mac Pro.
Macbook.

...the name isn't going away.
post #24 of 94
Quote:

How's that?

An interesting concept...
  1. Create iPads in 11" and 13" sizes along with the stanard 10"
  2. Make keyboard, mouse, track-pad and pen input first class citizens next to touch
  3. Add an "OSX" app to the springboard that launches like any other iOS app
  4. Allow the iPad to dock with a MacBook Air like base. That way most of the time it works like an iPad, until you dock it and launch "OSX" app at which time it works like a MacBook Air.
  5. Add a few more "multitasking" enhancements to iOS like side-by-side apps, a better app switcher and a way for apps to opt-in to share information with each other.

That's Windows 8. From the OSX Mountain Lion announcements it sounds like Apple don't want to do that.
post #25 of 94
We wanted to drop Mac from OS X when it was during the Rhapsody build days.

It's finally done.

Sharing of ideas between both platforms will evolve and cross-influence each OS, but they will never merge.
post #26 of 94
Maybe it's so corporate IT folks will stop referring to MACs (man, that's annoying).

I think it some combination of "now that the Apple TV is going to run it and IT'S not a Mac, we should call it something else" and "no one really says 'Mac OS ten' anyway and 'OS X' makes more sense than just 'Mac OS.'"

"Macs run OS 10, PC run Windows." Makes sense.
post #27 of 94
Well, you don't have to hit it over the head with such an obvious hint!

They dropped "phone" from iOS when the iPad was released. Clearly, they are releasing a TV running OS X and are morphing the name now.
post #28 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

They dropped "phone" from iOS when the iPad was released. Clearly, they are releasing a TV running OS X and are morphing the name now.

That makes no sense. The AppleTV released in 2007 was pretty much an unaltered version of Tiger except for FrontRow base being adopted as the UI, codenamed BackRow. Even now the AppleTV runs iOS with UI because it's ARM-based and will continue to be so, I forget the codename, but they don't call it iOS. It's a home theater appliance that keeps the same HW for years so there is little need to mention the OS at all though I'm sure internally they have a name for it.

post #29 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I agree. By removing 'mac' it opens up what it can be run on. Eg: a tv. Just like ios moved from a phone to a ipad and touch.
post #30 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perfect response, Slurpy.

I know. Thanks.
post #31 of 94
Regardless of what they call it, I'm pleasantly surprised by this announcement of the release of Mountain Lion.

I've been getting a bit bored with Lion's wallpaper and Mountain Lion's new background will address this issue nicely.

Mac OS X?

OS X?

I don't care.

I'm only in it for the wallpapers.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #32 of 94
Meaning that a new line of systems running on ARM and completely different from the usual Mac line-up are coming. These are the transition systems that will take us to a one OS ecosystem. Eventually OSX and iOS will merge.
post #33 of 94
They pretty much screwed themselves when they named it OS X with code names of large cats in the first place. Now that they have painted themselves into a corner with the naming conventions, they are squirming around trying to find a way to spin it.

They will likely just add an "S" to end of the name and hope no one notices.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #34 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberoid View Post

Wishful thinking. It goes against market logic, which calls the shots at Apple now that its shareholders far more than its engineers or customers are its primary focus. I wonder on which side Steve Jobs would be found, were he still with us. But it no longer matters.

Yes. Apple is going to reward its shareholders by ignoring its customers, because that's such a shrewd business strategy. Apple's recent run-up in share price has nothing to do with selling a millions and millions of devices, and selling millions and millions of devices has nothing to do with designing hardware and software that people like. And certainly Mountain Lion was cooked up in the last few months or so, probably started the day Steve passed away. "At last!" cried Tim Cook, "I don't have Steve looking over my shoulder, we can commence making horrible choices that favor only shareholders and alienate our users!"

I swear, do people even read the stupid shit they write, once they decide to get their Apple hate on? It's like Apple bashing is a form of brain damage.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #35 of 94
I like it. OS X sounds kind of ultimate and professional, which is what a computer is nowadays, a device for professionals and content creators. iOS sounds kind of personal, like an OS for an individual in their personal life. Which is what phones and tablets are.

Anyway none of the hardware or software in the current iMac is the same as the 1984 Mac, it is all based on Steve's NeXT OS + about 10 years of evolution since then.
post #36 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncerman View Post

I agree. By removing 'mac' it opens up what it can be run on. Eg: a tv. Just like ios moved from a phone to a ipad and touch.

( Apple-certifiedTV | (AppleTV + HDMI-TV) ) + BT keyBd = OSX computer
post #37 of 94
I wonder why Apple doesn't buy osx.com now since its for sale:
http://www.namingrights.com/three-le...mains/osx-com/
Mac Pro 5,1: 12 x 2.93GHz / 64 GB / ATI 5870 / 1.5+2+2+2+3TB / ACD 30" + 20"
post #38 of 94
By the way, why doesn't Apple remove the space? We have iOS, so the equivalent would be OSX (without the space between S and X).
post #39 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They pretty much screwed themselves when they named it OS X with code names of large cats in the first place. Now that they have painted themselves into a corner with the naming conventions, they are squirming around trying to find a way to spin it.

They will likely just add an "S" to end of the name and hope no one notices.

Hey, if they make an OS X Puffin I will buy the hell out of it.

post #40 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

Don't see why this is significant. I never knew System 7 as Macintosh System 7, so why is everyone getting so upset that OSX is no longer Mac OSX?

What other commercial systems other than Macintosh run OSX?

Because people are morons.

I see two potential explanations for this:

1. Simplification
2. They intend to run OSX on machines not called "mac" (for example, as a VM on a server)

The first explanation seems most likely
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › With Mountain Lion, Apple officially drops 'Mac' from OS X name