or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sold more iOS devices in 2011 than total Macs in 28 years

Apple sold more iOS devices in 2011 than total Macs in 28 years - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Very impressive. Looks like the Mac sales picked up six years ago with Intel transition and Vista

I would like to have the iPod on that graph as well.
post #42 of 47
It's an amazing statistic and great that so many people can afford advanced computing devices these days.
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post

Many Apple people have said that they expected the iPad to be a success, but had no idea at all that it would sell in the numbers it has. It is nice to be surprised like that.

It should come as no surprise that sales volume (number of products) of devices costing hundreds of dollars exceed those which cost thousands of dollars. Likewise, it should come as no surprise that price is a factor in sales in general. Perhaps Apple will take a lesson from this and price their computers more in line with hardware of similar capability running other operating systems. It just could come as a surprise to them that they would sell more of them and making a greater profit, even if the margins per product sold were not as great. Greater market share would also allow the amortizing of R&D costs across more products, thereby reducing the R&D cost component per unit sold which does positively contribute to margins.

Apple pricing is where it needs to be, you won't see Macs come down to the price of the rubbish made by the PC makers. Newer Macs always come out at the same price but offering more and all of the highest design and build quality. However we are seeing PC makers desperately trying to copy the Macs so Apple must be doing everything right IMHO.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Back when Apple's mainline product was computers, it:

sold less volume;
made a lower gross profit;
made a MUCH lower gross margin;
made a MUCH lower net profit.

Now, with Apple being a gadget company, each of these things has reversed.

Boat anchor.

They couldn't have made an iPhone without the mac and mac OS. Hardly a boat anchor, techdud.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple pricing is where it needs to be, you won't see Macs come down to the price of the rubbish made by the PC makers. Newer Macs always come out at the same price but offering more and all of the highest design and build quality. However we are seeing PC makers desperately trying to copy the Macs so Apple must be doing everything right IMHO.

That's really sad. Tell me just where it is that I suggested changing the hardware.

Please read and attempt to understand before commenting.
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

They couldn't have made an iPhone without the mac and mac OS. Hardly a boat anchor, techdud.

And the ecosystem continues to be reliant on the hardware suitable for the heavy lifting to be doing the heavy lifting, else we would all be miserable trying to use IOS devices to run our businesses on. Spoken by someone with either little insight or little needs. One division's runaway success is not what defines another's status of "boat achor", thankfully.
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Likely Apple has made more profit form one year's iPhone sales than all the Macs put together from the dawn of time.

Macs seem to be a boat anchor for Apple these days.

Symbiotic is more like it.

People introduced to iPads tend to buy iPhones, and both are launch pads for Macs.

It all works together.

As long as people are having a positive experience with Apple products, they will continue to seek out a greater Apple ecosystem.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sold more iOS devices in 2011 than total Macs in 28 years