or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › LED maker reportedly tapped to supply chips for Apple television

LED maker reportedly tapped to supply chips for Apple television

post #1 of 40
Apple is said to have selected a key component supplier for its rumored television set, with LED chipmaker Genesis Photonics expected to enter the supply chain.

The Taiwan-based company was singled out by DigiTimes , which cited anonymous industry sources. Genesis is reportedly expected to supply LED chips to LCD panel maker Sharp for Apple's anticipated television.

Though Sharp is known for building LCD displays, the company does not produce most of the LED chips found in its screens. Sharp has used Japanese firm Nichia in the past, but it is believed to have switched to Genesis in 2011 for last year's lineup of LED HDTVs.

The partnership between Sharp and Genesis is expected to grow in 2012, as Genesis is said to have received certification for its LED chips. That could pave the way for Genesis to be a crucial component in Apple's rumored television set lineup.

Sharp's LED displays have previously been rumored to be utilized for an Apple television. One report from last November suggested that production of the HDTV could begin as early as this month at Sharp's Gen 10 Sakai facility in Osaka, Japan.

One company that is not expected to supply display panels for an Apple television is Samsung, one of Apple's chief rivals. One Samsung official said earlier this week that if Apple does launch a full-fledged television set, it won't be able to compete with Samsung in terms of picture quality.

But Samsung is also said to be contemplating a decision to spin off its struggling LCD business, which has been affected by low margins in the fiercely competitive business. Because Samsung makes devices like smartphones, tablets and computers in addition to selling displays, competitors like Apple have been reluctant to purchase components from Samsung, and have instead turned to other suppliers like Sharp or LG.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One company that is not expected to supply display panels for an Apple television is Samsung, one of Apple's chief rivals.

Stick a fork in it Samsung. You're done!
post #3 of 40
Quote:

One Samsung official said earlier this week that if Apple does launch a full-fledged television set, it won't be able to compete with Samsung in terms of picture quality.

...because within 2 months of Apple releasing it, samsung will have a kirf on the market.
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Stick a fork in it Samsung. You're done!

As soon as Sammy have seen anything new from Apple they will copy it, and Apple is DOOMED (again)
27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
27" iMac, i7 2.8G CPU, 16 GB, 2TB Hd, Radeon HD 4850,  MacBookPro 13",  iPad2 64Gb, 2 x  iPhone4S 32Gb, 1 x 64Gb iPhone5S, 1Tb TimeCap,  2 x Apple TV.   Got my AAPL when they were $12.50 each.
post #5 of 40
Some sad news is that Sony, the once great Tv manufacturer, and the developer of many modern Tv technologies and designs, has given up on the production of displays for their own Tv's. While Apple is moving away from Samsung, Sony is now going to buy all of its displays from them in an attempt to turn around their Tv business which has been losing billions for the past several years.

A shame.
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Some sad news is that Sony, the once great Tv manufacturer, and the developer of many modern Tv technologies and designs, has given up on the production of displays for their own Tv's. While Apple is moving away from Samsung, Sony is now going to buy all of its displays from them in an attempt to turn around their Tv business which has been losing billions for the past several years.

A shame.

WHAT?! But Sony panels usually had the absolute best quality. Why would they settle for crap?!

Not that I buy from either Sony or Samsung, it's just strange to see. Who's going to actually be innovating and pushing forward in the panel business now that this is the case?

Well, I guess LG. They're doing some great stuff with OLED now.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #7 of 40
Sharp has Panel IP the competition doesn't match up to and it was a shrewd move on Apple's part to partner with them. Sharp is positioned to deploy IGZO LCD Technology for mobile to large scale LCD February 2012, so this means with the iPad 3 getting this panel tech, so to will the iPhone/iPod Touch up to the Apple HDTV product.

Sharp has definitely been on my stock watch for the past 6 months.
post #8 of 40
Quote:

A shame.

I can't wrap my head about the TV manufacturers's inability to make money. The demand is certainly there. What happened?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #9 of 40
Quote:

Apple is said to have selected a key component supplier for its rumored television set, with LED chipmaker Genesis Photronics expected to enter the supply chain ...

This kind of smells to me.

The way the story is written it seems like a leak from the chip supplier, but why would Sharp (or anybody) tell the third string supplier *what* or *who* the chips were needed for? Especially a company as secretive as Apple.

I think what's happening here is that the supplier got a big order from Sharp and someone is just assuming that this is for the AppleTV.

It would seem far too early to arrange the supply chain, or far too late if the new AppleTV being announced in March is actually a TV.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHAT?! But Sony panels usually had the absolute best quality. Why would they settle for crap?!

Not that I buy from either Sony or Samsung, it's just strange to see. Who's going to actually be innovating and pushing forward in the panel business now that this is the case?

Sony has always been getting their panels from Samsung, where have you been?
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD View Post

So where it was said earlier "giving up the production of their own displays" that was just a lie, then?

post #12 of 40
Quote:

Because Samsung makes devices like smartphones, tablets and computers in addition to selling displays, competitors like Apple have been reluctant to purchase components from Samsung, and have instead turned to other suppliers like Sharp or LG.

That may or may not be the reason.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #13 of 40
Quote:

Sony panels are not the best quality. Panasonic is number one right now and Samsung are definitely above Sony, by a huge margin. I owned one of those Sony Bravia TV's and it was an expensive piece of crap. Black levels? Try brown levels. With embarrassing viewing angles to boot. No one in their right mind would let that shit out the door.
post #14 of 40
Quote:

Just remember those 27" OLED TVs that never came to market. I wouldn't hold me breath, and even if they do materialize in the next 12 months they'll be a price point no human can afford.
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wrap my head about the TV manufacturers's inability to make money. The demand is certainly there. What happened?

Tv's keep getting cheaper. The cheaper they get, the lower margins they have. The Tv business is a real dog eat dog business. It's like the cheap computer business. Who is making money on them? No one, really.

Then we get all of those really cheap companies from China that have been taking marketshare from the established manufacturers because of the perennially cheap American consumer who would rather buy junk if it's cheap, than quality, if it costs more. Then the worldwide deep recession that begun in late 2007, as I and some few others argued about, before it was finally made official in mid 2008, damaged further the low margins of many of these companies. The insistence of manufacturing in Japan has given others an advantage, as Japanese manufacturing costs are very high. Japanese companies are having a hard time of it now.
post #16 of 40
Quote:

Well, there was a deal in recent years, but Sony still made their high end panels themselves. No more.
post #17 of 40
Quote:

So where it was said earlier "giving up the production of their own displays"… that was just a lie, then?

They owned a plant with Samsung, and we're working on some deal with Sharp, as well as making their own displays for the XBR and other high end models, as well as their own more specialized displays. Samsung bought the rest of the operation from Sony, and will now make all of their displays, unless the deal with Sharp goes through for some.
post #18 of 40
I know we keep seeing this mockup of basically an Apple monitor as the form factor for the new Apple TV. It's perfectly understandable.

However, knowing Apple's penchant for elegance (read: "thinness") I wouldn't be surprised if it deviated from the monitor form factor, somewhat...

I can see the use of aluminum and black glass as well as the stand. But I think it will super thin and "edgeless!"

I do hope they will offer a 50+ inch model....I've gone 3 years w/o a TV waiting for the Apple TV. Been using my 20" original intel iMac and now my iPad 2! Which really does no justice to movies or formula one race, tennis, etc.

P.S. just a side note...I think we will start seeing the iMac's moving to edgeless screens and eventually the MBA, MBP lines, too

Best
post #19 of 40
Quote:

Then we get all of those really cheap companies from China that have been taking marketshare from the established manufacturers because of the perennially cheap American consumer who would rather buy junk if it's cheap, than quality, if it costs more.

Isn't Vizio an American company? I'm not aware of any Chinese makers on the market today other than Haier who's sales seem negligible.
post #20 of 40
Quote:

Well, there was a deal in recent years, but Sony still made their high end panels themselves. No more.

As far as I knew Samsung also supplied the LED panels for Sony.
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just remember those 27" OLED TVs that never came to market. I wouldn't hold me breath, and even if they do materialize in the next 12 months they'll be a price point no human can afford.

Well, a couple of companies have announced they will have an OLED model out late this year. I think one might have been Sharp, and the other may have been Samsung. I don't remember exactly. But one is supposed to be a 55".

We'll see if it actually happens. But don't forget that when Pioneer first came out with the first 42" plasma, it was $20,000. And that was a fair amount of time ago, so with inflation, it would be more today. And even before that, people were buying those horrible SD rear projection consoles for $10,000.

There would be a market, abet small, for even a $10,000 55" OLED set, if it was good.
post #22 of 40
Quote:

Isn't Vizio an American company? I'm not aware of any Chinese makers on the market today other than Haier who's sales seem negligible.

We've got Coby and others, which started with $29.95 DVD players, and portable junk, but are now offering larger Tv's as well.
post #23 of 40
Quote:

As far as I knew Samsung also supplied the LED panels for Sony.

I haven't looked up who supplies the backlights, but the panels are the main thing.
post #24 of 40
Quote:

I think that very good sets can be made for very little money. And that there is little reason to pay more, for most people, because the cheap ones are plenty "good enough".

Oh. And oversupply, despite healthy demand? That often has something to do with falling prices.
post #25 of 40
Sony, Toshiba and Hitachi have just recently merged their display businesses into one new entity called Japan Display.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/15/jap...display-units/
post #26 of 40
Quote:

Well, a couple of companies have announced they will have an OLED model out late this year.

I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, what I'm saying is they announced the exact same thing about 27" OLED displays that ended up never materializing.
post #27 of 40
Quote:

We'll see if it actually happens. But don't forget that when Pioneer first came out with the first 42" plasma, it was $20,000. And that was a fair amount of time ago, so with inflation, it would be more today. And even before that, people were buying those horrible SD rear projection consoles for $10,000.

Inflation doesn't work like that. Technology doesn't go up in price every year, it goes down. People were buying those Pioneer TVs, I have one, but Pioneer is now out of that business. What does that tell you? If you want to succeed in the TV market these days; selling a $10,000 or $20,000 TV is not the way to do it.
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This kind of smells to me.

The way the story is written it seems like a leak from the chip supplier, but why would Sharp (or anybody) tell the third string supplier *what* or *who* the chips were needed for? Especially a company as secretive as Apple.

I have to agree.

and to add to your 'assumption' idea I will put in another possible

Someone leaked this 'info' themselves to get press because as we know anything that mentions Apple will get posted everywhere

Personally I think that Apple is NOT making a TV, but rather bigger and better cinema displays that will include HDMI inputs that could be used with an Apple TV, a blu-ray etc so they want them to be awesome looking. And folks are just assuming that it will be a full tv with all the tuners and such.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

..I think we will start seeing the iMac's moving to edgeless screens and eventually the MBA, MBP lines, too
Best

edgeless makes sense in a wall mounted TV - and samsung's tv's are very elegant, but i think you need some "dead space" on the side of an iMac, MBA, MBP to shield the viewer from anything behind it.

i'm holding off on purchasing a TV right now because i want an Apple interface. if nothing comes out by July i'm pulling the trigger on a 55" samsung led. our 7 year old sharp 42" just isn't cutting it in the living room anymore.
post #30 of 40
Quote:

Competition plus saturation. Only way to get customers to get a new TV is to lower price.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

edgeless makes sense in a wall mounted TV - and samsung's tv's are very elegant, but i think you need some "dead space" on the side of an iMac, MBA, MBP to shield the viewer from anything behind it.

i'm holding off on purchasing a TV right now because i want an Apple interface. if nothing comes out by July i'm pulling the trigger on a 55" samsung led. our 7 year old sharp 42" just isn't cutting it in the living room anymore.

Get a Panasonic plasma.
post #32 of 40
Quote:

Inflation doesn't work like that. Technology doesn't go up in price every year, it goes down. People were buying those Pioneer TVs, I have one, but Pioneer is now out of that business. What does that tell you? If you want to succeed in the TV market these days; selling a $10,000 or $20,000 TV is not the way to do it.

Pioneer made some televisions with excellent picture quality too (obviously they had to for that price). Like I've said before, making the base hardware the differentiating factor wouldn't really do much. Apple's displays relative to the rest of the market at comparable price points have been average at best out of the box, and enough of them experience issues later on. They'd sell a few just because it's Apple, but a television would really need something that differentiates it from the rest beyond Apple marketing, and Apple does not have the experience or resources to edge everyone else out on the basis of picture quality.
post #33 of 40
Quote:
One Samsung official said earlier this week that if Apple does launch a full-fledged television set, it won't be able to compete with Samsung in terms of picture quality.

Samsung is so full of it. They are basically saying no one can make better screens.
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Hang in there, Dsarc! I've got a sneaky suspicion apple is going to come out with a 42" as the first iteration...I'm going to buy it anyway. When they come out with a larger version the 42" will end up in the "magic room!" (read: bedroom)
post #35 of 40
Quote:

end up in the "magic room!" (read: bedroom)

Too. Much. Information.
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Too. Much. Information.

Agreed! Sorry!
post #37 of 40
Quote:

Agreed! Sorry!

S'allright.
post #38 of 40
AI, It's actually "Genesis Photonics", not Genesis Photronics.
post #39 of 40
Quote:

I'm not saying it isn't going to happen, what I'm saying is they announced the exact same thing about 27" OLED displays that ended up never materializing.

I don't remember any company ever announcing an actual product before, except for the Sony.
post #40 of 40
Quote:

Uh, you know, I actually do understand that. It wasn't the point I was making. You missed that. The point was that when these new technologies first came out, they were very expensive, and yet, there were a large enough number of people to buy them to enable the second generation to drop in price, and that iterated itself over a number of generations until they reached a final pricing.

The same thing will happen here. An 11" set wasn't big enough to be interesting, or even very useful. But a large model will be. With people paying up to $6,000 for a large plasma or high end LCd model, there will be enough to want to buy a 55" OLED model at an even higher price if it proves to be good. This is always the case.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › LED maker reportedly tapped to supply chips for Apple television