or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'A5X' CPU featured on purported Apple 'iPad 3' logic board

'A5X' CPU featured on purported Apple 'iPad 3' logic board

post #1 of 146
A picture that appears to show the logic board for Apple's next-generation iPad shows a system-on-a-chip labeled "A5X" rather than the "A6" processor that has been rumored.

If accurate, the name "A5X" could suggest the next iPad's custom processor is a more powerful version of the existing A5 CPU found in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, rather than an overhauled next-generation "A6" processor. The picture of a purported iPad 3 logic board was first revealed at WeiPhone (via MacRumors).

The board indicates the A5X chip was manufactured in November of 2011. It also includes 16 gigabytes of flash memory from Hynix.

Apple first began utilizing its own custom chips with the first-generation iPad in 2010. The A4 CPU then appeared later that year in the iPhone 4.

The strategy continued in 2011, when the iPad 2 was introduced with the A5 CPU debuting in the iPad 2, sporting a dual-core design and faster graphics processing. The A5 eventually came to the iPhone 4S in late 2011.

But the leaked logic board suggests that for the third-generation iPad, Apple will instead use the name A5X. That could support a rumor from earlier this month that claimed the custom processor to be found in the next iPad will still be a dual-core model, not quad core as had been rumored, though it was said it will feature a "significantly more powerful" graphics processor.

Purported "iPad 3" parts continue to appear as time ticks down to an anticipated March 7 unveiling of the next-generation touchscreen tablet. Other recent leaks include the external case design, and even a microscope-enhanced look at an alleged third-generation iPad LCD screen, offering further evidence that the device will feature a high-resolution Retina Display.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 146
1) It looks legit, even if just a prototype, but we haven't seen a metal heatsink over the CPU PoP before.

2) The 'X' does make some sense. There is a tricky release for ARM chips over the next year. Right now quad-core Cortex-A9s are ramping up but by the time the next iPhone is out dual-core Cortex-A15 will be ramping up with quad-core Cortex-A15s supposedly coming about this time next year right in time for the iPad 4. All that makes me think this 'X" means that this will be an A5 with 2x in the number of CPU cores, number of GPU cores and amount of RAM. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad 4 comes with an A6X still using a quad-core GPU and having 1GB RAM so this X would really either be for the CPU cores doubling or just a way for Apple to separate the iPad and iPhone A-chips.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 146
I bet the A5X is a TSMC part on their 28mn processes
post #4 of 146
: (

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #5 of 146
Normally parts leaked showing an X are prototype parts. It could be that this is just a prototype part that will not be in the production model. We will soon find out as March approaches.
post #6 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't get hung up on nomenclature. It's what it can do that's important.

post #7 of 146
Is this for the iPad2S and the iPad3HD will be something different? Ha..!!
post #8 of 146
well all we know is that its going to be faster and graphics are to be alot better so it doesn't matter what it is with the retina alone it has to be more powerful
post #9 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Don't get hung up on nomenclature. It's what it can do that's important.

The way I see it this particular nomenclature means it's not quad core:

post #10 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko024 View Post

Is this for the iPad2S and the iPad3HD will be something different? Ha..!!

As in the "iPad 2 Screen" :P
post #11 of 146
Quote:

The way I see it this particular nomenclature means it's not quad core:

Being quad-core or not quad-core doesn't matter. Note that the first Cortex-A15's will smoke Cortex-A9 yet will only be dual-core. But all that's beside the point but there is no evidence to support this is not quad-core Cortex-A9 so don't get all frowny face over something that isn't substantiated.

Now let's talk about it being a dual-core Cortex-A9 and not quad-core. Quantify the very specific ways it would ruin your iPad experience. Note that I'm asking you something impossible to answer, hence you should only react to actual shortcomings that are quantifiable, not mythical.

post #12 of 146
Quote:

Being quad-core or not quad-core doesn't matter.

I matters to me. When you're on iOS 7 it will matter. It matters.

But as I sold my iPad 2 so I have no choice, but I won't say I'm not : ( when I am. Hope it's quad core.
post #13 of 146
As long as it has 1GB of RAM I'm happy.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #14 of 146
Quote:

I matters to me. When you're on iOS 7 it will matter. It matters.

You keep making stuff mythical scenarios the can't be backed up. So in your mind the dual-core Cortex-A15 running at 1.5GHz will be worse than a quad-core Cortex-A9 running at 800MHz simply because you've decided to focus only on one aspect and then hold it up as being the only thing that has ever mattered.. right now. That's not healthy. It leads to you disappointed for foolish reasons and not being objective.

Quote:
Hope it's quad core.

Me too, along with many other HW upgrades.

post #15 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

As long as it has 1GB of RAM I'm happy.

Doubt that it will. More likely to retain the 512mb ram and add some VRAM. It's not like the iPad 2 ever gets sluggish, regardless of the number of apps you have running.
post #16 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A picture that appears to show the logic board for Apple's next-generation iPad shows a system-on-a-chip labeled "A5X" rather than the "A6" processor that has been rumored.

No no no. The new iPad 3 will have a multi-core chip and a high res display. Apple never disappoints.
post #17 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Doubt that it will. More likely to retain the 512mb ram and add some VRAM. It's not like the iPad 2 ever gets sluggish, regardless of the number of apps you have running.

I don't think the iPad uses VRAM, but DRAM. Since the IGP needs to allocate RAM from the system RAM I'd think 512MB would be too little for pushing 4x as many pixels.

post #18 of 146
Let the wailing of the spec whores begin.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 146
So, the iPad 2X (for 2x linear increase in resolution) will have a pentacore chip.
post #20 of 146
Quote:

It's not like the iPad 2 ever gets sluggish, regardless of the number of apps you have running.

Oh yes it does! All the time!

post #21 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

So, the iPad 2X (for 2x linear increase in resolution) will have a pentacore chip.

Dammit! Now if it's only quad-core I'll have to be disappointed.

post #22 of 146
Quote:

Oh yes it does! All the time!

Not in my experience and I run LOADS (40+ apps). Including logmein, goto manage. Not to mention pages, numbers plus gta 3 and infinity blade 2 along with syncing 3 exchange accounts and an iCloud account.

I think that you would be hard pressed to run more demanding apps, unless of course you jailbreak and any sluggish behaviour you encounter then is of your own making tbh.
post #23 of 146
Quote:

Not in my experience and I run LOADS (40+ apps). Including logmein, goto manage. Not to mention pages, numbers plus gta 3 and infinity blade 2 along with syncing 3 exchange accounts and an iCloud account.

I think that you would be hard pressed to run more demanding apps, unless of course you jailbreak and any sluggish behaviour you encounter then is of your own making tbh.

No, just Safari with multiple tabs.

post #24 of 146
Usually when something like this comes along, we all think of ways it might not be real (prototype, it's for the cheap iPad 2S model, etc), and then it turns out to be real. So I'm guessing the iPad 3 has a modified A5 in it.

As a rule: When Apple rumours promise more, they're wrong. When Apple rumours say we're getting less, they're right.

In that spirit:

There's 1 model (i.e., no smaller display version, no cheap version, just the usual models), it looks the same as the iPad 2, it almost definitely has a retina display, it has a speed bumped A5 (or maybe just an A5 with better graphics) and it doesn't have 4G.

That's what I'm expecting.
post #25 of 146
Quote:

No, just Safari with multiple tabs.

What has that got to do with the device? Nothing

A) you have only recently got into computers, maybe starting with an iPad
B) you have only recently got into trolling

If you can tell me which then I might bother to explain your "dilemma"
you only have freedom in choice when you know you have no choice
post #26 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Usually when something like this comes along, we all think of ways it might not be real (prototype, it's for the cheap iPad 2S model, etc), and then it turns out to be real. So I'm guessing the iPad 3 has a modified A5 in it.

As a rule: When Apple rumours promise more, they're wrong. When Apple rumours say we're getting less, they're right.

In that spirit:

There's 1 model (i.e., no smaller display version, no cheap version, just the usual models), it looks the same as the iPad 2, it almost definitely has a retina display, it has a speed bumped A5 (or maybe just an A5 with better graphics) and it doesn't have 4G.

Think you are probably right. Drop the price of the iPad 2, introduce the iPad 3 (maybe 2S?) with 'retina' display, more horsepower and graphics to power it, better camera and a better Mic system to allow Siri to operate well. Al based around the A5 chip but on a smaller die with increased clock speed etc.
post #27 of 146
Maybe the X mens it will OS X Lion so it'll finally be a real computer instead of a toy! *gasp*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

What has that got to do with the device? Nothing

A) you have only recently got into computers, maybe starting with an iPad
B) you have only recently got into trolling

If you can tell me which then I might bother to explain your "dilemma"

His point is relevant. His initial response was hoping for 1GB RAM which will help with the Safari app in general, especially with multiple pages rendered.

post #28 of 146
OMG! You mean it won't go to 11? What will I do? I know. I'll threaten to buy some other tablet. Or will I hold my breath until Apple realizes that I live and die on specs?
post #29 of 146
Quote:

You're not running all those apps at once. In simplified terms, they are in a suspended state. Obviously the exchange accounts work a tad differently since they are able to retrieve data without being opened by the user.

Apps such as GarageBand with many tracks; safari with tons of tabs; and new 3rd party apps like avid would be better candidates for using/desiring more ram.
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
post #30 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

You're not running all those apps at once. In simplified terms, they are in a suspended state. Obviously the exchange accounts work a tad differently since they are able to retrieve data without being opened by the user.

Apps such as GarageBand with many tracks; safari with tons of tabs; and new 3rd party apps like avid would be better candidates for using/desiring more ram.

They would certainly benefit/make use of more resources but they are coded based on the current configuration and as such run smoothly.

However, I believe that going to 1GB of RAM would have to be an absolute necessity for Apple before they would do it. Having more RAM = less battery life and we know how Apple feel about battery life. This is also going to be why the new iPad will not support LTE.
post #31 of 146
Quote:

iPad 2S.

No Retina Display.
No multi-core.
No LTE.
No 8MP camera.
No 1Meg RAM.
No NFC.
No Siri.

Faster, but otherwise pretty much the same.

Everybody will be disappointed. Everybody will buy one.
post #32 of 146
Quote:

In that spirit:

Didn't the Wall Street Journal already report that the new iPad would be sporting 4G LTE capability when it's released? Generally, the WSJ doesn't post rumors.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
post #33 of 146
Quote:

Way off. It's easy to overtax the ipad2. Try adding a few thousand map overlays.
post #34 of 146
As far as the Specs go, as always we will have to wait and see.

The main thing is thinking about the market strategy of the iPad. Right now it controls the greater share of the "Tablet" market. If Apple want to keep running up their share in the market they now are going to have to appeal to those people who care about the specs of a device, even if they will never really need it or use it.

Apple more often then not will not worry about that portion of the market that only buys a device based on its specs, ex. the iPhone and its camera. Instead as always they will increase the iPads " functionality" and some of its bells and whistles. I think this update of the iPad is going to focus more on the graphics and the display, then we will get more out of the Processor, RAM ect. the next go around.

Also with the announcement in March I wouldn't be surprised if they used a new Apple TV to show off the expanding airplay features of their devices.
post #35 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

OMG! You mean it won't go to 11? What will I do? I know. I'll threaten to buy some other tablet. Or will I hold my breath until Apple realizes that I live and die on specs?

LOL regarding the "won't go to 11". What was the name that show? I need to watch it again.
post #36 of 146
Quote:

His point is relevant. His initial response was hoping for 1GB RAM which will help with the Safari app in general, especially with multiple pages rendered.

Really? I must be special then cause I can have many tabs open all with complex pages and it all goes nicely. Unless... the Internet is made up of varying connection speeds, with varying connection speeds to the websites I am on and a varying number of people accessing those websites.

In which case, as with every device I have the performance can suffer.

The worst thing is the order of downloading and rendering elements on a page which can cause delays, stalls and jumpy pages. This isn't ram related either

But sure, knock yourself out, surf the web on 32gig of memory if you think it solves the underlying issues.
post #37 of 146
Apple doesn't build hardware that goes to waste. The next iPad will have as much speed and as much ram as possible while maximizing battery life and minimizing cost. The calculation is complicated, but Apple is very good at it.

It is utter nonsense for ya'll to look at one factor (the number of cores) in isolation. This thread is futile.
post #38 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

LOL regarding the "won't go to 11". What was the name that show? I need to watch it again.

This Is Spinal Tap.
post #39 of 146
iPad³
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
post #40 of 146
Imagine that. A bullshit rumor.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'A5X' CPU featured on purported Apple 'iPad 3' logic board