or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'A5X' CPU featured on purported Apple 'iPad 3' logic board
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'A5X' CPU featured on purported Apple 'iPad 3' logic board - Page 2

post #41 of 146
No one has mentioned that the Apple A4 chip is code named S5L8930X and that the Apple A5 chip is code named S5L8940X. Therefore, logic suggests that the chip to be featured in the iPad 3 will be code named S5L8950X which suggests that the Apple A5X chip, code named S5L8945X, is a prototype.

Either way, if coding found in the iOS 5.1 beta is to be believed, the Apple A5X is reportedly a quad-core chip.
post #42 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

What has that got to do with the device? Nothing

A) you have only recently got into computers, maybe starting with an iPad
B) you have only recently got into trolling

If you can tell me which then I might bother to explain your "dilemma"

A) I'm a computer science major (graduate student) doing research on parallel computing. Heck, look at my sig.
B) I'm not a troll.

The 512MB in the iPad 2 is just not enough. How do I know? Try opening multiple tabs in Safari. My RAM complaint with the iPad is legitimate. Why are you trying to label it as trolling? I had the original iPad and it was slooooooooow so I replaced it immediately with the iPad 2. Much better; but with lots of tabs open it does get slow at times. Maybe I have become spoiled by very fast machines but I'm not trolling. I will get the iPad 3, 1GB of RAM or not, because there will be performance improvements. But I sincerely hope that it has at least 1GB. Having pages reload just because I have lots of tabs open completely ruins the experience, especially if you had some forms filled in some tab and switched to another tab and switched back just to see the page reloading.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #43 of 146
It's transferring 4 times the pixel rate now. 'X', my guess ..is the graphics throughput/
support instruction set is extended.

Although I hope it is an A6(who doesn't), I am getting used to
Apple's evolution speed.

As long as they keep the whole use experience ahead of upcoming Android ICS/JB or win phone 8. Going to be tougher this year.
post #44 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcat View Post

It's transferring 4 times the pixel rate now. 'X', my guess ..is the graphics throughput/
support instruction set is extended.

Although I hope it is an A6(who doesn't), I am getting used to
Apple's evolution speed.

As long as they keep the whole use experience ahead of upcoming Android ICS/JB or win phone 8. Going to be tougher this year.

What the SoC is name doesn't really matter. If it can be as much of a performance jump as the iPad 2 was to the original iPad then they could call it A3 for all I care.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #45 of 146
I don't want an iPad. I don't want any tablet. I am fine with my i7 MacBook Pro.
post #46 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I don't want an iPad. I don't want any tablet. I am fine with my i7 MacBook Pro.

So why post in the thread?
post #47 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So why post in the thread?

I don't know.
post #48 of 146
It's probably unrealistic to expect this awesome new display, a quad core processor, double RAM, etc. all in iPad 3 due to costs. If the new display costs substantially more than the current one, Apple will have to find savings elsewhere to maintain the current pricing and healthy margins.

I think most customers will far happier with the retina display than more RAM and a faster processor this year. But you aren't happy, wait for the iPad 3S next year.
post #49 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You keep making stuff mythical scenarios the can't be backed up. So in your mind the dual-core Cortex-A15 running at 1.5GHz will be worse than a quad-core Cortex-A9 running at 800MHz simply because you've decided to focus only on one aspect and then hold it up as being the only thing that has ever mattered.. right now.

They are going to go from 1000MHz to 800MHz? Precisely what planet are you from?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #50 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbook View Post

Imagine that. A bullshit rumor.

lol...
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #51 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_plinker View Post

I bet the A5X is a TSMC part on their 28mn processes

Could very well be. Or it could be a base A5 with more RAM. Another possibility is an A5 engineered for a low cost iPad. That is we could see an A6 in the high resolution iPads at a higher cost with the A5X rev targeting an entry level iPad.

There are many possibilities here. I would be surprised though if Apple upgrade the GPU enough to drive a retina display and kept the processor name the same.
post #52 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I matters to me. When you're on iOS 7 it will matter. It matters.

But as I sold my iPad 2 so I have no choice, but I won't say I'm not : ( when I am. Hope it's quad core.

Oh God...

If I used this logic, I wouldn't buy a quad core either because eventually iOS 11 will drop someday.
post #53 of 146
Cortex A9 cores are hitting 2.5 GHz on some processes at virtually the same power levels. Apple could double computational performance with just two Cortex cores if they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Being quad-core or not quad-core doesn't matter. Note that the first Cortex-A15's will smoke Cortex-A9 yet will only be dual-core. But all that's beside the point but there is no evidence to support this is not quad-core Cortex-A9 so don't get all frowny face over something that isn't substantiated.

Now let's talk about it being a dual-core Cortex-A9 and not quad-core. Quantify the very specific ways it would ruin your iPad experience. Note that I'm asking you something impossible to answer, hence you should only react to actual shortcomings that are quantifiable, not mythical.
post #54 of 146
That is without the issue of a bigger frame buffer for a high resolution display. Even today there are apps that could obviously use more RAM beyond Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

You're not running all those apps at once. In simplified terms, they are in a suspended state. Obviously the exchange accounts work a tad differently since they are able to retrieve data without being opened by the user.

Apps such as GarageBand with many tracks; safari with tons of tabs; and new 3rd party apps like avid would be better candidates for using/desiring more ram.
post #55 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Oh God...

If I used this logic, I wouldn't buy a quad core either because eventually iOS 11 will drop someday.

The iPad is coming in two weeks it could have dual or quad core, I want quad core. OK!!!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #56 of 146
You cant fit a Quad Core inside without a 28nm die shrink.

And the Yield for 28nm LP aren't anywhere near iPad 3 requirement.
post #57 of 146
It is really driving me crazy
waiting for the IPad 3 ......
or wait IPad2S !
post #58 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe the X mens it will OS X Lion...

The X Men are involved on this one?

Then it's going to be fucking awesome!
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
post #59 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post

It is really driving me crazy
waiting for the IPad 3 ......
or wait IPad2S !

2S.

No retina screen.
No quad core.
post #60 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

2S.

No retina screen.
No quad core.

That would really suck. Can't see a reason to buy an iPad 2S.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #61 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Really? I must be special then cause I can have many tabs open all with complex pages and it all goes nicely. Unless... the Internet is made up of varying connection speeds, with varying connection speeds to the websites I am on and a varying number of people accessing those websites.

In which case, as with every device I have the performance can suffer.

The worst thing is the order of downloading and rendering elements on a page which can cause delays, stalls and jumpy pages. This isn't ram related either

But sure, knock yourself out, surf the web on 32gig of memory if you think it solves the underlying issues.

If you think you can have the GPU need 4x as much RAM for itself and still not affect the RAM for the system then make a case that 512MB will be enough.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #62 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

2S.

No retina screen.
No quad core.

What price? $399 ??
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #63 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

No one has mentioned that the Apple A4 chip is code named S5L8930X and that the Apple A5 chip is code named S5L8940X. Therefore, logic suggests that the chip to be featured in the iPad 3 will be code named S5L8950X which suggests that the Apple A5X chip, code named S5L8945X, is a prototype.

Either way, if coding found in the iOS 5.1 beta is to be believed, the Apple A5X is reportedly a quad-core chip.

Actually I have pointed out model numbers before. Twice now. And what I said then is even more true now. I also disagree with you. When the original report said the iPad 3 will be S5L8945X I said it sounds more like a reworked / enhanced A5 rather than a new generation A6 which should be the S5L8950X.

It still could be a quad-core Cortex A9 though if Apple's thinking is the 40X series is Cortex A9 based and the next 50X series next year will be Cortex A15 based.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #64 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Don't get hung up on nomenclature. It's what it can do that's important.

Just like the folks that complained about the 4s not being the 5, even though it was totally re-designed on the inside.
post #65 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post

It is really driving me crazy
waiting for the IPad 3 ......
or wait IPad2S !

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

2S.

No retina screen.
No quad core.


iPad³

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #66 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) It looks legit, even if just a prototype, but we haven't seen a metal heatsink over the CPU PoP before.

2) The 'X' does make some sense. There is a tricky release for ARM chips over the next year. Right now quad-core Cortex-A9s are ramping up but by the time the next iPhone is out dual-core Cortex-A15 will be ramping up with quad-core Cortex-A15s supposedly coming about this time next year right in time for the iPad 4. All that makes me think this 'X" means that this will be an A5 with 2x in the number of CPU cores, number of GPU cores and amount of RAM. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad 4 comes with an A6X still using a quad-core GPU and having 1GB RAM so this X would really either be for the CPU cores doubling or just a way for Apple to separate the iPad and iPhone A-chips.

I think the A15 will probably be implemented by Apple end of 2012 to mid 2013 as ARM's big.Little, that is, dualcore A7 paired with dualcore A15. A pure dualcore A15 consumes relatively large amounts of power. I think Apple will invest more in the GPU side of things, while keeping ARM dualcore A9. Alongside their custom designs, I think the A5X is a beefy GPU, tweaked dualcore A9, and 768MB of RAM, possibly 1GB. Yes, for that huge resolution 1GB of total RAM is ideal, but you could get by on 768MB. It depends on the Quartz implementation in driving that resolution.
post #67 of 146
[insult removed]
post #68 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

iPad³


At least they didn't call it the A5S

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #69 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I matters to me. When you're on iOS 7 it will matter. It matters.

But as I sold my iPad 2 so I have no choice, but I won't say I'm not : ( when I am. Hope it's quad core.

Are you seriously saying you won't have sold your iPad 3 by the time iOS 7 rolls around?
post #70 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you think you can have the GPU need 4x as much RAM for itself and still not affect the RAM for the system then make a case that 512MB will be enough.

AFAIK, GPU RAM requirements don't scale like you mention... 4x the pixels does not mean 4x the RAM required.

Let's take the framebuffer itself. In theory, even a 8MB video card can handle 1920x1080 at 32bit colour: http://superuser.com/questions/25693...m-requirements

So, why do we need 256MB video cards? Well, because of how 3D is implemented by GPUs ~ this was a hot topic back when beyond-720p resolutions started to be supported by PCs.

For example, in Oblivion, at 0xAA, even at 1600x1200, only just over 200MB VRAM was being used. And, at 640x480, ~almost~ 200MB VRAM was still being used. Memory requirements jump when implementing 2xAA and 4xAA, but not in any linear fashion:

http://www.yougamers.com/articles/13...ly_need-page3/
post #71 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Are you seriously saying you won't have sold your iPad 3 by the time iOS 7 rolls around?

Of course, I lie to myself a lot.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #72 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Alongside their custom designs, I think the A5X is a beefy GPU, tweaked dualcore A9, and 768MB of RAM, possibly 1GB. Yes, for that huge resolution 1GB of total RAM is ideal, but you could get by on 768MB. It depends on the Quartz implementation in driving that resolution.

1) I could see it being dual-core but I'm leaning toward quad-core.

2) I didn't mean to imply that 1GB was the minimum amount of RAM, but that more than 512MB is need and that 1GB would be the next step for what I think is dual-channel LP-DDR2.

3) You clearly understand the working of RAM and GPU better than me so do you think that 1GB is the most likely scenario or just ideal?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #73 of 146
Additionally, since regular RAM not dedicated VRAM is being used, 4x or even 2x the RAM does not translate directly to better performance, since regular RAM is far slower than VRAM. Again, it depends on the Quartz implementation...

"Three big rendering technologies have become standard in the past few years and they place huge demands on the RAM: normal mapping, anti-aliasing and post-processing. "

http://www.yougamers.com/articles/13...ly_need-page2/

Note that for 2D Retina, normal mapping, anti-aliasing and post-processing won't be used heavily.
post #74 of 146
You people think that iPhone 5 will have Dual Core or Quad?? that should answer your question, by the time iPhone 5 comes out everyone will be using Quad I don't think apple will want to stay behind regardless if its a better A5 chip when you say Quad vs Dual core everone automatically thinks better, would not help apple against adroid people comparing there android phone with Quad core vs Dual
post #75 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...I didn't mean to imply that 1GB was the minimum amount of RAM, but that more than 512MB is need and that 1GB would be the next step for what I think is dual-channel LP-DDR2.

Yeah, fair enough, 1GB sounds like the sweet spot. Has anyone decoded those Hynix module serials/etc?
post #76 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple702 View Post

You people think that iPhone 5 will have Dual Core or Quad?? that should answer your question, by the time iPhone 5 comes out everyone will be using Quad I don't think apple will want to stay behind regardless if its a better A5 chip when you say Quad vs Dual core everone automatically thinks better, would not help apple against adroid people comparing there android phone with Quad core vs Dual

But that's not how Apple rolls. What advantage could a quad iPhone 5 offer over dual ARM with a great GPU?

Intel's solution for a decade was just throwing more CPU at a problem until it went away. We now know, that's not the only way to go. How is an iPhone 4 able to render Flash-equivalent graphics at a miniscule fraction of Flash taking 100% CPU of a Core 2 Duo? Because pure CPU grunt isn't everything.
post #77 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple702 View Post

by the time iPhone 5 comes out everyone will be using Quad I don't think apple will want to stay behind

Apple couldn't care less.

Right now, a 2.5 year old iPhone with an 800MHz processor DOWNCLOCKED to 600MHz sells better than ANY brand new phone from ANY other company. Even the ones with dual core 1.2GHz chips.

No one cares about that stuff. Least of all Apple.

Quad core phone. That'll be the day. You'll see some this year, sure. Android has to pretend to compete in some way. All they ever do is specs for no reason.

They'll release 1.5GHz quad core phones. And they'll get 3 hours of battery life and be too hot to use safely. You'll see people complain about their screens having a square discoloration from the heat these things put off. The phones will ruin themselves and you won't hear a peep from the anti-Apple brigade here. They'll just pay attention to "real" problems, like the iPhone 4's antenna.
post #78 of 146
[insult removed]

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #79 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

But that's not how Apple rolls. What advantage could a quad iPhone 5 offer over dual ARM with a great GPU?

Intel's solution for a decade was just throwing more CPU at a problem until it went away. We now know, that's not the only way to go. How is an iPhone 4 able to render Flash-equivalent graphics at a miniscule fraction of Flash taking 100% CPU of a Core 2 Duo? Because pure CPU grunt isn't everything.


I understand what your saying I just dont see apple going that route, can you imagine Iphone 4s or Ipad 2 with an improve CPU instead they whent Dual core its what everyone else were going to Dual core same situation everone going Quad core can't picture Iphone 5 with Dual core honestly stop and think iphone 5 comes out late in the year by then everyone will be Quad core for sure. Can you imagine lets say your right ipad3/iphone5 with improve Dual Core? All the will do is fall a year behind everyone else if they go by those standards
post #80 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple702 View Post

I understand what your saying I just dont see apple going that route, can you imagine Iphone 4s or Ipad 2 with an improve CPU instead they whent Dual core its what everyone else were going to Dual core same situation everone going Quad core can't picture Iphone 5 with Dual core honestly stop and think iphone 5 comes out late in the year by then everyone will be Quad core for sure. Can you imagine lets say your right ipad3/iphone5 with improve Dual Core? All the will do is fall a year behind everyone else if they go by those standards

Actually they won't. For this year's holiday season dual-core Cortex-A15 smartphones will be the best option fpr CPU performance.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'A5X' CPU featured on purported Apple 'iPad 3' logic board