or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › 'iPad 3' rumored to launch in Germany on March 23
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'iPad 3' rumored to launch in Germany on March 23 - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So now being accurate is somehow wrong?


I do care, because I care about accuracy. I don't care for liars, trolls or those spreading FUD because they have some ill-placed hate for a company yet frequent a forum that is about said company.


It's ideological reasons but go ahead and slander. My question to you is why can't not like the way carriers gauge customers for SMS -and- know how the fuck it works.


If you care about how things work you will care. If you are on a tech-based forum I'd expect that overwhelming majority would care how things work. Of course there will always be people like you and DaHarder that have no interest in how things work just so long as they you can spin it into Apple is doomed!


If you don't care how things work then you shouldn't be telling others how they work. If you do change your mind and actually care about having a mature conversation about technology let us know.

Personal attacks is not mature.

It just works. Isnt that an apple mantra? That is like caring about specs vs user experience.
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

For year I have been able to send an SMS to a phone from iChat using my AIM account. I know that Apple and AIM are working together behind the scenes to deliver that SMS to the phone so I consider it an SMS. How many ones and zeros it uses is not important to me. For all intents and purposes it is an SMS.

AOL clearly has SMSC servers but do you really think that message that leaves your AIM app is going over the control channel of your cellular phone? I sure hope not. Remember this was designed when data on phones wasn't around or common so it was a way to send small packets of text to other phones. They simply are not the same and look nothing alike when you break apart the data. It's about the protocols being used, not the number of 1's and 0's.

I feel like I'm telling people that HSPA isn't the same as WiFi but being told they are because they are both wireless. There are very distinct differences even if you use many devices as a gateway to create a Personal Hotspot but that don't mean that WiFi is HPSA and vice verse. Technology simply don't work that way.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

no one brought up iMessages but you. its a failed arguement. iMessage is not SMS

But you can send messages between phones so surely they must be¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

AOL clearly has SMSC servers but do you really think that message that leaves your AIM app is going over the control channel of your cellular phone? I sure hope not. Remember this was designed when data on phones wasn't around or common so it was a way to send small packets of text to other phones. They simply are not the same and look nothing alike when you break apart the data.

I feel like I'm telling people that HSPA isn't the same as WiFi but being told they are because they are both wireless. There are very distinct differences even if you use many devices as a gateway to create a Personal Hotspot but that don't mean that WiFi is HPSA and vice verse. Technology simply don't work that way.

Ok have it your way. I want to send some 'unnamed thing' that looks exactly like an SMS from my computer to a cell phone... and I can.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ok have it your way. I want to send some 'unnamed thing' that looks exactly like an SMS from my computer to a cell phone... and I can.

Then that describes iMessages to a tee, it even melds in with SMS part of the app on the iPhone, yet I was just told that you can't call iMessages SMS even though that person previously defined SMS in a way that included iMessages.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But you can send messages between phones so surely they must be¡

I believe that is your argument you are trying to argue against which is a fail.
Printed emails via usps and iMessage.

That fact that you can send and receive sms from google voice to a dumb phone that does not require data service clearly shows that google voice does a translation to make it compliant to send that message using sms protocol
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

I believe that is your argument you are trying to argue against which is a fail.
Printed emails via usps and iMessage.

That fact that you can send and receive sms from google voice to a dumb phone that does not require data service clearly shows that google voice does a translation to make it compliant to send that message using sms protoco!

Which is what I stated. Finally you agree!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Unless you actually are Newt Gingrich (and I am not convinced you are not), I am guessing if you two ever met you would be either best friends for life or kill each other within an hour.

Hate Apple? I have been using nothing but Apple computers since 1982. You made an idiotic comment and instead of just letting it go and accepting the fact that most reasonable people accept the fact that you can send and receive texts from an iPad over WiFi you start some insane argument to defend your position. I have been on these forums for years and have observed time and time again you belittling and disparaging other people for no other reason than they dare disagree with Apple or you. Take a Xanax and relax a little. It really is not that serious.

1) I see where you're belittling but where did I belittle you.

2) Now you say texts instead of SMS. If by now you don't see how all SMS are texts but not all texts are SMS then there is nothing I can say to make you understand this 30 year old tech.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Which is what I stated. Finally you agree!


You've stated many many things. Mainly argumentative things that you have stated. I never argued google voice did not do any translation. Argument was google voice message considered sms which it is. You argue it isnt sms.
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

You've stated many many things. Mainly argumentative things that you have stated. I never argued google voice did not do any translation. Argument was google voice message considered sms which it is. You argue it isnt sms.

I stated many thinks backed up by facts. You stated many opinions that refused to do a modicum of research to see that everything I stated was true. I clearly stated that Google Voice relates to SMS but to say that they entire path is SMS even when you receive it as an email is axiomatically false. There is no way that can be true from a technological point of view.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then that describes iMessages to a tee, it even melds in with SMS part of the app on the iPhone, yet I was just told that you can't call iMessages SMS even though that person previously defined SMS in a way that included iMessages.

Let's define the terms as the cellphone being a dumb phone with txt plan. The computer should be any computer, say one running Fedora core, no iMessage involved. I know it works because I have built that exact SMS server in my studio and researched the pricing structure for SMS bulk plans for which there are several third party vendors. I chose not to use their bulk plans because they start at 500 messages a month but instead pay on a per use case.

The SMS message goes to the vendor over the Internet not through my cell phone. I use this for one of my real estate friends for their rentals. Not my core business but I set it up for them since I know a bit about UNIX programming. The vendor sends me a message over the Internet which is coming from a cell phone sent to a special six character code. I process the request and send a reply to the vendor who passes it back to the the originating phone user.

No iMessage.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #52 of 67
It's hilarious. The blatant troll posts get deleted while the article still remains ignored in favor of an argument over a slightly less blatant trolling post.

Not trolling, rather, just completely detached from reality.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's hilarious. The blatant troll posts get deleted while the article still remains ignored in favor of an argument over a slightly less blatant trolling post.

Not trolling, rather, just completely detached from reality.

Not really. Who doesn't want to be able to send SMS from their iPad?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not really. Who doesn't want to be able to send SMS from their iPad?

Me. SMS can't die fast enough for my taste. The less money the telecoms can extort from us, the better.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I stated many thinks backed up by facts. You stated many opinions that refused to do a modicum of research to see that everything I stated was true. I clearly stated that Google Voice relates to SMS but to say that they entire path is SMS even when you receive it as an email is axiomatically false. There is no way that can be true from a technological point of view.


Here you go again adding another augmentative point that you no one stated but you.
"when you receive it as an email is axiomatically false" No one went there.
You only get it as an email from google voice if you have settings forwarded to your email.
You can have google voice forward that sms to a dumb phone via sms.

Dont get hung up on the last mile part of sms. There many forms of sms that require different protocols when using plmn or pstn.
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's hilarious. The blatant troll posts get deleted while the article still remains ignored in favor of an argument over a slightly less blatant trolling post.

Not trolling, rather, just completely detached from reality.

gotta keep this story alive among the many ai has released even though we dont talk about it cause its a rumor
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Here you go again adding another augmentative point that you no one stated but you.
"when you receive it as an email is axiomatically false" No one went there.
You only get it as an email from google voice if you have settings forwarded to your email.
You can have google voice forward that sms to a dumb phone via sms.

Dont get hung up on the last mile part of sms. There many forms of sms that require different protocols when using plmn or pstn.

gwmac clearly stated that you can send and receive SMS to and from an iPad with WiFi. No one has argued I've even defended that sending from and receiving a text message on dumb phone over the carrier ontrol channel is SMS.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Me. SMS can't die fast enough for my taste. The less money the telecoms can extort from us, the better.

$20 bucks isn't going to break the bank, especially for the convenience it offers.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

gwmac clearly stated that you can send and receive SMS to and from an iPad with WiFi. No one has argued I've even defended that sending from and receiving a text message on dumb phone over the carrier ontrol channel is SMS.

Ive been arguing your statement that sms fails to be sms once it gets translated which is utterly false
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Ive been arguing your statement that sms fails to be sms once it gets translated which is utterly false

No you haven't otherwise you wouldn't have then moved the goal posts to state only two dumb phones using Google Voice. And considering the the original comment was about an iPad with WiFi your comment is double wrong.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

No you haven't otherwise you wouldn't have then moved the goal posts to state only two dumb phones using Google Voice. And considering the the original comment was about an iPad with WiFi your comment is double wrong.

The argument was messages sent from google voice still sms even going through ip.
You used the example of printing email and send usps and I replied it would be if usps then retyped that email and send it I received in my email in box. No argument from you cause your exampled failed.

You then tried to argue that sms had a certain protocol which made it sms with 160 character limits and that messages translated wasnt sms anymore. I explained that sms uses a few different protocols when dealing with PLMN or PSTN including tcp/ip. You were hung up last mile delivery methods only. You even introduce iMessage as an argument and how thats what google voice resembles and how notifications via email can never be SMS. Again you introduce arguments not made by me but yourself and argue against it. Again fail.
post #62 of 67
Anyone want a beer before the next round?
post #63 of 67
i want messages app (which is going to be release for ML which include other protocols like google talk, yahoo and other jabber) for iOS too… i want them to sync the same way they sync for iMessages for all the texts from mobile number msgs, google talk msgs, and all the other jabber protocols (if they can include msn too)…

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

i want messages app (which is going to be release for ML which include other protocols like google talk, yahoo and other jabber) for iOS too

You've forgotten AIM, which is the only thing they'd ever actually add to the iOS app.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've forgotten AIM, which is the only thing they'd ever actually add to the iOS app.

i think if they will add AIM, surely they will add other IM client supports which right now ichat is having.
by the way i hate that iMessages doesn't syncs the messages which i get on my iPhone mobile number. i hope they will add that too.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

i think if they will add AIM, surely they will add other IM client supports which right now ichat is having.

But why? AIM and iMessage are the Apple systems. I don't want my iDevices bogged down with Google Talk crap, Facebook chat, Jabber, and anything else. The idea is to move everyone to iMessage and have free messages for everyone. Kill off AIM, Google, Facebook, Jabber, MSN, and even SMS in one fell swoop.

Quote:
by the way i hate that iMessages doesn't syncs the messages which i get on my iPhone mobile number. i hope they will add that too.

That's a bug for you. It's supposed to do that; try resetting your accounts and setting them back up. Unless you mean 'doesn't sync my SMS', in which case of course it doesn't do that.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But why? AIM and iMessage are the Apple systems. I don't want my iDevices bogged down with Google Talk crap, Facebook chat, Jabber, and anything else. The idea is to move everyone to iMessage and have free messages for everyone. Kill off AIM, Google, Facebook, Jabber, MSN, and even SMS in one fell swoop.

I'm not following. AIM isn't an Apple system, it's just the first 3rd-party IM service that Apple teamed with and the one they actually colluded with insofar that @mac.com addresses could be used as AIM names.

As for being bogged down, you simply don't add the services you don't want to use just like in Adium or iChat/Messages.

Quote:
That's a bug for you. It's supposed to do that; try resetting your accounts and setting them back up. Unless you mean 'doesn't sync my SMS', in which case of course it doesn't do that.

The solution is for users to switch from using their phone number to their email address for the iMessages Caller ID in Settings.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › 'iPad 3' rumored to launch in Germany on March 23