or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Google reportedly prepping heads-up display Android eyeglasses for 2012 launch

Google reportedly prepping heads-up display Android eyeglasses for 2012 launch

post #1 of 96
A new report claims Google is readying Android-based smart glasses with a heads-up display for release later this year.

The New York Times cited on Tuesday Google employees familiar with the project as saying that the glasses will cost "around the price of current smartphones," which report author Nick Bilton took to mean between $250-600.

Sources said the eyewear would include a small screen intended to sit just a few inches from the user's eyes. The device will reportedly sport a cellular data connection and a range of sensors including motion and GPS.

The report went on to note that a low-resolution built-in camera would provide an augmented reality view of the world by overlaying information. Privacy, however, is believed to be a concern for Google, as the company is looking to provide a way for others to know if they are being recorded by a user wearing the glasses.

Insiders indicated that the glasses would not be designed for constant use, though some power users would likely choose to wear them a lot.

The project is said to have arisen out of Google's futuristic X lab. The Times reported last year that the Mountain View, Calif., company operated a secret research facility for highly speculative projects. Google Latitude creator Steve Lee is rumored to be one of the major players in the smart glasses project, as well as company co-founder Sergey Brin. A report from the San Jose Mercury News last week claimed Google is outfitting a lab for a mysterious "Project X" that involves "precision optical technology."

The glasses are expected to tap into Google's software products, such as Latitude, Goggles and Maps, to create a unique experience. “You will be able to check in to locations with your friends through the glasses,” tipsters said.

Rather than implementing a new business model for the project, Google is said to be approaching the glasses as an open experiment. If consumers like the device, then the company would investigate money-making options.

A separate report from the Times late last year claimed Apple is also working on wearable devices. For instance, one prototype developed by the company is said to be a "curved-glass iPod that would wrap around the wrist." Users would control the device via voice command, similar to the Siri functionality on the iPhone 4S. However, only a very small number of employees are believed to be at work on wearable electronics projects at Apple.

Apple's iPod lineup has been "wearable" for years, as the company has designed its smaller iPods with clips used to attach the devices to clothing. The current generation of iPod nano also features several clock face options so that the device can be coupled with third-party wristband cases to serve as a watch.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 96
Spectacular. Now I can have ads thrown right into my eyes regardless of the direction I face!

This is WAY too good to be true.
post #3 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rather than implementing a new business model for the project, Google is said to be approaching the glasses as an open experiment. If consumers like the device, then the company would investigate money-making options.

So, they don't really know if it is cool enough to spark consumer interests so they will just throw it out there. It seems they haven't copied everything about Apple. Well, maybe Apple TV, but I think Apple was wrongly certain Apple TV would be a huge hit when they first released it.

Google glasses sound like something Steve Jobs would kick back to the lab. Another geek toy.
post #4 of 96
Quote:
Privacy, hover, is believed to be a concern for Google

Stop it! You're killing me!

Are you kidding? They'll probably turn us into spies for Google Streetview. Also, it'll track the location of the wearer.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

So, they don't really know if it is cool enough to spark consumer interests so they will just throw it out there. It seems they haven't copied everything about Apple. Well, maybe Apple TV, but I think Apple was wrongly certain Apple TV would be a huge hit when they first released it.

Google glasses sound like something Steve Jobs would kick back to the lab. Another geek toy.

The point isn't to get something ground breaking or useful on the market, the point is to get some basic concept in the air so that when Apple shows them how to do it correctly they can just follow suit and then say that it was either obvious all along or that they started it first.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #6 of 96
Quote:

I think Apple was wrongly certain Apple TV would be a huge hit when they first released it

It has always been noting more than a hobby to Apple.
post #7 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It has always been noting more than a hobby to Apple.

Yes... It's been 'noted' several times that Apple TV is regarded by Apple as little more than a 'hobby', though part of that claim is likely driven by the marginal sales of the first iteration of the system.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #8 of 96
I'm waiting for Apple's iGlasses with Retina Display 2.0
post #9 of 96
Quote:

I think Apple was wrongly certain Apple TV would be a huge hit when they first released it.

The real reason Apple released the Apple TV when they did was not because they believed they had a blockbuster product on their hands, rather it was to make it harder for competitors to gain a critical mass. Releasing it when they did bought Apple time to get the business model worked out.
post #10 of 96
[insult removed]
post #11 of 96
Seriously, can we say distracted driving?

I personally don't need to be bombarded right in the face.
post #12 of 96
When geeks run out of their Girl-B-Gone female repellent, they can now use Android glasses as backup.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #13 of 96
Most of us naturally already have built in, super hi-res resolution in our eyes.

So, somebody is going to buy some expensive glasses to put on their head and view the world through a lo-res camera? And yes, I do admit that I am extremely suspicious as to what will be shown in that augmented reality world and what the purpose of it will be. Android? Google? Great, now I will be bombarded by ads to my left and ads to my right. Malware will never be further away than 2 fucking inches from my face.

Aside from my initial reservations about this product, I will reserve final judgement until I actually see what this thing looks like and what it can do.
post #14 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Yes... It's been 'noted' several times that Apple TV is regarded by Apple as little more than a 'hobby', though part of that claim is likely driven by the marginal sales of the first iteration of the system.

So, Android tablets are Google's hobby?
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #15 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Most of us naturally already have built in, super hi-res resolution in our eyes.

So, somebody is going to buy some expensive glasses to put on their head and view the world through a lo-res camera? And yes, I do admit that I am extremely suspicious as to what will be shown in that augmented reality world and what the purpose of it will be. Android? Google? Great, now I will be bombarded by ads to my left and ads to my right. Malware will never be further away than 2 fucking inches from my face.

Aside from my initial reservations about this product, I will reserve final judgement until I actually see what this thing looks like and what it can do.

Snow Crash inches towards reality...

post #16 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Stop it! You're killing me!

Are you kidding? They'll probably turn us into spies for Google Streetview.

Are you kidding? Spies for Google in Apple's labs--which are so secret, they don't have a name. Of course the terms and conditions for use will absolve Google of any fault.
post #17 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

So, Android tablets are Google's hobby?

Given that 'Google' does not even manufacture a tablet device... No!

... at you, not with you.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #18 of 96
Privacy is a fallacy btw. I love how the article is mostly about google glasses, and then there's like 20 pictures of nano clock faces...
post #19 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims Google is readying Android-based smart glasses with a heads-up display for release later this year. ...

Classic!

This is the perfect illustration of where Google is today and why they are failing so badly.

That they could sink all that money into such a moronic project that no one but an engineer or a hard core geek would even be interested in just boggles the mind.
post #20 of 96
Some of you guys need to get your nerd on. Augmented reality is fraking awesome.

Sure this is an enthusiast product now, but when they get to something like this these things are going to be everywhere.
post #21 of 96
Quote:

Snow Crash inches towards reality...

Snow Crash has been real since 2003. It's called Second Life.
post #22 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I love how the article is mostly about google glasses, and then there's like 20 pictures of nano clock faces...

It's like they're some little envy-riddled little brat sobbing and whining, 'but...but... I have a wearable device too'
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #23 of 96
Quote:

Given that 'Google' does not even manufacture a tablet device... No!

... at you, not with you.

Thank God for small fucking favors, eh?

I'm sorry, but anybody who is unable to correctly format even their own signature is in no position to laugh at others.

[/CENTER] Apple the once great 'innovators', now more like the ruthless 'litigators'.[/CENTER]

Is it true that they'll be changing their name to 'Oogle' when these glasses are released?

post #24 of 96
Quote:

Given that 'Google' does not even manufacture a tablet device...

With the acquisition of MMI, Google will effectively be producing a variety of Android devices. It may require "piercing the corporate veil" to get at Google, but for Apple's lawyers, that will be just a minor speed bump.
post #25 of 96
Quote:

Thank God for small fucking favors, eh?

I'm sorry, but anybody who is unable to correctly format even their own signature is in no position to laugh at others.

[/CENTER] Apple the once great 'innovators', now more like the ruthless 'litigators'.[/CENTER]

So... Where does that leave you given that your effort didn't work either?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #26 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Classic!

This is the perfect illustration of where Google is today and why they are failing so badly.

That they could sink all that money into such a moronic project that no one but an engineer or a hard core geek would even be interested in just boggles the mind.

I never thought I'd never say this but this idea as its presented is actually worse than than companies that push out CGI concept videos of products that will never work as presented.

post #27 of 96
Quote:

So... Where does that leave you given that your effort didn't work either?

[/QUOTE]It was done ON PURPOSE to illustrate the problem[/QUOTE].

Signatures: They are DaHardest things to get right.

What brand are these glasses being released under?

Goocci?

post #28 of 96
Quote:

It was done ON PURPOSE to illustrate the problem

No. It. Wasn't... and it looks like honesty and truth are even harder for you.

Regardless... Looking forward to seeing where Google goes with this rather innovative idea.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #29 of 96
Quote:

No. It. Wasn't... and it looks like honesty and truth are even harder for you.

Regardless... Looking forward to seeing where Google goes with this rather innovative idea.

Don't worry!

You can go and change it later when nobody's looking.

post #30 of 96
Quote:

Signatures: They are DaHardest things to get right.

I have no idea why he's putting a forward slash at the front of his markup or why he's still including that markup at all but that used to be his gimmick to get attention when he first started posting here. Everything he wrote was centered just to annoy everyone.

They finally removed the option from vBulletin which spoiled it for the rest of us who were using it appropriately.

When he got called out on it he said he needed it for reading despite the fact that he was reading everyone else's posts just fine and he's still milling about derailing the conversation.

post #31 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have no idea why he's putting a forward slash at the front of his markup or why he's still including that markup at all but that used to be his gimmick to get attention when he first started posting here. Everything he wrote was centered just to annoy everyone.

They finally removed the option from vBulletin which spoiled it for the rest of us who were using it appropriately.

When he got called out on it he said he needed it for reading despite the fact that he was reading everyone else's posts just fine and he's still milling about derailing the conversation.

Ah!

Very interesting!

By the way, love your signature.

I saw him get mistaken just the other day, poor bugger!

Spread the word.

post #32 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

he's still milling about derailing the conversation.

Nowhere near to the level of your needless harassment and senseless arguing with others over things completely unrelated to the topic.

Like this little 'derailment' wherein you were made to look the fool several times earlier today: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=144187

So... Any useful thoughts on Google's prepping of Android-powered heads-up glasses or are you just doing your usual troll-by posting?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #33 of 96
Quote:

Nowhere near to the level of your needless harassment and senseless arguing with others over things completely unrelated to the topic.

Like this little 'derailment' wherein you were made to look the fool several times earlier today: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...hreadid=144187

So... Any useful thoughts on Google's prepping of Android-powered heads-up glasses or are you just doing your usual troll-by posting?

I never posted in that thread.

post #34 of 96
I could see the arguments between DaHarder and Solipsism getting ugly quickly. Though I apologize for getting off topic. Though I'm not the only one.
post #35 of 96
Quote:

I never posted in that thread.

Really.. Maybe it's because your screen name is NOT SolipsismX ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daramouthe View Post

I could see the arguments between DaHarder and Solipsism getting ugly quickly. Though I apologize for getting off topic. Though I'm not the only one.

No Worries... He's not even worth the effort, and I never allow things to get too out-of-hand, especially as I don't use profanity nor do I resort to personal insults, both of which are staples of his posts.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #36 of 96
Quote:

Really.. Maybe it's because your screen name is NOT SolipsismX ?

Or AM I?

post #37 of 96
Please put DaHarder on your ignore list rather than respond.

post #38 of 96
Quote:

...as I don't use profanity nor do I resort to personal insults...

Bullshit!

Oh yeah, have to mention something about Google Glasses even though I am not really making an effort because in my mind it makes me think I'm participating in the original topic¡

post #39 of 96
No Worries... He's not even worth the effort, and I never allow things to get too out-of-hand, especially as I don't use profanity nor do I resort to personal insults, both of which are staples of his posts.[/QUOTE]

That's good, but I wonder what your true intentions are on being on a site that's Apple related when you yourself don't seem like a fan. Neither the products nor the company itself are really likeable by you. Are you here just to bring a balanced conversation or be as many would call an 'Apple hater'?
I myself like reading the posts and reading what people have to say and would probably respond in like, (though sometimes someone else may already put up what I would want to ask or say to begin with). Again apologizes for going off topic, but it is after all a logical reasonable question.
post #40 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Please put DaHarder on your ignore list rather than respond.

He keeps trolling and FUDding around and really makes it easy to bash his arguments so I enjoy proving him wrong at every turn. But I do see your point and I'm not helping by making him post more crap than usual so I will refrain... for the rest of the night.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Google reportedly prepping heads-up display Android eyeglasses for 2012 launch