or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad & MacBooks combine to give Apple 27% share of all mobile PC shipments

iPad & MacBooks combine to give Apple 27% share of all mobile PC shipments

post #1 of 111
The combined total of iPad and MacBook shipments in the fourth quarter of 2011 gave Apple a whopping 26.6 percent share of the mobile PC market, nearly tripling the share held by second-place HP.

Apple's market dominance was revealed on Thursday by NPD DisplaySearch, which tracks mobile PC shipments. They found that Apple shipped 18.7 million iPads, representing nearly 80 percent of the company's mobile PC shipments during the holiday quarter.

When Apple's record iPad sales were combined with its best-ever MacBook sales, Apple achieved shipments of 23.4 million units, good for a 26.6 percent share. That was well ahead of HP's 9.9 percent share from 8.7 million units.

Coming in third was Dell, which shipped 6.9 million mobile PCs and took a 7.9 percent share. Acer was in fourth with 6.8 million shipped for 7.7 percent, while Lenovo was fifth, shipping 6.3 million units for 7.2 percent.

With iPad and portable Mac sales combined, Apple shipped 62.8 million mobile PCs in 2011, DisplaySearch said in its "Quarterly Mobile PC Shipment and Forecast Report." That's up 132 percent year over year, led mostly by the iPad, with 48.4 million total units shipped in calendar 2011.

"Mobile PC brands read the writing on the wall in the fourth quarter," said Richard Shim, senior analyst with NPD DisplaySearch. "Consumer demand for notebooks was expected to be weak following modest back-to-school results, especially with the expected launch of Windows 8 on the horizon, and increasing interest in tablet PCs. As a result, brands focused their typical holiday price cuts on tablets to boost demand."

Apple commanded 59.1 percent of all tablet shipments in the quarter, well ahead of the 16.7 percent share Amazon took in second place with its Kindle Fire. DisplaySearch tracking found that Amazon shipped 5.3 million units in the quarter, more than doubling the 2.1 million tablets shipped by Samsung.

While Apple dominated in tablets, its MacBook lineup came in fifth place among notebook PC shipments with 4.6 million units shipped and an 8.3 percent share. In first place was HP, which shipped 8.7 million laptops and took 15.5 percent of the market.

In second was Dell, which shipped 6.7 million laptops for 11.8 percent, followed closely by Acer with 6.6 million portable PCs, and Lenovo, with 6.1 million.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 111
I'm still not convinced that the iPad is a "PC", but rather a post-PC device. Still, Apple's market share of mobile computing devices is impressive.
post #3 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm still not convinced that the iPad is a "PC", but rather a post-PC device. Still, Apple's market share of mobile computing devices is impressive.

The iPad is a mobile PC as much as many other computing devices that qualify as laptops. It may not have all the bells and whistles of a top of the range MBP, but neither do most low end laptops.

post #4 of 111
I would like to see the breakdown of portable PC sales by price. Which brands are selling more in each price range? Do HP and Dell only have good sales in the low end market? Which percentage of their sales is for items below $300 or above $400? Which company is leading in each price segment? I suppose they don't publish that data.
post #5 of 111
This would explain why whenever I travel I see a massive predominance of glowing Apple Logos in hotels, airports and restaurants. I am guessing the majority of the other 70 something % are at home, plugged in and chugging through updates to virus databases or on a shelf unused.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #6 of 111
Quote:

Please see the original article:
http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde..._full_year.asp

They did a pretty good job of breaking out tablets vs laptops.

The tablet info is interesting. Apple 18.7 M, Amazon 5.3 M, Samsung 2.1 M. It would be interesting to know how they counted Amazon's products. The number appears to be too large for just Fire shipments, but too low for all Kindle products.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #7 of 111
Quote:

Is it a computer? Yes.

Is it a personal computing device? Yes.

Think of it as PC 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #8 of 111
Quote:

Prior to iOS 5, the iPad was not a PC. Now that it can be set up and used as a standalone device without having to involve another computer at any point, I think it's legitimate to classify it as a PC.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #9 of 111
Quote:

There many ways to look at it. This reminds me when someone asked me if the Bahamas were part of the Caribbean and I didn't know what answer would be best.

As already stated they are computers and they are personal. We also count all other tablets that are running a desktop version of Windows as "PCs' so the exclusion seems to be from the OS. We're also seeing the iPad (not other tablets) stealing "PC" marketshare.

Personally I think it should be separate if they think it should be separate. I also don't think that the Kindle Fire should be counted because it's really just an eReader that was given some multimedia HW and SW support and missing a lot of the aspects that would me a "PC" replacement.

IF Windows 8 can make any headway on tablets perhaps we'll see a change in how the tablet market is recorded. Are they going to split the Win8 OS sales between device types or just lump them together.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #10 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Prior to iOS 5, the iPad was not a PC. Now that it can be set up and used as a standalone device without having to involve another computer at any point, I think it's legitimate to classify it as a PC.

That was certainly the leading argument as to why it's not a PC or a replacement for a PC, but since the iOS 5 betas first came out nearly a year ago the goal posts have moved.

post #11 of 111
I have to join the conversation whether or not and ipad is a "PC". As an owner of the Ipad 2, I say it is not a "PC". If you can add a mouse to the Ipad and M$ office with close to full functions. I will classify the Ipad more like a device for low to mid range computing. Being an engineering major, the ipad will do little of what i need it to do as far as programs. That said, it is great for when i don't need the engineering specific programs.
But until i can have a mouse ( cause it's not efficient in my mind to constantly be touching the screen) then i will see my Ipad as a step below a PC. Especially since some websites still use flash.
post #12 of 111
I remember reading that when the mouse and GUI first appeared most people considered them toys because a real computer needs a command line interface. How long before people realize that history repeats itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I have to join the conversation whether or not and ipad is a "PC". As an owner of the Ipad 2, I say it is not a "PC". If you can add a mouse to the Ipad and M$ office with close to full functions. I will classify the Ipad more like a device for low to mid range computing. Being an engineering major, the ipad will do little of what i need it to do as far as programs. That said, it is great for when i don't need the engineering specific programs.
But until i can have a mouse ( cause it's not efficient in my mind to constantly be touching the screen) then i will see my Ipad as a step below a PC. Especially since some websites still use flash.

That's a ridiculous argument.
post #13 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The tablet info is interesting. Apple 18.7 M, Amazon 5.3 M, Samsung 2.1 M. It would be interesting to know how they counted Amazon's products. The number appears to be too large for just Fire shipments, but too low for all Kindle products.

I also find it interesting that they noted that Apple numbers include inventories and at the same time they don't note that other tablet numbers are estimates
post #14 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I would like to see the breakdown of portable PC sales by price. Which brands are selling more in each price range? Do HP and Dell only have good sales in the low end market? Which percentage of their sales is for items below $300 or above $400? Which company is leading in each price segment? I suppose they don't publish that data.

I'd be more interested to see a chart showing PERSONAL computer purchases separated out from corporate or educational purchases. It would be telling, I bet, to see the numbers when the individual gets to make the call on which computer they will buy rather than an IT dept making that decision for them.
post #15 of 111
Quote:

But until i can have a mouse ( cause it's not efficient in my mind to constantly be touching the screen)

Quote:
Especially since some websites still use flash.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #16 of 111
Quote:

But I have a brand new netbook with Win 7 installed. It does Flash, can have a mouse attached but I would classify it as a device for very low range computing. It grinds to a halt with running Flash, I would not even try running any type of graphics program on it and running office apps is just so frustrating its not worth the bother.

How functional a device is depends entirely on what your needs are so as a criteria it is useless. Will an iPad become a PC if it fulfills all my needs? A large percentage of people that work in offices use PC's but have needs that could arguably be fulfilled with iPads.

I think that there probably needs to be many ways of counting and in each instance the reasons for the criteria need to be stated. In other words there will never be one definitive way of counting market share - some times a computing device is a PC and other times it is not.
post #17 of 111
Apple smashed the opposition.

If they 'iPhone' the iPad's price points with iPad 2 down sizing it's price relative to the iPad 3 it will really give the squeeze.

Amazon only have traction under the iPad.

A lower priced iPad 2 and an iPad mini later will suck the oxygen out of the market.

The writing IS on the wall for HP/Dell etc.

Between laptops and iPads that's an astonishing % of mobile computing. Quite the turnaround from 1997.

With new airs, macbooks and iPads...it's a world of hurt for the opposition this year.

I'll be buying the iPad 3 for starters...

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #18 of 111
I predict that in 1 year if the iPad 3 has a HiDPI display at the same price points that Apple will be pushing 50% unit share for the PC market when including the iPad.

post #19 of 111
On 'Morning Joe' this morning, someone asked the half dozen people sitting at the table, 'When is the last time anyone here bought a PC, or anyone in your family for that matter?'

There was a collective shrugging of shoulders, and a lot of mentioning of Apple products, all mobile.
post #20 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Is it a computer? Yes.

Think of it as PC 2.0.

Yes it is a computer but so is the electronic fuel injection module on my car. My criteria for a personal computer is the ability to write a program on that computer that can be executed on the same machine and be saved to a user accessible file system.

Not to take anything away from the practicality of an iPad. It is a fantastic personal computing device but it is not a real PC in my opinion.

Also if an iPad can be a PC why not make the iPhone a PC. Does screen size have anything to do with being a PC or not?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #21 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes it is a computer but so is the electronic fuel injection module on my car.

You missed the personal part.

Quote:
My criteria for a personal computer is the ability to write a program on that computer that can be executed on the same machine and be saved to a user accessible file system.

Not to take anything away from the practicality of an iPad. It is a fantastic personal computing device but it is not a real PC in my opinion.

And how many people want to do that? Do you really think a criteria that applies to 1% of computer users should dictate in what category a device should be?
post #22 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

That's the first thing that came to mind when someone mentioned the old "Is it really a PC" canard.

Now that the iPad can operated as a standalone device, it turns out that being a real PC requires, variously, being able to run some specific application that I like, being able to allow me to write new software for the iPad on the iPad, being able to hook up to any given peripheral with some arbitrary level of convenience, or some vague business about "walled gardens" and "openness", usually pertaining to access to the file system, being able to install "any" software I chose, customization of the user interface, or all three.

On the last point, no one ever seems to consider that every computer ever made is massively constrained compared to the set of all possible behaviors, and what people are calling "open" is in fact simply a very large walled garden that has become comfortable with familiarity. PCs can't run "any" software, they can't be setup "any" way you like and you can't supersede the many, many conventions that undergird the OS. If this illusory flexibility is a requirement for being a real PC, there are no real PCs.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #23 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

On 'Morning Joe' this morning, someone asked the half dozen people sitting at the table, 'When is the last time anyone here bought a PC, or anyone in your family for that matter?'

There was a collective shrugging of shoulders, and a lot of mentioning of Apple products, all mobile.

That's something that gets lost in the discussion. People use their PCs longer than they used to. A decade ago, I found it painful to use a computer that was more than a couple of years old. Today, even my 6 year old MacBook Pro is fast enough for what I do. The push for 'newer, faster, greater' has lessened significantly.

OTOH, for a consumer electronic device like an iPad or iPhone, the replacement rate will be much higher.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #24 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

And how many people want to do that? Do you really think a criteria that applies to 1% of computer users should dictate in what category a device should be?

Well using the same logic if a tiny fraction of a percent of devices in the history of personal computing cannot do the most basic fundamental tasks of computing, as we know it, why should it be considered in the same category as the ones that can do those traditional PC tasks?

post #25 of 111
Quote:

Also if an iPad can be a PC why not make the iPhone a PC. Does screen size have anything to do with being a PC or not?

For that matter, why not an iPod Touch? Which was preceded by stuff like Palm Pilots. Those are all cool pocket computers, but PC means something different to many or most people.

So too tablets are cool computers and are very personal, but many or most people wouldn't call them a PC.

I mean, you COULD, but it is a bit of a stretch. We'll see over the next few years if people start calling an iPad a PC, but I doubt it will happen.

As of now, I think it safe to say that pretty much nobody says PC when they mean an iPad. If a kid wants an iPad for Christmas, they would not say they wanted a PC. And if they did, they would get a laptop under the tree.

If someone walked into an Apple store and said that they wanted to look at a new PC, they most certainly would not be steered to the iPads. The question would be whether the customer was interested in a Macbook or an iMac.

So yeah - anybody can call anything whatever they want. But as of now, calling an iPad a PC adds no clarity.
post #26 of 111
Quote:

Well using the same logic if a tiny fraction of a percent of devices in the history of personal computing cannot do the most basic fundamental tasks of computing, as we know it, why should it be considered in the same category as the ones that can do those traditional PC tasks?

Because what a PC can and cannot do changed over history of computers. Every new device is a tiny fraction during its first years. This article shows that the iPad is no longer a tiny fraction of PC sold. The iPad is not a tiny fraction anymore.

So based on you definition you don't consider Chrome laptops PCs?!
post #27 of 111
IS THIS REPORT IN ERROR? It states: "They found that Apple shipped 18.7 million iPads".

However, the highest quarter shipment of iPads happened last quarter as stated in Apple's quarterly results: "Apple sold 15.43 million iPads during the quarter".

Comments?
post #28 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Is it a computer? Yes.

Think of it as PC 2.0.

Exactly. The iPad 2 is more powerful than PCs were not too long ago. Does that mean those weren't PCs?

If the iPad ran OSX instead of iOS, it would be an iMac Air.
post #29 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Exactly. The iPad 2 is more powerful than PCs were not too long ago. Does that mean those weren't PCs?

You will still get people who will tell you that PC need to come with a mouse and physical keyboard.
post #30 of 111
Quote:

Because what a PC can and cannot do changed over history of computers. Every new device is a tiny fraction during its first years. This article shows that the iPad is no longer a tiny fraction of PC sold. The iPad is not a tiny fraction anymore.

If you want to call an iPad a PC, that suits me fine but it will be mostly confusing to everyone else. Talk about 1%, the only people who want to call an iPad a PC are the ones who want Apple to sell more PCs than every other manufacturer. Since they already sell the most tablets there is no reason mention it. Yeah, let's say they sell the most tablets AND the most PCs so we just count the iPad twice. No problem. You know what they say about statistics...

post #31 of 111
Quote:

So based on you definition you don't consider Chrome laptops PCs?!

I've never seen one. I have no idea.

post #32 of 111
I should probably clarify that when I said I didn't think the iPad was a PC, I didn't mean it as a judgement of the iPad's capabilities, that it was lacking in some respect. Simply that it's different enough to perhaps have it's own category. And I don't necessarily think the goal should be to make the iPad more of a PC. Instead of expanding the definition of PC to fit the iPad, why isn't it it's own class of device?

When the client terminals of mainframes gained the functionality to operate independently and self-contained, we didn't continue to call them mainframes. They became a new class of device independent of the mainframe legacy, and we called them Personal Computers. So now that the iPad has done the same by cutting the dependence on the PC, why are we do we stick it with the legacy "PC" moniker? Even Apple says it's a "post-PC" device, ie, it's not a PC.

And back to the point of the article, combining the sales totals for PCs and tablets, and using the mainframe analogy, in the early days of personal computers, if a company such as IBM made both mainframes and PCs, where the sales lumped together to compare to other company's mainframe sales counts? That's a bit absurd, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I also don't think that the Kindle Fire should be counted because it's really just an eReader that was given some multimedia HW and SW support and missing a lot of the aspects that would me a "PC" replacement.

True, but even if something is a PC replacement, does that make it a PC? Aircraft largely replaced boats as the main means of passenger transportation across the Atlantic, but we don't call them boats!
post #33 of 111
Quote:

You know what they say about statistics...

"If you torture numbers long enough they will confess to anything."
post #34 of 111
Such numbers are increasingly meaningless. Apple is at the top of the computing industry which has subsumed the smartphone sector, regardless of how numbers are sliced and diced. Even without counting iPads and iPhones, Apple is driving the portable computing market in terms of product design, business model and profits. There is simply no more need to juggle permutations and combinations of different product sectors to show their supremacy.
post #35 of 111
Quote:

True, but even if something is a PC replacement, does that make it a PC? Aircraft largely replaced boats as the main means of passenger transportation across the Atlantic, but we don't call them boats!

But in the beginning they did call them airships. Maybe that is what is happening with personal computing. Eventually the tweener form factor known as laptops will fade away leaving mobile devices and desktop PCs as two different categories.

post #36 of 111
Quote:

If you want to call an iPad a PC, that suits me fine but it will be mostly confusing to everyone else. Talk about 1%, the only people who want to call an iPad a PC are the ones who want Apple to sell more PCs than every other manufacturer. Since they already sell the most tablets there is no reason mention it. Yeah, let's say they sell the most tablets AND the most PCs so we just count the iPad twice. No problem. You know what they say about statistics...

I don't think not are trying to shoehorn Apple in a superior position. I think it's on consistenty and honesty. If we keep seeing the definition move to keep exclusing te iPad as iOS evolves is that being honest? I don't think so.

As for your definition it's certainly something that Windows and Mac OS have been able to do over the decades but I don't see why that is the definition of a "personal computer". To me being personal is squarely on the end user experience not how it can be used by programmers. I don't see minis being called personal because you can program on them.

post #37 of 111
Quote:

I think all this is made worse due to the 'PC' v 'Personal Computer' discussion / misunderstanding, the latter being anything from Apple ][ to a new HP DEsktop whereas the former was a marketing term coined by IBM for the model it brought out before the XT but the term stuck to mean all IBM's offerings then Compaq etc. that ran Microsoft OS (and I assume it was trade marked although I must go look that up)

In support of the concept that 'Personal Computer' and 'PC' have different meanings: As well as the Apple marketing campaign "Hello I'm a Mac … Hello I'm a PC" there is this from Wikipedia ..

"The original line of PCs were part of an IBM strategy to get into the small personal computer market then dominated by the Commodore PET, Atari 8-bit family, Apple II, Tandy Corporation's TRS-80s, and various CP/M machines."

THis seems to support the notion that a 'PC' was different from those listed.

So I am saying, IMHO an iPad is a 'personal computer' but not a 'PC'.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #38 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm not thrilled at the way they look at the numbers though. inventory should never be counted. It changes things to meaningless numbers. It isn't even a real number, but rather an estimated one.
post #39 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

The issue is not one of power. If that were what mattered, you could call your ipod Touch a supercomputer, because it is more powerful than supercomputers of yore.

The issue is instead one of form factor.
post #40 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That was certainly the leading argument as to why it's not a PC or a replacement for a PC, but since the iOS 5 betas first came out nearly a year ago the goal posts have moved.

Well, it seems to me that a personal computer is owned by one person, and does computing. How complicated does it have to get?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad & MacBooks combine to give Apple 27% share of all mobile PC shipments
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad & MacBooks combine to give Apple 27% share of all mobile PC shipments