I may be an outlier having both iPhone 4, a LG Optimus 2X and Motorola Xoom 3G (all purchased outright). I wont call myself an expert but i do read blogs. developers forums and try to apply the findings onto my devices or helping out a friend or a colleague. Here are my experiences and thoughts:
* I hate iOS cause i have very little option to modify it before going thru the painful JB process.
* I hate iOS for not letting me utilize my screen.
* I love the smoothness and consistent design on iOS
* Games are fun in iOS (i didnt say graphics, thts a whole diff story)
* I tend to purchase apps and games if I like them.
* i was about to purchase an iPAD but then finding out i need to purchase the same app for iPAD separately stopped me from doing it.
* I hate it how i hate to convert every little video file into iPhone optimized format.
* I hate depending on iTunes
* I love the sound quality of iPhone 4
* Most of my friends or colleagues found iPhone complicated (i guess thts because they came from a non smartphone background
* I love Android cause i can change most settings, even silly little tweaks. (now most ios users think its just the themes, but its not, i can change from cpu frequencies to which storage i want to use by default, then i can chagne which shell i want to use rather than the stock shell in android term the Launcher or even the keyboard)
* I can change my battery, in fact Optimus 2X came with a 1500mAh battery now it has a 2450mAh battery (for iphone 4 i had to purchase mophie), + additional 32GB micro SD.
* I love the idea tht my handset maker doesnt have tight control over my phone (i loved the LG supplied ROM but i love my CyanogenMod7 ROM more)
* I love it when i dont have to rely on iTunes thts on my laptop but i can plug my device anywhere, mount the sd card and load contents onto the device.
Now lets come to the applications part, for which the article is about and forced me to create an account here...
i think i have purchased over $200 softs from each store. while most apps from App Store are games, others being GPS softs, QuickOffice and such.
but from Android Market the apps i purchased are mostly utility software, for example ROM Manager (5.99), Titanium backup (6.03), ADW Launcher EX ($3.10). Tasker (6.34), MX Video Player (5.34) and such. Most games on my android devices are free. Angry Birds, Dragon Fly, Fruit Ninja, Super KO Boxing, Tiki Cart 3D, Zombie Dash and such. I did but some games from Android market just to see if my devices are good enough or not. Some Great apps are free or free to try.
I am not here to argue that games/apps comes first in iOS platforms first or whether they make more money thn android market or not. Android users choose different sort of apps than iOS users. Developers can certainly improve sales if they reduces the price of games and apps in any environment regardless of the platform. About fragmentation issues, I use 3 different android devices, OS 2.2, 3.2.1 and 2.3.7, and i can install the same app everywhere. Do i care about the fragmentation issue as an end user? NO. but i am sure the developers are doing a great job in developing those apps. And before iFans say anything i have the first gen iPod Touch and 2ng Gen iPod touch (1 for my wife and another one is for me
), can i install all the apps tht i can install in my iphone 4 on those devices? why dont you try it out.
Before one fanbase insult the other, please have the courtesy to use wht the others are using. If you cant, dont start calling one another poor or ignorant. Before i challanged my friends, i did buy a macbook to see how the experiences differ.
And i hate these one sided journalism these days. They are becoming so obvious like the politicians.
My findings are simple. while iOS users like simplicity android users love to play around with their devices. why not the haters check both the store for top100 paid app list and see wht type of apps are there and why there is this price difference?
And pls pls grammer and spelling nazis stay away from my post. its not meant for you. Its for techies. and my first language is not English.. So Stay Away