or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple ready to retire iDevice dock connector

Rumor: Apple ready to retire iDevice dock connector

post #1 of 100
An unsubstantiated rumor claims that Apple is looking to replace the venerable 30-pin iPhone, iPad and iPod dock connector with a smaller, space-saving successor that will possibly make a debut in the company's next generation iPhone.

Apple blog iMore has "heard" from unnamed sources that the iPhone maker is getting ready to switch out the dock connector currently found on all iDevice products with a smaller comparable component in order to make space in the company's ever-shrinking devices.

The site claims that the main reason behind the supposed change is to save space in a next generation iPhone for components that are more important than a dock connector, however this is only a guess as no timeline was given as to when the change will occur.

By moving to a smaller form factor, Apple can use advanced electronics like 4G LTE radio chipsets without making a bulky product. For example, the original iPad used a micro SIM card instead of the more prevalent mini SIM when it was first introduced in 2010, and the technology found its way to the iPhone 4 to make space for a larger battery. The frugality went further as the internal antenna was displaced to the handset's edge, a design that caused the so-called "antenna-gate" fiasco.

Another factor is the connector's role in data transfer. With the advent of iCloud, AirPlay and the energy-sipping Bluetooth 4.0, a future iPhone may only need a cable for charging purposes.

It is unclear what would become of the huge ecosystem of existing "Made for iDevice" products, which is a lucrative business for both Apple and third-party companies, as it would be made obsolete by a redesigned connector.

Dock connector
Illustration of space taken by current dock connector in an iPhone. | Source: iMore

No further information was given, and it is important to reiterate that the aforementioned specifics were based on guesswork.
post #2 of 100
1) third parties can make an adapter
2) there will always be an option for a hard wired sync
3) magsafe is awesome technology
4) i thought all cell phones had to be micro usb pretty soon?
post #3 of 100
But, but, but... Samsung has only just copied the original. They're going to have to start the copiers all over again
post #4 of 100
People are going to through a fit about how Apple changed it to get us to upgrade all our stuff but the truth is they've used the same connector since April 2003 with the 3rd iPod release. That's 9 years for the same 30-pin Dock Connector. If a new, smaller connector will usher in another decade of portable devices then I'm all for it.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

4) i thought all cell phones had to be micro usb pretty soon?

Not the connector on the phone, but the cable has to be able to plug into the same port for charging.

post #6 of 100
What about all those expensive Bose iPod and iPhone docks? And the cheap iHome docks?
post #7 of 100
So, what's next, a whatever to 30-pin adapter for $XX? No thanks.
post #8 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What about all those expensive Bose iPod and iPhone docks? And the cheap iHome docks?

Landfill
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #9 of 100
The EU is requiring micro USB as a standard, yeah. There's been talk of Apple just supplying an adapter to go between that and the 30-pin connector. But honestly, micro USB is smaller than 30-pin, and not just by a little bit - by a lot. It would be really nice to be able to carry just one cable and use it interchangeably between my phone, my external hard drive, and my DSLR.
post #10 of 100
perhaps some sort of WiFi or NFC or Bluetooth converted to plug into each device designed with a built in 30 pin connector.
post #11 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple blog iMore has "heard" from unnamed sources that the iPhone maker is in 2010, and the technology found its way to the iPhone 4 to make space for a larger battery.

There must some words missing in this sentence. It makes no sense.
post #12 of 100

Frankly just give me solid power and 802.11ac Wifi and I've got my syncing and power needs covered though I know that for widest coverage USB is still going to be needed.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #13 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbirchall View Post

The EU is requiring micro USB as a standard, yeah. There's been talk of Apple just supplying an adapter to go between that and the 30-pin connector. But honestly, micro USB is smaller than 30-pin, and not just by a little bit - by a lot. It would be really nice to be able to carry just one cable and use it interchangeably between my phone, my external hard drive, and my DSLR.

£8.00

post #14 of 100
Quote:

Micro USB doesn't carry the signal pins that Apple uses. It's just USB. Apple's dock connector carries audio, video, control information, etc.
post #15 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

image: http://www.patentlyapple.com/.a/6a01...240d970c-800wi

Frankly just give me solid power and 802.11ac Wifi and I've got my syncing and power needs covered though I know that for widest coverage USB is still going to be needed.

802.11ac won't happen for awhile. We don't even have 802.11n @ 5GHz or multiple spatial streams at this point.

post #16 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

They will continue to work.
post #17 of 100
The design of Apple's next generation phone would be complete at this point so I really doubt they are searching for a connector for the 2012 iphone at this late stage. Perhaps for the 2013 phone.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #18 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

802.11ac won't happen for awhile. We don't even have 802.11n @ 5GHz or multiple spatial streams at this point.

It may be an option for the phone this fall.

Qualcomm/Atheros is now announcing product along with Broadcom.

Single stream 11ac chips at 433Mpbs coming this year.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #19 of 100
Quote:

It may be an option for the phone this fall.

Qualcomm/Atheros is now announcing product along with Broadcom.

Single stream 11ac chips at 433Mpbs coming this year.

That report doesn't even mention smartphones in the list of possible devices for the single stream option. That tells me it's still a year out before we'll see 802.11ac in an iPhone sized smartphone. Note: I hope I'm wrong.

post #20 of 100
Will there be an adapter that allows you to charge the new iPhone with micro usb on the 30pin iPhone docks.
post #21 of 100
I don't care if it's smaller or not, just please add Thunderbolt to it.

And everyone please stop with all the whining for adoption of micro USB for the on-board connector. USB, micro or otherwise, is pathetically limited compared to all the stuff the 30 pin connector can do, or what TB could do. If you just have to have a micro USB plug, go buy an adapter, but don't ruin the future for the rest of us.
post #22 of 100
So this now passes for news???

"An unsubstantiated rumor", "the aforementioned specifics were based on guesswork"...

I read a rumor somewhere that the next iPhone will clip on your ear, and everyone will have to wear one..

Of course I'm just guessing that's how it will work..
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Dr
Pepper
Crew
post #23 of 100
People on this website called me crazy when I said Apple should ditch the dock connector. Based on this new information, who's laughing now? I was right.
post #24 of 100
I'd love if the iPad3 shed this connector, but I doubt it will happen so soon. Either way its about time. I;m sure they can incorporate a much more compact, modern, and faster connector.
post #25 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

People on this website called me crazy when I said Apple should ditch the dock connector. Based on this new information, who's laughing now? I was right.

This article isn't saying Apple will ditch the dock connector but update it with a newer dock connector. So besides that no being right it's also just a rumor not proof of anything.

post #26 of 100
and if they move to a standard interface (that is, open it up) it might change my absolutely negative image of the company and everything it stands for.
post #27 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

and if they move to a standard interface (that is, open it up) it might change my absolutely negative image of the company and everything it stands for.

Well, go off and have a good snit because Apple won't replace this connector with anything that another phone might be able to plug into; especially an Android phone.

It is written, "No one shall enter the ecosystem except through Apple."
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #28 of 100
I see the logic behind dumping the connector, and the EU's logic behind the USB charging standard, however...

I don't see apple dumping the connector yet. So many devices use it, that it would probably cause a riot from those who have it in their expensive cars.

IMO, the most likely thing that will happen is that Apple will release a new iPhone/iPad/iPod that uses a new connector (see the magsafe patent) in addition to the old connector, and then drop the old connector after three years when the warranty is up for everything that has just the old connector. Or the new device will start with just the new connector and have a cradle to connect to the old one that can just be left permanently attached to the interface it was being used with.

I'm thinking of the kind of action took with dropping 3.25" drives while adopting usb and firewire. Apple is the first to adopt and first to drop underutilized standards.

Physical connectors break, and the only good reason to drop it is that edge-connectors tend to be damaged extremely easily, while rigid connectors (eg USB, minijack) tend to become unglued on the PCB from repeat insertion and removal. Moving to the magsafe design eliminates this.
post #29 of 100
I really hope they go with a magsafe connection. I find the micro / macro usb plugs too small, it's so much harder to fit in, it's hard to tell which side is which on the little port. For something you have to charge every day, it's not great. Would be really cool if they made a mini magsafe though, as small as micro usb, but snaps right in.
post #30 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

I don't see apple dumping the connector yet. So many devices use it, that it would probably cause a riot from those who have it in their expensive cars.

Unless Apple moves to optical (which I think is not highly unlikely) or moves away from USB (equally unlikely) the most you'd have to do with an older car with an iPod Dock Connector is get the adapter.

Just to be clear, the EU isn't requiring Apple to remove the iPod Dock Connector or add a micro-USB connector directly to the device.

post #31 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post

You despise everything the company stands for, and have 98 posts on a fansite forum of the company.

Why? Such strange, irrational behaviour.
post #32 of 100
What? Worst english ever, even for this site which seems to be hiring more and more writers that simply can't write proper english, or be bothered to re-read their posts.

Anyway, future should totally be wireless everything. We already have wireless data transfer and wireless charging.
post #33 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMGS View Post

So this now passes for news???

"An unsubstantiated rumor", "the aforementioned specifics were based on guesswork"...

I read a rumor somewhere that the next iPhone will clip on your ear, and everyone will have to wear one..

Of course I'm just guessing that's how it will work..

Apple Insider started out as principally a rumour site based on leaks - hence the 'insider' part of the name, it isn't and never has been just a news site.
post #34 of 100
Let's see:
2001: FireWire: 400 Mbps
2005: USB 2.0: ~25 Mbps
2012: 802.11n: ~20 Mbps (if physical syncing is dropped...)

Just saying...
post #35 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post

And everyone please stop with all the whining for adoption of micro USB for the on-board connector. USB, micro or otherwise, is pathetically limited compared to all the stuff the 30 pin connector can do, or what TB could do. If you just have to have a micro USB plug, go buy an adapter, but don't ruin the future for the rest of us.

Obviously with USB and then more pin holes side by side we get the best of both worlds.
Sadly however servitude sometimes seems more the norm.
post #36 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post

In what way is USB limited compared to a 30-pin connector? Judging by the fact that Apple sells a 30-pin to microUSB adpater, USB isn't limited in any meaningful way.
post #37 of 100
This short article has to be one of the most poorly written piece I've seen on AI for a while. It is so full of grammatical error that it's nearly impossible to read. I know this is a tech blog site but...come on!

Do some basic proof reading before posting it.
post #38 of 100
Quote:

Landfill

Third parties will produce adapters.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #39 of 100
Quote:

The problem is it is far slower to charge than Apple's connector.
post #40 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The design of Apple's next generation phone would be complete at this point so I really doubt they are searching for a connector for the 2012 iphone at this late stage. Perhaps for the 2013 phone.

Buy you haven't seen the iPhone 5?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple ready to retire iDevice dock connector