or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS passes Android, accounts for 35% of mobile ad impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iOS passes Android, accounts for 35% of mobile ad impressions - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's 'starbucks'?

Its money celebrities use, silly rabbit.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You mean winning? What exactly is the prize?

So far it's the cause preceding the bliss effect.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by djuliano View Post

World domination is the prize of course.

I didn't think the answer was going to be profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

His statement wasn't stupid; it was correct. Just because you disagree with it does not make it stupid.

That being said, what makes you assume ones' interest can only be in one company? I own a Macbook Pro, an iPad 2, and an HTC EVO because I wanted very specific things out of my various devices. Should I be allowed to come to this site because (assuming I blindly followed the companies I buy from) 67% of me supports Apple? Or should I be banned because 33% of me is tainted with Android? I've never understood that about some posters here. Just because someone does not agree with a certain article does not mean they shouldn't be allowed to post on it. That would take away all of the fun I get from reading this site

Any statement that comes from an individual that joins the site of a product or company that they intensely dislike or post negatively about 99% of the time IS, unfortunately, extremely stupid.

I've asked this question of a number of the more obvious trolls on this forum and, far less from receiving a satisfactory answer, never received an answer at all.

They know they've got problems.

And nobody likes to admit that in public.

I would say most Apple fans don't have a problem with opposing opinions at all. However, opposing opinions all of the time from particular individuals or groups will never be appreciated.

Apple.

Love them or hate them.

The fact remains that all of the regulars on this site have them on their minds frequently, and have dedicated vast chunks of their lives posting about them.

If that time spent was not about something that you loved then, give all the excuses you want about why you're here, but it becomes pitifully obvious that your life lacks something.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why does an Android sycophant choose to join an Apple centric site? It wouldn't even cross my mind to join an Android forum just so I could make stupid statements.

What are you on about? I subscribe to many tech related RSS feeds, including various Apple themed news sites because the company (Apple) and dynamics of the tech scene interest me. I'm also an apple consumer.

I clicked on this article because of the misleading title which in turn read like click bait, hence my post.

Nowhere did I mention Android in my post. Let me guess, my user name immediately angered you?

Wipe those tears from your eyes and utilize the ignore feature if you can. Then you can skim past my posts.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by djuliano View Post

I just went to starbucks and literally counted the iphone, ipad and macbooks I could see in use vs the android phones I could see. of 47 people I counted in 1 hour of sipping my coffee, 13 were using some sort of apple device, 30 were using some sort of android device and I saw 4 windows phone's. Hardly "70% using apple" that you claim.

I saw the same at the local book store of barnes and nobles. Basically 75% android usage anywhere I go.



I never see anything except Apple products where I go.
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Clearly... Google and a dozen manufacturers are beating Apple.

So what's the grand prize?

A vibrant ecosystem with no lock-in to any one source of hardware or software..
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


A vibrant ecosystem with no lock-in to any one source of hardware or software..



---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Android_devices
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

A vibrant ecosystem with no lock-in to any one source of hardware or software..

No lock in for HW vendors but plenty of lock in for customers buying the handsets. That's what they don't tell you. Remember, Google's customers are the HW vendors and ad companies, you are the product.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by djuliano View Post

I just went to starbucks and literally counted the iphone, ipad and macbooks I could see in use vs the android phones I could see. of 47 people I counted in 1 hour of sipping my coffee, 13 were using some sort of apple device, 30 were using some sort of android device and I saw 4 windows phone's. Hardly "70% using apple" that you claim.

I saw the same at the local book store of barnes and nobles. Basically 75% android usage anywhere I go.

My experience is the opposite.
The airport, train station, bookstore, ferry terminal, etc nothing but iphones, ipads and Macbook Pro's. Given the iPhones outnumber everything.

When I last went to a (comic book) convention, I saw more android phones there, but the artists in the booths were using iPad1's and/or iPhones. Only one of them was using a regular feature phone. (Just about everyone was also using the Square card reader as well.)

A coffee shop (or any store) isn't a representative sample of the population unless it's part of a an extremely busy traffic area anyway. People have certain tastes. You're likely to see 70% android's at one coffee shop and 70% iPhones at another.

And this is the problem with these statistics. It's just like people keep saying MSIE is the most popular web browser, yet my own stats show that less than 10% use it. There are more people using Safari (Mac or iOS) than MSIE. Android shows up as less than 2%. The most popular is Firefox followed by Chrome.


At any rate, my own experience is that Android devices don't sell here, even if they are free.
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

A vibrant ecosystem with no lock-in to any one source of hardware or software..

And I'd like to buy a Coke at Pizza Hut, play 'Uncharted 3' on my 360, and 'Halo' on my PS3, but that just ain't gonna happen.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
Reply
post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I get why iOS is gaining and BB is losing but why is Android losing? Can someone define wining for me again¡

Winning is having more impressions and selling more devices when you are a single company and the competition is an army of companies using free software, selling at every price point with a massive amount of distribution points and the entire tech industry advocating for you.
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by djuliano View Post

I just went to starbucks and literally counted the iphone, ipad and macbooks I could see in use vs the android phones I could see. of 47 people I counted in 1 hour of sipping my coffee, 13 were using some sort of apple device, 30 were using some sort of android device and I saw 4 windows phone's. Hardly "70% using apple" that you claim.

I saw the same at the local book store of barnes and nobles. Basically 75% android usage anywhere I go.

"Wow. How f@#$%& scientific. You can't argue with that." --Bill Hicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

Winning is having more impressions and selling more devices when you are a single company and the competition is an army of companies using free software, selling at every price point with a massive amount of distribution points and the entire tech industry advocating for you.

And even with all that, it's still not clear that Android is actually winning. The bottom line for any business is not how many products you pump into the market but how much money you make. That's the real goal at the end of the day for any business and we all know how iOS compares with Android on that front.
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

"Wow. How f@#$%& scientific. You can't argue with that." --Bill Hicks.

I don't believe for a second he's telling the truth. He's not just saying that Apple devices have less marketshare than the world average where Android-based feature phones do outsell the iPhone in a good part of the world he's claiming that Apple's devices are even worse in the US despite the fact that Verizon, Sprint and AT&T reported huge number of sales, not including iPod Touches and iPads. And at places where one would typically sees more than the average due to economic trends.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am earing rumors of an event at 1 PM TODAY. Any news ?!?!

Sorry, I 'aven't 'erd of a thing 'appening. Per'aps next week.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android has really been taking a clobbering lately! That is so funny!

News like this makes me all fuzzy and warm inside.

Android still leads in malware and Apple will never catch up with them.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

And even with all that, it's still not clear that Android is actually winning. The bottom line for any business is not how many products you pump into the market but how much money you make. That's the real goal at the end of the day for any business and we all know how iOS compares with Android on that front.

I always liked reading Daniel Eran Dilger but it got to the point when it was obvious the iPhone would be out sold by Android phones and he was determined to swear it wasn't so. I do get a little tired of the "Apple can do no wrong" crowd.

However, I think things are starting to go DED's way, and something stinks with Android sales numbers. With 70% of Verizon and AT&T last quarter smartphones sales being iPhones, T-Mobile's numbers suggesting a 50/50 split and Sprint now saying they lost huge numbers of customers to the iPhone, it is hard to believe last quarters sales were evenly split between the iPhone and Android, as the tech industry claims.

What I see on the street is the iPhone taking over, period. I was talking to a university student and he agreed. He said that of the friends he knows who recently bought phone, 80% got iPhones. I think Google is worried.
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I get why iOS is gaining and BB is losing but why is Android losing? Can someone define wining for me again¡

Because most of sold Android devices are as good as door stop.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
post #58 of 67
I don't get the rationale of some people in on this site. Yes the iPhone is a great phone. But to think that every one will buy it is nuts. Do you really think that every person wants an iPhone and some mysterious reason is holding them back? If a person wanted an iPhone bad enough they would have one. People want a phone that works for them. For some thats a cheap android phone. For others its a giant Samsung Galaxy Note others it the iPhone. Some of these post are insulting and profiling. (Post hinting that geeks buy androids while artist buy iPhones.)People buy android and people buy iPhones.

I have used an iPhone 4s for week and a half and for me it was too small so I am using my Galaxy Nexus Now. Quite honestly the iPhone is too small for many and even for some it can be too large. The iPhone lacks the full keyboard that so many people rely on. It works for you but it will never work for EVERYBODY. Its a great phone but please stop assuming the entire world but geeks and apple haters wants one. That is far from the truth. /End rant
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I don't get the rationale of some people in on this site. Yes the iPhone is a great phone. But to think that every one will buy it is nuts.

I am not saying that everyone WILL buy it. I am saying everyone IS buying it.

I have only seen one Galaxy phone in the wild. Frankly, I am stunned by how many people have iPhones now. Maybe it is just the part of town I travel in. Maybe less affluent area have more Android phones.

Even if only 35% have iPhones, everyone else has an odd assortment of sized and shaped phones. The iPhone is still going to win the the branding battle. If people think that everyone has an iPhone, that is what people will want.

Once you have an iPad the iPhone tends to become something you use in a pinch while on the road, why do I need the bulk of a huge screen, and with Siri I don't really need the keyboard so much.

I predict the iPhone will soon be as dominate as the iPod once was, regardless of the validity of the reasons.
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

A vibrant ecosystem with no lock-in to any one source of hardware or software..

Not completely without lock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Motorola have a lockout preventing user upgrades from booting?
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

I have only seen one Galaxy phone in the wild. Frankly, I am stunned by how many people have iPhones now. Maybe it is just the part of town I travel in. Maybe less affluent area have more Android phones.
...
I predict the iPhone will soon be as dominate as the iPod once was, regardless of the validity of the reasons.

I know this is anecdotal, but a year ago my mother, my wife, and myself were the only people I regularly dealt with that had iPhones. One year later my father-in-law, my step-father, my brother, his wife and 2 of their kids, 2 of the women in my department at work, and my mom's best friend all have iPhones, while only 3 of my regular gang have upgraded to Android devices. 2 of those three picked the Android because it was 99¢ when they upgraded, and the other one's daughter-in-law worked at an AT&T store and was able to give him a 'family' discount when he upgraded.

Again, this is just anecdotal.
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not completely without lock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Motorola have a lockout preventing user upgrades from booting?

locked bootloaders...a few manufacturers have them but most have come to their senses and offer free bootloader unlocking tools....which, IMO is smart and should remain the norm as that way it prevents Joe-moron from ruining his device for whatever reason and allows the others who want to root the ability to root easy.
post #63 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I know this is anecdotal, but a year ago my mother, my wife, and myself were the only people I regularly dealt with that had iPhones. One year later my father-in-law, my step-father, my brother, his wife and 2 of their kids, 2 of the women in my department at work, and my mom's best friend all have iPhones, while only 3 of my regular gang have upgraded to Android devices. 2 of those three picked the Android because it was 99¢ when they upgraded, and the other one's daughter-in-law worked at an AT&T store and was able to give him a 'family' discount when he upgraded.

Again, this is just anecdotal.

Anectotal or not, this sounds just like my own story. Some times I whish back the Old times, when I new I had a wonderful device, that most people didn't even have a clue about. But of course usually I am just happy with the way Apple is growing.
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Seems you live somewhere else. I can only speak for what I see in public transportation where I live. And believe me I have no reason to tell lies!

I live in Rancho Santa Fe, CA aka the beverly hills of San Diego.
post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4bones View Post

i find that true too...if i'm in the ghetto...Basically because they sell buy one get one free cheaper andriod feature phones.

in which case i wont whip out my iphone or ipad because i'm afraid of getting mugged.

go to a more affluent part of town. it's the complete opposite.

better yet when you do see an android phone notice how it's rarely the latest and greatest but rather an older version..

I live in Rancho Santa Fe, CA aka the beverly hills of San Diego. The average person that lives in my neighborhood is worth multi millions so you're statement holds no water. Anywhere I go, it's android, android, android.
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

I am not saying that everyone WILL buy it. I am saying everyone IS buying it.

I have only seen one Galaxy phone in the wild. Frankly, I am stunned by how many people have iPhones now. Maybe it is just the part of town I travel in. Maybe less affluent area have more Android phones.

Even if only 35% have iPhones, everyone else has an odd assortment of sized and shaped phones. The iPhone is still going to win the the branding battle. If people think that everyone has an iPhone, that is what people will want.

Once you have an iPad the iPhone tends to become something you use in a pinch while on the road, why do I need the bulk of a huge screen, and with Siri I don't really need the keyboard so much.

I predict the iPhone will soon be as dominate as the iPod once was, regardless of the validity of the reasons.

Just looking at statistics, EVERYONE is not buying iphone's. The EU has dropping market share for iphone usage and increasing android usage. In the US, Android sales outsell iphone's daily. Total market share of android being 49.7% and growing daily and iOS 28% and stagnant shows MOST people are chosing android.

"Last year, despite Apple's high-profile launch of the new iPhone 4S, only 5 per cent of the smartphones sold in Greece and 9 per cent of those sold in Portugal were iPhones."


EU stats here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...036145902.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-eurozone.html
http://techbystep.blogspot.com/2012/...worldwide.html
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226282983524
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by djuliano View Post

I live in Rancho Santa Fe, CA aka the beverly hills of San Diego. The average person that lives in my neighborhood is worth multi millions so you're statement holds no water. Anywhere I go, it's android, android, android.

As someone who also lives in North County of San Diego, I also see a significant tilt towards android. Besides the wealth, it might have something to do with the amount of tech firms around the San Diego area.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS passes Android, accounts for 35% of mobile ad impressions