or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late

post #1 of 143
Thread Starter 
Ailing Research in Motion on Tuesday released the long-awaited PlayBook OS 2.0 update for the company's tablet, but poor sales and missed deadlines could translate into a product that offers too little, too late.

The second version of RIM's PlayBook operating system, which also happens to be the first overhaul issued for the tablet since its launch in early 2011, has finally been issued to device owners after a year-long wait. The Canadian company originally promised that PlayBook OS 2.0 would be out by December of last year.

In a recent statement by Chief Executive Thorsten Heins, who took over as company head in January, it was announced that RIM planned to stay the course and push forward with its tablet operation despite the product's apparent shortcomings.

Since its debut, RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook has been a perennially poor performer that faced harsh critical reviews, suffered abysmal sales numbers and was a loss leader which ultimately cost the company$485 million dollars in unsold units by the end of last year.

The overall lack of interest in the device may be a symptom of the limited content available from RIM's BlackBerry App World, which reportedly supplies only 60,000 apps. In comparison, Apple is currently counting down to the 25 billionth download from its App Store, which boasts over 550,000 apps.

The disparity between RIM and Apple's tablet business has become so great that some analysts have estimated the BlackBerry maker is worth less than Apple's App Store alone.

RIM hopes that the new OS will breathe some life back into the PlayBook platform, though it is doubtful that the changes will bring the device in line with or even close to offerings from competitors.


BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 brings minor enhancements to RIM's tablet. | Source: BlackBerry.com


The PlayBook OS 2.0 over-the-air download comes in at over 500 MB, offering various bug fixes and UI tweaks, but perhaps the most talked about feature is the addition of a native email client.

In an overview of the new features provided by OS 2.0, RIM touts the app's unified inbox, HTML-compatible messaging, and attachment downloads.

Also new to 2.0 are native calendar and contacts apps that can interface with social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter.

A device linking feature called BlackBerry Bridge was revamped and allows users to remotely control the PlayBook with a BlackBerry smartphone.



In addition to the software enhancements, RIM has slashed the prices of the entire PlayBook line, with the entry-level 16 GB model costing $199. The drop brings the tablet into the price range of the Kindle Fire, however sales of the PlayBok are not expected to reach the level of Amazon's device or Apple's iPad.

For some, the update may be underwhelming, and while the changes aren't flashy or drastic, they manage to bring much needed functionality to the aging device.

RIM is expected to launch a series of smartphones that will run the company's also-delayed BlackBerry OS 10 in the second half of 2012, though pundits are skeptical that software updates alone are enough to resuscitate the once-powerful phone maker.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 143
This is depressing. I cant imagine the sort of person that would be excited about BB 10 or anything else RiM could release at this point.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #3 of 143
To me this ad says "If you are the kind of person who wastes money on pretentious decor and food... boy do we have the tablet for you!"
post #4 of 143
Where is my Playbook Android emulator ?
post #5 of 143
I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.
post #6 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

Where is my Playbook Android emulator ?

It is invisibly integrated into OS 2.0 Download any of the Android Apps in the App store (search for Android) and you will notice the subtle difference.
post #7 of 143
Fact check!

Apple is NOT currently counting down to its 10 billionth app sold. It is counting down to its 25 billionth! The link in the story about the 10 billionth app countdown is over a year old!
post #8 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

As soon as I'm finished bobbing my head up and down to attract a mate I'll properly respond to that.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #9 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by grblade View Post

Fact check!

Apple is NOT currently counting down to its 10 billionth app sold. It is counting down to its 25 billionth! The link in the story about the 10 billionth app countdown is over a year old!

Yup the ticker is right on there on apple.com
post #10 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

Ok, you caught me, I am a lizard brain hater. Ever since that lizard killed my dog and stoled my bible I've hated them damn lizards!! The only good lizard is a dead lizard!!
post #11 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by grblade View Post

Fact check!

Apple is NOT currently counting down to its 10 billionth app sold. It is counting down to 25 billion! The link in the story about the 10 billionth app countdown is over a year old!

You took the words out of my mouth. I was thinking this article must have been written more than a year ago when I saw that. LOL The entire article was poorly written (spelling and grammar).
Don't flame me for my own opinion, unless you feel it necessary to boost your own ego.
Reply
Don't flame me for my own opinion, unless you feel it necessary to boost your own ego.
Reply
post #12 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

Serious question- what do you do with 3 playbooks? And why would you want more?
post #13 of 143
I haven't followed RIM lately, but do they still have dual CEO's? I guess that proves that dual core is not always better than a single core. Can you imagine what RIM would be like with Quad Ceo's? I notice that some people seem to support RIM because they're a Canadian company. That's a pretty retarded reason, IMO. Don't let nationalistic idiocy cloud your minds.

For those of us who live outside of Apples distortion field, we know that 7 tablets will actually be a big portion of the market and we know that Adobe Flash support actually matters to customers who want a real web experience. Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO at Research In Motion (RIM)

If there's anybody who's living inside of a distortion reality field, it's RIM and their supporters. How are those 7" tablets going by the way? I believe that we can safely say that they definitely do not make up a big portion of the market. They don't even make up a small portion of the market.

7-inch tablets are tweeners: too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with the iPad, - Steve Jobs

Wow, that Steve Jobs sure was a smart guy. It looks like what he said turned out to be completely accurate. If we examine those two statements, the first one from RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie VS the second statement from Steve Jobs, it's quite easy to see who exactly was living in a fantasy world back when those statements were made.

Has anybody checked out RIM's stock lately? Ouch.
post #14 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Serious question- what do you do with 3 playbooks? And why would you want more?

If you use Flash to deliver your video you'll need 3 to equal the usage of one iPad.

Just kidding. It's not that bad and they obviously offer HTML5, Flash-free video options.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #15 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Serious question- what do you do with 3 playbooks? And why would you want more?

He stacks them up and builds a little house out of them.

For a small pet perhaps.
post #16 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Just kidding. It's not that bad and they obviously offer HTML5, Flash-free video options as well as a Netflix app.

Netflix app?

Are you sure? I just read this today:

Bad News for Blackberry: Netflix Not Interested

In response to a user who asked about a possible Netflix app for the BlackBerry Playbook tablet, Netflix's Twitter support account replied that the company has no current plans to support BlackBerry devices, including the Playbook.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25059...nterested.html
post #17 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yup the ticker is right on there on apple.com

They fixed it. Thank you, AppleInsider! We're here to keep you respectable.
post #18 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Serious question- what do you do with 3 playbooks? And why would you want more?

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.
post #19 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Netflix app?

Are you sure? I just read this today:

Bad News for Blackberry: Netflix Not Interested

In response to a user who asked about a possible Netflix app for the BlackBerry Playbook tablet, Netflix's Twitter support account replied that the company has no current plans to support BlackBerry devices, including the Playbook.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25059...nterested.html

You're right. It's just an app to manage your queue. I don't think you can even watch it in the browser because Netflix uses MS Silverlight which I don't think is supported on the Playbook OS.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #20 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

Your post is so canned it's awesome. Seriously, buddy, you made my night. Go Canada!
post #21 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

Not everyone has a family yet??!
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #22 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Not everyone has a family yet??!

Natural selection.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #23 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours, seriously. I owned one for a while and loved it for what it was. Gorgeous screen, good build quality. comfortable form factor. If it was in a vacuum I'd call it a great product. Unfortunately, I just can't see a bright future for RIM, considering what they're up against and the fact that they're continually bleeding marketshare. It's also all about ecosystems, and with iOS, Android, and Windows8 tablets on the horizon, they're gonna have a very hard time getting support. I'm Canadian myself and do want them to succeed. They have a tough road ahead.
post #24 of 143
Blackberry Bridge is native to the Playbook, and was part of the original load. Perhaps reviewers could actually use the product they're reviewing, instead of copying someone else's work - I've seen the comment that Bridge is new to 2.0 elsewhere.
post #25 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm glad you're enjoying yours, seriously. I owned one for a while and loved it for what it was. Gorgeous screen, good build quality. comfortable form factor. If it was in a vacuum I'd call it a great product. Unfortunately, I just can't see a bright future for RIM, considering what they're up against and the fact that they're continually bleeding marketshare. It's also all about ecosystems, and with iOS, Android, and Windows8 tablets on the horizon, they're gonna have a very hard time getting support. I'm Canadian myself and do want them to succeed. They have a tough road ahead.

Indeed. I daresay there are probably a number of Canadians working for Apple in Cupertino. Isn't Phil Schiller one of 'em? And where would NASA be without the Canadian engineers from the shelved Arrow project?
http://www.avroarrow.org/AvroArrow/Avroengineers.html

Answer: they probably would have found others (even non-Canadians!) to do the job. \

Sometimes reality can be uncomfortable.
post #26 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

I'm so glad that RIM has released OS 2.0 with its several new features and fixes. Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more -- so happy to also support a Canadian technology company. So thank you, RIM. I'm loving the simultaneous Bluetooth support of mouse, keyboard, and stereo Bluetooth headphones! The dual HD cameras still work great. And all this only "two months late". Keep up the good work and nevermind the lizard-brain haters.

could it be that now only android devices have the dubious honour of not being updateable? that alone is newsworthy
post #27 of 143
Does it matter that they're late? When you're dead, you're dead.
post #28 of 143
It's all good and well to poke fun at rim who has neither apple's clout nor their resources in LCD, flash and CPU parts and who can't bully exclusivity out of manufacturers, hence they opt out for said size of tablet, but if yet another tablet os gets nowhere this is going to do competition and innovation no good. Having said that it was indeed a poor decision, and a hasty one to opt for said size to undercut apple in price, a lot of us saw this size as doa without other prerequisites such as e.g. Amazons clout behind it.

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Indeed. I daresay there are probably a number of Canadians working for Apple in Cupertino. Isn't Phil Schiller one of 'em?

My enduring image of Phil Schiller is that of jumping off a few tens of feet height on a mattress like contraption to appease his master... Lately he's allegedly also taken up the onerous task of having cocktails with Grubber in hotel lounges and leaking os x 10.8 mountain lion.
post #29 of 143
Hi Folks,

I have a macbook pro and recently I bought a playbook. I live in Brazil and Apple prices here a ridiculous high, I could not afford an iPad. I have to say that the playbook is an excellent tablet. I recently showed the device to a friend that has an iPad and she was really impressed with the performance, size, and the tablet in general. Sometimes we hear or read opinions of a device on the internet and when we actually see the product is a completely different story.

I definitely recommend a playbook for some looking for a device for reading or surfing the web. It is not so good for creating or editing documents, but for this I use my macbook.

In terms of multi-tasking the QNX linux microkernel of the playbook is unbeatable!!!! Take a look if you have the opportunity. I think we can expect good things of future RIM OS's.

Cheers!
post #30 of 143
Playbook seems decent, but is the product of extremely poor execution from RIM as well as undeserved arrogance. Adding mail functionality in 2012 boggles the mind. Also, adding Android apps is a straight up awful move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.

The home screen concept needs a revamp as it's functional but out dated. If Apple were to redesign the springboard UI in a way that incorporated both multitasking and notifications I'm sure it would look quite different.

I see the iOSification of the Mac a sensible decision though - these make sense seeing as the majority of the devices Apple sells are laptops. Doesn't make as much sense on a 27" iMac though!
post #31 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

What did you get the members you liked?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #32 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post


The home screen concept needs a revamp as it's functional but out dated. If Apple were to redesign the springboard UI in a way that incorporated both multitasking and notifications I'm sure it would look quite different.

I see the iOSification of the Mac a sensible decision though - these make sense seeing as the majority of the devices Apple sells are laptops. Doesn't make as much sense on a 27" iMac though!

Very good points.

I am conveinced that what made apple survive and thrive, the streamlined product line up, the insistence on right ways to do things and not giving tons of pointless options could be it's downfall if they don't wisen up. As Steve said, and I don't remember the exact quote don't do as I did, or as would do, do as you should in my spirit. The spirit now IMHO opinion would be learn from past mistakes, don't follow other people's shoes and be bold.

I think if they want to survive they should take good hid of that.

What I would do?

Diversify the line up. A premium ergonomically designed iMac line up with cutting edge features would be an idea.

More choices and more customisation of os x on a per class of machine as you hinted at is another one. Generally more customizability of the os is now highly required when apple are trying to pander to the iOS crowd and be everything to everyone. Options could be their new motto, enough of them to not make things more confusing but also sufficiently exciting again. Overhaul iOS but give an on off switch to switch back to "classic" on the flip of a switch too.

Spinning off a crazy bleeding edge division overseen by Ivy and given some of that incredible stash of cash to do whatever the hell they wanted to with it would also be an idea.

Just start being exciting and inspiring again, disruptive.

But who is going to do that the operations research guy at the helm? Phil the Schill Shiller? Mini jobs such as Scot forestall who seem to have all the cut throat attitude of Steve and his dark side but not much of his exciting innovative and apt for the beautiful side? I am getting bored just by thinking of them collectively...
post #33 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post

He stacks them up and builds a little house out of them.

For a small pet perhaps.

For a lizard! To annoy lizard-brain haters...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #34 of 143
I did like the ad, that they made it without any negative references. At least they can go out with some style, with a real attempt.
post #35 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

No one who doesn't have one yet wants one. Take them back while you can still get some actual money for them.
post #36 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Very good points.

I am conveinced that what made apple survive and thrive, the streamlined product line up, the insistence on right ways to do things and not giving tons of pointless options could be it's downfall if they don't wisen up. As Steve said, and I don't remember the exact quote don't do as I did, or as would do, do as you should in my spirit. The spirit now IMHO opinion would be learn from past mistakes, don't follow other people's shoes and be bold.

I think if they want to survive they should take good hid of that.

What I would do?

Diversify the line up. A premium ergonomically designed iMac line up with cutting edge features would be an idea.

More choices and more customisation of os x on a per class of machine as you hinted at is another one. Generally more customizability of the os is now highly required when apple are trying to pander to the iOS crowd and be everything to everyone. Options could be their new motto, enough of them to not make things more confusing but also sufficiently exciting again. Overhaul iOS but give an on off switch to switch back to "classic" on the flip of a switch too.

Spinning off a crazy bleeding edge division overseen by Ivy and given some of that incredible stash of cash to do whatever the hell they wanted to with it would also be an idea.

Just start being exciting and inspiring again, disruptive.

But who is going to do that the operations research guy at the helm? Phil the Schill Shiller? Mini jobs such as Scot forestall who seem to have all the cut throat attitude of Steve and his dark side but not much of his exciting innovative and apt for the beautiful side? I am getting bored just by thinking of them collectively...

Apple has a good 3 or 4 years of success ahead of itself, using the current pipeline. Don't worry, Steve's strategy will be good for several more quarters of profits.
post #37 of 143
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a RIMM sell-off on Monday morning. (I don't mean the Playbooks ).
post #38 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

Oh, so you're that relative, the one who, when everyone wants an iPod, you got them a Zune.
post #39 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As soon as I'm finished bobbing my head up and down to attract a mate I'll properly respond to that.

I know this is leading us astray, but have you considered that if you stop bobbing your head up and down, you might be more successful in attracting a human mate?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #40 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new feature called BlackBerry Bridge...

Good to see reporting standards here are on the rise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late