or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late - Page 3

post #81 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Point one I disagree with. Stale or old food is one of the biggest source of health problems. I regularly discard/compost food that isn't fresh and I'm rather proud of that. The money you save by eating that slightly mouldy dairy product or that leftover that "doesn't taste too bad yet," is a false economy IMO.

Do you throw out cheese with mould on it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If one has to eat out of the garbage, or eat poor quality food, then fair enough. One does what one has to do. But if you can afford to, buying quality food is always a good idea and IMO should be the last thing in your budget to scrimp on.

May I ask what you mean by better quality food? Are you referring to house brands versus other brands or things like different grades of foods?
post #82 of 143
And how many months late, exactly, was iOS5 and the iPhone 4S? Yeah. I don't think you're really in a position to make snarky comments here, Ai. Could you please just stick to reporting the facts, and stop the childish attitude already? You're turning into the 4Chan of Apple news.
post #83 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

And how many months late, exactly, was iOS5 and the iPhone 4S? Yeah. I don't think you're really in a position to make snarky comments here, Ai. Could you please just stick to reporting the facts, and stop the childish attitude already? You're turning into the 4Chan of Apple news.

You and myapplelove are two peas in a pod. Show me any info of Apple missing their release date for the iPhone 4S or iOS 5. Apple has missed self-appointed release dates including some whoppers like FaceTime be on '3G' networks in 2011 and would open source, but the iPhone 4S and iOS 5 were not one of them. Just because you expected it at a certain time doesn't mean Apple had any intention of releasing it then. It was even stated by myself and others that moving it to the Autumn would be better as the iPod arm keeps shrinking, and the iPad arm keeps growing while using mostly the same components as the iPhone so spacing them out about 6 months apart would better suit their needs. I don't expect the iPhone to drop back to a Summer release.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #84 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

One can never argue with the self appointed minister of propaganda here.

[...]

It's always ad hominems when we can't actually argue with what someone is saying... You sure know how to make these cocktails it seems...

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #85 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Do you throw out cheese with mould on it?

I throw out milk even if it's before the expiration rate, as I only like brand new milk and don't like any funny tasting milk even if it's not expired yet.
post #86 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeas, thats exactly what i mean, and we agree, I am making a point that they are cross pollinating one bad interface iOS idea to os x. You might want to look for councelling at your blind subservience issues though if you think the rest is nonsense, and grow a sense of humour.

Wow. My counseling sessions are apparently starting to work. I was being treated for rebellious non-conformity and now, for the first time in my life, been labeled as blind subservient. With a little more work I should be able function in society.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #87 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I don't think you're really in a position to make snarky comments here, Ai.

People talk trash about Apple all of the time. Screw those people, they are clueless and most of what they say are pure lies.

I can only speak for myself, but I'll continue to make fun of Apple's competitors all that I want. They have big mouths and they deserve to be made fun of, especially when they're doing so poorly.
post #88 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by grblade View Post

Fact check!

Apple is NOT currently counting down to its 10 billionth app sold. It is counting down to its 25 billionth! The link in the story about the 10 billionth app countdown is over a year old!

On that note, why is it a countdown? It's not like the App Store is closing when they hit that number. Counting *up* is more appropriate?
post #89 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Its all good and well and we can poke sarcastic fun at others but when someone (who also admittedly happens to like apple for the most part) has a bit of a mean spirited go too we suddenly lose our sense of humour? How convenient.

So Tell me where is the humor in your post ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's always ad hominems when we can't actually argue with what someone is saying... You sure know how to make these cocktails it seems...

I didn't find anything worthwile to argue in your post. Since it was basicaly a sequence of unsupported and mean accusations against people who you are not even worthy to bind their shoe laces.

We call it oral diarrhoe.

That's why I recommended, that you ought to get some sleep.

It helps.
post #90 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

On that note, why is it a countdown? It's not like the App Store is closing when they hit that number. Counting *up* is more appropriate?

People count down to New Year's Eve too, and time doesn't suddenly end when it becomes midnight, unless of course somebody is one of those intellectually disadvantaged people who believes that the world is going to end at a certain date or year.
post #91 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

On that note, why is it a countdown? It's not like the App Store is closing when they hit that number. Counting *up* is more appropriate?

Yes, the ticker is counting UP to the milestone of 25,000,000. Counting down be to have how many apps are remaining to be sold before the counter reaches zero remaining to indicate the goal. So long as people know what is meant it's not really an issue.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #92 of 143
@solipsismx cool pic, promplty saved of course, no relation to my quote whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

So Tell me where is the humor in your post ?

If you don't find a grown up guy jumping on cue from over 20 feet to promote a laptop Funny, or at least remotely droll I can't help, you probably should start drinking the cocktail you suggested to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I didn't find anything worthwile to argue in your post. Since it was basicaly a sequence of unsupported and mean accusations against people who you are not even worthy to bind their shoe laces.

The need for competing tablet os's you don't find worth arguing.
The relative success of the smaller form factor when it's based on solid content providing from amazon you don't find worth arguing.
How iOS interface on the iPad has seemingly so far stalled to a 5 year phone paradigm you don't find worth arguing.
The plugging of rather poor interface design such as the miniaturised apps folders from ios to os x you don't find worth arguing.
The first of its kind pre-release of os x to known arch apple fanboy journalists to pre-empt backlash after the lion fiasco you don't find worth arguing.
And you also don't find worth arguing a whole post about potential future directions for apple.
But arguing my worth and sleep habits is what you are after. Ok.
post #93 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrsnoop View Post

Oh, so you're that relative, the one who, when everyone wants an iPod, you got them a Zune.

Buying a Zune as a gift? Isn't that a war crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, the difference here is Blizzard didn't release Diablo 3 a year ago as a game without any weapons, enemies, or levels unless you bought Diablo 1 and 2 and had them installed on your computer and running at the same time as 3.

Point. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You seem to have an unholy amount of hatred and resentment towards Apple, their employees, their products, and their entire philosophy, and I wonder why people like you still visit sites like these and posts on such boards. You even have the need to take vicious, hateful, belittling personal attacks on Apple's executives. Why is this necessary, and is all your frothing of the mouth based on the lack of matte screens? How utterly childish.

- WHat kind of interface do you want? From Microsofts own words, Windows 8 was a direct response to iOS. They had no choice, Apple forced them to completely revamp their UI. So now Apple should respond by randomly revamping theirs? Android has been flailing randomly the past few years trying to nail down a look and some consistency. Just because Apple was 1st to the game, they should just change their UI for the hell of it? Do you not realize their major advantage is familiarity and consistency? Their greatest skill is adding a ton of features and power to iOS since release, without cluttering anything up and keeping the interface simple and intuitive. Also, It's only been 4 month since Steve's death, and you're accusing the team of 'shitting their pants' and being 'vionsionless' because they didn't run and change everything right after he died? What the hell makes you think iOS would look any different now if Steve was still here? Obviously it wouldn't.

- Launchpad: You never, ever have to use it if you don't like it. Stop bitching about an ADDED option that does nothing to stifle your ability to use the old one. I've seen plenty of less technically inclined people who now use launchpad exclusively to browse additional applications- its a much more intuitive system than opening finder, getting a small window, click on application, then browsing a tiny list, then double-clicking. Especially people coming from iOS- what's wrong with familiarity and consistency? Have you heard of the halo effect? Obviously you have no clue what that even is.

- Why are you attacking Phil Shiller with such nastiness? Did he rape your dog? Yes, he demoed 10.8 to a bunch of journalists (not just John Gruber) a week before it was revealed. He wasn't 'leaking' anything- it was Apple's strategy to give tech journalists time to dwelve into the OS before it was made public, and was a move sanctioned by the whole company, not some sneaky initiative by him.

Your latest post is even more insane, and your 'suggestions' shows that you don't have the slightest clue of Apple's core and what has made them successful. 'Diversify' the lineup? Apple will more likely cut models, not add more. Overhaul iOS but give an 'option to switch back'. Wow. This is your definition of bold? Making something new but having so little confidence as to have a fall-back option, so that you have people running visually different OS styles, fragmentation, and then having to optimize every single update, addition, and feature for both a 'new' and 'old' look? That's a horrible idea about as un-Apple as I can imagine. A 'crazy bleeding edge division'? What the hell does that mean? Sounds like you want them to experiment and throw shit out there, for a niche audience, and to see what sticks, like everyone else. Again, so un-Apple-like.

If Apple followed your suggestions they'd start going down the shitter so fast. Yet you speak as if Apple needs to do exactly what YOU want them to do, otherwise everyone there is an imbecile and they're doomed. What hubris, especially when none of your suggestions are in Apple's DNA, and all things SJ would have laughed out of the room. You say they will fail if they dont do a complete 180 on their general philosophies, which is essentially what you're suggesting.

Stick to bitching about lack of matte screens, and less of personally mocking and attacking the people at Apple that have been critical to its success, calling them visionless, because they're not implementing the short-sighted, asinine moves that you fantasize about. Better yet, stop using their products if you hate what the company has become. Why would you stick with a company you believe is being run by vision-less clowns that you have no confidence in? You There's a ton of options out there, and they won't be giving in to your demands anytime soon. Save yourself from stress. Because contrary to your ranting, it is still the same company that existed under the leadership of Jobs, and has become successful exactly by doing the things that you hate.

Superb explanation. Superb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He registered on an Apple forum just to insult all Apple fans. He's real.

Unreal, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm having lizard-brains for dinner tonight. It's actually not that bad, and I hear that it's quite nutritious. I prefer mine medium rare. And for dessert, I'll be serving Fandroid intestines sprinkled with a touch of iHater BBQ sauce.

That iHater BBQ sauce is crap. It has no kick at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Then clearly you have never had real lizard brains because they don't taste like chicken at all. Faux lizard brains are flavored like chicken because they can't make them taste like lizard brains because real lizard brains taste like Tasty Wheat

LOL@theMatrixquote
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
post #94 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow. My counseling sessions are apparently starting to work. I was being treated for rebellious non-conformity and now, for the first time in my life, been labeled as blind subservient. With a little more work I should be able function in society.

To complete the process, you should go on welfare

/s
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #95 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post



Oh yeah? Tell me three things I stated as fact and i made up? As for my attitude it's expected at some point when I just finished reading one snarky comment after the other on a competitor (which I don't care that much about anyway, but nastiness is nastiness). Its all good and well and we can poke sarcastic fun at others but when someone (who also admittedly happens to like apple for the most part) has a bit of a mean spirited go too we suddenly lose our sense of humour? How convenient.

I was objecting to this garbage:

Quote:
...is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.



My enduring image of Phil Schiller is that of jumping off a few tens of feet height on a mattress like contraption to appease his master... Lately he's allegedly also taken up the onerous task of having cocktails with Grubber in hotel lounges and leaking os x 10.8 mountain lion.

It mostly this kind of crap we can do without. If you think others are going too far in one direction, you're going too far in the other just makes it worse, not better.

This IS an Apple related site. It's not primarily a news site. If you don't like the attitude, then you can leave.
post #96 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This IS an Apple related site. It's not primarily a news site. If you don't like the attitude, then you can leave.

manwearingsunglassesdoingadancefromthe'70s.gif
post #97 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

And how many months late, exactly, was iOS5 and the iPhone 4S? Yeah. I don't think you're really in a position to make snarky comments here, Ai. Could you please just stick to reporting the facts, and stop the childish attitude already? You're turning into the 4Chan of Apple news.

We don't really know if Apple was late with iOS5 and the 4S, or whether they are changing the release date to just before the holiday season, as they have had with the iPods. But because of the iPhone, the iPod is declining in sales, which is good for Apple, as people are buying iPhones instead. Moving the release to the late September/early October date could be a new strategy.

We won't know this until the developer conference comes and goes.
post #98 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Too bad I purchased only 3 PlayBooks and not more

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

Ha, what a fool. If you waited until Christmas 2012 you'd be able to buy 4 for the price that you paid for 1 in the massive fire sale that RIM will have to have.

Not everybody has one, not everybody wants one. Hence the poor sales despite the massive discounts.
post #99 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I was objecting to this garbage:

It mostly this kind of crap we can do without. If you think others are going too far in one direction, you're going too far in the other just makes it worse, not better.

Yeah but I can have my buttons pushed too, you know, I am human, snarkiness breeds snarkiness. I might not be making things better, but I am not instigating it. If Dan wants to be perennially sarcastic with everyone and anyone not apple he's instigating trash talk even by people who are fond of the way apple are doing things most of the time. At some point it might be wise for him to realize this and tone it down a notch.

He should also bear in mind that apple is now the largest tech company in the world and people will find it much harder stomaching nastiness for nastiness sake towards other waaaaaay much smaller struggling companies. It's one thing to make fun of msft or google and another thing to make fun of every small player trying to carve a niche for themselves with their much smaller resources. That's just petty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This IS an Apple related site. It's not primarily a news site. If you don't like the attitude, then you can leave.

If I keep noting the same unwarranted nasty attitude I will leave don't worry.
post #100 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I might not be making things better

Beautiful admission.

Sums you up beautifully, as does your sarcastic username.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
post #101 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Serious question- what do you do with 3 playbooks? And why would you want more?

he's canadian so needed to buy pieces of cr+p playless books from a canadian co...not sure why because a company was canadian would wanna make u wanna buy from them more even if u are canadian..seeing that foxconn probably manufactures everything in good old china.
post #102 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

he's canadian so needed to buy pieces of cr+p playless books from a canadian co...not sure why because a company was canadian would wanna make u wanna buy from them more even if u are canadian..seeing that foxconn probably manufactures everything in good old china.

it could also be that bad luck happens in 3's.
post #103 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

One can never argue with the self appointed minister of propaganda here.


Oh yeah? Tell me three things I stated as fact and i made up? As for my attitude it's expected at some point when I just finished reading one snarky comment after the other on a competitor (which I don't care that much about anyway, but nastiness is nastiness). Its all good and well and we can poke sarcastic fun at others but when someone (who also admittedly happens to like apple for the most part) has a bit of a mean spirited go too we suddenly lose our sense of humour? How convenient.


Yeas, thats exactly what i mean, and we agree, I am making a point that they are cross pollinating one bad interface iOS idea to os x. You might want to look for councelling at your blind subservience issues though if you think the rest is nonsense, and grow a sense of humour.

You 'like Apple for the most part'- you just happen to despise their top level decision makers (who also happen to be visionless, shit their pants, and imbecilic), their iPhone software, iPad software, desktop software, and their entire hardware philosophy and direction. Beyond these minor things, you actually like Apple, right? What's left?

How can you say that, without being a blatant troll, a liar, or both? And you might want to stop with the 'blind subservience' garbage against people who call you out on your bullshit. It's not a very original attack, but I'm sure you knew that. Maybe next time you could mix it up with 'iSheep', 'cultists', and 'worshippers', because nobody has heard these attacks either. I noticed you didn't bother replying to my response where I broke down your 'points' line by line, making the ridiculousness of your words clear. No, it's easier to keep demanding that people show you 'proof' that your 'facts' are wrong, even though your entire post was nothing but personal attacks, nastiness, and demanding that Apple does exactly what you want them to do. Because obviously their success to this point was completely accidental, right? According to you they're doing everything wrong. Does that seem rational to you? There's not a shred of rationality in your posts, so stop demanding that people 'prove' that you're wrong, and stop being a lying, disingenuous troll because it's clear there's not a single aspect of the company you actually like.
post #104 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's all good and well to poke fun at rim who has neither apple's clout nor their resources in LCD, flash and CPU parts and who can't bully exclusivity out of manufacturers, hence they opt out for said size of tablet, but if yet another tablet os gets nowhere this is going to do competition and innovation no good. Having said that it was indeed a poor decision, and a hasty one to opt for said size to undercut apple in price, a lot of us saw this size as doa without other prerequisites such as e.g. Amazons clout behind it.

Having said that too, can anyone explain to me why the iPad os still looks like what my iPhone used to look like 5 years ago in its main interface? Do I detect a little lack of vision there, is Scott Forestall and his clones a bit shitting their pants now that the leader isn't there to make the bold move? Oh yeah but now the mac has the great option from launchpad to stick a dozen of apps in folders each one showing eventually a pretty much indescernible end folder view from the others with miniaturizations only to be told apart by reading very fine print underneath. Encouraging to see rather s**t ideas cross pollinating the apple ecosystem.



My enduring image of Phil Schiller is that of jumping off a few tens of feet height on a mattress like contraption to appease his master... Lately he's allegedly also taken up the onerous task of having cocktails with Grubber in hotel lounges and leaking os x 10.8 mountain lion.


The kindle version of Android is providing enough competition. Instead of trying to save us all from Apple, maybe RIM can dedicate their resources to making a great new product people want. That is how Apple got all that clout. RIM got in this predicament because they laughed when change came instead of participating. Their iceberg has melted.
post #105 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The kindle version of Android is providing enough competition. Instead of trying to save us all from Apple, maybe RIM can dedicate their resources to making a great new product people want. That is how Apple got all that clout. RIM got in this predicament because they laughed when change came instead of participating. Their iceberg has melted.

It is pretty ridiculous that someone would say it's not fair that Apple has the best products at the best prices as if they obtained that position in ways that weren't available to all other companies.

I do have to say that in all fairness I don't think RiM laughed at Apple or the iPhone, I think they were so dumbfounded and nonplussed that the only thing they could conceive is that the iPhone's demo had to have been faked.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #106 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah but I can have my buttons pushed too, you know, I am human, snarkiness breeds snarkiness. I might not be making things better, but I am not instigating it. If Dan wants to be perennially sarcastic with everyone and anyone not apple he's instigating trash talk even by people who are fond of the way apple are doing things most of the time. At some point it might be wise for him to realize this and tone it down a notch.

He should also bear in mind that apple is now the largest tech company in the world and people will find it much harder stomaching nastiness for nastiness sake towards other waaaaaay much smaller struggling companies. It's one thing to make fun of msft or google and another thing to make fun of every small player trying to carve a niche for themselves with their much smaller resources. That's just petty.


If I keep noting the same unwarranted nasty attitude I will leave don't worry.

This concept of "smaller companies" doesn't wash. Apple was a smaller company as well, but they managed to become the second largest tech company in the world, as Samsung was the largest last year, though that will change this year.

Apple managed to get where they are because of brilliant management. RIM is where they are because of poor management. Otherwise, RIM could be much larger, and Apple could be much smaller.

So criticizing RIM for their incompetence is perfectly fair. You should read the financial sites to read really bad things about them. RIM screwed up, not because they are smaller, but because they failed to see what was happening around them. By the time they understood, it was really too late.

Then, to come out with the Playbook in the state it was in, was totally incorrigible. How could they dare to claim that it was the "first professional tablet" when it could do almost nothing? They KNEW the software wasn't ready. Then they promised the fixes in the beginning of the summer, then the end of the summer, then by the end of the year, and finally, this February, a date they finally met.

That had nothing to do with their size. Apple carried out several major turnovers throughout the years, first moving from the 68xxx to the PC. Then from System 9 to OS X, then to x86. And even thought they were a smaller company than RIM has been, and much poorer, they carried it off very well.

So to state that Apple is doing well because it bullies its supply lines, is telling us nothing useful. It can do what it wants to there BECAUSE it's been so very successful making products people want, not the other way around. They grew into the role, not the other way around.

But RIM, well, they were at the top of the world. But now, they are at the edge of the cliff.

And it's all their fault.
post #107 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

RIM screwed up, not because they are smaller, but because they failed to see what was happening around them. By the time they understood, it was really too late.
But RIM, well, they were at the top of the world. But now, they are at the edge of the cliff.

And it's all their fault.

You can replace RIM with Kodak and get the exact same result. Heck, Kodak even had the first digital camera. They should have seen it coming.

RIM should have done better. I would think businesses would have expected better from a company they had trusted for so long.

And now they trust Apple, who they would never have before. Funny how that works.
post #108 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It is pretty ridiculous that someone would say it's not fair that Apple has the best products at the best prices as if they obtained that position in ways that weren't available to all other companies.

I do have to say that in all fairness I don't think RiM laughed at Apple or the iPhone, I think they were so dumbfounded and nonplussed that the only thing they could conceive is that the iPhone's deo had to have been faked.

RIM didn't laugh at the iPhone, they just didn't believe that Apple could make the product they claimed to have made, until they bought one, and took it apart.

On the other hand, Microsoft, or at least Ballmer, did laugh at it in that now infamous interview, where he even got his facts wrong.
post #109 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can replace RIM with Kodak and get the exact same result. Heck, Kodak even had the first digital camera. They should have seen it coming.

RIM should have done better. I would think businesses would have expected better from a company they had trusted for so long.

And now they trust Apple, who they would never have before. Funny how that works.

While I don't know people at RIM, and so I can't say anything about what happened there other than what I read in the financial and business sites, I do know Kodak very well. My company and Kodak did a lot of business together, and we developed the world's only professional Kodachrome line. I also wrote a lot of technical articles for their monthly professional lab newsletter.

Kodak is a much sadder case than RIM, for whom I feel little sorrow. Kodak, on the other hand, was a victim of much greater forces. All the great photography houses are suffering the same fate. I had a $300,000 AGFA mini-lab in my lab. A major force in many areas of photography, and they finally sold the photo division to its managers. They even lent them to money to do the deal, they were so eager to get out of the business.

Kodak simply waited too long to drop some areas. But their problems go back to the late 1990s. I won't go into all of that, but if they hadn't done some things that the financial industry was pounding them to do, they would still be solvent today. The only reason why Fuji is doing ok in this area is because photography is just a small part of their business.

But look at the others. Konica was merged (really bought) by Minolta, which itself was then bought by Sony, as it was failing. Sony is now having problems. Olympus is racked with scandal, and may not survive the way they are now. Pentax was broken up and parts are owned by two companies.

I could go on, but it's almost too sad to relate.
post #110 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I could go on, but it's almost too sad to relate.

Be happy with Canon and Nikon. Both make fine products. We can choose between two excellent choices.

I hope that other electronics categories do not get whittled down to only one choice.
post #111 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Be happy with Canon and Nikon. Both make fine products. We can choose between two excellent choices.

I hope that other electronics categories do not get whittled down to only one choice.

It isn't that simple, of course. I've been a Canon SLR, and then D-SLR user since 1969. But Kodak's products covered a greater range in many ways.
post #112 of 143
All of this sounds like survival of the fittest. Apple has been able to keep up by its ability to draw in with the easy to use and simple look. Android for its many choices and cheap prices. Its sad to see company's like Kodak go, but if you can't keep up with the wants you become the has beens.
post #113 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This is to hopefully clear up the misconception that the Playbook can run Android apps. It can't. Period. At first, RIM was being very coy about that, but it was rapidly cleared up after being asked pointed questions about it.

This is from RIM's web site, in one of their FAQ's:

Repackaged actually means recompiled and tweaked.

wow. so all that hype about the Playbook running Android apps is, in fact, total bullshit. unbelievable shuck and jive. has even one actually been recompiled? (probably, but 100?)?

so why hasn't the blogsphere piled on this blatant fraud?
post #114 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post




If I keep noting the same unwarranted nasty attitude I will leave don't worry.

Feel free. Nobody is holding you back.
post #115 of 143
RIM will post another $100 million+ write-off this quarter on Playbook inventory. The cycle will continue and add up to over a billion dollar loss. With no path to profitability, especially at $199

All while their core cell phone business burns to the ground. Launch in '2nd half of 2012' means holiday Q4 with Q1 full rollout - a full year from now

Any company that could bring the Storm to market and advertise the crap out of it deserves to go down

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #116 of 143
Is it just me, or does every button press in the video seem very careful and deliberate, as if the screen might not reliably respond to a light tap?
post #117 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

To me this ad says "If you are the kind of person who wastes money on pretentious decor and food... boy do we have the tablet for you!"

I don't think the tablet market is currently aimed at folks who eat at McDonalds every day.
post #118 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Serious question- what do you do with 3 playbooks? And why would you want more?

I think you missed the implied /s tag.
post #119 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Is it just me, or does every button press in the video seem very careful and deliberate, as if the screen might not reliably respond to a light tap?

Oh, that's not just you; it won't.
post #120 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfudge View Post

Christmas gifts for family. Not everyone has one yet.

RIM has a great opportunity in the gag holiday gift market.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM releases PlayBook OS 2.0 two months late