or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Adobe Photoshop Touch for iPad expected to hit App Store Monday for $9.99

Adobe Photoshop Touch for iPad expected to hit App Store Monday for $9.99 - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Adobe is to design, what Jay Leno is to comedy.

They're both dinosaurs.

I'd like to see Apple deliver 'MacPaint Retina' for the iPad 3.

Leno is the #1 ranked late night television comedian so your analogy is a bit flawed.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #42 of 78
Adobe are dinosaurs.

Their software is bloated, clunky and over priced.

Jobs pulled their pants down over Flash.

So...true to form they've written their software in Air not in a native iOS environment?

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Adobe is to design, what Jay Leno is to comedy.

They're both dinosaurs.

I'd like to see Apple deliver 'MacPaint Retina' for the iPad 3.

Off topic a bit but 'MacDraw Retina' too please
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #44 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Of course, those who hate Apple will say that Samsung had it first and that Apple is just copying them but they won't realize that Apple will add it to the entire line not just one product in a category.

Could they stoop any lower? The NERVE of those people!

Apple is going to add it to the entire line. That means that Samsung was NOT first. Apple is NOT copying them.
post #45 of 78
RE: Digitizer capabilities

1) Wacom is the definitive leader in this category;
2) If Apple were to produce an iPad with digitizing i.e. pressure sensitivity, I would expect them to do it right, therefor licensing Wacom's patents;
3) yes the Wacom tablets, and most of all the pens are patented up the Ying-to-the-Yang....so;
4) how is Samesung getting around those patents??? Are they?...
5)....and finally, if Apple were to do a pressure-sensative iPad, how long do you think it would take before they were sued by Wacom? 3-2-1... in seconds.

RE: Adobe and PS for iPad
1) just lame! As is the entire CS these days, mostly due to their insistence on using AIR as their installer engine. They can't even make that consistent between their assorted mess of software, updates, etc.
2) even sloppier than MS... and that's a pretty hard bar to reach!

RE: Apple "missing the boat", "losing", "Doomed"....etc.

This just in:

JP Morgan: Apple is a sector unto itself

Quote:
JP Morgan's hardware analyst Mark Moskowitz has laid bare exactly how huge Apple has become lately, calling the company an actual "sector," not just a company any more. Of course, on paper, Apple is competing with other computer and device manufacturers like Dell and Samsung, but the numbers just don't make that comparison meaningful any more, says Moskowitz. Apple's stock is by far the largest single stock in the S&P 500 index, and when you compare the company's income to other tech sectors like Pharmaceuticals and Software as a whole, Apple's take actually lines up within the top 10.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

3) yes the Wacom tablets, and most of all the pens are patented up the Ying-to-the-Yang....so;
5)....and finally, if Apple were to do a pressure-sensative iPad, how long do you think it would take before they were sued by Wacom? 3-2-1... in seconds.

1) Isn't Ying-to-the-Yang a subsidiary of Proview?

2) I assumed Wacom licensed their digitizer tech to Samsung.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #47 of 78
Quote:

1) just lame! As is the entire CS these days, mostly due to their insistence on using AIR as their installer engine. They can't even make that consistent between their assorted mess of software, updates, etc.

AIR is required only if you have an older Mac not on a current Mac running Lion. AIR is the fall back position. What would you rather, that Adobe acted like Apple and just said sorry you can't install CS on an older Mac?

EDIT: Actually you are correct that it does use AIR. My mistake. On our newer machines, it did not ask to install AIR because CS4 already installed it so upgrading to 5.5 it did not ask. On the older machines which we were upgrading from CS3 to CS5.5 skipping CS4 it asked to install AIR first. In any case I have not experienced any difficulty with any of their installers.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #48 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I'm not an english-native speaker, but I thought my 'if only' implied I already know/expect it to not have it

Actually I think your doubts about it happening soon did come across in your post. I was more getting at the why of the matter i.e. not as many people need /want it but some other posters (Soli and I believe Prof Peabody) indicate we may be able to get the best of both worlds at some point. Which would be great.

I'll take a wild ass guess and say- auf wiedersehen
post #49 of 78
Quote:

1) Isn't Ying-to-the-Yang a subsidiary of Proview?

No doubt

Quote:
2) I assumed Wacom licensed their digitizer tech to Samsung.

Yeah! Yeah!... I should do my research first, because it is licensed by Samsung:
Samsung Galaxy Note uses a Wacom digitizer for precision stylus tracking

So... if Apple "would" consider this idea, they "would" be second to the plate... uhm tablet, and the Fandroids would be correct in stating so.

Curious what Wacom would want from Apple for licensing/costs as opposed to Samsung???

I could live with it though I've been using a Wacom since ~1995 and have rarely if ever used a mouse for the last 10 years or so. I do like trackpads as an alternative though.
post #50 of 78
Quote:

Yeah! Yeah!... I should do my research first, because it is licensed by Samsung:
Samsung Galaxy Note uses a Wacom digitizer for precision stylus tracking

So... if Apple "would" consider this idea, they "would" be second to the plate... uhm tablet, and the Fandroids would be correct in stating so.

Curious what Wacom would want from Apple for licensing/costs as opposed to Samsung???

I could live with it though I've been using a Wacom since ~1995 and have rarely if ever used a mouse for the last 10 years or so. I do like trackpads as an alternative though.

I wonder about the cost to usability. Samsung has two(?) Galaxy Note sizes that have the Wacom digitizer but it's not in every Samsung tablet or phone.

For Apple to do this they'd have to put it in every iPad. For 2012 that's about 80-100 million units. Is that really needed? I don't think so unless Apple has a "killer app" that would make this very useful to more than just a niche market.

Of course they could create a special tablet that has the digitizer but that typically isn't how Apple releases products.

post #51 of 78
Quote:

If Apple drops the ball most people call them out on it. FCPX is a great example of this.

Note the most popular product by Apple is the iPhone 4S which has an 8Mpx camera. That's a resolution of 3264x2448 yet this app can only edit images that are 1600x1600. That's less than 1/3 the number of pixels of the iPhone 4S.

But wait, it gets worse. Even images from the iPhone 4 can't be used because it shoots at 5Mpx which is 2592x1936 resolution. That's a problem because I can see many customers who want to edit images on their iPad are likely to be using an iPhone.

Uhuh there goes my excitement about a photoshopish App for the iPad. Your calculations are disheartening. I really do hope Adobe add's a bit more effort in doing this properly. 1600 X 1600 may be enough to create some OK looking invitation cards, but actual artistic content needs a lot more resolution. Not even an amateur photographer wants to be limited by this poor resolution.
post #52 of 78
Quote:

RE: Digitizer capabilities

1) Wacom is the definitive leader in this category;
2) If Apple were to produce an iPad with digitizing i.e. pressure sensitivity, I would expect them to do it right, therefor licensing Wacom's patents;

RE: Adobe and PS for iPad
2) even sloppier than MS... and that's a pretty hard bar to reach!

RE: Apple "missing the boat", "losing", "Doomed"....etc.

This just in:

JP Morgan: Apple is a sector unto itself

Why Not putting Wacom on Apples easter shopping list? As far as I know they have no parallel projects running. This could be purely complementary and thus very lucrative.

Just a thought.
post #53 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Leno is the #1 ranked late night television comedian so your analogy is a bit flawed.

Actually works rather well since despite all it's flaws Photoshop is the #1 image editing program.
post #54 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Uhuh there goes my excitement about a photoshopish App for the iPad. Your calculations are disheartening. I really do hope Adobe add's a bit more effort in doing this properly. 1600 X 1600 may be enough to create some OK looking invitation cards, but actual artistic content needs a lot more resolution. Not even an amateur photographer wants to be limited by this poor resolution.

Well it is not like 1600 was all they could muster out of the code. Clearly it was a deliberate decision to only offer that resolution. Wonder why that was? Uh, maybe they are positioning it as an entry level version not to compete with their main platform. Remind you of any other company?

post #55 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well it is not like 1600 was all they could muster out of the code. Clearly it was a deliberate decision to only offer that resolution. Wonder why that was? Uh, maybe they are positioning it as an entry level version not to compete with their main platform. Remind you of any other company?

But when Apple limits something they typically do it to simply things between HW, SW and services, not complicate them. For instance, I expect that we get word of a 1080p AppleTV or 1080p content on iTunes Store the other will get updated aright about the same time. Also, when Apple's AirPort routers get 802.11ac or MBPs get 802.11ac I will expect the other to get updated around the same time.

I just don't get where these 2.5Mpx images would be coming from if even amateurs with camera phones are likely well above the maximum limit. Now if that is the maximum resolution for RAW images then the data size starts to make since but then I wonder why wouldn't they just limit the image to their file size instead of their resolution.

post #56 of 78
Never before have I read something like this, and gone from really pleased to disappointed so quickly:

1. Photoshop Lite Lite for the iPad - GREAT!!!
2. iPad 2 Only - Eh???
3. 1600px*1600px - WTF??
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh and you can open up any resolution you just can't save it at more then 1600. Which is more then fine for the iPhone 4S if anyone has concerns. I mean my printer is only 1200dpi which is what this program is for, printing.

Erm, the 1,600 is pixel dimensions, not dpi. A 1,600 pixel image is good for lots of things. But at 72 dpi printing is not one of them.
post #58 of 78
Quote:

But when Apple limits something they typically do it to simply things between HW, SW and services, not complicate them. For instance, I expect that we get word of a 1080p AppleTV or 1080p content on iTunes Store the other will get updated aright about the same time. Also, when Apple's AirPort routers get 802.11ac or MBPs get 802.11ac I will expect the other to get updated around the same time.

I was thinking of several other instances such as Lion not running on older Macs when hackers were able to do a workaround. Siri not on older phones when hackers were able to do a workaround. Where iBooks Author not able to run on older Macs when hackers were able to make a workaround. ML will only work on even newer Macs, where iPods have been crippled to make you upgrade to the next more expensive version, original iPad excluded for arbitrary reasons from certain software, and many, many other instances where arguably they are all designed to make you buy a new computer or device.

Not saying it isn't a good business move, only that Adobe limiting the resolution to 1600 doesn't seem to be out of character with that type of business model. Yet I still think that 8 MP is overkill for a phone, however Apple had to do it since the competition offered it first. I also stand by my original position that most iPhone pictures need to be cropped anyway which puts them closer to the range of the new PS app and also it is much more common for phone images to be used on the web and not as often in a high-res printing scenarios. If you need the full 8 MP from an image, that image can be saved and exported to some other editing application, but that in itself does not invalidate the new PS features and capabilities.

Even so you are speculating about iPhone photos not iPad which is the platform the PS software is running on. I can't remember the actual resolution of the iPad camera but I think it is really pretty low. So it could be argued that the 1600 limitation is in keeping with the resolution of the device it is running on and one of the unique features is using the device's camera to fill an area of the working composition.

post #59 of 78
I won't be crazy and say cs 5.5, but you would think there would be an app that is at least better than elements for the iPad. Nothing even gets close. One day...but not yet. If you want anything past amateur looking editing- desktop/laptops are still the only choice.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #60 of 78
Quote:

Yes I understand, it must be deliberate. I am afraid, that the reason is, that everything becomes too sluggish if the resolution is higher, what brings us back to the question, whether the code is good enough. It might also be the problem of only 1/2 a GB RAM. I don't know how well the flash drive can be used as scratch drive, since people (like me) use to fill their iPads up to 90% with content.
post #61 of 78
Quote:

It might also be the problem of only 1/2 a GB RAM.

Gee, you think so?
post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

According to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_AIR

I wonder why Apple allows AIR on iOS, yet disallows Flash on iOS.

They don't allow AIR on iOS. It's Flash code, compiled down to run on iOS. Sounds like it doesn't result in very optimized assemblies, compared to Obj C.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 78
Quote:

Yes I understand, it must be deliberate. I am afraid, that the reason is, that everything becomes too sluggish if the resolution is higher, what brings us back to the question, whether the code is good enough. It might also be the problem of only 1/2 a GB RAM. I don't know how well the flash drive can be used as scratch drive, since people (like me) use to fill their iPads up to 90% with content.

Some very good points. Thanks.

post #64 of 78
FLASH PRIORITY!!!!!

I just downloaded it and installed it here in California 10 minutes ago.
post #65 of 78
It's now live in the App Store. Played with it for a couple hours. I must say for $10 it's really good. It doesn't come close to being as powerful as the desktop version (if it is they wouldn't sell it for $10) but for a touch enabled tablet app it'll help remove the consumption only label on the iPad. It's the second best app I've used next to Sketchbook Pro.

Don't let the fanboy bitch about AIR get to you. Adobe did really well with this app.
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Adobe are dinosaurs.

Their software is bloated, clunky and over priced.

Jobs pulled their pants down over Flash.

So...true to form they've written their software in Air not in a native iOS environment?

Lemon Bon Bon.

The fanboy is strong in you..
post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

It's now live in the App Store. Played with it for a couple hours. I must say for $10 it's really good. It doesn't come close to being as powerful as the desktop version (if it is they wouldn't sell it for $10) but for a touch enabled tablet app it'll help remove the consumption only label on the iPad. It's the second best app I've used next to Sketchbook Pro.

Don't let the fanboy bitch about AIR get to you. Adobe did really well with this app.

Yep, me too. I was pleasantly surprised at how much they were able to do with the program on a touch screen. It will never compete with the PC version, but for light duty, it works really well. i have no complaints. Already made myself some icons for my personal ipad theme.
post #68 of 78
No need for A digitizer, Jot Stylus works great and they already have a pressure sensitive stylus that will be out without the need for a digitizer. Niw what we need is mkre powerful apps, the iPad 2/3 can run desktop programs stop cutting capabilities of the iOS apps...
post #69 of 78
Quote:

When you pass into puberty, conversationally speaking, perhaps you will have something interesting to discuss. An adult calling another adult a fanboy is a sad indictment of today's social commentary.
post #70 of 78
Take a look at this pro site:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s_part_2.shtml

Photogene is probably your best bet at this moment and it can handle 21 MP files.
post #71 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

AIR also explains the ugly, non-standard UI.

The UI is fine. The issues are no status bar, crappy keyboard and the laggy scrolling.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Are you saying that they have an app that takes Flash source and generates Objective C source?

Any idea on how efficient it is?

Any link?

I am curious because, years ago (maimframes) they had "sift" programs that did this -- badly!

The most recent experience I had was about 12 years ago -- where Adobe ColdFusion scripting language was converted on-the-fly to Java Source then jit-compiled into byte code...

The result was OK -- but not very efficient (e.g. ColdFusion variables were type-less and inefficient to translate and process).

Yes, Adobe Flash Builder packages your custom code with air runtime code as native byte code.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/arti...-apps-ios.html
post #73 of 78
Quote:

Don't buy it is all I can suggest.

I take 16 MB images all the time for product shots. The area of interest is usually in the center and uses about a tenth of the available image area. As I said it is not a replacement for the desktop version of PS, however it will be very useful for many people.

Let's just wait and see how popular it is on the App Store before we give it a total FAIL.

So you could actually use a 2 megapixel camera with a zoom to do your shots?
post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

now if only the ipad3 would get a wacom active digitizer instead of a simple capacative touchscreen..

amen, amen, amen.
post #75 of 78
... on my aging iPad 1.
But I use FilterStorm a lot, excellent product. Make sure you watch the videos to fully take advantage of what it has to offer. (No, I am not related to FilterStorm)
post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

What the heck is wrong with Adobe?! I simply do not understand them. Their Mac apps refuse to adhere to the Mac OS. Instead, they look and feel like Windows apps. Photoshop is clunky and takes up the entire screen even if I'm just working on something as simple as designing a frigging 64 by 64 pixel icon. And now, Adobe does it again with an iPad app that might as well have been written for an entirely different tablet. Sheesh.

Actually it was released for the Android tablet first about 4 months earlier so yes you are right that it was probably designed on and for that platform. I quite like the look and layout though the screenshot's don't do it's justice. The Photoshop app however is not a very good a app but Adobe will be releasing some other apps like Proto and Debut, my two favorite. Proto allows you to mock up a site which you can then export to Dreamweaver later with layers, very cool program. I use it all the time. Go to the following site to check out the apps available for Android that will soon be available for iOS.

https://market.android.com/developer...+Systems&hl=en

I don't know if Eclipse will be released for iOS either but that's also being released soon for Android 4.0 and that is something that I can't wait for. I'm so happy to own a device from both platforms. Android for work and iOS for play.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #77 of 78
Quote:

The fanboy is strong in you..

*water off a ducks back. *Mac Pro entry model is still £500-600 overpriced compared to Apple's historical tower pricing...(and it was overpriced then...) and years out of date with no incremental update of ram, gpu, hd whilst waiting on Intel to bring out a new CPU.

As for Adobe. I think Steve Jobs said it best. But this quote from Macdailynews comments section made me smile.

Quote:
rolf
Monday, February 27, 2012 - 11:30 am · Reply

wait for Pixelmator from brilliantly innovative UK brothers!

boycott Adobe for these reasons:
1. timing
iPad PSD is too late

2. insult
Adobe developed Android version before iPad vers!
iPad PhotoshopTouch starts at 1.1

3. 2nd class
Adobe has screwed Mac users for over a decade now.
Apple is always treated as 2nd class since InDesign & CSS abuse. Apple made Adobe possible but Adobe has given their middle finger to Apple for far too long now the latest debacle of which was the Flash war that Ado badly lost

4. abuse
Adobe has long lost their mojo. they should be considered the Microsoft devil for Creative software industry. innovative my ass. much too expensive. and so militant about their legal battles with users who pirate. like the hollywood industry, they cry over spilled milk, but by punishing paying customers they alienate them and actually worsen their own situation by increasing piracy. theyre idiotic & unrealistic. and scared!

Apple has proven how software can be simple, not over bloated, and damn affordable without sacrifice to quality!

what is really innovative in psd for the last decade?!
seriously what feature is revolutionary not same old crap with tons of useless upgrade $?
the biggest innovation is still psd History feature from 1998 but that was stolen from MetaCreations + LivePicture without credit.

5. diluted
psd touch for iPad can be expected to be at best a diluted psd. but since adobe seems so out of touch with their flash battle & falling asleep against their Quark battle too in eBook software, and since theyre more into profit than useful non-abusive tools for users, since they fear their downfall more than innovate, as they desperately and very late in the game produce several iOS apps what are useless, as they created a failed adobe Air platform etc., it is unlikely even psd touch is well written or coded or conceived.

6. lame duck
adobe is finished. they lost the Flash battle.
they killed creativity over a decade ago. recall GoLive in 1999. recall Freehand11 2003 etc.
like Microsoft or Dell or Google etc. they just buy to kill competition.
they ride on past glory through updates/upgrades.
they miss the Next Big Things.
adobe missed eBooks, missed HTML5 etc.
they have no vision. no mojo. no guts.
they are desperados in fear.

ADBE is 30 times smaller than AAPL this week!!
$16B vs $487B
so for ADBE to fight AAPL, compete or even try to screw AAPL,
is so stupid, you cant expect much from Adobe anymore.

not that you should not rebel.
but AAPL is just right.
ADBE is always wrong.
since they fear vs create.
ADBE has no foundation to stand on.
they will crumble like IBM.

who can say they are in love with ADBE anyway?
love & loyalty are long lost.

As always in the computer industry. The king is dead. Long live the king.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Yep, me too. I was pleasantly surprised at how much they were able to do with the program on a touch screen. It will never compete with the PC version, but for light duty, it works really well. i have no complaints. Already made myself some icons for my personal ipad theme.

After some playing around, I have to admit, it is not as bad as I expected after reading some posts. I kind of liked that they added these little tutorials. This could be a good example for other developpers. I still hope the next version lets you decide to allow bigger image sizes. 1600x1600 is just way to small. I really hate it to see my 12 - 16 MB pics being reduced to a horrible pixel melee after importing.

I would give 2 1/2 stars out of 5.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Adobe Photoshop Touch for iPad expected to hit App Store Monday for $9.99
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Adobe Photoshop Touch for iPad expected to hit App Store Monday for $9.99