or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google: Android has 450K apps, 850K devices activated daily
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google: Android has 450K apps, 850K devices activated daily - Page 4

post #121 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I hate gas, but I put it in my van all the same.

Sounds about right. Is your van down by ther river under the over pass? Because you sound a lot like a motivational speaker about to crash a coffee table.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #122 of 161
I'm sure if we could look at how many apps were sold this could help a little with understanding the progress of a smartphone..if android apps sales are good then it tells a positive story - somehow i doubt the figures on that will be great.
post #123 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And that's my opinion and I am entitled to it. If you don't like it, then too bad.

Don't bother replying to me, because I have nothing more to say to your kind.

My kind. Having a formed opinion based on actual experience and use and not an opinion based on other peoples opinion and things read on the Internet. Shame to be educated.
post #124 of 161
Andy forgot to mention that anytime you post on a forum or on Twitter about Android activations, it counts as an "activation"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #125 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And if somebody comes here for the sole purpose of hating Apple and talking trash, then they should just join iHateApple.com instead.

Slashdot?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #126 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds about right. Is your van down by ther river under the over pass? Because you sound a lot like a motivational speaker about to crash a coffee table.

Dude, why don't you just ask him to ban you instead of acting all coy?
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
Reply
There's nothing your wife/girlfriend/partner wouldn't like more than a 6 Plus...
Reply
post #127 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Samsung appears to be quite profitable. A couple other vendors seem to be just above the red but not much.

In fact, the profits from vendors using Android is so weighted in Samsungs favour that if Samsung forked Android to make it their own and/or created the Samsung Android Market (SAM) so that validated and tested apps, much like Apple's App Store, could be sold I think Samsung could essentially close out everyone else who tried to compete with an Android-based device.

And that's really my point. Does anyone think that Samsung is not thinking of forking Android or improving Bada or whatever? Anyone who thinks that any company but Motorola will enjoy most favored status in a couple of years is not thinking clearly. Google has some serious money to recoup, especially with some of the patent litigation not going there way. Further, both the EC and the US have strongly signalled that there are not buy into the use of FRAND patents as a weapon. Google and Motorola are going to end up with little light between them.

Honestly, I think the Google-Motorola merger is the best thing that happened for Microsoft who I think has learned that they do not want to be in the mobile hardware arena.
post #128 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Dude, why don't you just ask him to ban you instead of acting all coy?

I just don't get why I can't hate something and still use it.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #129 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Screw Dreamweaver! Use Coda instead. I used TextEdit before Coda because even TextEdit is better than Dreamweaver.

Coda is good, but Dreamweaver has one thing that I can't find on others - Templates.

The ability to quickly change the content from Design A to Design B makes it worthwhile for me. I'm just waiting for the day when some other program offers similar functionality.
post #130 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sould we bring back the old argument from the mid 1990s that Apple should license their OS or lose market share?


Beautiful. Thanks for making me laugh today.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
Reply
post #131 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Coda is good, but Dreamweaver has one thing that I can't find on others - Templates.

And why would I want to make my website look like everyone else's? Why would I want to make my website look like anything that someone else said 'looks good'?

In ALL of my web design courses, we were told that we would fail outright if we use templates. He was one of the best professors I ever had. He was basically a Steve Jobs of website design, I kid you not. Real laid-back guy with one of the best eyes for design I've ever met.

Gorgeous stuff, he did.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #132 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

you have nailed it. apple is crying all the way to the bank about those activation numbers...

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the efforts of Google and Amazon. Google in particular is simply trying to flood the market and to make Android basically ubiquitous for smartphones by sheer numbers. Consider it the Windows approach. The heavy subsidies and bargain basement sales are not to be ignored and will peel of some sales from Apple as the Kindle Fire has shown. (yes, it sucks, yes it's cheap, and yes, it actually made a dent in Apple's tablet marketshare when so many others have failed.) Amazon is also working to basically undersell it's products to create a foothold in the tablet market. With all of that said, it seems a pretty odd tactic and really stale, a la the Windows PC market that always seems to resort to a race to the bottom to have any sign of profitability. Apple's approach to not compromise on quality, consumer experience, and lowball markets has powerfully carried them through the recession and continues on today. The Q4 results with the 4S in the mix was a great example of how much demand there is for Apple's products. We will have to see how long Amazon and Google can continue to subsidize their own products (Google by way of paying for Android development through the use of funds from other services/products and Amazon through the "future Amazon sales via the device" approach. On that note, I'm not clear on how anyone would want a smartphone or tablet from anyone who is simply using it to track you and sell you more things. There's something about that which just doesn't smell right. I'd much rather go with Apple's approach of just trying to make a kickass smartphone that you can use for whatever.

Just watch as Google and/or the handset makers will have a revolving door of Mea Culpas about harvesting and tracking user data without the user's permission.
post #133 of 161
Sorry Andy $13B > 800K
post #134 of 161
I love my Mac and iDevices, but as far as I see, this is totally good news. More competition might finally encourage Apple to reduce their prices a bit.
post #135 of 161
I can see some dirty kid riding a 15 year old moped through Mozambique talking on a cheap Android phone, but what I am seeing around Southern California is all iPhones all the time. It was like that in New York two years ago. I wasn't expecting it so fast here.

With dozens of device makers and thousands of devices, and they still can't beat Apple, it must be a bit unsettling for them. I wonder how that Star Trek Siri is coming along for them?
post #136 of 161
Numbers actually matter to the Malware writers because for them the more the better, the older (OS) the better, the lower the H/W configuration the better.
I think there is an industry that Andriod created.
post #137 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You know what they say about value of something. It is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Unlike gasoline which people need to get to work, nobody really needs a Mac, iPhone or iPad. They are luxury items. The only reason to lower the price would be if sales were slowing, which they are not. Do the shareholders want the prices reduced? I don't think so. They may want a dividend but not less revenue or share value.

Firstly they are not luxury items. That term is massively devalued. An entry level iPad is well within the reach of a McWorker - depending on the rest of his or her obligations, of course.

And the reason to lower the price would be to grab more market share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Of course it's not. And a lot of those activations are for bottom of the barrel Android phones in "developing" countries, which is a PC word for third world, poor as dirt countries. So who cares about their activation numbers, when the metric that matters the most, the almighty dollar, is where Apple is kicking Android's ass, every single day.

Except for Samsung. Its true that most Android manufacturers will bite the dust but the few that survive will be very big competition for Apple - as we see now. Samsung etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Thanks Mr. Omniscience.

Anyone who thinks 800 different devices running a wide variety of OS versions is impressive doesn't get business nor understand that most of those 800 items will have no long term future as these device makers will either be bankrupt or rolling back product plans in order to salvage the business from going into bankruptcy.

I won't even bother mentioning that 800 android derived devices range from a complete pile of crap to a modern, shiny device that still cannot get out of it's own platform rot and splintered distribution of applications.

Google's not actually winning and the extended debt this corporation is amassing just to keep from it's inertia overtaking it's aspirations for the digital world and leaving it to become nothing but a mature leader in search and ad placements doesn't impress anyone interested in determining where new markets will blossom and who will likely lead them.

By the way, over the past 12 months Google's stock is off $.73. You have to go back to late 2005 to see where there is any price points above today's close for more than a month in span.

It's debt is going to go up drastically over the next few years and Apple's bottom line will continue to explode upward.

Google overreached trying to be the next Microsoft and it shows.

What debt - Google's has $36.7 billion in cash and equivalents on hand.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #138 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure you don't. And I don't hate Google and Adobe.

Why would you spend energy hating a tech company? I highly doubt they even know you exist.

As per the other several nasty replies, this isn't a fansite for apple. It's not macfans or applefans. It's a place to read about rumors on upcoming products. Dunno why such a rapid cult atmosphere.
post #139 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Why would you spend energy hating a tech company? I highly doubt they even know you exist.

Many people hate Google because they know all too well you exist and everything else about your existence.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #140 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Another thing to consider is accessories.

Docks, alarm clocks, boomboxes, all those musical interfaces that plug into the Apple Dock Connector, etc.

There are tons of those things available for the iPhone.

And with the new dock connector, all of those things are now obsolete.

And with record sales upcoming of iProducts, Apple and its licensees will resell new accessories in record numbers.

Apple and accessory makers: Win.
Consumers: ?
post #141 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They were at 700k activations in December so their growth rate is slagging off fast.

Actually, I believe we had figured out back in December that they had slowed from a 3% to a 1.4% week over week growth by that 700k announcement on 12/21. Counting since then, they are maintaining a 2% week over week. They have actually picked up the pace since December, but they are still below the pace they had back in the summer.
post #142 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Actually, I believe we had figured out back in December that they had slowed from a 3% to a 1.4% week over week growth by that 700k announcement on 12/21. Counting since then, they are maintaining a 2% week over week. They have actually picked up the pace since December, but they are still below the pace they had back in the summer.

I prefer to think that Android is not doing well, thankyouverymuch.
post #143 of 161
Its the **cough** law of large numbers.

The law of large numbers WILL BITE YOU ON THE ASS!
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #144 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I prefer to think that Android is not doing well, thankyouverymuch.

I purposely avoided Android an waited to get an iPhone 4s even tho my contract on my old LG Lotus ran out back in Feb, so I'm not in Android's camp at all. I was just curious how their week over week was comparing w/what it was back in December. It appears to be doing better, but still not as good as in the summer. Then again, as you sell more units, it gets harder to maintain similar growth numbers
post #145 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Coda is good, but Dreamweaver has one thing that I can't find on others - Templates.

The ability to quickly change the content from Design A to Design B makes it worthwhile for me. I'm just waiting for the day when some other program offers similar functionality.

Write your own templates.
post #146 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Firstly they are not luxury items. That term is massively devalued. An entry level iPad is well within the reach of a McWorker - depending on the rest of his or her obligations, of course.

And the reason to lower the price would be to grab more market share.



Except for Samsung. Its true that most Android manufacturers will bite the dust but the few that survive will be very big competition for Apple - as we see now. Samsung etc.



What debt - Google's has $36.7 billion in cash and equivalents on hand.

Google has a total debts to assets ratio of 5.79:1 and a total debt to equity ratio of 7.29: 1.

No, they don't have $36.7 billion in cash and equivalents on hand. And that is before the $12.5 Billion + for MMI which carries a lot of extraneous debt along.

MMI brings in a $12.5 Billion charge which will actually be much higher once they process the entire retirement structure, etc., and negative profit margins.

Now on top of the current issues with total debt to equity (TDE) and total debt to assets (TDA), from Page 39:

http://investor.google.com/earnings.html

More specifically: http://investor.google.com/pdf/20111231_google_10K.pdf

Page 39-44 discuss their drawing of unsecured notes and much more to build up their assets, hence they don't have the capital you claim without extended debt--they are borrowing against stock issuances to build up their cash base.

Apple has ZERO DEBT. They aren't issuing a thing because they are building nothing but pure profit and reinvestments of said profits, quarter over quarter.

Their TDE and TDA are N/A.

A real interesting statement by Google:

Quote:
As of December 31, 2011, $21.2 billion of the $44.6 billion of cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities was held by our foreign subsidiaries. If these funds are needed for our operations in the U.S., we would be required to accrue and pay U.S. taxes to repatriate these funds. However, our intent is to permanently reinvest these funds
outside of the U.S. and our current plans do not demonstrate a need to repatriate them to fund our U.S. operations
.

I look forward to that $12.5 Billion + investment domestically requiring them to absorb a taxation to cover or another series of unsecured senior notes to help offset the costs and extend more debt to the long-term valuation of the Corporation.

I will say it again, APPLE HAS NO DEBT.

Neither Microsoft, Google, IBM, Oracle, Computer Associates, SAP, on and on and on can make that claim.

ONE COMPANY, ZERO DEBT, 100 BILLION and climing in Assets.

It's only going to grow.
post #147 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

And with the new dock connector, all of those things are now obsolete.

And with record sales upcoming of iProducts, Apple and its licensees will resell new accessories in record numbers.

Apple and accessory makers: Win.
Consumers: ?

I was speaking, of course, to the fact that you can buy accessories for your iPhone and iPad today and for the last few years.

Who knows what will happen in the future.

Now think about Android... which will NEVER have this array of accessories. Or do you think it's better not to have options like this? Is that a cool Android feature?

post #148 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And why would I want to make my website look like everyone else's? Why would I want to make my website look like anything that someone else said 'looks good'?

In ALL of my web design courses, we were told that we would fail outright if we use templates. He was one of the best professors I ever had. He was basically a Steve Jobs of website design, I kid you not. Real laid-back guy with one of the best eyes for design I've ever met.

You certainly didn't understand what was posted at all.

I don't think you understand the power offered with a Dreamweaver template. I'm not talking about buying a template.

Here's what I mean.

We have a set of 100 HTML email templates. We want to change the look from our 2011 style (that WE created) to a new 2012 style (that WE created.)

By adjusting the template, all pages that use that template our updated.

Just as changing a theme in Wordpress updates all pages, updating a Dreamweaver template updates all pages that use that template. This can be a huge timesaver when you are dealing with static pages.
post #149 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Write your own templates.

See post 148.

I'm not talking about buying templates, I'm referring to the power of updating all pages based on a template just by editing one template file. The changes are far easier using this method than using Search/Replace, especially when dealing with multiple Editable Regions.
post #150 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The quality of the phone has nothing to do with the OS running on it, that is a manufacturer problem.

And it has everything to do with the OS-purveyor allowing their OS to run on junk.

OS quality and hardware quality are THE SAME in the mind of the consumer. And so it should be.

Anyone who respects their product does not relinquish control of it at the most critical stage. This is why horizontal business models turn out to be garbage most of the time.
post #151 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutatio View Post

Just watch as Google and/or the handset makers will have a revolving door of Mea Culpas about harvesting and tracking user data without the user's permission.

You might be thinking that Apple's curated App Store wouldn't suffer from that too. You'd be wrong.

AFAIK, there's nothing except a developer's honesty that keeps them from accessing everything in the iOS sandbox from your appointments to music to contacts to pictures. Pretty much any personal information and data you have stored on your iPad or iPhone could be had by a dishonest app creator and if you use an App Store application there's nothing to prevent it from sending any or all of that information to servers outside of Apple's control.

All the tools to do so are in Apple's API's, and because of that Apple may not even notice what and approved app is actually gathering. At least for now Apple requires no notice or permission from you to access and harvest whatever personal information they find on your iPhone (other than fine location). At least Android itself does require your express permission before getting access to those areas.

Please, if I've misunderstood something, please do correct me.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #152 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Google has a total debts to assets ratio of 5.79:1 and a total debt to equity ratio of 7.29: 1.

I don't know where you get your numbers. I just looked at Google's official SEC numbers.

Total liabilities - $14.4 B
Total debt - $4.2 B

Total assets - $76.2 B
Total current assets - $52.8 B

Market cap - $200.9 B

That means total debt to assets is .055:1

Total debt to equity is about 0.02:1
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #153 of 161
Wow, alot of fuss over nothing. I'm wondering, why are you all so militantly against Android? A high level of Android adoption does not prevent you guys from continuing to enjoy your Apple devices. If Apple were to never go above 10% market share (like with PCs), you'd still have your device, your apps, etc... So why does it matter to you what Android's market share is?

Various manufacturers offer Android phones that have features iPhones don't, why is that a problem to Apple? And some Android phones suck, some are great. Just like some PCs suck, and some don't. Doesn't mean Apple's platform is inherently better.

If you left your bubble, you'd see that alot of manufacturers are doing cool things with Android - there's completely waterproof smartphones from Japanese manufacturers, quad core phones, 5" phones/tablets, phones with projectors, etc...

Me personally, I want a device that can replace my desktop PC for most of my daily computing tasks. So I bought an Android device. Lots of people (like my girlfriend), just want a phone that can play a few cool games, so she has an iPhone.

Variety is a good thing.
post #154 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Wow, alot of fuss over nothing. I'm wondering, why are you all so militantly against Android? A high level of Android adoption does not prevent you guys from continuing to enjoy your Apple devices. If Apple were to never go above 10% market share (like with PCs), you'd still have your device, your apps, etc... So why does it matter to you what Android's market share is?

Various manufacturers offer Android phones that have features iPhones don't, why is that a problem to Apple? And some Android phones suck, some are great. Just like some PCs suck, and some don't. Doesn't mean Apple's platform is inherently better.

If you left your bubble, you'd see that alot of manufacturers are doing cool things with Android - there's completely waterproof smartphones from Japanese manufacturers, quad core phones, 5" phones/tablets, phones with projectors, etc...

Me personally, I want a device that can replace my desktop PC for most of my daily computing tasks. So I bought an Android device. Lots of people (like my girlfriend), just want a phone that can play a few cool games, so she has an iPhone.

Variety is a good thing.

Indeed it is, but this is an Apple fan site. In fact a lot of people here are happy in the ghetto, because they are used to it ( hence the Apple does not care about market share mantra). The fact is that Apple nearly died in the past, and software was hard to get for OS X. I don't see that happening now, though, so all is well.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #155 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Indeed it is, but this is an Apple fan site. In fact a lot of people here are happy in the ghetto, because they are used to it ( hence the Apple does not care about market share mantra). The fact is that Apple nearly died in the past, and software was hard to get for OS X. I don't see that happening now, though, so all is well.

Still, would be nice to read articles and posts about what is good about Apple products and iOS, not what's bad about Android and why iOS is better. IMO both are good systems, and each cater to a need. I come here to see what's new and interesting in the Apple world, instead it's nothing but negativity and hostility towards everything non-Apple.
post #156 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip;2058135Now think about Android... which will NEVER have this array of accessories. Or do you think it's better [I

not[/I] to have options like this? Is that a cool Android feature?

Android is an OS, don't confuse it with the hardware running it
post #157 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And it has everything to do with the OS-purveyor allowing their OS to run on junk.

Rubbish, most of the people who purchase phones don't even know what OS it runs
post #158 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Rubbish, most of the people who purchase phones don't even know what OS it runs

Yet the entire package is judged by the hardware + User Experience. And SOFTWARE is integral to user experience.
post #159 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Wow, alot of fuss over nothing. I'm wondering, why are you all so militantly against Android? A high level of Android adoption does not prevent you guys from continuing to enjoy your Apple devices. If Apple were to never go above 10% market share (like with PCs), you'd still have your device, your apps, etc... So why does it matter to you what Android's market share is?

Various manufacturers offer Android phones that have features iPhones don't, why is that a problem to Apple? And some Android phones suck, some are great. Just like some PCs suck, and some don't. Doesn't mean Apple's platform is inherently better.

If you left your bubble, you'd see that alot of manufacturers are doing cool things with Android - there's completely waterproof smartphones from Japanese manufacturers, quad core phones, 5" phones/tablets, phones with projectors, etc...

Me personally, I want a device that can replace my desktop PC for most of my daily computing tasks. So I bought an Android device. Lots of people (like my girlfriend), just want a phone that can play a few cool games, so she has an iPhone.

Variety is a good thing.


Well put sir, I also use an Android phone because it's much closer to a normal PC then my old iPhone was. I can actually connect a mouse, keyboard and a monitor to it and use it just like a PC. Filemanger and all, plus with Microsoft Office online and Cloud 9 for app development I actually get work done to. I can't wait for Ubuntu to be released on my Galaxy Note and if it isn't fast enough I'll just upgrade to that new HTC quad core phone to run it.

Nothing against the iPhone because it is a beautiful and well crafted phone. I just love the fact that I can run a desktop OS on my phone, so cool.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #160 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple doesn't cater to the lowest common denominator

I think you mean highest common factor and not lowest common denominator.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google: Android has 450K apps, 850K devices activated daily