or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: a Preview of how Apple is enhancing the file system with iCloud
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: a Preview of how Apple is enhancing the file system with iCloud - Page 2

post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

iDisk.

They're designing something better, as the article is stating.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #42 of 53
It seems Apple won't admit Preview is currently broken with autosave+versions. They're really determined to force us into autosave+versions. I'll have to choose between not upgrading to ML or replacing all Apple apps with third-party apps that respect the user workflow.
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

respect the user workflow.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #44 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

iDisk.

iCloud doesn't include iDisk but it really shouldn't. iDisk has always been crap. There are much better solutions in every way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

It seems Apple won't admit Preview is currently broken with autosave+versions. They're really determined to force us into autosave+versions. I'll have to choose between not upgrading to ML or replacing all Apple apps with third-party apps that respect the user workflow.

You can turn Autosave off.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #45 of 53
My only beef with this is how all associated data is deleted when you remove an app from an iOS device. For example if I have a large game installed that I'd like to remove to make room for something else I will also lose my save data. While I assume this won't happen with documents, I would like to have some kind of "management system" for this type of data.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #46 of 53
What iCloud ignores completely is what MobileMe did very well. That is, if you do NOT want everything synced with your iDevices, but do want to host photos or videos you select in an online Gallery that is both ad free and without privacy issues.

OK, MobileMe offered a lousy email address (I mean, who's egotistical enough to want to tell people their email is at ME.com?) but overall, it worked well particularly for those who had work computers for work and home computers for home, used Time Machine for versions and maybe CCC or SD for cloned backups without having to place confidential company information in the Cloud. In the office everything's stored on a server anyway. I have no photos or music at work, and no work files at home. iCloud doesn't understand how people work these days, it's just a Microsoftesque knee-jerk reaction to services like Dropbox.

For me, it doesn't work, and I won't be upgrading my MobileMe to iCloud in June. I also won't be upgrading Snow Leopard to Lion or to Mountain Lion, which probably means I won't be able to buy an iPad 3 or an iPhone 5 either.

Apple should learn something here - you can't turn a niche market into a mainstream one because the variation in the needs of the participants increases as you increases the niche size. At some point, cutting off individualism and imposing "The Apple Way" will stop working, and while demand will remain, Apple won't be meeting it all effectively.

As an example, I already have not bought an iMac because they don't come with non-glossy screens. I bought a Mac mini server and converted it to desktop use instead. Same with iCloud. It doesn't want to work with me.
post #47 of 53
A tremendous irony: Though OpenDoc was disposed of as a technology, witness how its concept has prominently returned in iBook textbooks, as a compound document type, containing text, graphics,
sound, and video just as OpenDoc intended!
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

Apple should learn something here - you can't turn a niche market into a mainstream one because the variation in the needs of the participants increases as you increases the niche size. At some point, cutting off individualism and imposing "The Apple Way" will stop working, and while demand will remain, Apple won't be meeting it all effectively.

You are obviously in a minority. I don't think Tim Cook is going to read your post and say, "Thanks for the lesson. Between making bajillions of Macs and iOS devices we never thought of your points."
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

that's where you are wrong buddy, iCloud saves the files on the cloud as well as on the registered device.
i like the way where it is going right now.

I'd RATHER the Cloud part be an option -- where I could select a folder and say "sync with X machines" I had in my share group (might require login, or a keychained group access login). Then all the files would be stored and synced on multiple machines. The CLOUD would only be temporary storage and used to arbitrate different files (in some extent -- this IS Apple's setup as I understand it).

The OTHER option would be that files ALSO get stored on the cloud as a backup.

As long as I can get to my files everywhere -- I don't care. But I don't think Apple can store a Terabyte of data for me in an economical fashion (which is how much I need access to).


>> The IDEAL for access and convenience, is the cloud is AWARE of other files in other locations I want it to be aware of, and it always has two copies of files. Maybe 10 Gig is in the cloud of recent files, and then it would retrieve any files that I made "available" to iCloud -- copying them off the remote devices if they are connected to the web.

I have to agree that in a BUSINESS situation -- dropBox is superior because you have rights, multi-users, and you can set who sees what folders - as well as version control based on user -- not just snapshots of previous versions.

iCloud is really, really great for the consumer, and definitely fine for the individual business person. But in a sharing environment -- it has some holes.
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

What iCloud ignores completely is what MobileMe did very well. That is, if you do NOT want everything synced with your iDevices, but do want to host photos or videos you select in an online Gallery that is both ad free and without privacy issues.

OK, MobileMe offered a lousy email address (I mean, who's egotistical enough to want to tell people their email is at ME.com?) but overall, it worked well particularly for those who had work computers for work and home computers for home, used Time Machine for versions and maybe CCC or SD for cloned backups without having to place confidential company information in the Cloud. In the office everything's stored on a server anyway. I have no photos or music at work, and no work files at home. iCloud doesn't understand how people work these days, it's just a Microsoftesque knee-jerk reaction to services like Dropbox.

For me, it doesn't work, and I won't be upgrading my MobileMe to iCloud in June. I also won't be upgrading Snow Leopard to Lion or to Mountain Lion, which probably means I won't be able to buy an iPad 3 or an iPhone 5 either.

Apple should learn something here - you can't turn a niche market into a mainstream one because the variation in the needs of the participants increases as you increases the niche size. At some point, cutting off individualism and imposing "The Apple Way" will stop working, and while demand will remain, Apple won't be meeting it all effectively.

As an example, I already have not bought an iMac because they don't come with non-glossy screens. I bought a Mac mini server and converted it to desktop use instead. Same with iCloud. It doesn't want to work with me.

Good points.

It seems that initially, iCloud is going to have the same growing pains as FaceBook. You don't want the family seeing the same things as friends, and definitely NOT sharing this with Business viewers, right?

iCloud needs to discriminate - I haven't installed Lion yet so I'm not sure if there are ways to tweak it. I've used Lion on other machines, but I can't stand the LACK of control of the find file, and for some reason I cannot sort in the finder. There are other basic details that I use constantly, that are strangely missing from Lion.

So I'm waiting for Snow Lion -- I mean Mountain Lion, because it's probably the REAL Lion just like Snow Leopard was the real Leopard. I can't wait for Cougar, but that probably got ditched because of all the double entendrés -- in my book, you SHOULD encourage product names for the double entendrés -- the giggle factor is free advertising.
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You can turn Autosave off.

Can you please tell me how can I turn autosave off in Preview? (I'm on Lion 10.7.3)
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Can you please tell me how can I turn autosave off in Preview? (I'm on Lion 10.7.3)

Mea culpa. The video that shows it has been updated to state this does not disable Auto Save.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #53 of 53
Having two separate and incompatible file systems in tandem is awful. And lazy!

The ability to organise together files by what they are about, rather than their creator app or data type, is critical for getting organised. Access permissions also make more sense on these terms too - i.e. your app can read my college notes but not my banking info.

There are many features that apply to files in OSX's file system that are absent in iCloud, so existing functionality in which users have a great investment of time and data are lost in iCloud.

I hope that Apple will gain greater exposure to business with OSX so that, perhaps in ten years time, Apple will understand what is important for getting organised and getting things done using a computer, whether for business or in life.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
  • Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: a Preview of how Apple is enhancing the file system with iCloud
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: a Preview of how Apple is enhancing the file system with iCloud