or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Mail app continuing issue

Mail app continuing issue

post #1 of 3
I have been using other email clients for a while now because Mail in OSX 10.7 and the last few releases has not been working as it should. Problem is when trying got just send a simple email. Mail hangs (in sending mode) for a very long time and never seems to connect to the out going smtp server, if at all. My other email clients, (Thunderbird, Postbox) work fine. They send the email almost instantaneously. Connect to the smtp outgoing server fine.

Everything is set up in Mail the same! But yet Mail just still doest work properly. I have deleted prefs and accounts and rest everything, but it has yet to fix the weird issue. The only thing Ive concluded when this started happening was when I moved to a new place and set up a new internet provider. The previous place I was living was using Comcast (Mail app worked as it should) now I use Centurylink (Qwest) DSL. Has anyone had a similar issue with Mail app hanging when trying to send?
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

I have been using other email clients for a while now because Mail in OSX 10.7 and the last few releases has not been working as it should. Problem is when trying got just send a simple email. Mail hangs (in sending mode) for a very long time and never seems to connect to the out going smtp server, if at all. My other email clients, (Thunderbird, Postbox) work fine. They send the email almost instantaneously. Connect to the smtp outgoing server fine.

Everything is set up in Mail the same! But yet Mail just still doest work properly. I have deleted prefs and accounts and rest everything, but it has yet to fix the weird issue. The only thing Ive concluded when this started happening was when I moved to a new place and set up a new internet provider. The previous place I was living was using Comcast (Mail app worked as it should) now I use Centurylink (Qwest) DSL. Has anyone had a similar issue with Mail app hanging when trying to send?

This is an interesting one, could be just Mail being weird, could be something with the emails (large distros look like spam), depending on the email address you are using it could be the outgoing port that Mail is using for the SMTP server.

Please send me your account information (address, account number, contact number, email address having issues) and if you can verify in Mail's advanced settings what Port it is set too. You can send it by email TalkToUs@Centurylink.com or through our Facebook secure web form: http://t.co/6iTOazCy

Thanks,
Rich
Centurylink Help Team
post #3 of 3
I finally figured out the problem!!!!

It was in the Mail apps prefs advanced tab section. The port number that was being used 9XX or whatever, and not port 25. That's what has been causing my sending problem! I changed it to 25 and BAM! Test email sent instantaneously!

Happy day!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Mail app continuing issue