or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Purported 'iPad 3' rear panel measures 0.81mm thicker than iPad 2

Purported 'iPad 3' rear panel measures 0.81mm thicker than iPad 2

post #1 of 75
Supporting rumors that Apple's next iPad will be slightly thicker than the current iPad 2, a measurement of a leaked alleged "iPad 3" component has found it to be less than one millimeter thicker than its predecessor.

The purported iPad 3 component was measured with a digital vernier caliper, showing that it is 9.50mm thick. That's 0.81mm thicker than the rear panel for the iPad 2, which measures 8.69mm, according to an image discovered by Apple.pro.

The measurements support claims from early December that Apple's third-generation iPad will have the same 9.7-inch screen size as the iPad 2, but will be slightly thicker. That same report stated that the new iPad would continue to support the existing magnetic Smart Cover compatible with the iPad 2.

A slightly thicker iPad body would allow Apple to fit more inside the shell of the device, such as a larger battery for better performance, and more powerful components to power an anticipated high-resolution Retina Display. One report from last November said that Apple was likely to use dual-LED light bars in its next iPad in order to maintain the existing level of brightness with a higher density of pixels on the screen.

Purported iPad 3 rear panel components have been publicized on the Internet for weeks now, but Tuesday's report is the first exact measurement of such a component. Earlier pictures showed that the rear panel will have a slightly more tapered design, and will also accommodate a larger rear-facing camera lens than the iPad 2.

In addition to the Retina Display and a larger camera, the next iPad is also expected to feature a faster internal processor, as well as the option of compatibility with high-speed 4G LTE networks. A media event to unveil the new iPad will be held next Wednesday, March 7 in San Francisco, Calif.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 75
.81mm is not so bad. I am more curious about the weight.
post #3 of 75
I could have lived with 0.8mm thicker, but that extra 1/100th of a millimeter is a deal-breaker for me. I'll wait for iPad 4.
post #4 of 75
So does this tell us anything about the additional power draw in relation to an assumed increase in battery size or is this what is needed for the thicker display panel?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Case makers are rejoicing! Cable makers too! Dock connected accessories of all kinds will be sold for the third time to the same customers!
post #6 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I could have lived with 0.8mm thicker, but that extra 1/100th of a millimeter is a deal-breaker for me. I'll wait for iPad 4.

Good one. I'm sure that will be one reason given by the Android fans it will fail.

At least the same cases will work by the sounds of it assuming holes are all in the right place. Talking of case openings ... I wonder if they might add a stereo sound out put i.e. two wee speakers, one either end ... small issue I know but it would be nice in some situations like camping in a small tent ... not that I'd be using it for that
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #7 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Case makers are rejoicing! Cable makers too! Dock connected accessories of all kinds will be sold for the third time to the same customers!

apple doom

btw 95 is 8.1 mm thicker than 86.9. Damn those are think ipad 2 and 3's
post #8 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Hahaha.

"A slightly thicker iPad body would allow Apple to fit more inside the shell of the device, such as a larger battery for better performance, and more powerful components to power an anticipated high-resolution Retina Display. One report from last November said that Apple was likely to use dual-LED light bars in its next iPad in order to maintain the existing level of brightness with a higher density of pixels on the screen."

While I won't deny that .81 mm makes for more space than nothing, it's quite a stretch to go from the purported discovery that it's that much thicker to that statement. That's small enough to be the new casing thickness over the same spaced innards. Not that we don't already assume this model isn't faster and better than the 2, but you can't draw any such statements from a thickness leap of .81mm.
post #9 of 75
Quote:

Same here. I'm always surprised that the weight of iPads doesn't come up more than it does. I'm a healthy mid sized male and I consider its weight a noticeable thing.
post #10 of 75
Hmmm - 25.4mm + 1". That would make the new Ipad 3 3/4" thick.
post #11 of 75
I still don't buy it. It could have been a prototype.
post #12 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I still don't buy it. It could have been a prototype.

• Thicker
  • Heavier
  • Less Battery life
  • Lower framerates for games
  • ...and it costs $80 more.

post #13 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Same here. I'm always surprised that the weight of iPads doesn't come up more than it does. I'm a healthy mid sized male and I consider its weight a noticeable thing.

In what way? No, really, I'm interested.
post #14 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

• Thicker
  • Heavier
  • Less Battery life

Given all of those negatives, I bet USED iPad2 models will be sold at a premium when the existing stock runs out.

Here's my plan:

1) Log on to eBay.
2) Stock up on "clearance priced" iPad2s
3) Wait a month
4) Profit!
post #15 of 75
I'm one of the unusual people then that is slightly irked by this. However as all of you said I may not notice when I actually hold one. I'd sacrifice some battery life to keep the same thinness as the previous generation, but hopefully not too much. I wonder if it was the camera optics and not battery that made it thicker?

Well, I guess it is not confirmed as thicker just yet...
post #16 of 75
What's with the decimal points in the picture?

Should be 8.69 and 9.50. Am I being pedantic? Again?
post #17 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Given all of those negatives, I bet USED iPad2 models will be sold at a premium when the existing stock runs out.

Here's my plan:

1) Log on to eBay.
2) Stock up on "clearance priced" iPad2s
3) Wait a month
4) Profit!

I'm betting every iPad 3 will be sold out for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

I'm one of the unusual people then that is slightly irked by this. However as all of you said I may not notice when I actually hold one. I'd sacrifice some battery life to keep the same thinness as the previous generation, but hopefully not too much. I wonder if it was the camera optics and not battery that made it thicker?

Would you sacrifice the HiDPI display? I want both the same or better battery life and the HiDPI display? A little thickness and wight is better than having to charge it more often. If the battery life was over 12 hours I would probably even suggest that more than 10 hours would be alight for this first generation with the HiDPI display but at 10 hours I think that is about the minimum for a modern tablet.

post #18 of 75
Quote:

Me thinks the units be wrong, 95mm - 86.9mm != 0.81mm

how about 8.1mm thicker
post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFar View Post

how about 8.1mm thicker

Your math is wrong. 95mm is 3.7" thick. They are saying it's 9.50mm thick which is 0.81mm thicker than the current iPad at 8.69mm (though Apple lists 8.80mm).

post #20 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

• Thicker
  • Heavier
  • Less Battery life

This is what will cause me to wait and see. The $80 is no big deal, I will make that up easily with the sale of my iPad 1, the rest does concern me though but I just cannot see Apple releasing something that does not exceed its predecessor on all levels or at least be the same, outside price.
post #21 of 75
Quote:

how about 8.1mm thicker

The 95 and 86 are wrong. It is 9.5 and 8.69...

Edit: I went too soon. 95mm is like 3.7 inches or phone book size.
post #22 of 75
post #23 of 75
The rumor about the ipad3 costing more are sounding correct...with the bigger battery and 8 mega pixel camera this is very likely I mean an iphone without a contract is about 700 dollars and ipad3 is about the equivalent..
post #24 of 75
I would rather it be usable in temperatures below 0'C.

I think most people would just slap on a 15mm thick jacket and not benefit from this thinness. Unless you're making it as thin as paper, there's no point in these gimmicks.
post #25 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The 95 and 86 are wrong. It is 9.5 and 8.69...

Edit: I went too soon. 95mm is like 3.7 inches or phone book size.

What's a phone book?

I suspect that my teenager has never opened a phone book.
post #26 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

What's with the decimal points in the picture?

Should be 8.69 and 9.50. Am I being pedantic? Again?

Calm down my friend. lots of people don't understand mm.
post #27 of 75
I'm skeptical this is a legitimate part, the image apple sent out today had a black border, not a silver one
post #28 of 75
Quote:

Not necessarily. The edge of the supposed new iPad tapers in further, this may have been a result of needing to make the device the same thickness at the same distance from the edge, so that it could be a little thicker overall, but still fit in a thinner dock connector. This would also place connectors at the exact same position/location, so that they could also fit into older iPad docks.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #29 of 75
Guys, please, we did this with the white iPhone...
post #30 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Well, I guess it is not confirmed as thicker just yet...

Do you have any idea how insignificant 0.8mm is? My God. It's a damn certainty Apple did everything in its power to make it as thin as possible considering the technology insider. Its its microscopically thicker, that means it needs to be.
post #31 of 75
Quote:

how about 8.1mm thicker

Yeah, the dimensions are way off. 95mm = 9.5cm, which is equivalent to over 3.5 inches!!! That would be a very thick iPad! My 27" iMac isn't even that thick! Whoever made up the images just put the decimal in the wrong place.
post #32 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good one. I'm sure that will be one reason given by the Android fans it will fail.

the only fail that we know of, here, is some people's failure to detect sarcasm in malax's post.

that aside, i'm keen to see whether the iPad 3 is worth the purchase. i skipped the previous two iterations because, for me, there hasn't been compelling reasons to get a tablet device. Apple products are nice; my current iPhone 3GS has proven to be quite useful
post #33 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

LOL! Exactly.
post #34 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

the only fail that we know of, here, is some people's failure to detect sarcasm in malax's post.

Who on earth didn't get the humor/sarcasm? Pretty obvious I thought, hence my compliment for the joke.
post #35 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch1 View Post

Calm down my friend. lots of people don't understand mm.

Well, thank you.

I was concerned that I was just pointing out something that was screamingly obvious to everyone, but I see I needn't have worried.

For all the metrically challenged out there, a Starbucks stirring stick is 6mm wide. A pencil is 7mm in diameter.
post #36 of 75
Lol, someone can't read a digital caliper or indeed, use their brain.

95mm would be 9.5cm thick.

9.5mm is more like it.

However, I still have the iPad so the thickness of the iPad 3 won't be an issue.
post #37 of 75
Quote:

how about 8.1mm thicker

Unless.... the picture _is_ correct and they're actually measuring a 100-inch AppleTV!!!!

/jk
post #38 of 75
I wonder how much the magnets inside the iPad weighs? If they don't weigh much, then it's not a big deal, but if they did weigh a bit, then they should make a model for people like me, a model without the magnets. There are many people who do not give a shit about any cases or screen covers. And if you don't give a shit about any cases or covers, then you certainly don't give a shit about any magnets.

As for the thickness of the iPad 3, who cares about .81 mm? I bet that those who claim to care would not even be able to tell the difference between the iPad 2 and iPad 3, as it really is a tiny, tiny difference.

And I also bet that Samsung will release some sort of shitty Android tablet a few months after the iPad 3 and they'll claim that it's 0.00201 mm thinner! Even if it has a bulge on the back like some of their phones, they'll still lie and claim that it's thinner.
post #39 of 75
post #40 of 75
Quote:

At less than 1mm extra thIckness I am guessing most cases will fit without modification. In fact I am sure. 1mm = 0.03937 inches. You'll feel the difference holding it but it's not a deal breaker. I use the iPad 1 so if the 3 is close to the 2 in weight I'm happy. A small amount of variance is easily offset by New and Improved specs. But minimal weight and thickness, and maximum battery life are fundamental to the iPad experience so we need not worry about too great backward steps.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Purported 'iPad 3' rear panel measures 0.81mm thicker than iPad 2