or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple said to be considering a 14-inch MacBook Air for Asian markets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple said to be considering a 14-inch MacBook Air for Asian markets

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
A new rumor claims Apple is weighing the prospect of a new 14-inch MacBook Air model designed specifically to cater to the Asian PC market.

Mass production of the 14-inch thin-and-light notebook may , DigiTimes reported on Wednesday. Apple is said to be considering the 14-inch screen size for the notebook because it is a popular form factor unique to the region.

Currently, the MacBook Air is only available in screen sizes of 11.6 inches and 13.3 inches. There have been rumors that Apple is planning to launch a new 15-inch model of the MacBook Air at some point this year, expanding its ultraportable lineup to a larger screen size.

But while Western countries prefer the 15-inch screen size, in the Asia market, 14-inch notebooks account for as much as 40 percent of sales. It's because of the market's "fondness for 14-inch models" that Apple is said to be considering a screen size specifically for that region.

"The sources analyzed that Apple is currently turning its targets from North American and Europe to Asia, and is eyeing the China market as its major market since the company still has strong potential in the country," the report reads. "The consideration of a 14-inch MacBook Air would be an indication the company will become even more aggressive about the China market."


An illustration of Apple's notebook lineup planned for the 2012 calendar year.


With Apple expected to dramatically redesign its high-end MacBook Pro lineup this year, there has been some question as to whether a new thin-and-light 15-inch notebook would be an "Air" or a "Pro" notebook. Earlier this month, AppleInsider quoted a person familiar with Apple's new MacBook Pro designs who indicated: "They're all going to look like MacBook Airs."

Apple's next generation of notebooks are expected to be powered by Intel's Ivy Bridge processors. This week, an official from the chipmaker stated that the CPUs have been delayed, and will go on sale eight to 10 weeks later than originally planned, likely in June.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 41
Considering, lol.

So if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, remember we only said "considering".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Considering, lol.

So if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, remember we only said "considering".

Companies consider many things that never see the light of day. Rumors have it that Apple did have a 15" AIR sometime ago, but for various rumored reasons canned it.

In any event Apple has a history of catering to specific markets when it suits their goals.

As an aside I wonder why they wouldn't consider such a machine for the US market. While only an inch that bigger screen could be very valuable for those that find the 13" screen just to small. More so it might free up space for another blade storage module. An inch goes a very long way in these Ultra books.
post #4 of 41
Not going to happen, Apple will not fragment the market.

A lot of their profit comes from buying millions of the same part at a knock down price.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #5 of 41
Color me skeptical. They don't have a history of designing products based on surveys.
post #6 of 41
On this category, mobility is paramount. Just bring the 400 to 600 g MacBook Air. Ideal for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket or purse. Always. For heavy work, just get a MacBook Pro.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Not going to happen, Apple will not fragment the market.

A lot of their profit comes from buying millions of the same part at a knock down price.

Agreed. The best thing Steve did was to simplify the product line. There's no imaginable reason to sell a 13 inch laptop in one country and a 14 inch in another. Or two that are so close in size in the same country for that matter.
post #8 of 41
A rumor about 15" or 17" iPad would be more exciting. I am still convinced the is a market for a larger iPad. A desk version if you will.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #9 of 41
14 is an unlucky number in Chinese. Doubt this will be popular
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

14 is an unlucky number in Chinese. Doubt this will be popular

Do they still bother with inches in China?

I thought that the US, Liberia, and Myanmar were the only countries left in the world stuck with this piece of atavism?
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

14 is an unlucky number in Chinese. Doubt this will be popular

13 is in US, but MBA 13" seems to be selling pretty well in US.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Not going to happen, Apple will not fragment the market.

A lot of their profit comes from buying millions of the same part at a knock down price.

I'm sure that 13 and 15 have loyal fans. Would consolidation to a 14 make any sense? That would more than avoid fragmentation...
"I am jealous of everything whose beauty does not die."
-- Oscar Wilde
Reply
"I am jealous of everything whose beauty does not die."
-- Oscar Wilde
Reply
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event Apple has a history of catering to specific markets when it suits their goals.

Examples?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but for the life of me I can't remember Apple doing specific products for a geographical area.

I distinctly remember reading that the "iPhone was doomed!(TM)" in Japan, for example, because it was different that other Japanese cell phones at that time. (How did that work out, BTW?)

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do they still bother with inches in China?

I thought that the US, Liberia, and Myanmar were the only countries left in the world stuck with this piece of atavism?

Curiously, Apple markets their models in inches, regardless of the destination.

While the dimensions in the tech specs will definitely be quoted in metric measurements, the same of the model still refers to the inch measurement. A 13" MacBook does not become a 33 cm. MacBook elsewhere.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

DigiTimes

Come on, AppleInsider. Get it together. These guys lie through their teeth. They're no better than macosrumors. Stop posting stories from them.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #16 of 41
One thing that's pretty clear - Apple will have larger computers than the current MBA which take some design cues (lighter, thinner) from the MBA. Whether they'll actually be MBAs or what their specs look like is anyone's guess - but Digitimes is the LEAST likely source to have the answer.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Not going to happen, Apple will not fragment the market.

A lot of their profit comes from buying millions of the same part at a knock down price.

Yes. And the potential to sell MILLIONS to an overly eager Chinese/Asian market, means, guess what? They can buy millions of the same 14" screen part at a knock down price.

Your own argument invalidates your point.
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come on, AppleInsider. Get it together. These guys lie through their teeth. They're no better than macosrumors. Stop posting stories from them.

Really? Because I watch Apple rumors since 2003, and Digi Times has been proven right many times.

(And some times it's not even that a rumor site was wrong, it's that Apple decided to change course).
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Agreed. The best thing Steve did was to simplify the product line. There's no imaginable reason to sell a 13 inch laptop in one country and a 14 inch in another

There IS a reason, if the country has 1.3 BILLION consumers -- and lots of them are forming long lines for your iPhone and such already...
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

There IS a reason, if the country has 1.3 BILLION consumers -- and lots of them are forming long lines for your iPhone and such already...

And that means what? There's absolutely no sense in a single inch increase. There is no sense in selling a 13", 14", and 15" computer at the same time.

Apple doesn't cover every fringe case. Apple doesn't cater to people on the edges.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #21 of 41
I said a while ago that I thought Apple might go with new sizes for the new MB range:

12" & 14" MBA
16" & 18" MBP

If they eliminate the border around the screen and go with an edge to edge screen instead they should be able to increase the screen size without increasing the overall footprint of the machines.
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come on, AppleInsider. Get it together. These guys [Digitimes] lie through their teeth. They're no better than macosrumors. Stop posting stories from them.

I'd love for someone to analyse how often various sources get their Apple predictions right. Digitimes would surely be bottom of the pile by quite some distance.
post #23 of 41
It is because 13" is too small and 15" is too big for Asian market.

That is why 14" are the best sellers.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

It is because 13" is too small and 15" is too big for Asian market.

That is why 14" are the best sellers.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event Apple has a history of catering to specific markets when it suits their goals.

For example ???



Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Curiously, Apple markets their models in inches, regardless of the destination...

Because they are "Designed in California", where inches rule the day.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #26 of 41
Regardless of the weight and exterior dimensions, if Apple's newer notebooks have optical media reader/writers and/or an HDD, they will not be Airs.

Also, although Apple's known for dragging customers into the future, I can't even guess how they'll satisfy the needs of Pro notebook users without charging an arm and a leg for SSDs.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #27 of 41
Oooh! Then we can send over a bunch of folks to smuggle them back into the U.S.! I'm sure a "rare" 14" MB would fetch a nice premium.
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

14 is an unlucky number in Chinese. Doubt this will be popular

Apple will just use a different scale. Instead of 14 inches, they'll call it... 2.5 centihectares or whatever units they use in the not-USA.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Not going to happen, Apple will not fragment the market.

A lot of their profit comes from buying millions of the same part at a knock down price.

So then, why not a 14 inch and can the 13 AND 15 inch idea? One size fits three.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Curiously, Apple markets their models in inches, regardless of the destination.

While the dimensions in the tech specs will definitely be quoted in metric measurements, the same of the model still refers to the inch measurement. A 13" MacBook does not become a 33 cm. MacBook elsewhere.

They don't use "cm" in California. End of mystery.
Nothing surprising. Apple still quotes Intel processor specs by Ghz, not by Intel's abstract model number system (i5-2400), which is meant to obfuscate clock speed.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #31 of 41
NZ uses the metric system religiously, but when it comes to monitor size, we always, and I mean always, use inches for some reason. I couldn't imagine ever calling my 40" TV a 101.6cm
post #32 of 41
We (Americans) have been spoiled by the fact that so many tech companies began here and catered to our every whim in order to become successful in the first place. But things are changing. China, India and others are going to be HUGE for Apple. Beyond huge. I can definitely see Apple creating specific products that cater to markets that big. How could they NOT?
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Really? Because I watch Apple rumors since 2003, and Digi Times has been proven right many times.

(And some times it's not even that a rumor site was wrong, it's that Apple decided to change course).

I've been covering Apple since 1996. The Onion is more accurate than Digitimes.
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

14 is an unlucky number in Chinese. Doubt this will be popular

Oh Noes!

post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Considering, lol.

So if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, remember we only said "considering".

Kinda ridiculous, isn't it. The "14-inch MacBook Air" is the 15" redesigned MacBook Pro.
post #36 of 41
I'm old enough to remember the old stereotype that Asians had weak eyes. I would think that Apple would make a bigger size for them. lol
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

I'm old enough to remember the old stereotype that Asians had weak eyes. I would think that Apple would make a bigger size for them. lol

What's weird is that 8 months ago everyone was talking about 10" MacBook Airs being the thing that all of Asia wants.
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


There is a reason why Microsoft develop another set of controller for asian market.

And because size is a relative thing, a person who is 6 foot tall will likely have a very different perceptive to what is big compare to a person who is only 5 and half foot tall.

There is also the culture difference. It case you dont realize, House or Flat in Asian market are MUCH smaller then American counterpart.

So to me, 12 and 14 inch MBA and 16 / 18 inch MBP sounds like a Great Idea.
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

So to me, 12 and 14 inch MBA and 16 / 18 inch MBP sounds like a Great Idea.

So you're saying to make the ratio between computer size and human size LARGER? Why?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

What's weird is that 8 months ago everyone was talking about 10" MacBook Airs being the thing that all of Asia wants.

Those were different times. DigItTimes
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple said to be considering a 14-inch MacBook Air for Asian markets