post #81 of 81
PS: More evidence supporting my last set of comments immediately above:

Only 80 total posts on the first substantive MacBook story (even if only a rumor) in days? A newer fairly routine iPad story ("20% of non-iPad buyers would consider a $399 entry-level iPad 2") already has 85.

Again, I submit, the day when Apple was exclusively about personal computers as we've known them is 5 years gone, and the days when it's still even mostly about them are few and far between. Despite the growth in Mac sales, it's incredible that something like 2/3 of AAPL revenue comes from sources that didn't exist 5 years ago!

And if Apple wants to keep defeating the "law of large numbers," and keep growing at something like its recent pace, it has to stay fresh and has a history of not being afraid to kill still successful products and product features in the focused pursuit of that goal.

The guard has changed, and so has Apple's focus on its truck division - eventually it will see consumer-facing "computers" primarily as supportive of and providing an extension of its ecosystem, i.e., personal computers will be just another node on that system, not its hub or core in any way shape or form.

And phones, tablets, ATV's, iPods and devices yet to come will be other nodes. And the core will be the ubiquitous connectivity and syncing between nodes that will let you pick up nearly any content or capability from nearly any node, even though some will best be handled by one node or other, e.g., Macs will be better high-power video editors, and phones will be better, d'ohh, mobile phones. But much will be available on all.

And over time, only people who need a truck will buy trucks when millions more discover that (especially as phones and tablets mature) what they really wanted were fast, sexy little cars in the first place. So those who care about pro features in notebooks better hope there are really enough dedicated truckers to keep Apple interested in investing in evolving the division.

Jobs' name change from Apple Computer to Apple, Inc. was totally prophetic, and when Cook said recently that the Cloud was central to Apple's strategic direction over the next several years, he was neither kidding or exaggerating.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.