or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MWC names Galaxy S II best smartphone, iPad 2 best tablet

MWC names Galaxy S II best smartphone, iPad 2 best tablet - Page 3

post #81 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I have a Samgung Galaxy Nexus... It is a good phone. Better than the iPhone 4S is some way and not as good in others. I know this is a pro Apple site, but Samsung does make good phones and the Android phones are completely different than the iPhone....

To say that Samsung copied the iPhone is to show you ignorance.... Apples and Oranges.... (Pun intended)

To be fair Samsung is an apple copycat in a lot of ways. Hence why I abhor touchwhiz and especially v1 with the galaxy S.

But they are great hardware makers. Could be better

I do place HTC above them and I like where they're going with their One series.
post #82 of 159
I was stuck at AT&T waiting for some customer service, and had a chance to try out their selection of Android phones. I was a little surprised by how cheap they all seemed. Especially, the Galaxy S II. Sure it has a bigger screen, but it just seems clunky, the resolution suffers, and the size seems to make it awkwardly proportioned. The size seems as exciting as "A PEN!!!". It is just another poorly thought out feature to look good on the spec sheet for the clueless geeks.

It always seems absurd to see these Android idiots proudly walking around with their phones as if no one notices it is a cheap, plastic, pieces of junk, cluttered with logos and buttons, with a an interface with too much crap everywhere. There is the search for search button, because no one can find search, there is the weather widget because geeks obviously don't get out much (look out the window or get an iPhone and just ask Siri if you need local weather)
post #83 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

His issue was with the 25% number, hypothesizing that what the original poster said is untrue and even suggesting its a made up number.

You are talking about something completely different.

Lets stick with the issue at hand people. He raised an issue I called him out. Done deal.

This was the conversation

I asked a very simple question about a stupidly made comment. "iPhone is 25% Samsung." says nothing about what is being measured. If a poster isn't willing to qualify or in any way back up a statement is not possible they did pull it out their ass.

Perhaps English isn't your first language but you didn't me out on anything. I never claimed not implied that he did pull it out his ass unless you want to claim I also implied he used the price of volume, weight or component prices to come to his conclusion. Funny how you failed to note those.

But moving along to the graph you posted... since when is iSuppli's comically limited breakdown and pricing of products of any authority?

Even if we pretend that everything listed is accurate and everything listed are the only things that are cost centers in dealing with products why would you assume that 25.66% are Samsung products. How to do you jump to say that the entirety of the A5 PoP/SoC is Samsung's IP when Apple and others beside Samsung are clearly involved with its design? Apple hires Samsung to put together their PoP/SoC by taking various components and putting them together. They are intermediaries for the A5 chip. They are the Foxconn of SoCs.

Why do you conveniently ignore Elpida? Hitachi? Both are companies that involved in Apple's A* SoC and NAND. Did you really think that Samsung was the only vendor Apple uses because they are contracted to manufacture the A5?

Sent from my Foxconn iPhone.

PS: Next time try to actually answer my questions about what is being measured and I won't end up looking like such an idiot.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #84 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Another one with broken logic, support is pre profit and paid for with Apple care. Accessories and developers don't come from Apples profit.

It's the ecosystem, success breeds success, Apple product accessory makers and developers are also making profits.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #85 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Replied to from my employers Foxconn Dell
post #86 of 159
"Samsung is the Foxconn of SoCs."

LMAO I didn't know Austin was a part of China now.
post #87 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/08/sam...phone-4-parts/

25.66% to be more exact

What now Solip? Would that be considered an "ass pulling" to you?

Dont be too dismissive of anything thrown against you.

Is this serious? You want to tell us Apple pays $26 for 16 GB Flash? When you can buy Retail packed Flash Class 10 for less than $20 at Amazon, you think the largest buyer of Flash in the world, who buys chips direct and integrates them pays $26? And you think 512MB RAM is worth $11? That too RAM that is directly integrated on-chip? Do you even realize if you bought 4GB RAM at $11 for 512MB, your cost of RAM for a normal computer would be $88?

That being said, $8 for the Applications processor feels too low.
post #88 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Is this serious? You want to tell us Apple pays $26 for 16 GB Flash?

Note that this is an iPhone 4 breakdown and from 2011.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #89 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I don't like Samsung phones.

Surely you know I prefer my iPhone HW, OS, ecosystem and support other other vendors but I have to give credit where it's due...

I like Samsung's phones. They are doing a lot of interesting things and their build quality, fit and finish seem better than other Android-based vendors. Even their Bada OS is pretty damn refined for its age and has a lot of potential.

I couldn't care less about their business tactics. They aren't doing anything that pollutes a river or destroys a village for all I know some IP stealing is pretty tame. They are taking a risk and it seems to be paying off, More power to them.

post #90 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Is this serious? You want to tell us Apple pays $26 for 16 GB Flash? When you can buy Retail packed Flash Class 10 for less than $10 at Amazon, you think the largest buyer of Flash in the world, who buys chips direct and integrates them pays $26?

In all fairness Apple's on-board NAND flash would be rated at Class 20±2. I don't know how the speed difference or being a raw component changes things but I think for 2010 prices it might not be too far off.

post #91 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Public flogging for a vowel ...instead of for a lack of vow, ...how is that for a proof of content. One can't go farther downhill when one as hit rock bottom from the start ...right...?

Man you busted through that rock bottom like it wasn't even there lol. No flogging here, I just thought you went a little overboard with your tirade.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #92 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune View Post

"Samsung is the Foxconn of SoCs."

LMAO I didn't know Austin was a part of China now.

Foxconn has an Austin operation too...

http://www.foxconn.com/WorldLayout.html
post #93 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelus View Post

I was stuck at AT&T waiting for some customer service, and had a chance to try out their selection of Android phones. I was a little surprised by how cheap they all seemed. Especially, the Galaxy S II. Sure it has a bigger screen, but it just seems clunky, the resolution suffers, and the size seems to make it awkwardly proportioned. The size seems as exciting as "A PEN!!!". It is just another poorly thought out feature to look good on the spec sheet for the clueless geeks.

It always seems absurd to see these Android idiots proudly walking around with their phones as if no one notices it is a cheap, plastic, pieces of junk, cluttered with logos and buttons, with a an interface with too much crap everywhere. There is the search for search button, because no one can find search, there is the weather widget because geeks obviously don't get out much (look out the window or get an iPhone and just ask Siri if you need local weather)

looking for high-fives by spouting out pools of bullshit?
post #94 of 159
Quote:

I asked a very simple question about a stupidly made comment. "iPhone is 25% Samsung." says nothing about what is being measured. If a poster isn't willing to qualify or in any way back up a statement is not possible they did pull it out their ass.

Perhaps English isn't your first language but you didn't me out on anything. I never claimed not implied that he did pull it out his ass unless you want to claim I also implied he used the price of volume, weight or component prices to come to his conclusion. Funny how you failed to note those.

But moving along to the graph you posted... since when is iSuppli's comically limited breakdown and pricing of products of any authority?

Even if we pretend that everything listed is accurate and everything listed are the only things that are cost centers in dealing with products why would you assume that 25.66% are Samsung products. How to do you jump to say that the entirety of the A5 PoP/SoC is Samsung's IP when Apple and others beside Samsung are clearly involved with its design? Apple hires Samsung to put together their PoP/SoC by taking various components and putting them together. They are intermediaries for the A5 chip. They are the Foxconn of SoCs.

Why do you conveniently ignore Elpida? Hitachi? Both are companies that involved in Apple's A* SoC and NAND. Did you really think that Samsung was the only vendor Apple uses because they are contracted to manufacture the A5?

PS: Next time try to actually answer my questions about what is being measured and I won't end up looking like such an idiot.

Is your name Bernie Madoff and currently serving a 150 yr jail term because your BS sounds almost as good as his.
post #95 of 159
Quote:

Surely you know I prefer my iPhone HW, OS, ecosystem and support other other vendors but I have to give credit where it's due...

I like Samsung's phones. They are doing a lot of interesting things and their build quality, fit and finish seem better than other Android-based vendors. Even their Bada OS is pretty damn refined for its age and has a lot of potential.

I couldn't care less about their business tactics. They aren't doing anything that pollutes a river or destroys a village for all I know some IP stealing is pretty tame. They are taking a risk and it seems to be paying off, More power to them.

I don't like the feel of them...they feel cheap even though they are more durable than most (due to more flexible materials). I also won't fully respect them until they completely drop that iOS TOO interface that is touchwhiz...current version is much better than the initial one by far but it is still iffy (on phones, I personally think their tablets are very different than Apple's and that that lawsuit was BS, though the packaging claims have merit IMO)

I was an HTC fan but lately their billion phones a month approach that look exactly the same has turned me off, I'm waiting to see the full effects of the One approach and I hope it takes off as more vendors may take note and realize that the blitzkrieg stage is over and it's time for a sustained attack.

hell I probably have more complaints for the Android ecosystem than even most Android haters (due to the fact that I actually know WTF I'm talking about) and probably more than I could even drum up for iOS as my only real issue with iOS is that I simply do not like it much...that's it. It bores me...apps are cool, but I don't use many apps as is and I enjoy my customization options.

I like OSX...I like the iPad...I am not a fan of the iPhone....
post #96 of 159
Quote:

looking for high-fives by spouting out pools of bullshit?

Ah, someone is all worked up because someone insulted their phone.

Just some obvious observations, if it where bullshit it probably wouldn't sting so bad.
post #97 of 159
You sound butthurt, don't worry it's just a prize.
post #98 of 159
Worth about as much as Motor Trend Car of the Year.
post #99 of 159
Nah a bit different than that since it is judged by more than 170 independent analysts, journalists, and academics, not just one company.
post #100 of 159
Quote:

Just some obvious observations, if it where bullshit it probably wouldn't sting so bad.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with AD. I highly doubt you picked up a Galaxy S2. If you did, I'm sure you picked it up with your opinion on it already skewed because of your blatant anti Samsung (perhaps Android?) agenda already. You can't pick up a device while waiting in line and make all of those horribly over-exaggerated criticisms in 2 minutes without already having a previous bias. Not only does your opinion differ from most experts, it simply sounded like a 5 year old rattling off stuff he heard his parents say. You seemed to just awkwardly throw together every anti-Android line I've ever heard and expected people to believe your little made up story.
edit: A pen? You're aware that the Galaxy Note has a "smart pen" (or whatever the heck they're calling it), not the S2? Another whole in your story
edit 2: The "uninformed geek" stereotype, huh? I find it interesting how being smart with computers makes one a geek. Alas, people will always be jealous of those that have more than them I suppose; even if it's knowledge..

On the topic of the original story, while I can't say the GS2 isn't the best phone, I feel like it should share the spotlight with the 4S simply because of how it's success was based off the 4S (in terms of packaging, interface, even advertising).
TalkAndroid anyone?
TalkAndroid anyone?
post #101 of 159
Quote:

I don't like the feel of them...they feel cheap even though they are more durable than most (due to more flexible materials).

I don't mind the plastic. It's certainly not in the league of the iPhone but it feels well built compared to others in the Android class. iFixit breakdowns show a well made device. Old like to get my hands on a Bada-based device but first I need to get a Lumia.

post #102 of 159
Quote:

unlike you I don't give a flying fuck if you do not like my phone...I do not go around spreading unsubstantiated BS about another brand simply because they do not align with my interests...

I personally love my phone...I also think the iPhone is the best phone on the market for a majority of the people...which is what matters right?

Your observations are lies...or they were made with some random shitty phones that run the Android OS...

Android isn't as cut an dry as iOS...to make a judgement based on the POS phones is akin to making a judgement on Mercedes cars based on the A-Class only.
post #103 of 159
Quote:

I don't mind the plastic. It's certainly not in the league of the iPhone but it feels well built compared to others in the Android class. iFixit breakdowns show a well made device. Old like to get my hands on a Bada-based device but first I need to get a Lumia.

I haven't really touched a Samsung device since the Galaxy S...I don't think that was well made.

edit: Also not a fan of the UI
post #104 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with AD.

Okay, so know everyone is pondering whether they are a geek and should be offended.

Actually, AT&T customer service sucks, so "waiting in line" was about an hour. Sorry, but the Galaxy sucks. You just don't need a phone that big and clunky, it is plasticy and flimsy feeling.

The whole geek thing is valid, if the people who design phones are the ones who spend their days readying phone specs, who own six phones, and memorizes the instruction manual, then the phone is going to suck.

Sorry, having a local weather widget as the awesome feature displayed in all your phone ads is just stupid.

Hardwiring a search button is a sign of a poorly designed phone and probably why Google is phasing it out, at least as a physical button. And it seems on some newer Android phones they are finally getting a clue phasing out the two or three ugly logos that have been typical on most Android phones.

If you want me to tell you you have a nice phone, then get rid of all of the obvious junk.
post #105 of 159
Quote:

To be fair Samsung is an apple copycat in a lot of ways. Hence why I abhor touchwhiz and especially v1 with the galaxy S.

But they are great hardware makers. Could be better

I do place HTC above them and I like where they're going with their One series.

Samsung and LG are both stuck. They are two of the most innovative companies in the world when it comes to advancing the technology bits themselves (for example, LCD and OLED screens, flash memory, processors, etc...), but when it comes to creating a finished smartphone, neither has much inspiration in them. They both just build what they think consumers want (iPhone clones), but this is a disease that has affected lots of Asian conglomerates, where design is done by committee.

IMO the current top Android manufacturer is HTC - their modifications actually do something positive to Android, is unique, and no matter how much some people dislike their 'unpure' Android, it provides a good user experience. I also think that Huawei and Lenovo will be a force in the future, they are some of the more original and ambitious Chinese manufacturers.
post #106 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Any of you guys own a Galaxy SII?

I dont. I know people who do including my wife. She went from an iphone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy SII. She likes it and has been happy with it.

Both phones have their strengths and weakness
post #107 of 159
Quote:

unlike you I don't give a flying fuck if you do not like my phone...I do not go around spreading unsubstantiated BS about another brand simply because they do not align with my interests...

Unsubstantiated?

Just look at the masses of android phones, it is hard to miss how badly they are designed. If you think I am bias, try me, just design a decent phone for a change.

How badly do you really need search that you need a perminent button? Maybe just make things easier to find?

Why do you need your cell phone providers logo printed on the front of the phone. Hey, if I buy a phone I know who made it so I don't need a perminent advertisement day in and day out on the front of my phone.

You can get offended if you like, but bad design is bad design.
post #108 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

I saw this picture of phones before the iPhone and phone after the iPhone. Strangely, all the phones after the iPhone looked like the iPhone. Anyway.

If you are referring to the picture posted on this forum a week or two back, it was heavily doctored to distort history.

Touch screen phones without dedicated call buttons predated the iphone. To be fair to samsung they were making smart phones before Apple. That said, the form factor post iPhone has seen a degree of convergence.

The iphone game changer has been the use of multi-touch capacitive screens and the selling of the smart phone concept to otherwise uninterested people (in and of itself, this has been very significant). Other than that there had been very little innovation in the phone market in the last handful of years, by which I mean most of the features/(core) functions on current phones predate the iPhone.
post #109 of 159
Quote:

Unsubstantiated?

Just look at the masses of android phones, it is hard to miss how badly they are designed. If you think I am bias, try me, just design a decent phone for a change.

How badly do you really need search that you need a perminent button? Maybe just make things easier to find?

Why do you need your cell phone providers logo printed on the front of the phone. Hey, if I buy a phone I know who made it so I don't need a perminent advertisement day in and day out on the front of my phone.

You can get offended if you like, but bad design is bad design.

The nice thing about the capacitive search button, is that no matter what app you're in (browser, Google maps, Google earth, Yahoo, Bloomberg, etc...), you press that 1 button and you're searching, no matter where the search function is located in that app (not all app makers put it in a consistent place). Ditto for the menu button. You may not like the 'design', but some people like the functionality.

BTW, the cell provider logo on the front is an American thing, phones in Canada and elsewhere generally don't have that (my HTC phone certainly doesn't).

And yes, some Android phones are poorly designed, other's aren't, but in general, the OS is quite functional, and some manufacturers do make great devices.
post #110 of 159
Quote:

That is a rather silly point. Off hand, I can't think of any current handset without the makers name on it. Some put them on the back, so that you "advertise" it to everyone else when you use it...
post #111 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

That is a rather silly point. Off hand, I can't think of any current handset without the makers name on it. Some put them on the back, so that you "advertise" it to everyone else when you use it...

BINGO!!!

I actually think the coolest thing Google ever did was design the Android logo, or have it designed. It really isn't a logo, it is a smoking icon, which is the only tech logo out there that can stand up to Apples logo. If they were to demand that every Android phone maker put that logo 3/4 inch on the backpack of their phone Android might stand a chance of standing up against Apple's marketing.

I have nothing against logos, I just don't want to see it day in and day out while I am using my phone. And many service provider's logos just plain suck....such as Verizon's which never seems to fit anywhere.
post #112 of 159
Quote:

backpack of their phone Android

Back of their phone, rather.
post #113 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

The nice thing about the capacitive search button, is that no matter what app you're in (browser, Google maps, Google earth, Yahoo, Bloomberg, etc...), you press that 1 button and you're searching, no matter where the search function is located in that app (not all app makers put it in a consistent place). Ditto for the menu button. You may not like the 'design', but some people like the functionality.

I hear ya, I have heard several android uses honestly say they like the search button. I can live with than.

Then I start pondering, search is easy to find on the iPhone. The problem is I just never find myself using it. I have probably used it five times in three years. Stuff just isn't all that hard to find. Now with Siri I don't even use the keyboard that much.
post #114 of 159
Yeah, but can the Galaxy S II call you "Rock God"?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #115 of 159
Quote:

BINGO!!!

I actually think the coolest thing Google ever did was design the Android logo, or have it designed. It really isn't a logo, it is a smoking icon, which is the only tech logo out there that can stand up to Apples logo. If they were to demand that every Android phone maker put that logo 3/4 inch on the backpack of their phone Android might stand a chance of standing up against Apple's marketing.

I have nothing against logos, I just don't want to see it day in and day out while I am using my phone. And many service provider's logos just plain suck....such as Verizon's which never seems to fit anywhere.

I don't understand where you are going with this.

Windows Phone 7 has their logo as the "start" button and often handsets have the same logo on the back yet it I have never heard anyone suggesting that it impacts upon sales. I am not even sure that the logos on the back of phones has any effect when the phone is in use given that it is obscured by one's hand.
post #116 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Android is all Samsung at this point. And, I do not fear any company that has the bal** and ineptitude to bring something like the Note to the market. I checked it out at Best Buy today. Exhibit A for POS

No fear

Apparently enterprises in Switzerland are adopting the Note on a large scale. They have sold over two million so far. Ineptitude it was not. I was on a train in Switzerland recently. Sitting across from me was what 20+ years ago I would have called a yuppie. He was using a Note and also had an iPad. The Note got a lot more use.
post #117 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Recent statistics put Android way ahead of the pack as it gobbled up 50.9 percent of the market in 2011. In comparison, second place Apple's iOS managed only a 23.8 percent market despite growing some 8 percent year to year.

Just as Android continues to rule the handset market, so does the iPad with its complete domination of the tablet space.

This is not correct. Google themselves have just reported that Android devices number 300 million:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/g...illion-device/

Apple reported 250 million iOS devices in October:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/a...-devices-sold/

They shipped 37 million iPhones, 15 million iPads and about 7 million iPod Touches since then so that gives Apple a grand total of:

309 million iOS devices.

They are at least level-pegging. Android is not at 50% marketshare nor even close to it - they have 50% sales share, which is almost meaningless at present. It means that Android will grow more quickly than iOS but what matters right now is shipped volumes.

Anyway, while the Galaxy S2 is a nice smartphone, it has actually sells much less than the iPhone. 20 million units in 10 months. Apple sold nearly double that in 3 months. I would nonetheless call it the benchmark Android phone and you can't give the award to Apple every year, that would make for a boring award show - it also runs the risk of a meaningless award show falling out of media circulation.
post #118 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is not correct. Google themselves have just reported that Android devices number 300 million:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/g...illion-device/

Apple reported 250 million iOS devices in October:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/04/a...-devices-sold/

They shipped 37 million iPhones, 15 million iPads and about 7 million iPod Touches since then so that gives Apple a grand total of:

309 million iOS devices.

They are at least level-pegging. Android is not at 50% marketshare nor even close to it - they have 50% sales share, which is almost meaningless at present. It means that Android will grow more quickly than iOS but what matters right now is shipped volumes.

Anyway, while the Galaxy S2 is a nice smartphone, it has actually sells much less than the iPhone. 20 million units in 10 months. Apple sold nearly double that in 3 months. I would nonetheless call it the benchmark Android phone and you can't give the award to Apple every year, that would make for a boring award show - it also runs the risk of a meaningless award show falling out of media circulation.

Your numbers would be a measure of their total shipments. For accounting of market share we have to consider the timeframe, in this case 3 months or 1 year. We also have to consider that when people talk about Android OS having 50% market share they are only talking about the smartphone market. iOS seems to be on par with Android OS for all devices though I figure Android OS activations will take a lead over devices sold with iOS in the next quarter.

post #119 of 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

you can't give the award to Apple every year, that would make for a boring award show - it also runs the risk of a meaningless award show falling out of media circulation.

Nice expalantion.
post #120 of 159
Psychiatrists could have a field day with this entire forum, but especially with this thread.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MWC names Galaxy S II best smartphone, iPad 2 best tablet