or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to begin production of 7.85" iPad in third quarter of 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored to begin production of 7.85" iPad in third quarter of 2012

post #1 of 117
Thread Starter 
A new rumor claims Apple's supply chain partners have begun delivering samples for a 7.85-inch iPad to the company in preparation for volume production that could start as early as the third quarter of 2012.

DigiTimes reported on Thursday that, according to industry sources, makers within Apple's iPad manufacturing system have sent over the samples for "verification." The publication wasn't entirely sure whether production would actually begin in the third quarter, but it called the possibility "likely."

Tipsters went on to suggest that the rumored smaller iPad could reach a price as low as $249-299. According to them, Apple will likely release an 8GB iPad 2 for between $349-399 and lower the price of the 16GB iPad 2 to $449.

Reports that Apple is investigating the possibility of a "mini" iPad have emerged out of Asia for some time. The Wall Street Journal gave a boost to the rumor's credibility last month when it reported that Apple officials have shown suppliers designs for an 8-inch iPad model. The device would reportedly have a similar screen resolution as the iPad 2 in spite of the smaller form factor.

The Journal did caution, however, that Apple may not have fully committed to the project yet and could ultimately scrap it.

Apple is poised to unveil its third-generation iPad at a media event in San Francisco next Wednesday. Invites for the event tease that the iPad maker has something "you really have to see…and touch."


Apple's March 7 event invitation, via The Loop.


The next-gen iPad is expected to sport a Retina Display with a resolution of 2,048 by 1,536 pixels. It will also likely have a faster processor and may include 4G LTE connectivity. Apple may be prepping for near-immediate availability of the device, as rumors coming out of China suggest that shipments of the so-called "iPad 3" are scheduled to arrive in the U.S. by March 9.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 117


Again with the DigiTimes

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #3 of 117
Seriously? This rumor goes around every few months. Let it go...
post #4 of 117
I would be all for this. A lower priced 7.85 iPad with thinner bezel and 1024x768 resolution would be a nice option to have.
post #5 of 117
not going to happen... iPad is iPad because of its present form factor.. if they are going to change anything they might go for a bigger form factor in couple of years. I dont think merging a mobile phone and Tablet features in one size is going to that big a market. and the most important reason of all.. I dont think Apple will want to confuse their customers with too many form factors of basically the same device.. They failed 14-15 years back they will fail again.
post #6 of 117
Hmmm.. I wonder how much sandpaper will be included with the model?

Seriously though, one thing people have to realise is that one can never say never. 3 years back, Apple decided that the 9.7" screen size is the optimal size. A lot changes in 3 years and if there is now a market for a 7.8" tablet, then Apple can go for it if they choose to.

And of course, my OCD will compel me to get one.
post #7 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I would be all for this. A lower priced 7.85 iPad with thinner bezel and 1024x768 resolution would be a nice option to have.

It would certainly be the way for Apple to tackle the low end of the market if they felt it was a threat. However, I don't think it is and wonder how this could hurt the quality of the brand and make it more difficult for devs to support 2 iPad resolutions at 2 sizes for 3 different display consideration.

Would they make iBooks Author for this? If they were going to come out with an 8" model that to me seems be better for Education due to price would they not have waited in introducing iBooks Author or is it safe to say this is counted out? Certainly 8GB won't work well with textbooks.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #8 of 117
Yes, yes, this is being built by a team of Apple new hires.

There are other new hires teams working on the matte-screen iMac, Mac mini-tower, 4.5" iPhone, iPad running OS X Snow Leopard, iPod Hi-Fi 2, next-generation iPod sock, Mac Pro G5...

post #9 of 117
Oh not this again...
post #10 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Hmmm.. I wonder how much sandpaper will be included with the model?

Seriously though, one thing people have to realise is that one can never say never. 3 years back, Apple decided that the 9.7" screen size is the optimal size. A lot changes in 3 years and if there is now a market for a 7.8" tablet, then Apple can go for it if they choose to.

And of course, my OCD will compel me to get one.

1) For the iOS for iPad UI it's optimal. For a smaller display it wouldn't be. icons would be smaller and placed closer together (pixels, not distance).

2) 9.7" being optimal doesn't mean other sizes aren't good or useful. For example, I think the 13.3" Mac notebooks are optimal for the average user but that doesn't mean I think that any other size display isn't good or useful.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #11 of 117
iCloud makes managing multiple iOS devices easy.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #12 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Oh not this again...

What's more likely LTE in the iPad or a 7.85" iPad?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #13 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

but, but, but you have to file your fingers down because DJ (Dead Jobs) said so.

hmm. If the Kindle Fire and other 7" tabs are having no effect on Apple, as claimed by Cook, why is Apple building this device?

This won't be a smaller iPad... it will be a LARGER iPod Touch. The touch is a great gaming machine right now, this will make it even better. They can spread out the Touch's pixels and just hit the ground running using all the current iPod Touch games in the store.

This is the "product transition" Apple was talking about.
post #14 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

This won't be a smaller iPad... it will be a LARGER iPod Touch. The touch is a great gaming machine right now, this will make it even better. They can spread out the Touch's pixels and just hit the ground running using all the current iPod Touch games in the store.

This is the "product transition" Apple was talking about.

That's how I see it. It not only keeps the iPad intact but it prop up the shrinking iPod market. There is an additional tactic Apple can employ by calling it a touch: TN panel. People think the iPhone and touch have the same 960x640 display but one is IPS and the other TN. Obviously this helps keep costs down.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #15 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

not going to happen...

I recall a lot of people here saying the Verizon iPhone would never happen, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

iPad is iPad because of its present form factor.. if they are going to change anything they might go for a bigger form factor in couple of years. I dont think merging a mobile phone and Tablet features in one size is going to that big a market. and the most important reason of all.. I dont think Apple will want to confuse their customers with too many form factors of basically the same device.. They failed 14-15 years back they will fail again.

Look at the phone market. The fragmentation of the Android market, while excessive, has not seemed to slow down the big market share gains Android has made. The dire predictions many here made about fragmentation destroying Android have yet to come true. It appears that price and offering users a choice has more than made up for any fragmentation concerns. One of the biggest reasons I hear from people who have chosen something other than an iPhone is the "one-size-fits-all" solution Apple is offering. (and I don't necessarily mean "size" as limited to physical size)

Now look the tablet market. Yes, Apple clearly holds the high ground. But does that mean they should sit on their perch and watch Android tablets on the low ground surround them? If more Android tablets start emerging on the low end of the market, they will also inevitably take stabs at the high ground. So Apple can sit and watch that happen, or they can build defenses on the low-end of the market to prevent any small form-factor Android tablets from ever gaining traction.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there is an argument to be made for the strategy. If there is no market for the Android tablet to grow and mature, it will be less of a threat to the iPad, in whatever sizes it comes in.

As far as "confusing customers" (again, this was often cited as a reason why there would never be a Verizon iPhone), did the multiple form factors of the iPod confuse people? They all did the same thing, and that seems to have worked out pretty well for Apple.
post #16 of 117
An 8GB iPad is useless. If you consider the OS then you are looking at less than 7GB of useful storage. Beside, the iPad ebooks, apps, and videos are considerably larger that those for the iPhone. So 8GB won't cut it.
post #17 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

An 8GB iPad is useless. If you consider the OS then you are looking at less than 7GB of useful storage. Beside, the iPad ebooks, apps, and videos are considerably larger that those for the iPhone. So 8GB won't cut it.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...tal-consumers/

says the avg person has 35 apps installed in their device. In the end it's about choice. The best thing Apple can do is find a frictionless way to expand the iPad empire. Keeping the bar of entry at $499 and above isn't the wisest thing to do IMO.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #18 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

not going to happen... iPad is iPad because of its present form factor.. if they are going to change anything they might go for a bigger form factor in couple of years. I dont think merging a mobile phone and Tablet features in one size is going to that big a market. and the most important reason of all.. I dont think Apple will want to confuse their customers with too many form factors of basically the same device.. They failed 14-15 years back they will fail again.

I love these posts. And when I mean love, I mean I can't believe how idiotic they are. Everything that Apple might do that you might not want them to do is equivalent to them being doomed, right? Apple will suddenly 'fail' like how they did 15 years ago by releasing a smaller iPad? Even when there isn't a HINT of similarity in what that company was back then to what it is now? How do you know SJ didn't personally greenlight the smaller ipad to be released in the future? And it's going to 'confuse' their customers? What, just like how everyone is confused that they have laptops in 4 different sizes? I can't see a smaller ipad creating any confusion- as long as it runs the same apps, etc, it will be a choice between 2 sizes. Not that big of a deal. I think most consumers are smart enough to make a decision on something so basic as size. Also, why would a larger ipad be a good thing, but a smaller one will confuse everyone?

You people need to stop it with the 'not going to happen' bullshit, then proclaiming that Apple will fall into catastrophe if that does happen. You have no idea what Apple will do, and when they do eventually do this, you'll end up looking like a fool.
post #19 of 117
While not impossible, if you were Apple, would you rather spend a lot of time and effort to develop a smaller iPad at 8", redo any necessary UIs to handle the size difference in their OS, make 3rd party developers redo any of their UIs to handle it, fragment your product lines even more for a market that might not really be there and it just be a good price-point...OR find a way to cut more cost on the building of a current product with minimal development, like cutting the amount of memory, and just keep building those already developed products with minor changes, reducing fragmentation, but having it cheaper at around $350. According to the estimated build costs from various sources they would still be making a good chunk of money off the iPad 2 at that price, not as much but still some, and save a ton of money on development for it. Then continually keep lowering the price, like they've done with the iPhone 3GS.

I bet the market for the smaller tablets is existent not because people are wanting a smaller tablet, but because those tablets are cheaper. If you could get a 10" tablet down to $200-$300 I'll bet it would kill them off quickly. The 7"-8" tablet doesn't really get you more portability or benefit over a 10". Its still too big to put into normal sized pockets, so you would still need to carry it separately or in a bag. You lose screen real estate and usefulness with a smaller screen obviously. You'll likely lose battery life due to the reduction in possible battery space. The 7"-8" tablets aren't gaining popularity because of the size, its because of their price.
post #20 of 117
My aunt has a Kindle Fire

My gf daughter bought a Kindle Fire

I've met a handful of other people that purchased the Kindle Fire.


Those weren't millions of fantom sales. There is a market for people that want a tablet but don't want to invest $500 for one.

I'm totally cool with a $399 iPad 2 remix but even then it's still in a high price bracket.

A smaller iPad at $299 -$349 is a viable option for some and quite honestly I think the market is just beginning to bloom.

Cloud technology and easy Wifi make any mobile device worth it. Sure it's smaller but so is my 3.5" iPhone display and I get around on that thing well enough.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

but, but, but you have to file your fingers down because DJ (Dead Jobs) said so.

And of course now that Jobs is dead Apple can dump all his plans and opinions and do whatever they want and will.

The only reason anyone has given for why Apple would make a 7" inch iPad is to beat the Fire. But based on the numbers (3 million Kindle models of any kind sold last quarter for example), the iPad is already beating it at the present cost and size. So why fix what ain't broke.

If anything is coming out of these rumors it is more likely to be a slightly larger iPod touch that could focus on the whole gaming thing. Great for the kids, great as a controller for those AirPlay friendly games like Real Racing and so on. But it will be an iPod scaling up the ipod/iphone apps, not an iPad scaling down. There's no need for it to be otherwise
post #22 of 117
The frquently reported limitation of the 9.7" IPS panels actually gives some credence to this rumour, in part. I'm not keen on it being an iPad and wonder about the 8GB limitation but getting a different size display in the mix could help sell more devices without hurting 9.7" iPad sales.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #23 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



Again with the DigiTimes

Will WTF 2.0 be a JonnyPalm. And will it be made with al-u-men-e-um
post #24 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The only reason anyone has given for why Apple would make a 7" inch iPad is to beat the Fire.

How about a great competitor to handheld game consoles. If they use the same GPU as what is expected to run the iPad 3's 2048x1536 display on a 1024x768 display that would seem pretty impressive. Note I have not compared specs to Sony and Nintendo's upcoming devices.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #25 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love these posts. And when I mean love, I mean I can't believe how idiotic they are. Everything that Apple might do that you might not want them to do is equivalent to them being doomed, right? Apple will suddenly 'fail' like how they did 15 years ago by releasing a smaller iPad? Even when there isn't a HINT of similarity in what that company was back then to what it is now? How do you know SJ didn't personally greenlight the smaller ipad to be released in the future? And it's going to 'confuse' their customers? What, just like how everyone is confused that they have laptops in 4 different sizes? I can't see a smaller ipad creating any confusion- as long as it runs the same apps, etc, it will be a choice between 2 sizes. Not that big of a deal. I think most consumers are smart enough to make a decision on something so basic as size. Also, why would a larger ipad be a good thing, but a smaller one will confuse everyone?

You people need to stop it with the 'not going to happen' bullshit, then proclaiming that Apple will fall into catastrophe if that does happen. You have no idea what Apple will do, and when they do eventually do this, you'll end up looking like a fool.

Firstly
Secondly, Calling people who post their thoughts idiotic and names is pretty juvenile grow up.

I never said Apple will suddenly fail, My argument is that why would Apple want to fragment their customer base. The main reason they cannot sell more of their product is that they cannot manufacture them fast enough. I dont read too many news saying that apple is sitting on unsold inventory of their products, they sell everything.
I do agree with one point that you make that a smaller ipad running the same apps will find many more users other than me. My take is always make a good thing better will always find a market, and Apple has been always about quality than quantity and honestly I dont see how a smaller iPad will do things better unless it is designed for a totally different use.
post #26 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I recall a lot of people here saying the Verizon iPhone would never happen, too.



Look at the phone market. The fragmentation of the Android market, while excessive, has not seemed to slow down the big market share gains Android has made. The dire predictions many here made about fragmentation destroying Android have yet to come true. It appears that price and offering users a choice has more than made up for any fragmentation concerns. One of the biggest reasons I hear from people who have chosen something other than an iPhone is the "one-size-fits-all" solution Apple is offering. (and I don't necessarily mean "size" as limited to physical size)

Now look the tablet market. Yes, Apple clearly holds the high ground. But does that mean they should sit on their perch and watch Android tablets on the low ground surround them? If more Android tablets start emerging on the low end of the market, they will also inevitably take stabs at the high ground. So Apple can sit and watch that happen, or they can build defenses on the low-end of the market to prevent any small form-factor Android tablets from ever gaining traction.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there is an argument to be made for the strategy. If there is no market for the Android tablet to grow and mature, it will be less of a threat to the iPad, in whatever sizes it comes in.

As far as "confusing customers" (again, this was often cited as a reason why there would never be a Verizon iPhone), did the multiple form factors of the iPod confuse people? They all did the same thing, and that seems to have worked out pretty well for Apple.

I am not saying that I am 100 % percent right these are just the thoughts I felt and posted it out here, It is fair that no one agrees with me but I have the right to be wrong too mate
Apple and android are targeting two different markets and from the amount of money that Apple is making, I don't see any reason for them to divert their product range to encompass the who complete user base, but hey I don't run the company I just use their products. If they do start manufacturing a smaller iPad bigger iPhone and if they succeed good for them. Until that happens I guess thoughts will be posted and people will have ideas.

And about Android having market share might be good, but Apple raking in over 50% of the profits in the mobile industry and with just around 10% market share in mobiles not just smartphones is a statement in itself.

During the time, about people saying that Verizon iPhone not happening, I was eagerly waiting for Apple to launch their bloody phone in India l
post #27 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

Firstly
Secondly, Calling people who post their thoughts idiotic and names is pretty juvenile grow up.

I never said Apple will suddenly fail, My argument is that why would Apple want to fragment their customer base. The main reason they cannot sell more of their product is that they cannot manufacture them fast enough. I dont read too many news saying that apple is sitting on unsold inventory of their products, they sell everything.
I do agree with one point that you make that a smaller ipad running the same apps will find many more users other than me. My take is always make a good thing better will always find a market, and Apple has been always about quality than quantity and honestly I dont see how a smaller iPad will do things better unless it is designed for a totally different use.

I wasn't calling you an idiot. I was calling the style of post you wrote idiotic, the one that says that Apple will surely fail if it does X, because you say they will. Thats one hell of an assumption, and its nice to have a bit of humility when making such statements.

As for fragmentation, my point is that a smaller iPad will cause no significant fragmentation. I can see Apple coming out with a 7.85" iPad at the current resolution in the future, and discontinuing the 1024x768 9.7" iPad. There will then be 2 models- the low rez smaller one, and high rez larger one. Just like how apps right now are 'universal' and can be run on both the iPhone and iPad, universal apps will also run on both iPads. I can't see the UI needing any changing at ALL. Obviously the resolution will be quadrupled for the high end iPad, but the ratio will stay the same just as it is now. Also, I don't believe that any UI elements will need to change to accommodate the slightly smaller size. It would be the same resolution as the current display, in a slightly smaller form-factor and thus a higher density display. Basically the smaller version will replace the iPad 2. Honestly I think this approach would be an elegant solution, and wouldn't cause excessive headache for developers. The iPad is Apple's future, and I can't see them not expanding the line in some way.
post #28 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

I am not saying that I am 100 % percent right these are just the thoughts I felt and posted it out here, It is fair that no one agrees with me but I have the right to be wrong too mate
Apple and android are targeting two different markets and from the amount of money that Apple is making, I don't see any reason for them to divert their product range to encompass the who complete user base, but hey I don't run the company I just use their products. If they do start manufacturing a smaller iPad bigger iPhone and if they succeed good for them. Until that happens I guess thoughts will be posted and people will have ideas.

And about Android having market share might be good, but Apple raking in over 50% of the profits in the mobile industry and with just around 10% market share in mobiles not just smartphones is a statement in itself.

During the time, about people saying that Verizon iPhone not happening, I was eagerly waiting for Apple to launch their bloody phone in India l

Fragmentation of the Android market is because the Manufacturers don't standardize a single thing. Play with the Android SDK, you're not guaranteed a touch screen, keyboard or input device at all. The screens can be all sorts of crazy ratios and resolutions. And the manufacturers are all a bunch of shovelware lovers. Android devices are pretty much trash to anyone that is not a hacker type. I don't see this being fixed anytime soon either.

Apple's stuff just works, and is kept simple, but drives hacker-types crazy with the lack of things like SD card slots and USB ports. Apple doesn't love them.

50% share of the profit in the mobile industry shows you where to follow the money.

As for the Verizon iPhone, there was a logical reason for this, and that again had to do with the radio chip being used. Verizon and Sprint's 3G networks are the inferior networks, but you have people who don't want AT&T, and you're better off just making a slightly-inferior device because that's the only way to make one for an inferior network. The current 4S uses a Qualcomm chip that does both 2G GSM, 3G UMTS(which is WCDMA), and 3G CDMA. The next model should have a chip that does 2G GSM, 3G UMTS, 3G CDMA, 4G LTE, and add in the AWS band that T-mobile and all the other regional carriers got saddled with.

A 7.8" iPad or iPod Touch XL or whatever is likely designed to fit into the hand of someone who likes to read paperback novels or comics/manga. It could be designed for the Asian market where they like smaller devices. Or they may just have that size for China and use less flash memory to make it cheaper. I think it's a rather stupid idea myself, but "smaller Asian model" or "Larger American model" tends to fit other product design decisions for electronics, not just Apple (See Nintendo and Microsoft's compromises for American and Japanese markets.)
post #29 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

This won't be a smaller iPad... it will be a LARGER iPod Touch. The touch is a great gaming machine right now, this will make it even better. They can spread out the Touch's pixels and just hit the ground running using all the current iPod Touch games in the store.

This is the "product transition" Apple was talking about.

Completely agree. The iPad works because the UI is optimal for the screen size, just as the UI for the iPod touch is great for smaller devices. So if they do anything, they'll increase the dimensions up, not down. Although, almost 8" is pushing the limits on how far you'd want to stretch the resolution - when they release a larger iPod touch, the screen will be closer to 6"
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #30 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

not going to happen... iPad is iPad because of its present form factor.. if they are going to change anything they might go for a bigger form factor in couple of years. I dont think merging a mobile phone and Tablet features in one size is going to that big a market. and the most important reason of all.. I dont think Apple will want to confuse their customers with too many form factors of basically the same device.. They failed 14-15 years back they will fail again.

Yup, as confusing as different sized iMacs and MacBooks. Oops.
post #31 of 117
Just noticed it's not due out until Q3 2012. That surely gives devs plenty of time to rebuild their apps for the new size but that's an awful long time and longer than Apple gave for the original iPad where iPhone apps would look even more out of place. Sound like this rumour is unraveling too quickly.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #32 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor claims Apple's supply chain partners have begun delivering samples for a 7.85-inch iPad to the company in preparation for volume production that could start as early as the third quarter of 2012.

It sounds more like someone somewhere just really wants a cheap 7" iPad and like the Apple television, will keep suggesting it until it happens. We get it, the market is ripe for cheap, high quality products to drive the stock price sky high. This same rumour has been going around for a while - if it was in any way true, it would surely have manifested itself by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Tipsters went on to suggest that the rumored smaller iPad could reach a price as low as $249-299. According to them, Apple will likely release an 8GB iPad 2 for between $349-399 and lower the price of the 16GB iPad 2 to $449.

The only way they could do this is to make it the equivalent of the iPod Touch vs the iPhone: previous generation processor, half the RAM, TN panel vs IPS, lower quality camera. However, all I think this will achieve in the case of the iPad is cannibalisation of the sales of the bigger iPad, especially if it's half the price and it drives people to the lower quality products.

I do think there is a market for a cheaper, smaller device as the Kindle demonstrates but I don't think they'd want to kill sales of the 10" iPad to the point that it would be unprofitable.
post #33 of 117
Great. Now, for the similar sized MacBook Air. The ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tools. For heavier work, just get the larger models.
post #34 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

The reason we wouldn't make a seven-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit a price point, it's because we don't think you can make a great tablet with a seven-inch screen.



In no way do I think this quote is indicative of Apple's current reluctance to release a product as envisioned in the article, I just wanted to add a relevant quote from Steve.
post #35 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

Yup, as confusing as different sized iMacs and MacBooks. Oops.

PC's and tablets are inherently different right now, hence my thoughts that it will not work. As I replied to some of the earlier posts, I am fine with Apple doing everything and am sure there are a whole lot of people who will like that.
post #36 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Fragmentation of the Android market is because the Manufacturers don't standardize a single thing. Play with the Android SDK, you're not guaranteed a touch screen, keyboard or input device at all. The screens can be all sorts of crazy ratios and resolutions. And the manufacturers are all a bunch of shovelware lovers. Android devices are pretty much trash to anyone that is not a hacker type. I don't see this being fixed anytime soon either.

Apple's stuff just works, and is kept simple, but drives hacker-types crazy with the lack of things like SD card slots and USB ports. Apple doesn't love them.

50% share of the profit in the mobile industry shows you where to follow the money.

As for the Verizon iPhone, there was a logical reason for this, and that again had to do with the radio chip being used. Verizon and Sprint's 3G networks are the inferior networks, but you have people who don't want AT&T, and you're better off just making a slightly-inferior device because that's the only way to make one for an inferior network. The current 4S uses a Qualcomm chip that does both 2G GSM, 3G UMTS(which is WCDMA), and 3G CDMA. The next model should have a chip that does 2G GSM, 3G UMTS, 3G CDMA, 4G LTE, and add in the AWS band that T-mobile and all the other regional carriers got saddled with.

A 7.8" iPad or iPod Touch XL or whatever is likely designed to fit into the hand of someone who likes to read paperback novels or comics/manga. It could be designed for the Asian market where they like smaller devices. Or they may just have that size for China and use less flash memory to make it cheaper. I think it's a rather stupid idea myself, but "smaller Asian model" or "Larger American model" tends to fit other product design decisions for electronics, not just Apple (See Nintendo and Microsoft's compromises for American and Japanese markets.)

I could not have written better. Nice post (At least for me, I dont want to start a war over here ). Agree totally where in you point out that Apple Products just work and are kept simple.

Thanks.
post #37 of 117
This rumor is completely made up. The device will definitely sport a 7.854798333" display!
post #38 of 117
I just hope it will be 7" and not more. I have a Galaxy tab 7, and this one fits into most jacket pockets. Any bigger and it won't fit. As the tab is 16x9, a 4:3 7" would also not fit... But as I've yet to see someone at apple wearing a jacket+tie my whishes will probably not be taken into account
post #39 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I recall a lot of people here saying the Verizon iPhone would never happen, too.


Now look the tablet market. Yes, Apple clearly holds the high ground. But does that mean they should sit on their perch and watch Android tablets on the low ground surround them? If more Android tablets start emerging on the low end of the market, they will also inevitably take stabs at the high ground. So Apple can sit and watch that happen, or they can build defenses on the low-end of the market to prevent any small form-factor Android tablets from ever gaining traction.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there is an argument to be made for the strategy. If there is no market for the Android tablet to grow and mature, it will be less of a threat to the iPad, in whatever sizes it comes in.

As far as "confusing customers" (again, this was often cited as a reason why there would never be a Verizon iPhone), did the multiple form factors of the iPod confuse people? They all did the same thing, and that seems to have worked out pretty well for Apple.

Apple's strategy has never included targeting the low-end market. It avoids it. Apple isn't concerned about cheap Android tablets gaining traction. People that bought Kindle Fires woundn't have bought an iPad instead. They weren't willing to pay a lot for a tablet, and the Kindle Fire's cheap price tag satisfied that requirement. Apple doesn't compete on pricing, it competes on features and user experience.

Apple without doubt, could sell many more units and increase market share dramatically if it offered a cheaper iPad, iPhone, and Mac to appeal to price conscious consumers. Why should Apple focus on increasing market share? If you owned a business what would you care more about? Selling to more customers or making more money? The purpose of a business is making money. Having all the customers in the world won't keep a business afloat if it can't make money serving them.

Going after the low-end market doesn't make financial sense for Apple. iPhone is 25% of smartphone unit sales, but 75% of smartphone profits. Going after the other 75% of unit sales doesn't offer much in increased profits, and likley will pressure current margins due to expanded overhead- R&D & marketing. In the iPad market, Apple has virtually all the industry profits since other tablets sell at loss or very low margin. If Apple were to offer a cheap iPad it would probably have to sell 20 units to generate the same profit as selling one high-end iPad.

A $399 iPad 2 makes a lot of sense. Consumers who aren't willing to pay $500 for iPad- and are buying $200-$300 tablets, might be willing to spend $100-$200 more to buy an iPad whereby they weren't willing to spend $300 more.

Android tablets and other tablets tried to compete with iPad, and they got destroyed. RIM, HP, Motorola, and Samsung didn't sell when similarliy priced with iPad. The very few units actually sold were due to fire sales to clear channel inventory.
post #40 of 117
As vivid as the DigiTimes authors minds are, they should go into brainstorming movies for Hollywood. Hollywood can't come up with anything new, and DigiTimes can't print anything but wild ideas.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple rumored to begin production of 7.85" iPad in third quarter of 2012
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to begin production of 7.85" iPad in third quarter of 2012