or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to begin production of 7.85" iPad in third quarter of 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored to begin production of 7.85" iPad in third quarter of 2012 - Page 2

post #41 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What's more likely LTE in the iPad or a 7.85" iPad?

Haha! LTE in the iPad3, THAT'S how ridiculous I find this 'rumour' lol
post #42 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How about a great competitor to handheld game consoles. If they use the same GPU as what is expected to run the iPad 3's 2048x1536 display on a 1024x768 display that would seem pretty impressive. Note I have not compared specs to Sony and Nintendo's upcoming devices.


I can't see it. It's good for casual games - but they can't go head to head with the PS Vita without a massive jump in power and buttons. Nintendo being forced to "add on" joysticks after the release of the 3DS highlights this. You just cant play football/fighting/FPS games without a joystick and buttons. On screen controls are crap in comparison.
post #43 of 117
Makes no sense.

Would be nothing but a big distraction for Apple. And it would confuse customers.

I'm personally in favour of less Apple products, not more.

No 17" MacBook Pro. No Airs. No MacBook Pros. (11, 13 & 15" AirBooks as Apple's only laptops)

No iPod touch. (cheaper and cheaper iPhones)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #44 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I recall a lot of people here saying the Verizon iPhone would never happen, too.



Look at the phone market. The fragmentation of the Android market, while excessive, has not seemed to slow down the big market share gains Android has made. The dire predictions many here made about fragmentation destroying Android have yet to come true. It appears that price and offering users a choice has more than made up for any fragmentation concerns. One of the biggest reasons I hear from people who have chosen something other than an iPhone is the "one-size-fits-all" solution Apple is offering. (and I don't necessarily mean "size" as limited to physical size)

Now look the tablet market. Yes, Apple clearly holds the high ground. But does that mean they should sit on their perch and watch Android tablets on the low ground surround them? If more Android tablets start emerging on the low end of the market, they will also inevitably take stabs at the high ground. So Apple can sit and watch that happen, or they can build defenses on the low-end of the market to prevent any small form-factor Android tablets from ever gaining traction.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there is an argument to be made for the strategy. If there is no market for the Android tablet to grow and mature, it will be less of a threat to the iPad, in whatever sizes it comes in.

As far as "confusing customers" (again, this was often cited as a reason why there would never be a Verizon iPhone), did the multiple form factors of the iPod confuse people? They all did the same thing, and that seems to have worked out pretty well for Apple.



A key reason why Android is doing well on mobile phones is because they're sold at a subsidized price by mobile carriers, who are incentivized to push Android over iOS.

This leads to a key reason why Android tablets aren't doing so well - they're sold unsubsidized via various retail channels where consumers can make up their own minds instead of being pushed towards one device by a carrier salesperson.
post #45 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Hmmm.. I wonder how much sandpaper will be included with the model?

Seriously though, one thing people have to realise is that one can never say never. 3 years back, Apple decided that the 9.7" screen size is the optimal size. A lot changes in 3 years and if there is now a market for a 7.8" tablet, then Apple can go for it if they choose to.

And of course, my OCD will compel me to get one.

Where is the market for that size tablet? Outside of Amazon who has a smaller tablet that is selling well? And with Amazon it's more about the kindle name than anything else. And of course the $199 price point. But Apple makes it's money off hardware not content so I can't see them ever selling something with that low of margins.
post #46 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

but, but, but you have to file your fingers down because DJ (Dead Jobs) said so.

hmm. If the Kindle Fire and other 7" tabs are having no effect on Apple, as claimed by Cook, why is Apple building this device?

dude! ... where is your respect?... Jewish people deserve respect (as your signature states so), and as such, so does the late Steve Jobs!...

show some class!
post #47 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

Apple's strategy has never included targeting the low-end market. It avoids it..

Not completely true, or there would have never been an iPod Shuffle. But, I think Apple might start selling the iPad 2 cheaper to compete with the wannabes.
post #48 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

My aunt has a Kindle Fire

My gf daughter bought a Kindle Fire

I've met a handful of other people that purchased the Kindle Fire.


Those weren't millions of fantom sales. There is a market for people that want a tablet but don't want to invest $500 for one.

I'm totally cool with a $399 iPad 2 remix but even then it's still in a high price bracket.

A smaller iPad at $299 -$349 is a viable option for some and quite honestly I think the market is just beginning to bloom.

Cloud technology and easy Wifi make any mobile device worth it. Sure it's smaller but so is my 3.5" iPhone display and I get around on that thing well enough.


Lots of people bought netbooks for a while due to their portability and low price. They were drawn by the wow factor of owning a tiny notebook computer at a price far below the average for a typical notebook. Later this market died off when users finally realized they were pieces of junk.

The color Kindles sell well because they're cheap enough to make them seem like an appealing purchase for consumers who can't afford an iPad and because they're tied into Amazon's well established marketplace. Most reviews so far have pointed out their poor build quality, performance, UI and overall user experience. Once the wow factor of owning your first tablet wears off, people will see its flaws and start craving a higher quality device. Todays' Kindle owners are tomorrow's iPad switchers, especially as iPads become more affordable.

The iPhone is the perfect size for a device that's always with you, carried in your pocket. IPad is the perfect size for a highly portable, lightweight device providing a larger screen size and days' of battery life. MacBooks fill the need for a fully cable portable computer with even larger screens, more power, etc. Each product in Apple's lineup fits a distinct niche.

I
post #49 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

My aunt has a Kindle Fire

My gf daughter bought a Kindle Fire

I've met a handful of other people that purchased the Kindle Fire.


Those weren't millions of fantom sales. There is a market for people that want a tablet but don't want to invest $500 for one.

I'm totally cool with a $399 iPad 2 remix but even then it's still in a high price bracket.

A smaller iPad at $299 -$349 is a viable option for some and quite honestly I think the market is just beginning to bloom.

Cloud technology and easy Wifi make any mobile device worth it. Sure it's smaller but so is my 3.5" iPhone display and I get around on that thing well enough.

That segment of the market will be served by Apple offering last year's model at a lower price point, as they currently do wit the iPhone. Fragmenting the platform by creating an unnecessary new form factor is stupid.
post #50 of 117
i just bought a droid xyboard 8.2 and the size is PERFECT.

Now how do i get IOS installed.
post #51 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I would be all for this. A lower priced 7.85 iPad with thinner bezel and 1024x768 resolution would be a nice option to have.

You'd be all for tiny-assed icons and incessant inadvertent touches, you say?
post #52 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post


And of course, my OCD will compel me to get one.

We need some therapy.
post #53 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



Again with the DigiTimes

THis is funny!
post #54 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Hmmm.. I wonder how much sandpaper will be included with the model?



The extra .85 inch makes all the difference.

While a 7 inch iPad would be DOA, this is not a 7 inch iPad.

All those DOA tablets could have been raging successes, if only...
post #55 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

This won't be a smaller iPad... it will be a LARGER iPod Touch.

And the difference is....what?
post #56 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Android devices are pretty much trash to anyone that is not a hacker type.

Ummm....wait. I thought Android devices sold mostly to people who use them as dumbphones.

Please make up my mind.
post #57 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's how I see it. It not only keeps the iPad intact but it prop up the shrinking iPod market. There is an additional tactic Apple can employ by calling it a touch: TN panel. People think the iPhone and touch have the same 960x640 display but one is IPS and the other TN. Obviously this helps keep costs down.

IPod Touch with the A5 and iPad with the A6 hence the parallel development and support for both in iOS 5.1 ....?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #58 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by flail View Post



In no way do I think this quote is indicative of Apple's current reluctance to release a product as envisioned in the article, I just wanted to add a relevant quote from Steve.

Thank you for that.
post #59 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

Apple's strategy has never included targeting the low-end market. It avoids it.

It makes as much sense as Ferrari manufacturing an econobox car.

Apple makes F1-class products. Always has, always will. Apple doesn't even know how to make a great $500 computer. That would be like Ferrari making a truck.

It will never happen.
post #60 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Makes no sense.

Would be nothing but a big distraction for Apple. And it would confuse customers.

I'm personally in favour of less Apple products, not more.

No 17" MacBook Pro. No Airs. No MacBook Pros. (11, 13 & 15" AirBooks as Apple's only laptops)

No iPod touch. (cheaper and cheaper iPhones)

Got that right...
post #61 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

A key reason why Android is doing well on mobile phones is because they're sold at a subsidized price by mobile carriers, who are incentivized to push Android over iOS.

This leads to a key reason why Android tablets aren't doing so well - they're sold unsubsidized via various retail channels where consumers can make up their own minds instead of being pushed towards one device by a carrier salesperson.

It may make sense to you, but evidence says otherwise.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...subsidies.html
In countries without traditional subsidies Android-based smartphones outsell Apple's iPhone by far. Avoiding subsidies altogether actually encourages Android smartphone take-up. IMHO there's no reason to think the tablet space won't follow the same path within another year or two, barring any Apple move into the lower-end of the market. Having said that, I do believe Apple will go after the 7-8" entry market sooner rather than later.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #62 of 117
If anything the iPad wants to be bigger, not smaller, especially with double resolution. An 11" to 12" iPad would be an awesome business tool and a fantastic textbook reader, and could exist alongside a 9.7" (or slightly smaller) standard res iPad.

The 7.85" size is pointless. 6" e-Ink readers are on the big end of pocketable. 7.85" is too big for pockets, even coat pockets, yet it is a small size in terms of the current UI.

It's not just a question of fingers, but of eyes. the iPad is already smallish for many Web sites, so making it smaller would force people to zoom and pan a lot more.

The only reason for the 7.85" size is price, and that's not a good reason by itself. As others have pointed out, Apple skipped the netbook market and was right. It should skip the 7" tablet market as well.

If Apple wants to deliver a portable reader, it should sell a 6", single-purpose, capacitive touch e-Ink reader. This would let people read their iBooks on e-Ink. I know a number of people who have e-Ink Kindles (or Nooks), and an iPad, to serve very different roles.
post #63 of 117
So far there hasn't been one person who gets the 7.85" iPad.

This will be Apple's answer to the Samsung Galaxy Note. If Samsung can make people look ridiculous by having them hold the equivalent of a netbook to their ear then Apple can go one further... just make sure you remove the stylus first or you'll have it sticking straight out of your ear.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #64 of 117
I sure hope it's not any bigger than 7". That's the perfect size: you can still fit it into a pocket, it's the same size as a trade paperback. Much more usable for carrying around where ever you go than the current iPad size.

People who complain that that is somehow too small don't know what they're talking about. There are plenty of very usable 7" tablets out there, some of them are actually really good. No one has any issues with needing sanded down fingers. The only thing that sucks about them is they run Android instead of iOS.
post #65 of 117
[darkhumor]

Apple had to wait to be able to sand Steve's fingers down.....

[/darkhumor]
post #66 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i just bought a droid xyboard 8.2 and the size is PERFECT.

Now how do i get IOS installed.

No that size is not perfect. If anything the iPad is too small, but it's certainly not too big. But it's also too heavy, so...

No I think the intelligently went with the right size and they'll stick to it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #67 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I sure hope it's not any bigger than 7". That's the perfect size: you can still fit it into a pocket.

Comedy pockets.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #68 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

This won't be a smaller iPad... it will be a LARGER iPod Touch. The touch is a great gaming machine right now, this will make it even better. They can spread out the Touch's pixels and just hit the ground running using all the current iPod Touch games in the store.

This is the "product transition" Apple was talking about.

Yes I agree. The iPod Touch has kind of lost it's mojo over the past couple of years. iPod sales have been declining and the Touch is neither one thing nor the other for many people. Most adults have probably moved over to the iPhone with the iPod Nano for the gym, etc leaving the Touch mostly for kids and people who can't afford an iPhone. The 3.5" screen is too small to play games for any length of time, the 64GB memory is too small to entice the iPod Classic owners to upgrade and so on.

I think they'll seek to reposition the Touch and differentiate it from the iPhone. Give it a bigger screen (somewhere between 5" and 7"), give it 128GB memory at the top and reposition it as more of a portable games device that you can also listen to music, watch movies and read books. Perfect size for the handbag if you need an eBook reader, etc, etc.

At the same time I think they'll move the iPod Nano up to take its place. 16Gb & 32GB with an even thinner and lighter size, Bluetooth support for wireless headphones. Wear it as a watch, sync it with your iPhone, or just use it as the ultimate MP3 player.
post #69 of 117
Red herring to keep the competitors making that useless 7" form factor.
post #70 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Where is the market for that size tablet? Outside of Amazon who has a smaller tablet that is selling well? And with Amazon it's more about the kindle name than anything else. And of course the $199 price point. But Apple makes it's money off hardware not content so I can't see them ever selling something with that low of margins.

Exactly. There's an iPad market and that's it. The Fire doesn't compete with the iPad because it isn't a full-fledge tablet device.

Personally, I wonder why Sammy hasn't come out with a Galaxy Tab Pi sized edition.
post #71 of 117
The "7" on the invitation = 7.85" form factor. Damn! I'm so stupid that I didn't recognize that.
post #72 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The 3.5" screen is too small to play games for any length of time

Sure, because no one ever played games on a GameBoy. And certainly no one plays games on a DS.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #73 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Makes no sense.

Would be nothing but a big distraction for Apple. And it would confuse customers.

I'm personally in favour of less Apple products, not more.

No 17" MacBook Pro. No Airs. No MacBook Pros. (11, 13 & 15" AirBooks as Apple's only laptops)

No iPod touch. (cheaper and cheaper iPhones)

What makes no sense is using absurdly large font size to call attention to oneself and to compensate for who knows what.

What makes even less sense is to reply to it while maintaining the font size (ZZZ ...)
post #74 of 117
Its not an iPad. Its an in dash infotainment unit for the Volkwagen Group. Its going to debut in the new A3. Siri voice activated.
post #75 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

And the difference is....what?

Significant, if you are going with existing resolutions in order to avoid any major fragmentation issues. Can you keep the resolution of the iPad 2 and just cram it into a smaller space? Will the UI still be usable? And the reverse with the iPod - can you enlarge the space and live with the magnification of the UI?
post #76 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Its not an iPad. Its an in dash infotainment unit for the Volkwagen Group. Its going to debut in the new A3. Siri voice activated.

Hmmm...
Is this three or four times you've said the same thing beginning last fall. You never post any backup for the claim tho, even after at least two other requests to expand on why you think that. Third time charm if I ask again? Not saying you're incorrect but you give no reasons to believe you've got the correct explanation.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #77 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Significant, if you are going with existing resolutions in order to avoid any major fragmentation issues. Can you keep the resolution of the iPad 2 and just cram it into a smaller space? Will the UI still be usable? And the reverse with the iPod - can you enlarge the space and live with the magnification of the UI?

Even past the technical issues you mention there are marketing issues. To me, branding it an iPod is better than an iPad if they are going to make a cheap alternative to the iPad. For instance, using a TN panel instead of IPS.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #78 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Hmmm...
Is this three or four times you've said the same thing beginning last fall. You never post any backup for the claim tho, even after at least two other requests to expand on why you think that. Third time charm if I ask again? Not saying you're incorrect but you give no reasons to believe you've got the correct explanation.

I think he just really, REALLY wants something like this.

So do I; in-car touchscreen systems really need the Apple touch. Usability is laughable right now.

But do I want Apple to do them? Eh, not really.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #79 of 117
deleted by poster
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #80 of 117
There are always reasons for having multiple sizes.

I never agreed with Steve about 7" tablets. I had no issue with the 7" form factor other than it's very poor in a 16x9 configuration.

The problem with small screens has be solved with the iPhone. Pinch to Zoom,Reader, Pop overs and more UI elements. The problem with the lack of the physical keyboard has been helped by Siri.

I chatted with a Doctor once that said he went into an Apple store with a lab coat on to see if the iPad fit in his coat. It didn't.

I'm not saying this has to be a $200 product but it would make hay at $299.

The reason why this rumor keeps cropping up because it's basic business. The iPad doesn't need to be cheap but it down need to go downmarket a bit.

Apple takes a 30% cut on all paid products on the iTunes store. Increasing the size of overall pie is desirous.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple rumored to begin production of 7.85" iPad in third quarter of 2012
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to begin production of 7.85" iPad in third quarter of 2012