or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to unveil 8GB iPad 2 alongside 'iPad 3' on March 7

Rumor: Apple to unveil 8GB iPad 2 alongside 'iPad 3' on March 7 - Page 2

post #41 of 56
Smaller model with less storage for education, maybe?
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Smaller model with less storage for education, maybe?

You need MORE storage for education. How many times has this been said? Textbooks are HUGE files.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Misdirection!

Could be. Wouldn't be a bad move to flood the nets with less than ideal news about new products. It's one thing for a company like Apple to plug a leak, but it's also just as good to know where the leaks occur so you can use leakage to your advantage.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You need MORE storage for education. How many times has this been said? Textbooks are HUGE files.

Tallest Skil is correct.

Go ahead and download a sample chapter from a typical textbook. It will likely be well over 100MB. One chapter.

The typical textbook will probably range around 1.5GB. Since iOS takes up about that much space, an 8GB iPad would conceivably have room for maybe four textbooks.
post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the iPad market is different than the iPhone market. Just because they kept the older phones around doesn't mean they will make the same move with the iPad. The phone is different because it is subsidized. About the only people I think who would be interested in a iPad 2 with only 8 GB are perhaps senior citizens who don't have music, videos, games and would use it mostly for keeping in touch with the grand kids, surfing the web and reading a book or two.

Or maybe Digitimes doesn't have any idea what it's talking about?

I think it's far more likely that we'll see iPad 3 in 16, 32, and 64 GB models and iPad 2 in 16 GB only. I'd like to see iPad 3 in 128 GB, but I would be surprised if that happens.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Tallest Skil is correct.

Go ahead and download a sample chapter from a typical textbook. It will likely be well over 100MB. One chapter.

The typical textbook will probably range around 1.5GB. Since iOS takes up about that much space, an 8GB iPad would conceivably have room for maybe four textbooks.

But also keep in mind that a tablet won't have to supplement all textbooks for all classes right away... or ever. TS is right in that 8GB is anemic but for starting out it might be fine. in a year 16GB can kick in or perhaps an 8GB iPad is designed for consumers. I would bet against an 8GB iPad but I can't rule it out.

Despite the January launch there are still only 9 full textbooks on the store with 5 being at or below 1.5GB, and 3 being under 1GB. Pearson's 3 books, even for the same subject as McGraw-Hill, are about double size ranging from 2.3 to 2.8GB.

edit: I ran the numbers yesterday: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...24#post2059224

post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or maybe Digitimes doesn't have any idea what it's talking about?

I think it's far more likely that we'll see iPad 3 in 16, 32, and 64 GB models and iPad 2 in 16 GB only. I'd like to see iPad 3 in 128 GB, but I would be surprised if that happens.

I that setup sounds most likely to me, too.

We have an issue with reliability and speed with going with denser NAND flash. I think that is what the Anobit purchase is to help alleviate but I wouldn't expect anything for awhile.

post #48 of 56
Education is also K-12 folks. Let's not assume that Higher Ed is all that matters. In fact here in Washington State lot's of Middle Schools are rolling out iPad programs.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #49 of 56
Abandoning the 64 gig model makes no sense. If anything, I could see Apple abandoning 16 gigs in an iPad 3, instead boosting capacities to 32/64/128 and relegating the 16 gig configuration to the iPad 2.

I'd love to see sales figures for which configurations most people buy, broken down by wifi or 3G. I have a feeling that 16 gig and 64 gig models are most popular.
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Abandoning the 64 gig model makes no sense. If anything, I could see Apple abandoning 16 gigs in an iPad 3, instead boosting capacities to 32/64/128 and relegating the 16 gig configuration to the iPad 2.

I'd love to see sales figures for which configurations most people buy, broken down by wifi or 3G. I have a feeling that 16 gig and 64 gig models are most popular.

It's from May of last year, but here you go.

http://gigaom.com/apple/most-popular...ost-expensive/
post #51 of 56
I'm very glad I sold my iPad yesterday. I'll miss having an iPad for a few weeks, but I got $425 for my 16 gig wifi iPad 2. Prices for used iPads are about to really drop if Apple starts selling new iPads for less than what people are currently paying for used iPads.

If you're thinking about selling your iPad to upgrade to an iPad 3, you'll probably get $100 more if you sell this week rather than next week or the week after.
post #52 of 56
Assuming an 8GB iPad JUST because it was done with the iPhone make little sense.
There are a number of people that buy an iPhone and use very few additional apps over the basic phone.
They really just want an easy to use phone, with a few easy to use applications that are common to phones, plus web access. 8GB is enough for these people.

That is not the same market as the iPad. People that think an iPad is just a large-screen iPhone are clueless.
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Makes no sense. I can understand a 8GB iPhone but not a iPad. IPads are more content reliant than an iPhone thus needing more memory for optimal use.

Not with iCloud.

But in general, I don't disagree.
post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Not with iCloud.

But in general, I don't disagree.

I would venture to guess that most people that would get a 8GB iPad would get a wifi version and iCloud wouldn't be available to them 24/7.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I would venture to guess that most people that would get a 8GB iPad would get a wifi version and iCloud wouldn't be available to them 24/7.

Depends. If, for example, it was used in an educational setting, iCloud would be available at the school and when the student goes home if the family has WiFi (as the majority of people do).

That said, I don't expect to see an 8GB unit. The cost savings are not high enough to justify the massive inconvenience and negative comparisons that the press would pile on.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #56 of 56
For power users the 8 doesn't make much sense, but for certain markets, and at the right price. I think the 8 makes a lot of sense. If it fell in the 299-349 price range my 77 year old mother would be very interested. She would never use 8 gigs. Also my 11 year old daughter would use it with ease, but of course she's not into much music at this point. She would out grow 8 but for next year of so it would be more than sufficient.
Personally, I would have to trim down some of my apps and photos and such, but I can see a market.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple to unveil 8GB iPad 2 alongside 'iPad 3' on March 7